New idea for NP/PA to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think M3's would be able to test out of classes or get credit for past experience. They would be learning new information from every single class.

3rd year med students have vastly superior medical knowledge and clinical acumen as compared with a new grad NP, even many "senior" NPs. Heck, senior PA students do.

Yet we want NP ~> MD shortcut? :laugh::laugh:

If the OP can't hack medical school, tough. Unfortunately, the nurse lobby feels that shortcuts to the privileges of patient care, prestige, and pay are "only fair". I guess it's just another case of they don't know what they don't know.

Members don't see this ad.

3rd year med students have vastly superior medical knowledge and clinical acumen as compared with a new grad NP, even many "senior" NPs. Heck, senior PA students do.

While I have not been impressed by the graduates of some direct entry programs, I've seen NP and PAs run circles around 3rd and 4th year medical students. Of course, as the medical students progress in their training and become interns and residents, they should surpass the NPs and PAs. I would hope that they develop into solid clinicians by that time, but it'd be naive to assume that they all have "vastly superior medical knowledge".

While I have not been impressed by the graduates of some direct entry programs, I've seen NP and PAs run circles around 3rd and 4th year medical students. Of course, as the medical students progress in their training and become interns and residents, they should surpass the NPs and PAs. I would hope that they develop into solid clinicians by that time, but it'd be naive to assume that they all have "vastly superior medical knowledge".

This is a ridiculous statement...that those PAs/NPs run circle around medical students in what ways? Do the medical students know all the treatments as well as a 20 year NP/PA in their specific speciality, no... of course not.

Who would I trust more to come up with a solid differential and plan for general medicine or surgical work up? Give me the medical student (unless of course the PA is a surgical PA!!!!!)

I would most def put any top third / 4th year medical student to a NP/PA with up to 10 years of experience in general medicine (its not fair to compare it to the sub speciality that the NP/PA practice in because they have very very narrow knowledge in that field that the medical student has not been exposed to but will gain with experience---but in terms of general medical knowledge 3rd/4th year hands down)

Members don't see this ad :)

Yet we want NP ~> MD shortcut? :laugh::laugh:

If the OP can't hack medical school, tough. Unfortunately, the nurse lobby feels that shortcuts to the privileges of patient care, prestige, and pay are "only fair". I guess it's just another case of they don't know what they don't know.

My comment was mostly paraphrasing an earlier poster, which you probably didn't notice. However to say M3's have "clinical acumen" is really funny.

I would most def put any top third / 4th year medical student to a NP/PA with up to 10 years of experience in general medicine (its not fair to compare it to the sub speciality that the NP/PA practice in because they have very very narrow knowledge in that field that the medical student has not been exposed to but will gain with experience---but in terms of general medical knowledge 3rd/4th year hands down)

All of your qualifiers speak to my point. My comment was in response to the assertion that "3rd year med students have vastly superior medical knowledge and clinical acumen as compared with a new grad NP, even many "senior" NPs. Heck, senior PA students do."

I'd change your qualifier from NP/PA to NP alone. PA's have a quite impressive education compared to NP's. My significant other is in PA school and I can say that I am very impressed by how well PA's get educated.

My comment was mostly paraphrasing an earlier poster, which you probably didn't notice. However to say M3's have "clinical acumen" is really funny.

Well as an M3 I was in peds ENT clinic and the Doctor had a NP she worked with and loved, however it was pretty easy to sum of what the NP did. I could probably learn to do her job quite well in a month. The NP would go see the patient then staff it with the MD. I listened to how the NP presented (in the fast surgical way which is how the MD liked it) so I started doing that too, pretty much doing the NP's role. MD would let the NP do minor procedures like taking out tubes and ear wax.

I only worked in this clinic for 4 full days that month since it was part of my overall outpatient pediatrics clerkship (mostly working with a general pediatrician that month). Given a full month or two at that clinic I could easily learn those minor procedures and read up on some more on current peds ENT... and done the NP's job 100%. I think I deserve to get paid 80K just like that NP.

What a joke, and this was my first rotation. They should let me sit for the NP licensing exam. lol. The NP staffed some case with the MD and was talking about an antibiotic, telling the MD that the max dose was X amount/day. MD goes, "No, actually based on creatinine clearence we can dose it higher." NP looks clueless. I laughed inside.

And BTW, this NP had probably been practicing a few years and I was a fresh new M3 on my first rotation. Put me toe to toe with a brand new NP grad or final year direct entry NP student and then lets talk about clinical acumen. So tired of these NP's talking all big acting like they are equal to physicians and trying to put med students down. NP students are the biggest jokes of all time.

Last edited:
I'd change your qualifier from NP/PA to NP alone. PA's have a quite impressive education compared to NP's. My significant other is in PA school and I can say that I am very impressed by how well PA's get educated.

Agreed

All of your qualifiers speak to my point. My comment was in response to the assertion that "3rd year med students have vastly superior medical knowledge and clinical acumen as compared with a new grad NP, even many "senior" NPs. Heck, senior PA students do."

However you forgot to bold my important point:

"in terms of general medical knowledge 3rd/4th year hands down" over NPs

They do.

I'll put the majority of my med school class, as senior M3s, ahead of any NP grad with <5 years experience, ANYDAY. I'll put their medical knowledge up against any NP, ANYDAY.

Absolutely right. Don't let any nurse tell you otherwise: they don't know what they don't know.

Well as an M3 I was in peds ENT clinic and the Doctor had a NP she worked with and loved, however it was pretty easy to sum of what the NP did. I could probably learn to do her job quite well in a month. The NP would go see the patient then staff it with the MD. I listened to how the NP presented (in the fast surgical way which is how the MD liked it) so I started doing that too, pretty much doing the NP's role. MD would let the NP do minor procedures like taking out tubes and ear wax.

I only worked in this clinic for 4 full days that month since it was part of my overall outpatient pediatrics clerkship (mostly working with a general pediatrician that month). Given a full month or two at that clinic I could easily learn those minor procedures and read up on some more on current peds ENT... and done the NP's job 100%. I think I deserve to get paid 80K just like that NP.

What a joke, and this was my first rotation. They should let me sit for the NP licensing exam. lol. The NP staffed some case with the MD and was talking about an antibiotic, telling the MD that the max dose was X amount/day. MD goes, "No, actually based on creatinine clearence we can dose it higher." NP looks clueless. I laughed inside.

And BTW, this NP had probably been practicing a few years and I was a fresh new M3 on my first rotation. Put me toe to toe with a brand new NP grad or final year direct entry NP student and then lets talk about clinical acumen. So tired of these NP's talking all big acting like they are equal to physicians and trying to put med students down. NP students are the biggest jokes of all time.

Now that we've all patted each other on the back for how hard we worked (which is hard for sure), I'd like to point out that posts like the OPs have the fatal flaw of being the idea of a person, based on that person alone. For instance, as evidenced by the discussion, when basic science undergrad courses come up, the OP said that she took all the ones needed for medical school and got top grades in them all (I paraphrase because I'm too lazy to quote).
Well, great for you, but most NPs haven't taken Organic Chemistry or Physics, let alone the courses that some outliers require (calculus, biochem, genetics, etc). So, should a person, other than the OP, who wants to complete this proposed NP->MD bridge program have to go back to night school and get Ochem credit (thankfully I don't know of a way to do O-chem with a lab as an online course. If you do know, please don't spoil my rosy tinted view of a world where such a thing is impossible).
Once we get through that difficulty, what about 3rd year clerkships? My understanding of NP training is that they specialize and that all their clinical experience comes from that field alone. Meaning a FNP would not have had experience in surgery, EM, ICU, Psych, or any other field that doesn't lie in the scope of FM.

So, not to belabor the point too much further, but because a medical degree requires core competencies in all 3rd year required clerkships, it's simplistic to assume that any amount of clinical experience in a particular field, i.e. FNP, would translate to these other fields. So since 3rd and 4th year would need to be completed in essentially their entirety (at medical student hours, which are not online course hours), and there would also be an assumed "catch up" on the basic science, it honestly sounds a heck of a lot easier to just bite the bullet and start med school from day 1 and find it easier because of all of your clinical experience.

NP experience doesn't equate with 3rd/4th year rotations.

I worked with a 30+ year neurology NP, and was able to run circles around him after 2 weeks into the rotation. It was pretty pathetic.

Path to MD:

Top undergrad grades + "extra"
Good MCAT (>30)
4 years of med school, all the exams
1 year internship
3-7 years residency
1-3 years fellowship

Now that we've all patted each other on the back for how hard we worked (which is hard for sure), I'd like to point out that posts like the OPs have the fatal flaw of being the idea of a person, based on that person alone. For instance, as evidenced by the discussion, when basic science undergrad courses come up, the OP said that she took all the ones needed for medical school and got top grades in them all (I paraphrase because I'm too lazy to quote).
Well, great for you, but most NPs haven't taken Organic Chemistry or Physics, let alone the courses that some outliers require (calculus, biochem, genetics, etc). So, should a person, other than the OP, who wants to complete this proposed NP->MD bridge program have to go back to night school and get Ochem credit (thankfully I don't know of a way to do O-chem with a lab as an online course. If you do know, please don't spoil my rosy tinted view of a world where such a thing is impossible).
Once we get through that difficulty, what about 3rd year clerkships? My understanding of NP training is that they specialize and that all their clinical experience comes from that field alone. Meaning a FNP would not have had experience in surgery, EM, ICU, Psych, or any other field that doesn't lie in the scope of FM.

So, not to belabor the point too much further, but because a medical degree requires core competencies in all 3rd year required clerkships, it's simplistic to assume that any amount of clinical experience in a particular field, i.e. FNP, would translate to these other fields. So since 3rd and 4th year would need to be completed in essentially their entirety (at medical student hours, which are not online course hours), and there would also be an assumed "catch up" on the basic science, it honestly sounds a heck of a lot easier to just bite the bullet and start med school from day 1 and find it easier because of all of your clinical experience.

Members don't see this ad :)

Unfortunately, it is now possible to get ALL premed requirements completely online.

One Example:
http://www.une.edu/com/online/

You did zenman. Good job!!

Funny thing... those were my answers as well. (Just a regular old bedside nurse.) And I have absolutely no love for psych, including related pharmacology. (Though I acknowledge psych worms its way into every specialty, dangit).

Point being- not just a pretty face that pushes mystery pills and wipes ass. And that's not to say my knowlege or training is comparable to medicine.... at all... my point is give credit where credit is due. Nurses aren't mindless pill pusher/ass wipers.

I'm not personally naming you as guilty of expressing this sentiment- I just see it here often enough to warrant using this as an example against such nonsense.

That is all. Carry on.

Why not let medical students or unlicensed physicians who passed USMLE Steps 1 and 2 CK and CS practice as midlevels. IMHO (this is not to put down any profession) a med student or unlicensed physician who passed USMLE Steps 1 and 2 CK and CS has superior medical knowledge than a PA or NP.

Funny thing... those were my answers as well. (Just a regular old bedside nurse.) And I have absolutely no love for psych, including related pharmacology. (Though I acknowledge psych worms its way into every specialty, dangit).

Point being- not just a pretty face that pushes mystery pills and wipes ass. And that's not to say my knowlege or training is comparable to medicine.... at all... my point is give credit where credit is due. Nurses aren't mindless pill pusher/ass wipers.

I'm not personally naming you as guilty of expressing this sentiment- I just see it here often enough to warrant using this as an example against such nonsense.

That is all. Carry on.

I feel as though few physicians look at nurses as just "pill pushers" we acknowledge your expertise in nursing and your desire to help patients (along with NPs/PAs).

It's awesome you have some greater knowledge in fields. But, as I stated I gave you some of the easiest examples I could think of to illustrate multiple step thinking-- problems only arise is when people extrapolate that knowledge into an ability to practice medicine

If you want a *free* rough estimate of some type of Step 1/2 questions try out: http://www.wikitestprep.org/

Last edited:
to the op

If you wanna be a captain, go to captain school.... p and s. (plain and simple)

Inconvenient? Fast track? You are taking a new concept and twisting it into negativity without even thinking. If I told you I'd rather do 15 years of part time school than 3 years of full time, you'd say "you lazy short cut taking loser" without any more thought.

I agree, nursing education isn't there. That's why I want there to be some more. And I personally have taken all your pre-med sciences, and got the best grade in the course, so don't patronize me.

The fact of the matter is this country needs primary care doctors, period. I'm simply offering a solution to the problem. What's yours?[/QUOTE]

Open more residency spots so more medical doctors such as USIMGS and fmgs can fill the spots .

Why not let medical students or unlicensed physicians who passed USMLE Steps 1 and 2 CK and CS practice as midlevels. IMHO (this is not to put down any profession) a med student or unlicensed physician who passed USMLE Steps 1 and 2 CK and CS has superior medical knowledge than a PA or NP.

Hi, I go to a school that has PA and MD programs.

You are correct. The majority of US based MD/DO students receive a more in-depth didactic curriculum in the basic medical sciences than PA students; however, at my school, the PAs receive additional training/courses that better prepare them to go straight to work as a midlevel practitioner. The MD/DO students aren't expected to receive this training until their residency.

Furthermore, the PA students at my school receive more pharmacology education than the MD students. This is also a very significant difference.

Let's not be disingenuous. Keep in mind that PAs MUST learn all of pharm and physical diagnosis in their PA program because it is assumed the vast majority will not do a residency.
MD/DOs, on the other hand, have the luxury of 3+ years of residency in which to learn advanced pharm and practical skills. It's interesting that at my program (MCG) our PA students have more physical diagnosis instruction than the MD students, and the medical school is starting to turn that around...with prodding from a faculty member who used to be the medical director of another PA program :rolleyes::p

You are correct. The majority of US based MD/DO students receive a more in-depth didactic curriculum in the basic medical sciences than PA students; however, at my school, the PAs receive additional training/courses that better prepare them to go straight to work as a midlevel practitioner. The MD/DO students aren't expected to receive this training until their residency.

Furthermore, the PA students at my school receive more pharmacology education than the MD students. This is also a very significant difference.

Let's not be disingenuous. Keep in mind that PAs MUST learn all of pharm and physical diagnosis in their PA program because it is assumed the vast majority will not do a residency.
MD/DOs, on the other hand, have the luxury of 3+ years of residency in which to learn advanced pharm and practical skills. It's interesting that at my program (MCG) our PA students have more physical diagnosis instruction than the MD students, and the medical school is starting to turn that around...with prodding from a faculty member who used to be the medical director of another PA program :rolleyes::p

First of all, I wouldn't say that residency is a "luxury" at all-- med school has been difficult but I know that the next four years of my life is going to be a different beast.

Secondly, I can't imagine learning more in med school than I already have-- it's pushed me to my limits more than once. Studying my ass off for the first two years, then boards, then wards where I would work 12 hrs a day and then come home to have to study for the shelf exam. It irks me when I hear PA/NP students say that, "we do the same thing that MD students do but in half the time"-- it's not possible to double up our pace.

Finally, going back to the "luxury" of residency-- you're right in that our training is far more extensive but remember that we're going to be attendings. At the end, we're developing in to physicians that lead the team and take the responsibilty for the patient whether the outcome is good or bad. Midlevels will, in almost all circumstances, have an attending to back them up; there's supervision.

I see what you are trying to say, but PAs nor NPs are in no way better educated or trained than MDs. Not even foreign trained MDs. That is why they are called Physician Assistants and are paid 1/2 of what a real MD makes. If you desire to be an MD then go to school for all the required years, pay the tuition, and take the required examinations.

:laugh: Clearly there must be a lot of pharmacology of marijuana, because anyone who writes what you just wrote has walked through a huge cloud of prop 19 dust.

:laugh: Remind me to avoid MCG grads.

:laugh: Clearly there must be a lot of pharmacology of marijuana, because anyone who writes what you just wrote has walked through a huge cloud of prop 19 dust.

LoL. That's funny. But unfortunately, it doesn't negate the validity of the original statement.

The prop 19 fairy dust idea that pas have more indepth pharmacology than physicians?

Please Lord, don't let me become as slow-witted as this poor soul.

However you forgot to bold my important point:

"in terms of general medical knowledge 3rd/4th year hands down" over NPs

In terms of general knowledge (didatic phase) I would definitely say that medical students have more knowledge than both PA's and NP's. During residency they will deal with more critical cases than an NP or PA. Physician training is to learn how to recognize a zebra from the bread and butter cases. Otherwise, why even have physician training.

Last edited:
First of all, I wouldn't say that residency is a "luxury" at all-- med school has been difficult but I know that the next four years of my life is going to be a different beast.

Secondly, I can't imagine learning more in med school than I already have-- it's pushed me to my limits more than once. Studying my ass off for the first two years, then boards, then wards where I would work 12 hrs a day and then come home to have to study for the shelf exam. It irks me when I hear PA/NP students say that, "we do the same thing that MD students do but in half the time"-- it's not possible to double up our pace.

Finally, going back to the "luxury" of residency-- you're right in that our training is far more extensive but remember that we're going to be attendings. At the end, we're developing in to physicians that lead the team and take the responsibilty for the patient whether the outcome is good or bad. Midlevels will, in almost all circumstances, have an attending to back them up; there's supervision.

I totally agree with this post.:thumbdown: There is no way that PA school could be doing what med school does in half the time. There are some PAs who have gone on to medical school and had come back saying that there was so much more in medical school that you can't even compare it to PA training.

And residency is certainly not a luxury; it is a NECESSITY.

Physician training is to learn how to recognize a zebra from the bread and butter cases.

What, you think PA's spend a full didactic year learning how to treat the common cold? PA's catch zebras all the time. In fact, before you even finish uttering the word "dypsnea" a PA has already assessed you for the most common presenting signs of sarcoidosis, amyloidosis, cystic fibrosis, tamponade, PE, etc.

And why wait until residency to learn how to manage critical care. PAs are training to run codes while still in their first year.

Come on. It's ridiculous that Med students would attack PA students like this. Only the threatened feel a need to fight with PAs.

. PAs are training to run codes while still in their first year.

many of us (medics, rn's, rt's) were running codes BEFORE pa school....
there is a big difference between running a code with any degree of competence and being acls certified however....I wouldn't trust most pa or med students to actually run a real code....big difference between a simulation and the real thing....all the manequins have great veins and great airways....not so in reality....

What, you think PA's spend a full didactic year learning how to treat the common cold? PA's catch zebras all the time. In fact, before you even finish uttering the word "dypsnea" a PA has already assessed you for the most common presenting signs of sarcoidosis, amyloidosis, cystic fibrosis, tamponade, PE, etc.

And why wait until residency to learn how to manage critical care. PAs are training to run codes while still in their first year.

Come on. It's ridiculous that Med students would attack PA students like this. Only the threatened feel a need to fight with PAs.

I am an attending not a medical student. I will soon be doing a fellowship in electrophysiology. The nurses in our ER, ICU, telemetry, etc are ACLS certified. Also, combat medics, navy corpsman, rts, paramedics etc, run codes too. Many have run codes even before starting PA or NP school.

Last edited:
I am an attending not a medical student. I will soon be doing a fellowship in electrophysiology. The nurses in our ER, ICU, telemetry, etc are ACLS certified. Also, combat medics, navy corpsman, rts, paramedics etc, run codes too. Many have run codes even before starting PA or NP school.

My apologies, doc, for mistaking you to be a student. The point is that your comment about how physician training teaches students how to separate zebras from bread and butter cases is also true about PA training.

Footpain said:
There are some PAs who have gone on to medical school and had come back saying that there was so much more in medical school that you can't even compare it to PA training.

And my guess is that the PAs to whom you are referring did not complete their PA training program as part of a master's degree program. Today's PA programs feature a heavy didactic component that shares some qualities with medical school. It's not quite as in-depth, but it's intensive nonetheless. And as PAs with masters degrees start going forward to complete a medical degree (it's bound to happen), you aren't going to hear comments as profound as what you've been hearing.

In fact, I won't be surprised it if an even shorter bridge program becomes available to PA students who completed their masters.

emedpa said:
many of us (medics, rn's, rt's) were running codes BEFORE pa school....
I trust that most students in modern PA schools have placed an IV cath or given an IV injection at some point before entering their program. I don't know how many have ever managed a code though. PA schools seem to be more interested in academic abilities these days. As such, some programs will relax the clinical experience requirements in lieu of a 4.0 GPA.

emedpa said:
there is a big difference between running a code with any degree of competence and being acls certified however....I wouldn't trust most pa or med students to actually run a real code....big difference between a simulation and the real thing....all the manequins have great veins and great airways....not so in reality....
The focus on simulation labs is not on the procedural, but rather the pharmacotheraputics needed to stabilize a critical patient. While simulation isn't the real thing, the training is invaluable when you actually do get into the real situation. It's like when you go skydiving: before you even get into the plane, you first train on the ground. You go through the steps of opening and steering your 'chute. You do it over and over and over. You train for every negative scenario. By the time you're hanging off the wing of a plane to make an actual jump, your sympathetic nervous system is on overdrive! You can't think straight. But thanks to the training you did on the ground, your mind can shift into cruise control. You punch out (open your parachute) and the cables are all twisted. Most people might panic, but training takes over and you start going through the maneuvers to free the cables. Simulation labs are great, even if they are not the real thing. I'm sure you know all of this, but I felt it was worth repeating.

Last edited:
My apologies, doc, for mistaking you to be a student. The point is that your comment about how physician training teaches students how to separate zebras from bread and butter cases is also true about PA training.

And my guess is that the PAs to whom you are referring did not complete their PA training program as part of a master's degree program. Today's PA programs feature a heavy didactic component that shares some qualities with medical school. It's not quite as in-depth, but it's intensive nonetheless. And as PAs with masters degrees start going forward to complete a medical degree (it's bound to happen), you aren't going to hear comments as profound as what you've been hearing.

In fact, I won't be surprised it if an even shorter bridge program becomes available to PA students who completed their masters.

I trust that most students in modern PA schools have placed an IV cath or given an IV injection at some point before entering their program. I don't know how many have ever managed a code though. PA schools seem to be more interested in academic abilities these days. As such, some programs will relax the clinical experience requirements in lieu of a 4.0 GPA.

The focus on simulation labs is not on the procedural, but rather the pharmacotheraputics needed to stabilize a critical patient. While simulation isn't the real thing, the training is invaluable when you actually do get into the real situation. It's like when you go skydiving: before you even get into the plane, you first train on the ground. You go through the steps of opening and steering your 'chute. You do it over and over and over. You train for every negative scenario. By the time you're hanging off the wing of a plane to make an actual jump, your sympathetic nervous system is on overdrive! You can't think straight. But thanks to the training you did on the ground, your mind can shift into cruise control. You punch out (open your parachute) and the cables are all twisted. Most people might panic, but training takes over and you start going through the maneuvers to free the cables. Simulation labs are great, even if they are not the real thing. I'm sure you know all of this, but I felt it was worth repeating.

The PAs that I spoke of were NOT from undergrad PA programs; they are from Master level programs. PA school is intense, but it is still not medical school. By thinking that it is basically the same thing but shorter in years, you are living in denial. Even where residency is concerned, there is much more training involved for a doctor. This is why with certain surgical specialties and some other fields of medicine there are certain things that a PA will NEVER DO. PAs have an easier time switching specialties than docs do because residency training is longer for docs and more involved.

I notice many midlevels often state that they are not physicians, but they like to extol how fine the line it is between them and physician providers.

If PA school and medical school were the same but one is shorter, it doesn't make sense that docs would have to complete residency and fellowship training. In my case this means having to have completed a fellowship in Cardiology after an internal med residency and now an additional one in electrophysiology to do what I really want to do.

Last edited:
By thinking that it is basically the same thing but shorter in years, you are living in denial.

:thumbup:

I have 3 masters levels PAs in my class, and there are 3 that I know in the class above, and 1 in the class below me. All of them from masters programs, all of them have have said that PA school was no where near as intense, in depth, or scope of medical school.

15+ yrs ago when most pa students were prior medics, rn's, etc almost everyone had started IV's, run codes, etc. at the majority of pa programs today(all but the old school hard core programs like medex, sjvc, etc) most students have lower levels of prior responsibility like emt-basic or cna and have never drawn blood or given an injection of any kind. as you say there is more of a focus on academics and less on prior hce.
now I have to teach these basics to many students on clinical rotations which takes away from time spent on more adv. procedures like lp's, etc
I really enjoy it when I get the rare student with significant prior experience and we can start with the hard stuff because they have the basics covered.
I think what we will see in the next decade is longer pa programs to make up for this lack of prior experience and a greater push for pa's to do specialty residencies(see www.appap.org).
the nccpa is already introducing "optional " specialty exams in addition to the required entry level primary care exam.
how long do you think they will stay optional?

how long do you think they will stay optional?

I do not think long! I knew a lot of midlevel NP's that were against the DNP being the terminal degree to practice by 2015. It was a tight vote, but it passed. I thought it would never pass in a million years... Just like I thought the mandantory specialty would never happen!

I think what we will see in the next decade is longer pa programs to make up for this lack of prior experience and a greater push for pa's to do specialty residencies(see www.appap.org).

There are a few programs with a 3&#8208;year curriculum. I'm not a big fan of it, because 3 year PA programs are very close to meeting the minimum accreditation criteria for MD programs.

...and a greater push for pa's to do specialty residencies(see www.appap.org).

I like the idea of residencies for PAs. I prefer that they stay optional. Unfortunately, there aren't enough residencies available to those who want to do them. Something to the order of about 200 residency spots nationwide (there are over 5000 PA graduates and a decent number of those are going to apply for residencies).

footpain said:
PA school is intense, but it is still not medical school. By thinking that it is basically the same thing but shorter in years, you are living in denial.

Whoa! Listen, doc, I didn't say it was the same thing but shorter. However, that statement would be closer to the truth than it is further. Look, when PA's compare the PA curriculum to the MD curriculum, the goal is not to downplay the 4 years of medical school that all physicians must attend (not to mention the ensuing residency). The purpose of comparing the two programs is to show how PAs are educated in a similar manner to physicians in an effort to gain confidence of patients.

A lot of patients will decline a visit with a Physician Assistant for reasons such as associating Physician Assistants with Medical Assistants. And since it doesn't look like PAs are going to get a name change anytime soon, they have to start exposing their qualifications in terms that the general public will understand.

It's not productive, when explaining PA training to a new patient, to say "PA's go through a concise, but intense study of basic medical science followed by a full systemic approach to clinical medicine with problem based scenarios..." Say that and patients will look at you with complete confusion. PAs have to say it in terms the general public can understand. Unfortunately, this means PAs end up saying things like "PAs go to medical school just like physicians, but the program is shorter." The statement isn't untrue, but the word "medical school" is always associated with a Doctorate of Medicine, not a Master of Medicine (which is the degree that some PAs receive).

As I said before, PAs aren't trying to downplay the importance of physicians and their education. But until something goes their way, PAs have to use such catchphrases to gain confidence of the patient. Otherwise, PAs have to keep bothering their supervising physician because the patient "wants to see a real doctor and will call the PA if they need a bedpan changed."

atkinsje said:
I have 3 masters levels PAs in my class, and there are 3 that I know in the class above, and 1 in the class below me. All of them from masters programs, all of them have have said that PA school was no where near as intense, in depth, or scope of medical school.

I appreciate what you're saying, but let me put this in terms of what's happening at my school in comparison with the MD program.

In-depthness: Where I go to school, the PA program is not as in-depth as the MD program when it comes to the basic medical sciences (essentially, MD1). However, PA school is AS IN-DEPTH when it comes to clinical medical sciences (MD2). PAs go through the same systemic study of medicine, inclusive of PBL sessions.

Intensity: During the 16 months that a PA is in the didactic curriculum, s/he will average 3-4 semester-credits more (per semester) than the MD during any given 16 month period in the MD didactic curriculum. Hopefully we can at least agree that, for the short time they are in school, PAs face the same level of intensity as an MD student within that same time period.

PAs should never go to PA school with the idea of later going to medical school. However, occasionally PAs who intended to stay PAs will sometimes have a change of heart. So they go back to school.

It's likely that many PAs who go back for a medical doctorate will feel overwhelmed in the first year of medical school. Some won't. However, I feel very confident that most PAs will feel right at home in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th years. In fact, I'm going to make a bold statement here, one I believe to be absolutely true: for PAs who want to go into primary care as an independent practitioner, a 1-year bridge program is really all that's needed (followed by a residency, of course). PAs should be able to knock out the USMLE step 2 with the knowledge and skills they received from PA school. So the bridge program would focus on preparing them for step 1, along with some courses designed to help them deal with additional challenges they'll face as an independent practitioner. Moreover, 70% or more of that 1-year program can be delivered electronically.

The current bridge program, 2.5 years, is definitely overkill. However, it's a DO program and the osteopathic skills add to the time. An MD bridge really should not need be more than 2 years in length.

Last edited:
There are a few programs with a 3&#8208;year curriculum. I'm not a big fan of it, because 3 year PA programs are very close to meeting the minimum accreditation criteria for MD programs.

I like the idea of residencies for PAs. I prefer that they stay optional. Unfortunately, there aren't enough residencies available to those who want to do them. Something to the order of about 200 residency spots nationwide (there are over 5000 PA graduates and a decent number of those are going to apply for residencies).

Whoa! Listen, doc, I didn't say it was the same thing but shorter. However, that statement would be closer to the truth than it is further. Look, when PA's compare the PA curriculum to the MD curriculum, the goal is not to downplay the 4 years of medical school that all physicians must attend (not to mention the ensuing residency). The purpose of comparing the two programs is to show how PAs are educated in a similar manner to physicians in an effort to gain confidence of patients.

A lot of patients will decline a visit with a Physician Assistant for reasons such as associating Physician Assistants with Medical Assistants. And since it doesn't look like PAs are going to get a name change anytime soon, they have to start exposing their qualifications in terms that the general public will understand.

It's not productive, when explaining PA training to a new patient, to say "PA's go through a concise, but intense study of basic medical science followed by a full systemic approach to clinical medicine with problem based scenarios..." Say that and patients will look at you with complete confusion. PAs have to say it in terms the general public can understand. Unfortunately, this means PAs end up saying things like "PAs go to medical school just like physicians, but the program is shorter." The statement isn't untrue, but the word "medical school" is always associated with a Doctorate of Medicine, not a Master of Medicine (which is the degree that some PAs receive).

As I said before, PAs aren't trying to downplay the importance of physicians and their education. But until something goes their way, PAs have to use such catchphrases to gain confidence of the patient. Otherwise, PAs have to keep bothering their supervising physician because the patient "wants to see a real doctor and will call the PA if they need a bedpan changed."

I appreciate what you're saying, but let me put this in terms of what's happening at my school in comparison with the MD program.

In-depthness: Where I go to school, the PA program is not as in-depth as the MD program when it comes to the basic medical sciences (essentially, MD1). However, PA school is AS IN-DEPTH when it comes to clinical medical sciences (MD2). PAs go through the same systemic study of medicine, inclusive of PBL sessions.

Intensity: During the 16 months that a PA is in the didactic curriculum, s/he will average 3-4 semester-credits more (per semester) than the MD during any given 16 month period in the MD didactic curriculum. Hopefully we can at least agree that, for the short time they are in school, PAs face the same level of intensity as an MD student within that same time period.

PAs should never go to PA school with the idea of later going to medical school. However, occasionally PAs who intended to stay PAs will sometimes have a change of heart. So they go back to school.

It's likely that many PAs who go back for a medical doctorate will feel overwhelmed in the first year of medical school. Some won't. However, I feel very confident that most PAs will feel right at home in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th years. In fact, I'm going to make a bold statement here, one I believe to be absolutely true: for PAs who want to go into primary care as an independent practitioner, a 1-year bridge program is really all that's needed (followed by a residency, of course). PAs should be able to knock out the USMLE step 2 with the knowledge and skills they received from PA school. So the bridge program would focus on preparing them for step 1, along with some courses designed to help them deal with additional challenges they'll face as an independent practitioner. Moreover, 70% or more of that 1-year program can be delivered electronically.

The current bridge program, 2.5 years, is definitely overkill. However, it's a DO program and the osteopathic skills add to the time. An MD bridge really should not need be more than 2 years in length.

PA ~> MD bridge = 4 years of medical school. Period.

Why don't you midlevels get it?

EDIT: PA school is nowhere as indepth or intense as medical school. Still another PA delusion. Why are some of you guys modeling your fight after NPs? PAs are our allies, but if more of them become like you, they'll be the enemy as well.

Last edited:
ARAI,

I agree with the physicians and medical students who are trying to convince you to stop fighting this. It is not a battle you can win. I am a PA in the middle of my second year of medical school. I graduated from a top PA school and can confirm that there is a huge difference in depth of knowledge in both first and second year. I am very proud of my PA education and would not change anything. Unfortunately, it is individuals similar to you who give many the impression that PA's have an inferiority complex and this hurts the profession as a whole. There is no need to justify your position, PA's are vital to healthcare. But it is crazy, naive, and ignorant to continue with your arguments. I have been involved in both and speak from experience. It is impossible to to compare the two so confidently if you have not experienced both, trust me on this.

Last edited:
LECOM 3 yr PA to DO program exists. all of ms 1 and ms2 + a single clinical yr. first class starts next yr.I know folks who applied and were admitted.
pado13- thanks for your input. folks who have done both are certainly in a better position than those who have only done 1.
as you know pa's are your allies here, not your enemies. I don't think we will ever see a DPA program claiming it produces clinicians capable of practicing completely independently. I think the dpa is coming but it will basically be today's ms pa program + more non-clinical fluff(unfortunately). I am in favor of good scope of practice and autonomy for seasoned pa's but always with physician oversight.

EMEDPA,

I completely agree with you. Seasoned's PA's are much different than the currents PA's just graduating who never had healthcare experience prior to PA school. I was one of those individuals and can attest to the huge learning curve coming out of school. I don't care how many codes you run on a simulated patient in a room when there are no life or death consequences. I just think it is dangerous when some of these students and new grads are a little overconfident of their skills. And you are completely right, PA's need to be allies for physicians. There is no need to compete with them, or else it will be a devastation to the profession. My loyalty will always be to PA's, I will never employ an NP.

Last edited:

EDIT: PA school is nowhere as indepth or intense as medical school. Still another PA delusion. Why are some of you guys modeling your fight after NPs? PAs are our allies, but if more of them become like you, they'll be the enemy as well.

Interesting statements. You seem to know a lot about this subject, so I'm going to ask you a question.

Can you tell me what Physician organizations are involved in the design and formatting of PA education/curriculum?

Arai, PAs DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT GO TO MED SCHOOL. PERIOD. I have worked with PAs before, and noone has ever said they went to medical school. You will make an ass of yourself by doing so, because to say this to anyone is a BIG LIE. Then, you will lose your credibility. Patients do understand if you explain to them. I know this from experience. I've worked with PAs before. By telling patients you went to medical school, you are just using this as an excuse to equate yourself to a physician. It really just makes you sound like a wanna be doc. You are actually sounding like one already.

As for intensity, medical school is MORE intense and goes more in depth. There are many, many PAs that will testify to this. I knew a couple med students that came in with Masters degrees in physiology in addition to their PA training and still admitted to Med school taking the cake in terms of intensity.

Remember when the s%$# hits the fan, the buck stops with the doc.

As far as medicine shortening the bridge even further than a 3 year bridge program, that is ludicrous.

Last edited:

:thumbup:

Last edited:
Footpain, would you care to answer my question?

Can you tell me what Physician organizations are involved in the design and formatting of PA education/curriculum?

Not sure what you're getting at here, but I'm sure it has some facetious intent. . .

However in most cases the design/logistics/format of a program are site dependent (i.e. the school itself) however accreditation in through the ARC, which has quite a few physician commissioners.

Irregardless of who designs/accredits it, no matter how much you wish for it to be, it is not as rigorous/in depth as medical school. Sorry.

Not sure what you're getting at here, but I'm sure it has some facetious intent. . .

However in most cases the design/logistics/format of a program are site dependent (i.e. the school itself) however accreditation in through the ARC, which has quite a few physician commissioners.

Irregardless of who designs/accredits it, no matter how much you wish for it to be, it is not as rigorous/in depth as medical school. Sorry.

Obviously I was speaking of national accreditation. So you've heard of the ARC-PA. But you can't name the Physician groups represented, can you? Or in any way comment on the educational standards at all. Yet you and others feel you're somehow in any type of position to comment on the rigors of PA education. Why is that?

To fill you in, some of the representatives include the American Medical Association, American Academy of Family Physicians, and American College of Surgeons. Next time you or anyone else wants to complain and whine about PA education, or better yet, want to tell people what PA education consists of, why don't you contact them? I'm sure they would love to hear what you have to say. And I never said that PA school was as in depth as medical school. But to scoff at a bridge shows nothing but complete ignorance and the stupidity to post it publicly.

So med students, listen up ... you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to PA education. Talk about delusional.

Last edited: