NSUCOM Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. hey ash- youre still finalizing? it took us quite a while too it seemed. things are so much harder in florida than ohio.

2. does anyone play racquetball? i've been playing pretty regularly with some friends the past year and a half and would like to keep playing. its a lot of fun and i know they have courts at the recplex.

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys,

how do you increase the amount of sub or unsub stafford loans?

and do you think we will need the money they say we do for summer term? since we're dont even have classes then.. kinda confused

can somebody clear this up for me?
thanks, much appreciated:)

hey guys,

how do you increase the amount of sub or unsub stafford loans?

and do you think we will need the money they say we do for summer term? since we're dont even have classes then.. kinda confused

can somebody clear this up for me?
thanks, much appreciated:)
The amount you receive in subsidized or unsubsidized loans is determined by your FAFSA. You will be allotted the maximum amount for each. I would tend to believe that you already have the maximum for both this year.

You will need the money for the summer term. The money is just distributed in three disbursements instead of two. If you choose to decline it, you're declining loans that contribute to your maximum (un)sub loans. This new procedure started this year to accommodate your OMS-II/III/IV years when you will start classes/rotations in July.

It is truly up to you whether you choose to decline the summer term loans, but I would not. You can always decline future loans if you believe you will not need it. Besides, the extra money will help you become situated during your first year (unforeseen costs, books, equipment, etc).

Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, my name is Brett. I'm going to be an M2 this year and am looking for a roomate. I'm a 23 year old male and live in downtown ft. lauderdale. The building is called Nu River Landing, and it's right on the Nu River. It's a gorgeous building if you look it up I know you'll agree. Anyways, the condo is a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom that came fully furnished and has never taken me more than 20 minutes to get to Nova in the morning or coming home in the afternoon since you're going against traffic. They have one room set up as a study so it would be just the 2 of us so you would basically have your own bathroom. Rent is $1100 a month and that includes most of the utilities too. (I'll have to double check exactly what is not, I don't remember off the top of my head). My e-mail is [email protected] if you'd like more information about it. The website to the building is below. It also has a pretty nice gym which isn't shown in the pictures (racketball court and half a basketball court are part of it).

http://nuriverlandingcondos.com/

Hey guys, another quick financial aid question regarding Grad+ loans.

I could have sworn I read that NSU's OFA must be notified of your Grad+ loan status (amount requested so you can't request more than the CoA), but now I can't find where I read that. Nor do I know by what process we should alert NSU's OFA. Anyone have any advice on this? My Stafford loans are sitting around just waiting for disbursement and I just want to make sure my Grad+ loan is squared away, too.

Hey guys, another quick financial aid question regarding Grad+ loans.

I could have sworn I read that NSU's OFA must be notified of your Grad+ loan status (amount requested so you can't request more than the CoA), but now I can't find where I read that. Nor do I know by what process we should alert NSU's OFA. Anyone have any advice on this? My Stafford loans are sitting around just waiting for disbursement and I just want to make sure my Grad+ loan is squared away, too.
You call the OFA and make sure they are made aware that you have Grad Plus Loans. Sometimes, the OFA needs to be nudged so they know they have to click the button, literally, to approve the loans before its disbursement.

Anyone know how to view a weekly schedule for us? I know we can see our schedule now sorta but when I go to sharklink it doesnt tell me what sections I am in....anyone know any other way?

Anyone know how to view a weekly schedule for us? I know we can see our schedule now sorta but when I go to sharklink it doesnt tell me what sections I am in....anyone know any other way?

hey aterry,
i think the "big" classes like biochem and anatomy we are in a big lecture with the whole class. that part of the schedule is up on sharlink in the DO CLASS OF 2013 group, under the section "links" the only time we break into individual groups is when we go to our labs. according to the chart there are two groups, A and B, which are broken down by the academical societies. if you go check it out, there is a week to week breakdown of what our schedule is going to look like. i don't know how clear i am, but i hope this helps!

hey aterry,
i think the "big" classes like biochem and anatomy we are in a big lecture with the whole class. that part of the schedule is up on sharlink in the DO CLASS OF 2013 group, under the section "links" the only time we break into individual groups is when we go to our labs. according to the chart there are two groups, A and B, which are broken down by the academical societies. if you go check it out, there is a week to week breakdown of what our schedule is going to look like. i don't know how clear i am, but i hope this helps!

Haha thanks so much! I didn't even refresh my screen to see your reply until I replied my other post! Thanks for your help.

hey aterry,
Separated into Groups A and B. First five societies alphabetically are Group A and the latter Group B.

Hey guys,

So I just found out that our M1-M2 break is end of May and the rest of June, which means our summer terms consists pretty much of one and half months..(May-Aug 2)..

Anybody know why our summer break would be right in between our summer term and why our summer term is so short but we still pay a huge tuition amount..?

I'm not too fond of this new layout for this year..anybody know the answer to these questions?

Thanks so much, very much appreciated.

Hey guys,

So I just found out that our M1-M2 break is end of May and the rest of June, which means our summer terms consists pretty much of one and half months..(May-Aug 2)..

Anybody know why our summer break would be right in between our summer term and why our summer term is so short but we still pay a huge tuition amount..?

I'm not too fond of this new layout for this year..anybody know the answer to these questions?

Thanks so much, very much appreciated.
I am not aware of the new layout because I do not have the current OMS-I schedule, but if someone would send me it, I'm sure I'll be able to give you a reason.

Tuition used to be split into two terms, fall and winter. To split it up into three terms, allows money to be better distributed throughout the year. Before this change, students used to get their disbursements...in August, but in your OMS II/III/IV year, you start school in July. The redistribution of money just allows for better fund/disbursement flow. Believe me, this will better.

When would you like to have a summer break then if not during that time? The summer break is short because you start classes earlier OMS-II to allow a good amount of time to study for boards at the end. Though the abbreviated summer break "sucks," it will be your only true summer break in medical school. Enjoy it.

Hope that helps some.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a 2bed 2bath + balcony to rent in a gated community called Polo Glen, 10-15min away from NOVA built in 2002, in great condition, with basketball courts, tennis courts, heated pool, wifi by the pool, fitness center, and free candy in the leasing office. Rent is $620 + electricity. Move in date: July 15th. If your interested, send me an email at [email protected] and I can provide more details and pics.

So this is just a general question for those in the know...

There is a block of time on the Orientation Schedule that says "assessment" anyone know what that is...because if they are going to assess my organic chem skills its been a while and that would ruin my year

IamAriDO

Here is a link to the calendar I made last night. I put all the information from the pdf schedule they gave us. You should be able to import this into your calendars as needed. If you need any other access, let me know....I did make it all public. Oh, I am in group B for things and in the Still society so if you are in group A then you have to switch a couple of things, but at least the framework is there. If you have attempted this yourself, then you will thank me as it took like 4 hours to get all this put in!!!! LOL.

https://www.google.com/calendar/emb...google.com&color=#4A716C&ctz=America/New_York

Last edited:
wow, thanks! that really helps. oh by the way the link that you posted to the facebook group doesn't work though. it gives you the calendar, but with nothing there. thanks again!

Thanks for the heads up....I fixed the one on facebook and it just links to this post now. Calendars are a lot harder to share with people than I thought. If anyone has an iphone and wants to put the calendar on there, let me know and I can help! I had to teach myself a lot of things last night...LOL

hey guys
i am new to sdn and am in NSUCOM class of 2013. Was just wondering if anyone is living on campus in the rolling hills building. If so, when are you planning to move in?

yes there are quite a few people living there that i've seen on here and the facebook groups. most seem to be moving in between july 15-august 1.

Current students, how good are recorded lectures? Actually, does Nova have a service where they post lectures for you?

Thanks!
Also, This might have been addressed already but how do you know if you are in Group A or Group B?

Thanks!
Also, This might have been addressed already but how do you know if you are in Group A or Group B?

It is based on which academical society you are in, the breakdown is on page 3 of the class schedule pdf which is posted on sharklink in the class of 2013 group.

anyone know..what the hell they are building across the parking lot of HPD..thanks

anyone know..what the hell they are building across the parking lot of HPD..thanks

From what i've heard its part of the new university school that will house the lower, middle and high (upper) school students.

Weren't they also going to build a research building or something?

They are building a hospital too, but they had said the plans for it are on hold because of economic times.

Anyone else move here yet? I just moved into Sunforest this week.

OK....I'm REALLY jealous of all of you that are down there already.....Can't wait until August 1st, Florida has never sounded so good!!! :thumbup:

Anyone check out the beach yet :confused:

Anyone else move here yet? I just moved into Sunforest this week.

There's a whole bunch of us down here at this point. I think within the next week or so (i believe the 10th or 11th) were all doing a get together for happy hour. There is a whole thread in sharklink about it if your interested.

the beach is great. the ft lauderdale beach is very clean compared to other places ive been. dont count on many waves for surfing but the sand is very soft/clean. if you go down las olas thats where most of the bar/beach scene is. i also went to the hugh taylor birch state park the other day and it was pretty nice too. its right on the beach just north ft lauderdale off sunrise blvd.

Current students, how good are recorded lectures? Actually, does Nova have a service where they post lectures for you?

They are extremely poor if they are recorded at all. Rarely can they be counted upon :(

Post lectures? watcha mean? :)

There is a block of time on the Orientation Schedule that says "assessment" anyone know what that is...because if they are going to assess my organic chem skills its been a while and that would ruin my year
IamAriDO

Have no fear my friend, there is nothing that requires thought during orientation.

Last year, in Steele, the recorded lectures were not up to par. They worked for the most part, but the program worked better in Morris. Professors may post lectures on their website, but there is not a service where that is done. In second year, there is note service independent organization that is run by one of your classmates. Also, previous classes have created class websites where they are able to post the lecture slides from professors. It is up to your class as to what they want to do. Your lecture notes that that the school provides is sufficient in doing well in classes providing that you attend them.

Last edited:
Happy 4th of July everyone! get excited school starts in less than a month from now!

Hey all,

I am hoping someone here can help me. I posted this in the pre-osteo thread as well so sorry if you have read it twice.

I recently got my acceptance package for the class of 2014, entering fall 2010 (I interviewed this year and was offered a deferred spot for next year's class!). In the letter it says that I have to take 4 semester hours of organic chemistry with a grade of C or better. I got a C- in orgo 2 during undergrad. This is the first I have heard about needing additional semester hours.

I have no problem re-taking the class however, I don't remember there being a specific grade requirement for NOVA before. When I checked this years requirements it says C or better but I thought for the class of 2013 it just said satisfactory completion of the requirements. Am I imagining this or was it changed for this upcoming application cycle?

I am mainly asking because I am still on the alternate list for the year's class (2013) and if I am accepted I won't have time to complete orgo 2 before orientation. I want to know if there is a chance I can still go this year or if I should just start getting super excited for next year.

Thanks in advance!

I wish I could tell you that you'll be ok with your C-, but the truth is you will have to retake organic II and make a C or higher. I got a C- in organic I and I received the same notice from NSU in December '08. So this past spring I swallowed my pride and retook the class. It wasn't much fun, but you do what you have to do to keep moving forward. And btw, they never mentioned the C- to me during my interviews or talks with administration, until I got that letter.

Hey all,

I am hoping someone here can help me. I posted this in the pre-osteo thread as well so sorry if you have read it twice.

I recently got my acceptance package for the class of 2014, entering fall 2010 (I interviewed this year and was offered a deferred spot for next year's class!). In the letter it says that I have to take 4 semester hours of organic chemistry with a grade of C or better. I got a C- in orgo 2 during undergrad. This is the first I have heard about needing additional semester hours.

I have no problem re-taking the class however, I don't remember there being a specific grade requirement for NOVA before. When I checked this years requirements it says C or better but I thought for the class of 2013 it just said satisfactory completion of the requirements. Am I imagining this or was it changed for this upcoming application cycle?

I am mainly asking because I am still on the alternate list for the year's class (2013) and if I am accepted I won't have time to complete orgo 2 before orientation. I want to know if there is a chance I can still go this year or if I should just start getting super excited for next year.

Thanks in advance!

Hey all,

Thanks in advance!

Its always been a grade of a "C" or better. So C- wont cut it. In my acceptance letter they said I was short on gen chem hours and had to retake it before I was accepted. I got a C- in it from five years ago. So dont think it's just you. Happens to a lot of us. Just retake it and breeze by.

Thanks for the info. I figured I would have to re-take it. Oh well, at least I am in for next year!!

i just got my disbursement schedule for my grad plus loan and i'm a bit confused. on july 27th i'm scheduled to get $7120, but that only breaks down to 1400 a month to live on roughly. with 1 bedroom apts going for 1000 a month, that doesnt leave much wiggle room.

on the sharklink site under budget allowances it appeared we'd have at least 2100 to live on, or possibly 2800, depending on which sheet you looked at.

anyone have more info? i'll have to call OFA tomorrow. thanks guys!

i just got my disbursement schedule for my grad plus loan and i'm a bit confused. on july 27th i'm scheduled to get $7120, but that only breaks down to 1400 a month to live on roughly. with 1 bedroom apts going for 1000 a month, that doesnt leave much wiggle room.

on the sharklink site under budget allowances it appeared we'd have at least 2100 to live on, or possibly 2800, depending on which sheet you looked at.

anyone have more info? i'll have to call OFA tomorrow. thanks guys!

it sounds like you are just reading the disbursment schedule for the grad plus loans, you should also be getting stafford loans which after the school subtracts your tuition, should give you some more money for books/supplies, rent, and general living expenses.

I'm blowing that money on travel during my breaks

does anyone know what the homework situation is during orientation? on the schedule it looks like we have real "classes" but does that mean lectures actually start? will we have studying to do for that week?

i'm asking bc my parents are coming in for white coat the week of orientation and i dont know what to tell them regarding how much i'll be able to hang out...

I had a question about how classes work in general. Is it anything like the undergrad structure where you have a syllabus that describes what each class will be covering? That way you can be prepared for class? I think having a little better idea about how classes work in general might help people feel a little less nervous....thanks in advance!

so I'm still in shock, but I just got called off the waitlist for this year. I can't believe it! so much to do, so little time. I live in NY so relocating needs to happen asap...can't wait to join all of you!

so I'm still in shock, but I just got called off the waitlist for this year. I can't believe it! so much to do, so little time. I live in NY so relocating needs to happen asap...can't wait to join all of you!

wow...its crazy to see people getting called off the waitlist with less than a month before orientation starts--so much stuff to get in order.

Congrats.

Hey that's awesome...CONGRATS!