NSUCOM Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
disregard

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For those people not buying the endorsed Dell, what kinds of computers are you getting? I would still like a Dell, but $1800 seems overkill. Can anyone suggest minimum hard drive and other specs I should look for?
Thanks!!

For those people not buying the endorsed Dell, what kinds of computers are you getting? I would still like a Dell, but $1800 seems overkill. Can anyone suggest minimum hard drive and other specs I should look for?
Thanks!!
I'm going to get a levono thinkpad (formly IBM) http://www.lenovo.com/us/en/ I've only heard good things about them, all other PC laptop manufactures I have either had bad experiences with personally or know someone who has. I've only heard good things about the mac laptops as well.

Get at least 2-3 gigs of ram, 3 is the max windows XP will recognize if you are planning on running it. Hard drive size depends on your usage, if you download movies and stuff like that and keep them on your drive obviously you will want a larger drive. I'd recommend a hard drive that is 7200rpm. Processor, the faster the better, pick a compromise based on your budget constraints. Sometimes the processor options will have different front side bus choices(FSB), and cache choices, it might look like this (2.53GHz 1066MHz 6MBL2) the 2.53 GHz is the clock speed, the 1066MHz is the FSB and the 6MB is the cache. Generally choose the higher FSB and cache numbers. Screen size is a personal choice. You probably will want to pay attention to weights of the laptops too, some can be pretty heavy and if you are lugging it around all day that might bother you. Nova said there is no power outlets in the lecture halls, if this is true then you will want to get the battery with the largest # of cells, usually 9 cells. You might want to even buy a second 9-cell batt., just in case, battery life can vary widely depending on the particular laptop and what you are using it for.

If you need accessories like a printer, mouse, bag, software, whatever, generally it much cheaper from other sources, so you might want to shop around before checking all the accessory boxes. A great resource which I have been using for many many years is http://www.newegg.com Also most of their items have very useful reviews by users.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks redrumi.

ill be looking at laptops over the next two months and deciding on one. i am not seeing a real reason to get the nsu endorsed laptop. from nova's emails and chat transcripts it sounds like the only reason they picked it was cause it has a 12 hour battery life?? but you can buy an extended battery on any laptop now. also i dont like that i cannot specialize my hard drive, ram, processor, etc.

thanks redrumi that was extremely helpful!!!

Do you think it is necessary/worth it to get the Microsoft Office Professional? It is an additional $330-400 dollars, depending on the the company. The Microsoft Office student and home is only an additional $150 or so. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Hey Guys

First off congratulations on getting in.

As an M1 at Nova I wouldn't recommend getting the NSU computer or any new computer unless they have specifically said that you must have one to take your exams. Before this year started they offered the outrageously over priced Dell super computer to us as well and they have not been used in class or for tests at all. I know its cool to get new toys, but all you truly need your computer for here is checking emails, internet surfing, checking grades, and maybe looking for new Russian mail-order brides (turned out the last one used a photo of her much slimmer and better looking sister...)

Personally I would hold off, and feel out the situation when you get into the year. If you find that you definitely need to purchase a computer get one, if not you saved yourself $2K. Later on you can buy a regular laptop if needed, you can get one for less than $1K that will do the trick.

Tyrone Biggums "You know what dog food tastes like? Do you? It tastes just like it smells... delicious." haha glad to see another chappelle fan.

On a serious note about laptops- I am currently trying to determine the necessity for one. Based on comments here and the Dr. W's comments during the laptop chat, the only real academic necessity for a laptop seems to be for test taking. It seems there is common consensus to wait until mid-semester to feel out the situation until purchasing one. A few questions for Tyrone Biggums and any other current M1/M2s:

My current situation is that I have a 4 year old compaq laptop which basically has 10 minutes of battery power and 1gb of memory. I definitely am going to get a new laptop but the school offered $1500 dollar laptop seems like it has more than we realistically need. I don't want to spend money unnecessarily and a recent visit to best buy showed 700-800 dollar laptops with 5-7 hours of battery life a 2.0 dual core processor 160gb hardrive 3gb of memory. Would this be sufficient. I could always buy an extra battery if necessary..

Do you use laptops for any academic classes for things like powerpoint or taking notes? Are most of the notes you take handwritten or already given to you?

Do you see the necessity for having a 12 hour battery? Whats the most you think you may need your laptop for without being able to charge it?

Do any of you have a 2.0 processor on your laptop and are able to use it on a computerized exam?

Keep in mind that when they say "5-7 hours" for battery life, it will probably start at the lower end of 5. The end of the year will probably have it closer to 4....if you are lucky. The price for an extra battery is usually ridiculous. There are tricks to get them free, but I don't feel like I should share them over here.

I still don't understand why they never put plugs for laptops in the lecture halls. I noticed that when I was there and thought it was a bad idea.

Did anyone else get the email from Dr. W about the mac compatibility? I think the mac lovers out there (including myself) will get to use them after all. Also, how did people order the white coats? Did you have to pay for them online? I got a $39ish charge on my credit card bill from the Nova Bookstore and I am wondering if that is it. Thanks!

I believe the charge is for the whitecoat. I was going to order two but I'm waiting a bit for several reasons...

I got the email about the mac stuff but I never put windows on my computer because I found out that I never really needed it. So, we'll see.

I'm also declared in-state finally, or at least I got the email for it. Doesn't say on my webstar yet.

Your max per year of unsubsidized staffords is $12750 (max of $4250 for each of the 3 semesters)
now you move on to your unsub staffords which have a max of $26,667 per year

so total stafford borrow amount per year is about 39,400.
There is a cap of $224,000 of staffords total so you shouldnt max out staffords, though its a lifetime limit so if you took out staffords in undergrad or another grad program that counts in your aggregate total.

IamAriDO

I am confused, it looks like on my award amount the my unsub stafford maximum is $44667. Will this raise the annual maximum to (44667+12750) $57417? This would then make it possible to max out stafford loans in 4 years. :(

Does anyone else show $44667 as their max unsub amount?

I am confused, it looks like on my award amount the my unsub stafford maximum is $44667. Will this raise the annual maximum to (44667+12750) $57417? This would then make it possible to max out stafford loans in 4 years. :(

I show that as well for unsub amounts..then when I ad the 12750/yr I get the 57K so apparently it seems that you can take out a max of 57417/yr for stafford loans before you begin to dip into grad plus loans

(hopefully I know what I'm looking at when it comes to these numbers otherwise ill probably start to get a little scared)

It makes you wonder how the indebtedness isn't higher doesn't it? I'm getting a fair amount of help and I'm still going to be around 150k in debt.

Members don't see this ad :)
This may be a dumb question, but what do we use the summer loan for if we are in class for fall (Aug-Dec) and winter terms (Jan-May)?

This may be a dumb question, but what do we use the summer loan for if we are in class for fall (Aug-Dec) and winter terms (Jan-May)?

for rent, beer and summer golf passes?

just kidding, but in all seriousness if you pull up the budget allotments that are located in the files sections you will see that nova divides up the tuition payments into three parts so you will still pay tuition during the summer. Additionally, you will still be paying for rent as well as the school health insurance (granted you aren't cover by your parents), and the school activity fees. Lastly you will still have the transportation portion that you will need to take out in loans.

Now what im not sure about is the books and supplies section under their designated loan list. There certainly shouldn't be a need to take out what they recommend for this during the summer session.

Hopefully one of the current students can correct me if i'm wrong or give some further insight into what summer loans are used for

They always allocate a ton for books and supplies it seems they still believe people need books. I'm not complaining though. I'm sure there are other costs that will pop up.

I posted the numbers that the woman from fin. aid. gave me over the phone....and i agree it was weird that with those numbers we didnt max out the staffords prior to dipping into grad plus. I also show the same amounts available on webstar ....better this way since more of the loan amount is at the lower interest (6.8 vs the gradplus 8.5)

guess we will max out a little over the 224k (is that the right max for us now?) but not by much. Personally I am taking it all out then returning what i dont need in the first week of each semster until I figure out how to budget in advance better.

IamAriDO (sorry for those earlier numbers...just a little off)

When declared instate did anyone's status on financial aid change? Mine still gives the out of state numbers even though I'm supposedly in-state now.

guess we will max out a little over the 224k (is that the right max for us now?) but not by much. Personally I am taking it all out then returning what i dont need in the first week of each semster until I figure out how to budget in advance better.

That's what I'm doing too; I'd rather have a little money left over than not enough.

Hey guys.

I've been looking over all the pre-matriculation requirements, checking to make sure they're all complete. I've noticed one thing I can't seem to understand. If I go through WebCT, Evaluations, My Grades.. I see no score for OSHA (-- out of 12). However, if I go to Quizzes, there is no OSHA to take. I've done all of the other quizzies in this section, as well as the security quiz, BBP/HIPAA certs. Ordered my white coat via the bookstore's website last week but still have yet to see it appear on my CC bill (I may call to inquire about that today).

Anyone know what the deal is with that OSHA quiz listed?

When declared instate did anyone's status on financial aid change? Mine still gives the out of state numbers even though I'm supposedly in-state now.

It hasn't changed for me yet. I called about it and they said it takes some time for everything to reflect in the system. This was a couple of weeks ago. I figure I need to get back on them again. Let us know if anything changes for you.

Hey guys.

I've been looking over all the pre-matriculation requirements, checking to make sure they're all complete. I've noticed one thing I can't seem to understand. If I go through WebCT, Evaluations, My Grades.. I see no score for OSHA (-- out of 12). However, if I go to Quizzes, there is no OSHA to take. I've done all of the other quizzies in this section, as well as the security quiz, BBP/HIPAA certs. Ordered my white coat via the bookstore's website last week but still have yet to see it appear on my CC bill (I may call to inquire about that today).

Anyone know what the deal is with that OSHA quiz listed?

It took awhile to show up on my CC bill. I just noticed it a few days ago and I know I did it maybe more than a month ago.

Well guys, I can't believe it happened but I just got called off the waitlist for FSU. I will no longer be going to Nova. I'm sure I'll still hang around here. I wish all of you guys the best of luck down in Ft. Lauderdale!

Well guys, I can't believe it happened but I just got called off the waitlist for FSU. I will no longer be going to Nova. I'm sure I'll still hang around here. I wish all of you guys the best of luck down in Ft. Lauderdale!

Congrats for you! I know you really wanted to go to one of the other schools. Hope you really enjoy it there!

Congrats for you! I know you really wanted to go to one of the other schools. Hope you really enjoy it there!

Thank you. Part of me is sad about Nova. It is also breaking the heart of my 5 year old nephew, but he'll survive! It was never anything against nova. I'm also relieved because I don't have to move anymore. The scary part is that orientation starts next tuesday!

did anyone get accepted or defer a year to class of 2014?

Figured I'd ask a quick financial aid question here before I go through making phone calls tomorrow. I was just looking at my Stafford Loan disbursement schedule with my lender (Citibank) and it has the Sub/Unsub Stafford Loans listed for the Fall and Winter Disbursements but nothing listed for the Summer. Anyone know if this is normal or why the summer disbursement which I was offered is not listed?

Figured I'd ask a quick financial aid question here before I go through making phone calls tomorrow. I was just looking at my Stafford Loan disbursement schedule with my lender (Citibank) and it has the Sub/Unsub Stafford Loans listed for the Fall and Winter Disbursements but nothing listed for the Summer. Anyone know if this is normal or why the summer disbursement which I was offered is not listed?

I dont know, but when you find out can you post it? Thanks

Does anyone else have a third OSHA course on their WebCT? It says "OSHA 5 (Dental Medicine)." I'm guessing its an error...

Does anyone else have a third OSHA course on their WebCT? It says "OSHA 5 (Dental Medicine)." I'm guessing its an error...

I saw that too last night. I'm assuming that it's just an error.

I saw that too last night. I'm assuming that it's just an error.

I'd say the same. Going to ask this again, as I'm wondering if anyone else has seen it - I've noticed one thing I can't seem to understand. If I go through WebCT, Evaluations, My Grades.. I see no score for OSHA (-- out of 12). However, if I go to Quizzes, there is no OSHA to take. I've done all of the other quizzies in this section, as well as the security quiz, BBP/HIPAA certs.

I'm not sure what 12 question OSHA quiz the eval section is referring to .. I've never seen any such quiz listed to take.

Officially gonna be my last post from cold new york (yes it is still sweatshirt weather up here)...T-minus approx 18 hours until I reach the florida border..hopefully there's not too much traffic on a sunday. :D:D:D See you all in sunny/warm south florida!!!!!!!!!

Officially gonna be my last post from cold new york (yes it is still sweatshirt weather up here)...T-minus approx 18 hours until I reach the florida border..hopefully there's not too much traffic on a sunday. :D:D:D See you all in sunny/warm south florida!!!!!!!!!

Congrats...where will you be staying? And since I'm on the subject, where are the rest of you all gonna be living? I'll be at Palm Trace Landings.

Congrats. I already moved all my stuff down there but came back to Ohio to make a few extra bucks. I'll be back in FL about June 22-30, still 5 weeks before Oreintation. Hopefully a few of us who get there early can meet up and go out.

pianoman90- I'm living in Lakepointe at Jacaranda, 3 miles north of the HPD on University Dr.

Congrats. I already moved all my stuff down there but came back to Ohio to make a few extra bucks. I'll be back in FL about June 22-30, still 5 weeks before Oreintation. Hopefully a few of us who get there early can meet up and go out.

pianoman90- I'm living in Lakepointe at Jacaranda, 3 miles north of the HPD on University Dr.

Yeah I'm still working right now too, trying to make as much as I can before putting in my notice. We're going to be moving my stuff down on July 2, and then I'm coming back home to chill for a few weeks. I should be down there for good around July 28 and I'm all for a SDN night before orientation.

I'll be moving in sometime around the July 3rd. I'd be all for a meet prior to orientation.

a meet with a few of us future M1's sounds like a great idea for when a bunch of us are down here this summer.

While this weather is awesome, i've become a bit worried about how incredibly hot it gets down here. I can't even imagine wearing a shirt/tie with dress pants regardless of how air conditioned a building is...i have been sweating non stop even in just a bathing suit and a tee shirt. Good thing we can opt to wear scrubs everyday

Enjoy this last bit of time. I'm in anatomy right now and yeesh...

a meet with a few of us future M1's sounds like a great idea for when a bunch of us are down here this summer.

While this weather is awesome, i've become a bit worried about how incredibly hot it gets down here. I can't even imagine wearing a shirt/tie with dress pants regardless of how air conditioned a building is...i have been sweating non stop even in just a bathing suit and a tee shirt. Good thing we can opt to wear scrubs everyday

If we were forced to wear business casual to class it would have weighed heavily against NSU for me. It's absurdly hot down there for quite some time. :)

You get used to it. You normally aren't walking around like in undergrad. Don't get me wrong, the heat still sucks but us Floridians LOVE our AC. It was 98 and super humid the other day and I had to put long sleeves on where I was studying. The standard temp for college buildings seems to be 70 to 72 here.

My last two years at NSUCOM have been surreal.

Here are some words of wisdom while I'm taking a Board study break.

1) Every question is relevant, but ask it in the right setting. Don't be afraid to seek help if you need it.
2) The school is not out to get you. Dr. Dribin is your advocate first year. Leslie Jones is a tremendous resource as is Dr. Boesler.
3) Be vigilant and don't piss anyone off (classmates or administration).
4) Most of your class notes will be sufficient, books only supplement your information.
5) Balance extracurriculars with academics. Most residency programs do not hold your grades as first priority anymore. Do well, but be well-rounded.
6) Joining clubs not only shows your interest in a particular field, but you get free perks during the year. (food, resources, forums, etc)
7) Med school is what you make of it. Remember that.

Enjoy the excitement of starting a new chapter in your life! :D Believe me, it will be worth it.

PS - Feel free to ask questions.

thanks for the encouragement HOD. i know im getting excited for it to begin.

Good luck with boards. Are you doing COMLEX and USMLE? Are there a lot of people from 2011 doing both?

thanks for the encouragement HOD. i know im getting excited for it to begin.

Good luck with boards. Are you doing COMLEX and USMLE? Are there a lot of people from 2011 doing both?
I had planned to take both, but the programs that I'm applying to take both sets of scores. In addition, they already have DOs in their respective programs. I feel as though my OMM knowledge will help me on the COMLEX, so I opted to only take that. This year, > 1/3 of the class is planning to take both. Not sure if that has changed since.

hey guys. i got a thing in the mail to E-sign my MPN online at studentloan.com

anyone else have $21,588 set for their grad plus over the course of 08/01/2009 to 05/01/2010.

everyone's grad plus should be the same, no? thanks.

The Grad Plus loan can be set at any amount you want as long as it does not eclipse the estimated cost of attendance set by the school.

Hi all! Just FYI...

Northwest Airlines has amazing prices for their flights to and from Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) right now!

For White Coat Ceremony Weekend:
DTW --> FLL is about $100 roundtrip, nonstop, and at good times, too (no red-eyes)!
LAX --> FLL is about $185 - $200 roundtrip, non-stop, no red-eyes
NYC --> FLL is about $150 - 160 depending on which airport you fly out of (roundtrip, nonstop, no red-eyes)

You can only get these prices by going direct through Northwest Air at www.nwa.com. Hope this helps everyone with their family's travel plans!

the best flights ive found have been through airtran. you can get one way flights between 60-80 usually.

southwest used to have good deals but one of their specials to FLL is over. might be worth checking too.

wow...last day in Toledo

Now on to OU and OSU to move my sisters out..drive them to Georgia where my folks are and then South FLA here I come.

Any headway on a pre-orientation meet up? I'm game...PM me

IamAriDO

I would love to meet up too! We aren't getting down there till mid july. Finalizing lease stuff now.

we should try a weekly get together. like find a place with pool, wings and drink specials once every week. than the closer we get to orientation the more people keep coming into town and meeting.

ill be down there in 10 days. so im willing to look around for a good, close bar with something like that.