True Stories From Podiatric Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey guys,

i thought i would introduce myself. I'm a Podiatric Senior House Officer (SHO) (kinda like an intern / resident) in England working in a Podiatric Surgery Unit.

Thought i'd join in on the day to day life of you chaps.

We excised a huge Neurolemmoma (or Schwannoma, whichever you like) from the medial planter nerve of a 23yr old male. At the time we was unsure what it was attached to, think we took out quite a lot of the plantar fascia! cool surgery though:D

The other day i had a patient attend with sutures in the nail of her hallux, she informed me she had banged her toe and the nail was hanging off. The A&E (ER) doc attempted to suture the nail back to the bed??????:confused:
Interesting stuff.. good to have you here.

Curious as to what the British standard for neuromas is... plantar or dorsal incision for the initial surgery? I've seen it done successfully both ways here on my 4th year student rotations, but each attending is convinced that their way is "the only way to do it" :D

Akermark C, Crone H, Saartok T, Zuber Z. Plantar versus dorsal incision in the treatment of primary intermetatarsal Morton's neuroma. Foot Ankle Int. 2008 Feb;29(2):136-41.

Members don't see this ad.

in my unit( and many i've rotated through) my consultant (attending) prefers the dorsal incision, we tend only to go for plantar when excising a stump re-growth.

Plantar incision makes it easier to get to, but its just the issue with plantar scarring!

So im trying to look into Pod schools for next year admittance. Any tips on which schools to go for so that i can find a secure residency? My GPA is a little low but my MCAT score is fine.

Also, i really am not fond of surgery, i do not want to perform it in my future practice, i like the other spectrum of podiatrics. I do not mind taking it during school though. Is it possible to not be a "surgeon" but still do podiatry?

Does anyone wanna share any of their salary experiences thus far?

Thanks for everyones help, reading through these forums makes me content i did not go to med school in the caribbean.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, i really am not fond of surgery, i do not want to perform it in my future practice, i like the other spectrum of podiatrics. I do not mind taking it during school though. Is it possible to not be a "surgeon" but still do podiatry?

Here's been my experience:

• In order to be listed on private insurance panels, I need to be on staff at the hospital
  • In order to be on staff at the hospital, I need to be Board Qualified or Board Certified by the American Board of Podiatric Surgery (they are specific about it being that agency and none other)
  • In order to be ABPS Board Qualified or Board Certified, you MUST do a minimum number of surgeries
  • In order to maintain my malpractice insurance coverage, I must be Board Qualified or Board Certified
What this amounts to is that in order to practice podiatry, I MUST be a surgeon unless I wish to not accept private insurance, and since most people here have private insurance they'd likely go to another doctor.

I'd also have to practice without any malpractice coverage, which is too scary for me.

I don't know if it's like that any place else but at least here it is, so take that into consideration.

Last week, old man slits his wrist to committ suicide due to the downturn of the stock market, he is afraid of becoming homeless even though he has $900,000 in liquid assets. In the OR to fix his lac w/ lacerated flexor tendons (FCR, FCU, FDS (3 and 4)) and median nerve and ulnar artery he codes on the table within 10 minutes into the procedure. CPR and he comes back. He goes to the ICU, now on the Psych floor. Case planned for this week to fix it.

Tonight a guy slipped in the shower and cut his finger with a ceramic soap dish slicing his ring finger in zone 2. He cut his FDP and FDS and ulnar digital nerve and artery. C case for micro repair of digital nerve with 9.0 prolene and repair of FDP.

Think I would get sued for doing this stuff in Michigan or WVA? They say soft tissue of the hand. Nerves and tendons are soft. :D

Last week, old man slits his wrist to committ suicide due to the downturn of the stock market, he is afraid of becoming homeless even though he has $900,000 in liquid assets. In the OR to fix his lac w/ lacerated flexor tendons (FCR, FCU, FDS (3 and 4)) and median nerve and ulnar artery he codes on the table within 10 minutes into the procedure. CPR and he comes back. He goes to the ICU, now on the Psych floor. Case planned for this week to fix it.

Tonight a guy slipped in the shower and cut his finger with a ceramic soap dish slicing his ring finger in zone 2. He cut his FDP and FDS and ulnar digital nerve and artery. C case for micro repair of digital nerve with 9.0 prolene and repair of FDP.

Think I would get sued for doing this stuff in Michigan or WVA? They say soft tissue of the hand. Nerves and tendons are soft. :D

I'd defend you! :laugh:

Krab, do whatever you want. We'll never question you!

Yesterday, I did a fibular osteotomy and repair of an anterior lateral talar dome lesion with an osteocure plug.

I went into the tail end of this case today...

I washed the guy out twice for his scalp and dorsal hand degloving from flipping his truck. On the palm of the hand we put in Hunter rods for the tendon defects a couple days ago but today the groin flap was done to cover the skin defect and tendons on the dorsal hand. It was done as a pedicle flap and to keep the arm in place the wrist was x-fixed to his ASIS.

Pretty cool.

I went into the tail end of this case today...

I washed the guy out twice for his scalp and dorsal hand degloving from flipping his truck. On the palm of the hand we put in Hunter rods for the tendon defects a couple days ago but today the groin flap was done to cover the skin defect and tendons on the dorsal hand. It was done as a pedicle flap and to keep the arm in place the wrist was x-fixed to his ASIS.

Pretty cool.

When I was on ortho, we had a guy with an open two bone fracture and he ended up getting a groin flap by plastics. That is pretty crazy stuff. They didn't x-fix it though.

Hey, are you going to East Crips? What about the AO course in Atlanta?

When I was on ortho, we had a guy with an open two bone fracture and he ended up getting a groin flap by plastics. That is pretty crazy stuff. They didn't x-fix it though.

Hey, are you going to East Crips? What about the AO course in Atlanta?

No to both.

I am not on ortho right now. I just scrub with certain attendings that do not have residents to stay out of trouble. I get bored easily.

I will be on ortho trauma Jan, Feb and March.

No to both.

I am not on ortho right now. I just scrub with certain attendings that do not have residents to stay out of trouble. I get bored easily.

I will be on ortho trauma Jan, Feb and March.

Sweet, I hope it's a good rotation. If it's like ours, it will be good for 50-60 rearfoot C's. The only numbers I didn't yet have were for rearfoot but that rotation took care of that (I was on July-Sept). Now I'm just cruising!

Sweet, I hope it's a good rotation. If it's like ours, it will be good for 50-60 rearfoot C's. The only numbers I didn't yet have were for rearfoot but that rotation took care of that (I was on July-Sept). Now I'm just cruising!

How come the pod rotations didn't cover rearfoot cases???

How come the pod rotations didn't cover rearfoot cases???

Podiatry covers a lot of rearfoot but the third years do a lot of it and what spills over, the second years do. I actually still got to do 10 or so ankles as a first year. But you need 50 rearfoot before graduation. I started my 2nd year on ortho and am well past that number now. It will only increase as I continue through my 2nd and then 3rd year on podiatry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last week I did a vascularized bone flap for a non-union of a scaphoid. It was in the wrist not the foot, but an awesome case. The artery that the bone flap is based on is 0.3mm in diameter.

Today I fused the 1st MPJ and ORIFed 4th and 5th met fx - in different patients.

Last week I also I&Ded a thigh, took out a nodular PVNS from the knee, I&Ded a puncture wound to the foot - septic joint. The nail went in just plantar to the 4th MPJ and apparently thru the joint. The MRI did not show anything appreciable, but the patient was exsquisitly tender. During the I&D the wound probed straight to the met head. Anyone know Patzaki's classification for puncture wounds to the plantar foot? I think it predicts 50%chance of OM in the forefoot.

That's all I got for now.

I start Ortho trauma on friday so I should have good stories for the next 3 months. Today the pod resident on Ortho trauma scrubbed B/L pilons w/ at least one calc fx too. Patient is F-ed.

Last week I did a vascularized bone flap for a non-union of a scaphoid. It was in the wrist not the foot, but an awesome case. The artery that the bone flap is based on is 0.3mm in diameter.

Today I fused the 1st MPJ and ORIFed 4th and 5th met fx - in different patients.

Last week I also I&Ded a thigh, took out a nodular PVNS from the knee, I&Ded a puncture wound to the foot - septic joint. The nail went in just plantar to the 4th MPJ and apparently thru the joint. The MRI did not show anything appreciable, but the patient was exsquisitly tender. During the I&D the wound probed straight to the met head. Anyone know Patzaki's classification for puncture wounds to the plantar foot? I think it predicts 50%chance of OM in the forefoot.

That's all I got for now.

I start Ortho trauma on friday so I should have good stories for the next 3 months. Today the pod resident on Ortho trauma scrubbed B/L pilons w/ at least one calc fx too. Patient is F-ed.

I did my ortho trauma from July-Sep. I actually do plastics in Jan.

Plastis is fun! There is a plastic guy here that has no residents so when ever I am free I scrub with him - we did a tummy tuck a few weeks ago.
Quik interesting idea?

Could a Pod surgeon make a great living, ONLY acting as a 1st assist in surgery to a bigtime plastic or cosmetic type surgeon in Cali only? Isn't Cali the ONLY state you can act as a 1st assist in surg, w/out being a gen surg or other MD/DO doc? Just wondering if the idea is poss?

Quik interesting idea?

Could a Pod surgeon make a great living, ONLY acting as a 1st assist in surgery to a bigtime plastic or cosmetic type surgeon in Cali only? Isn't Cali the ONLY state you can act as a 1st assist in surg, w/out being a gen surg or other MD/DO doc? Just wondering if the idea is poss?

Why would you wanna spend 7 years of schooling (post high school) to be a surgical assistant??? This was brought up once before and it sounded a bit odd. I believe you can first assist in Jersey too though.

Quik interesting idea?

...That doesn't sound like what a podiatrist is supposed to do. Sounds like a surgical assistant to me....They have a different school for that, you know.

Why would you wanna spend 7 years of schooling (post high school) to be a surgical assistant??? This was brought up once before and it sounded a bit odd. I believe you can first assist in Jersey too though.
You need to be a surgeon period. If you assist (its not an assistant but a surgeon to backup/help a primary surgeon). For example, a liver transplant needs 2 surgeons in case one has a problem/heart attack, etc.

If you hookup w/ a high profile surgeon in a huge pay field, you can ride his coat-tails as a kind of surgeon in HIS field if its lucrative. If the primary guy makes like $500K/yr, maybe he'll give you $200K/yr as a 1st assist, in surgeries such as ortho knees/hips/back or maybe a neurosurg guy that does spinal surgery, etc.

Its not the guy/tech. who hands a scapel but an actual licensed DOCTOR, able to stand in totally, if the 1st doc cannot continue.

I dont know about you gymman, but I'd much rather BE the high profile surgeon in a huge pay field. Podiatry is very lucrative, if done right.

I dont know about you gymman, but I'd much rather BE the high profile surgeon in a huge pay field. Podiatry is very lucrative, if done right.
No, I agree.

Yet the liability is on the 1st surgeon & less so on the 1st assist guy. So, its kind of a way to move into all kinds of options using DPM as a door opener. I'm not saying pods isn't great but saying that options to make more are out there, if the right situation presents. If you can't get into a long, long ortho surg residence (mostly cuz obviously, you're not a MD/DO), maybe this is an option to still do the same kind of work yet in a secure teamed-up environ. Just a thought, no idea where it'll go.

this thread has gotten way off topic - I'll help get it back.

Yesterday I did a calc fx, the fibula fx on a guy with a pilon and ex-fix, I&D of hip hematoma, and reduced a wrist.

Fun day.

3 more months!

this thread has gotten way off topic - I'll help get it back.

Yesterday I did a calc fx, the fibula fx on a guy with a pilon and ex-fix, I&D of hip hematoma, and reduced a wrist.

Fun day.

3 more months!

Distal radius fractures can be tough to reduce. How did you do the calc fx?

Distal radius fractures can be tough to reduce. How did you do the calc fx?

the distal radius fracture was dorsally dislocated - distal fragment completelly dorsally on proximal fragment w/ obvious dorsal angulation and also radial angulation and shortening compared to the ulna. The other interesting thing was that the pisiform on the lateral view was volarly subluxed since it is in the FCU tendon which was bow strung. pretty cool x-ray. The radiologist read it as carpal bones intact w/ distal radius fracture. So they aren't so good at wrist fx as well as foot fx.

The calc was fixed w/ hockey stick exposure and lateral calc plate. it wasn't that bad of a fracture. we restored the hight and width and took it out of varus. sanders 2ab if I remember the CT correctly.

today...

bunch of ankle fx
tib fib fx
distal femur fx with TKA - thru traction pin thru tibial midshaft at bedside
fem neck fx - pt fell off road bike on way to work
B/L calc fx
distal radial fx volarly displaced w/ deformity
prixmal humerus fx
olecranon and radial head fx
dislocated shoulder - unable to reduce in ED, closed reduced in OR
acetabular fx

And I am not on call tonight. I was on for the day.

today...

bunch of ankle fx
tib fib fx
distal femur fx with TKA - thru traction pin thru tibial midshaft at bedside
fem neck fx - pt fell off road bike on way to work
B/L calc fx
distal radial fx volarly displaced w/ deformity
prixmal humerus fx
olecranon and radial head fx
dislocated shoulder - unable to reduce in ED, closed reduced in OR
acetabular fx

And I am not on call tonight. I was on for the day.

Sounds like you're havin fun!! But wowwwwww.

ORIFed cominuted talar neck fx
close reduced ankle - trimal

presented for fx conference today - have to go thru the History of the patient and read the x-rays all fx (not just F&A).

Ice storm on the east coast = fractures in the ED.

Ankle fx
distal radius fx
ulna fx
distal tib fib fx
olecranon fx

In the OR I got to ORIF a non-union of a hamate body fracture - very rewarding.

Ice storm on the east coast = fractures in the ED.

Ankle fx
distal radius fx
ulna fx
distal tib fib fx
olecranon fx

In the OR I got to ORIF a non-union of a hamate body fracture - very rewarding.

I'm getting sick of this weather! Especially since I'm on plastics and am not reaping the benefits. I saw Kep at CRIP's.

Krabmas-

I have you beat. You may be able to fix pilon's and radial fx, but I bet you don't remember how to cut a toenail.

Today, I was fortunate enough to have cut not one, nor two, but five, count em, 5 SEPARATE patients toenails today.

And they all told me thank you. Now that's satisfaction.

I just gotta say in about 4 months, I'll be out on my 1st 4th year rotation and I DO NOT KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT ANYTHING. I'm actually a little terrified.

Great stories though, keep them coming.

Krabmas-

I have you beat. You may be able to fix pilon's and radial fx, but I bet you don't remember how to cut a toenail.

Today, I was fortunate enough to have cut not one, nor two, but five, count em, 5 SEPARATE patients toenails today.

And they all told me thank you. Now that's satisfaction.

I just gotta say in about 4 months, I'll be out on my 1st 4th year rotation and I DO NOT KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT ANYTHING. I'm actually a little terrified.

Great stories though, keep them coming.

Thank you for that. I LOLed by my self at home at the computer. When I first started reading I thought you were going to start listing exciting cases but no... nails, nails, nails.

I thought for sure that NY was the only school that cut nails. I thought we had a monopoly on that and a copywrite and infringment laws and a patent protecting us from any other school trying to teach its student to cut nails.

Today I did nothing ortho sort of by choice. I had a patient from the other day that had a IIB open tibial shaft fracture that was also a pilon - very weird pattern. Most shaft fx are in the shaft and do not involve the joint but this one traveled very distally and had joint involvement. So we ORIFed it after an ex-fix, then it still had an open wound anteriorly so we consulted plastics to close it and I scrubbed that case today.

It was supposed to be a medial hemisoleus pedicled muscle flap but after looking at the wound the plastic surgeon decided to just transpose the TA medially to cover the hardware and bone then skin graft over the muscle.
Still a cool case, but I had read for the flap and really wanted to see it.

So I had a patient admitted to my service for b/l lower extremity infections. He was a homeless Carnie (not sure if any of them truly have homes) accompanied by his wife. I was doing my morning rounds and noticed that he had a very rapid rate on his telemonitor. I went in to make sure he was ok only to catch a glimpse of the two of them completely naked in bed. He jumped out of bed, yelling and throwing things at me! I haven't signed to allow significant others to stay overnight with the patient since.

I also had a patient come into clinic with b/l calcaneal fractures. He claimed that he was on the roof and fell off because he had a seizure. His story made me think: I couldn't imagine him landing on both feet after suffering a seizure, so I questioned his story (but he was insistant), documented and admitted him for surgery the next day. Come to find out (the next morning he was handcuffed to the bed), he was running from the police and jumped off the roof into the neighbors yard (missed the swimming pool by inches).

So I had a patient admitted to my service for b/l lower extremity infections. He was a homeless Carnie (not sure if any of them truly have homes) accompanied by his wife. I was doing my morning rounds and noticed that he had a very rapid rate on his telemonitor. I went in to make sure he was ok only to catch a glimpse of the two of them completely naked in bed. He jumped out of bed, yelling and throwing things at me! I haven't signed to allow significant others to stay overnight with the patient since.

I also had a patient come into clinic with b/l calcaneal fractures. He claimed that he was on the roof and fell off because he had a seizure. His story made me think: I couldn't imagine him landing on both feet after suffering a seizure, so I questioned his story (but he was insistant), documented and admitted him for surgery the next day. Come to find out (the next morning he was handcuffed to the bed), he was running from the police and jumped off the roof into the neighbors yard (missed the swimming pool by inches).

Those are great stories. It reminds me of a few that we have had too, very similar.

I did a SICK ankle fracture last night. The poor lady slipped on ice and had a fibula fracture and a huge posterior mall fx off of the tibia. I did an interfrag and plated the fibula but reducing and fixating the posterior fragment was rough. I got it with a few A/P 4.0's.

I did a SICK ankle fracture last night. The poor lady slipped on ice and had a fibula fracture and a huge posterior mall fx off of the tibia. I did an interfrag and plated the fibula but reducing and fixating the posterior fragment was rough. I got it with a few A/P 4.0's.

Why did you do an anterior approach for a posterior mal?

You can plate the fibula and get the post mal w/ a post/lat incision between the peroneals and the FHL. Have you done this? It is great exposure.

Has anyone had any experience with the Ilizarov method during their residency? The doc I work for performed a 7 hour surgery using this apparatus. Unfortunately she said I wouldnt be able to shadow as there would be tons of residents watching and assisting. I did, however, get to help clean and change bandages last thurs when the patient came in for post op visit!!:D

Why did you do an anterior approach for a posterior mal?

You can plate the fibula and get the post mal w/ a post/lat incision between the peroneals and the FHL. Have you done this? It is great exposure.

I use a posterior approach when I'm doing an anti-glide plate but I've never gone that far posterior. I've generally fixed posterior mall fractures with a few A to P screws percutaneously. It works real well and a lot of docs are doing it including a lot of guys at the AO course this past week. Is it hard to do a lag screw and lateral plate with such a posterior approach?

I use a posterior approach when I'm doing an anti-glide plate but I've never gone that far posterior. I've generally fixed posterior mall fractures with a few A to P screws percutaneously. It works real well and a lot of docs are doing it including a lot of guys at the AO course this past week. Is it hard to do a lag screw and lateral plate with such a posterior approach?

We just did a posterior approach for a pilon today. The axial on the CT showed the most displaced fragment to be posterior lateral. in order to reduce it an anterior approach would just be difficult, not to mention the soft tissue envelope is usually not as crappy posteriorly.

Eventhough physics dictates the lateral fib plate is for a butress and the posterior is for antiglide it seems to not matter if you put a plate posterior just to use as a butress. If you have a traditional oblique fib fracture you can put your compression screw from posterior to anterior either inf to sup or sup to inf. Then put the plate posterior and on top of the interfrag screw.

If the fibular fracture is not oblique then the miniplates in the minifrag set work really well for temporary fixation, then put your 1/3 tubular or zimmer fibular plate or anyother plate over the minifrag plate. all hardware is left in.
The miniplate thing works well for almost all fractures and may cost more in hardware but saves overall OR time.

I think the posterior approach is easier and better exposure especially if you use cerebellar self retaining retractors - much better than "extern" retractors.:D

If the posterior mal is almost reduced and just needs a percutaneous clamp for screw fixation then I agree that the med and lat approach are sufficiant w/ perc screws A-P.

There is a good paper that describes the approach...however at the end it does not recommend it, but w/out real basis.

1: J Orthop Trauma. 2006 Feb;20(2):104-7. Links
Complications associated with the posterolateral approach for pilon fractures.Bhattacharyya T, Crichlow R, Gobezie R, Kim E, Vrahas MS.
Partners Orthopaedic Trauma Service, Massachusetts General Hospital, and Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA.

OBJECTIVE: To review the complication rates of open reduction and internal fixation (ORIF) of tibial pilon fractures using the posterolateral approach. DESIGN: Retrospective review. SETTING: Two level I trauma centers. PATIENTS: Nineteen consecutive pilon fractures at an average of 13 (range, 13-45) months follow-up. Average age 46 (range, 21-72) years. Four of 19 were open fractures. INTERVENTION: Because of the high incidence of wound complications associated with the anterior approach for pilon fractures, patients were treated with initial temporary external fixation followed by delayed ORIF through the posterolateral approach to the distal tibia. The hypothesis was that the abundant soft-tissue coverage of the posterior distal tibia would decrease the rate of wound complications. MAIN OUTCOME MEASUREMENTS: The incidence of wound complications, nonunion, and early posttraumatic arthritis. This was a chart and radiograph retrospective review. RESULTS: The mean time to definitive treatment was 13 (range 2-30) days. Nine of 19 patients (47%) developed complications. There were 6 patients with wound problems, 2 patients with aseptic nonunions, 2 patients with infected nonunions, 3 tibiotalar fusions, and 1 patient with a 3-mm step off. In total, there were 14 major complications in 9 patients. Ten of 19 patients did not have any complication. CONCLUSIONS: The posterolateral approach does not eliminate the complications common to other approaches, but does offer a potential alternative when soft tissue concerns prevent other approaches. We do not recommend the posterolateral approach for the routine treatment of tibial pilon fractures.

PMID: 16462562 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

ANd this other one that I have not read yet...

1: Injury. 2000 Mar;31(2):71-4. Links
Postero-medio-anterior approach of the ankle for the pilon fracture.Kao KF, Huang PJ, Chen YW, Cheng YM, Lin SY, Ko SH.
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Kaohsiung Medical University, Taiwan, Republic of China.

A good view of the operative field is important for better reduction and fixation in surgical treatment of fractures. The exposure of the ankle joint for the pilon fracture is commonly through the anterior approach, or combined with the medical approach. But sometimes it is still difficult to have complete viewing of the articular surface and to apply internal fixation by that approach. In recent years, we developed a "postero-medio-anterior" approach of the ankle joint by one incision. This approach provides an excellent exposure of the anterior, medial and posterior aspects of the ankle joint with a clear view of the articular surface. In our 45 cases of pilon fracture during 1991 to 1995, there was no incisional injury to the neurovascular bundle. Superficial wound edge necrosis was noted in two cases which healed later without further procedure. Therefore, we recommend this approach as a simple and reliable incision for open reduction of pilon fractures.

PMID: 10748807 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Related ArticlesA staged protocol for soft tissue management in the treatment of complex pilon fractures. [J Orthop Trauma. 2004] Surgical options for the treatment of severe tibial pilon fractures: a study of three techniques. [J Orthop Trauma. 2001] Surgical treatment for pilon fracture of the ankle-open reduction and internal fixation. [Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 1998] ReviewPosterolateral approach for open reduction and internal fixation of trimalleolar ankle fractures. [Can J Surg. 2005] ReviewMarginal plafond impaction in association with supination-adduction ankle fractures: a report of eight cases. [J Orthop Trauma. 2001] » See Reviews... | » See All...
Are you coming to ACFAS?

Thanks, I'll take a look. I did another ankle today but it was just the fibula so I did my lateral approach with a posterior lateral plate.

This was a cool case that I saw at one of my externships (hopefully future home on March 9 haha): 24 y/o Caucasian male presents s/p Right intraarticular calcaneal fracture with comminution over one year ago. He was surgically treated by ORIF with screw and plate fixation but that failed. Preoperatively his talus was collapsed and he was severely malaligned in Rearfoot varus. The surgical plan was to fuse the subtalar joint with a bone-block arthrodesis using a fresh frozen allograft from a femoral head. The incision approach was posterior lateral to lateral and the surgeon was able to restore some height to the calcaneaus and successful alignment. He fired one fully threaded cancellous screw from the posterior plantar calcaneaus all the way to the talus and through the femoral head graft of course. This is why I love reconstructive foot and ankle surgery :)

I have read every single post in this thread with a bag of popcorn in my lap :D. Johnwill and Krabmas I have enjoy reading about all your cases. This thread is definetly an eye opener into the world podiatric surgery or podiatry in general. cool stuff guys, keep them coming. :bow:

On another note, I am wondering how in heaven you guys get to spend so much time in the OR and even operate as primary surgeons (in many cases) as PGY1s? When a lot of the general surgery residents do nothing but retract in the OR and mainly floor and ICU work until at least their second or third year.

Last edited:
On another note, I am wondering how in heaven you guys get to spend so much time in the OR and even operate as primary surgeons (in many cases) as PGY1s? When a lot of the general surgery residents do nothing but retract in the OR and mainly floor and ICU work until at least their second or third year.

We're actually both PGY-2's but it depends on the program. At some programs, ones don't do a whole lot and their is a lot of double scrubbing. But at high volume programs where you're sometimes doing 20-25 cases a day, there is plenty to go around. Obviously 1st years are going to get the cases and attendings that others don't care for. But on the other hand, when there are a lot of good cases going on, you're going to get to do some. I actually had my numbers for graduation shortly into my 2nd year.

we're actually both pgy-2's but it depends on the program. At some programs, ones don't do a whole lot and their is a lot of double scrubbing. But at high volume programs where you're sometimes doing 20-25 cases a day, there is plenty to go around. Obviously 1st years are going to get the cases and attendings that others don't care for. But on the other hand, when there are a lot of good cases going on, you're going to get to do some. I actually had my numbers for graduation shortly into my 2nd year.

+1

you gotta find that one interesting, i guess it was a good day

the down side to all the cases is having to log them:D

The snow is good for business.

On call this weekend - friday and sunday - that is q2.
Had 2 stab wounds to the arm that resulted in compartment syndrome. Got to stryker someone for the 1st time - volar and dorsal 60, mobile wad 30. Both got fasciotomies.

IM nailed a femur, ORIFed a humerus, Revision of malunion of a hip fracture (worst case ever), close redused(sp?) distal radius fracture, salter 2 distal radius fracture, distal both bone fracture.

splinted lady w/ comminuted olecranon fx w/radial head fracture dislocation.

ORIFed tongue type fracture calc w/ medial approach.

Repaired complex lac to leg w/ complete transection of SPN. Tagged nerve and sent to georgetown for peripheral nerve surgery.

ANd I managed 6 hours of sleep sunday night!