Matchitis Survey 2010 Results Summary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxnMan

Who, me? A doctor?
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Matchitis results are in the .pdf named "Features of Applicants..." and can be downloaded (I referenced the second attachment and I thought people would find it useful). Feel free to ask me questions here or by PM. A couple of comments:

Linear correlation with scores – I doubt that AE is directly proportional to USLME. More likely there is some mid-range that behaves linearly, with the extreme scores at either end becoming asymptotes (think O2 saturation curves). We know this is likely true because an applicant with a very high score can plot their AE to be greater than 1, which doesn't make sense. However, I don't have the data points to show this and an overly complex representation, while it may be slightly closer to reality, will make the data harder to use for the majority of readers.

2011 survey – This survey is pretty time-intensive, and I don't know if I can do it again when I apply next season. I also have some reservations about being privy to the personal information of fellow applicants. I definitely will not be able to do this during my intern year.

Use of this data -
These results are meant to be used by students so that they can make informed decisions about applying to residencies. Mentors can also use these results, with my permission, to guide their students. These results are not to be anyone for any reason beyond the situations outlined above. Use of this data by corporations or for profit is expressly forbidden.

Please send me your comments and questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Features of Applicants Recieving Interviews at Emergency Medicine Residencies.pdf
    262.3 KB · Views: 3,031
  • Selection_Criteria_for_Residency__Results_of_a.24.pdf
    70.6 KB · Views: 2,125
Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
...I think it would be interesting to assess the effect of medical school rank on AE. I don't actually expect that there would be one, but it would be lovely to show it, it only to have some data to use in pre-allo arguments...
This is an interesting question, but there are several issues I see in examining this question:

1) Small sample size.
2) How do we determine "rank"? USNWR ranking? NIH funding levels? Word of mouth? All of these grade schools on largely irrelevant criteria or are open to (often heated) debate. How do DO schools fit into this?
3) With that information confidentiality starts to becomes a concern.

These are pretty significant obstacles, but I'm interested in hearing opinions on how to overcome these. Thanks!

Thanks again for doing this! Seems like you have developed quite the technique to this and put in more and more effort every year!