***SFSU Cohort 6*** formal/aet/cct/premed/predental/ (etc.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iCantwait

Pre-Medical (postbac)
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody!

This is a thread for all of us who are attending or still hoping/interested in joining SFSU's Cohort 6. Feel free to message me with any questions.

...I applied to the formal cct program in mid January, and was invited to an interview a few weeks later. I was accepted in March and will definitely be attending.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. I applied sometime early February and am about to go in for the interview next week. I was wondering if you guys have any feedback on how the interview went? I really want to get in and I'm not quite sure what to expect.

Thanks for any feedback! :)

Hello everyone. I applied sometime early February and am about to go in for the interview next week. I was wondering if you guys have any feedback on how the interview went? I really want to get in and I'm not quite sure what to expect.

It's a very relaxed interview process. When I interviewed, we started the day off with coffee & bagels, some Q&A with the director, followed by our one-on-one interviews. In between interviews we had time to chat with the other applicants, take a quick campus tour and, of course, continue munching bagels and coffee :). Everyone there is super nice and helpful. The interviews themselves are not designed to be scary or difficult. They just seemed to want to get to know you as a person more and assess your seriousness of purpose in wanting to go into your chosen medical field.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
my application(AET) was complete as of today. Hopefully I will hear from them soon.

What's the acceptance rate to med school for the post bacc program at SFSU?

Last edited:
Any pre-dents out there? :) We had a different deadline (April 1st). Just wondering if anyone received any interview invitations yet.

Also, to everyone. How long before the admissions contacted you after you received the e-mail stating that "your file is now complete and under review"? I'm a nervous wreck constantly checking my e-mail and phone calls!

What were everyone's stats for people that got an interview? GPA,MCAT, EC's, etc. I applied this last Friday, thanks in advance. :p

Any pre-dents out there? :) We had a different deadline (April 1st). Just wondering if anyone received any interview invitations yet.

Also, to everyone. How long before the admissions contacted you after you received the e-mail stating that "your file is now complete and under review"? I'm a nervous wreck constantly checking my e-mail and phone calls!

Take it easy! You being nervous won't change how fast they contact you. It'll only make you miserable. I'm a pre-dent too and also applied to the program. They notified me of my application being complete about 2.5 weeks ago. Still haven't heard anything though. I'm pretty sure they're going through the med students first then us. I was reading last years thread and people started getting calls/ interview invites around 4/21 or so. Hang in there, I'm sure all will be okay. Find something to keep you distracted throughout the day. It'll easy the stress. Best of luck!

Just got a call from post-bacc. Interview is on April 30th. :)

Has anyone who already sent in their SIR received info on class registration and what not?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who already sent in their SIR received info on class registration and what not?

I sent my stuff in and they cashed the deposit, but I haven't gotten anything back for actual registration...they'll probably send it when they're done filling seats, especially since the summer courses only have one choice.

Honestly, don't stress. The interview feels more like meeting a few new people than getting evaluated for a spot. I felt like they mostly knew what they wanted from the application, and were more interested in getting to know me on more of a personality level...I think they're just confirming that you're a good fit, which you probably are if your application was genuine and you were invited to the interviews.

What were everyone's stats for people that got an interview? GPA,MCAT, EC's, etc. I applied this last Friday, thanks in advance. :p

Interviewed and accepted for cct:
3.6 in English Lit from a UC
No MCAT (most of us haven't taken it yet)
A fair amount of volunteer experience in emergency medicine.

Hi all,

I am trying to decide between SFSU and Mills and Berkeley. I have been impressed by SFSU and have interviewed and think it is my top choice, but people have asked me why not go with the more name brand. I know that SFSU has a high medical school acceptance rate and a lot of people when to UCSF, but does anyone know what other schools the last graduating cohort went to?

Also, would medical schools be more impressed with Mills or Berkeley classes on my transcript versus SFSU?

Hi all,

I am trying to decide between SFSU and Mills and Berkeley. I have been impressed by SFSU and have interviewed and think it is my top choice, but people have asked me why not go with the more name brand. I know that SFSU has a high medical school acceptance rate and a lot of people when to UCSF, but does anyone know what other schools the last graduating cohort went to?

Also, would medical schools be more impressed with Mills or Berkeley classes on my transcript versus SFSU?

You really have to put them in context, who you are, what you need, etc. They are very similar in "prestige"... Factors to consider are price, support from faculty, support from students, curriculum, etc. Mills doesn't run through the summer which means months of academic down time and also having core classes in full swing during the spring you are preparing for and taking the mcat, also means calculus at a community college. Meet both Jo S. from Mills and Dr. Rothman from sfsu, they have totally different personalities and I think this sets the tone of the program (just my opinion). I think sfsu is more structured.
End of the day, two very strong programs, you'll do great choosing either.

Forget Berkeley, I have not heard good things about it.

Really, I think they look more at gpa, mcat, and ec's, than the name of the school. Which program is better really has more to do with which will give you what you need.

You really have to put them in context, who you are, what you need, etc. They are very similar in "prestige"... Factors to consider are price, support from faculty, support from students, curriculum, etc. Mills doesn't run through the summer which means months of academic down time and also having core classes in full swing during the spring you are preparing for and taking the mcat, also means calculus at a community college. Meet both Jo S. from Mills and Dr. Rothman from sfsu, they have totally different personalities and I think this sets the tone of the program (just my opinion). I think sfsu is more structured.
End of the day, two very strong programs, you'll do great choosing either.

Forget Berkeley, I have not heard good things about it.

Really, I think they look more at gpa, mcat, and ec's, than the name of the school. Which program is better really has more to do with which will give you what you need.

While I agree with what CowGirl had to say regarding SFSU vs Mills (they're both awesome programs), I don't think Berkeley Extension is that terrible. It's a night school, with classes varying locations all over the bay area--so that could be really good if you're planning on working full time while you do your post-bacc. If that's not you, then you'll probably be very frustrated with UCBX. I got accepted to both SFSU and Mills as well, and chose SFSU for my career changer post-bacc (pre-dental). For me, the choice was simple. Mills' Program is very pricey and doesn't offer much in the way of post-bacc student support. SFSU, on the other hand, is a very well organized program and, from what I've gleaned in my interview and my research, the students are all very motivated and supportive of one another there--something I am very happy to be a part of :) Also, SF is just a better environment than Oakland, and has tons of volunteer and internship opportunities. I'd much rather live in SF than in Oakland (and I used to live in south berkeley, so yeah....)

I'm applying for the fall

Im applying too!! Do you or anyone know if they review both fall transfers and cohort entering this summer at the same time?

While I agree with what CowGirl had to say regarding SFSU vs Mills (they're both awesome programs), I don't think Berkeley Extension is that terrible. It's a night school, with classes varying locations all over the bay area--so that could be really good if you're planning on working full time while you do your post-bacc. If that's not you, then you'll probably be very frustrated with UCBX. I got accepted to both SFSU and Mills as well, and chose SFSU for my career changer post-bacc (pre-dental). For me, the choice was simple. Mills' Program is very pricey and doesn't offer much in the way of post-bacc student support. SFSU, on the other hand, is a very well organized program and, from what I've gleaned in my interview and my research, the students are all very motivated and supportive of one another there--something I am very happy to be a part of :) Also, SF is just a better environment than Oakland, and has tons of volunteer and internship opportunities. I'd much rather live in SF than in Oakland (and I used to live in south berkeley, so yeah....)

Yea, my assessment of Berkeley was probably a little harsh and dismissive. Longcat made some good points about it. I have just heard that the enthusiasm of instructors is randomly found, and that since it is an unstructured program there is not much support. But if you are working full time it is a good option. And it is Berkeley after all.

Good Luck making your decision and in your studies :)

Honestly, don't stress. The interview feels more like meeting a few new people than getting evaluated for a spot. I felt like they mostly knew what they wanted from the application, and were more interested in getting to know me on more of a personality level...I think they're just confirming that you're a good fit, which you probably are if your application was genuine and you were invited to the interviews.

Thanks for the feedback. Going in this weekend and that's relieving to know :)

Thanks for the feedback. Going in this weekend and that's relieving to know :)

I agree, the interview day was pretty tame and friendly. I'd still dress formally because it is an interview, but expect a pretty laid back scene. I got the sense they want to get a feel for your personality and social skills. It seems like a tight-knit community and maybe they just want to make sure you'll contribute to that. Of course this is all opinion, no idea what they discuss behind closed doors. Everyone seemed genuine though.

I learned a lot from the interview day. What I learned during and the feeling I got of the staff and students made SFSU go from an option I was just applying to to a front-runner (if I get in). Just be yourself and try to be comfortable.

I GOT IN!!!
WooHoo, couldn't be happier :)
I will definitely be attending.

Awesome! Congrats, knew you'd get in :-D

Congrats to you, as well!

I do wish that $500 holding fee was deductible from a class, though :p

Also, for financial aid, should they send us a statement saying how much we can get in student loans or do we have to go to the office and get that straightened out?

Congrats to you, as well!

I do wish that $500 holding fee was deductible from a class, though :p

Also, for financial aid, should they send us a statement saying how much we can get in student loans or do we have to go to the office and get that straightened out?

Did you complete your fafsa and have it sent to sfsu? That's the first thing. Then, if you look at the attachment on the email, there is contact info for their financial aid dept. I definitely need to go talk to them! I don't know how long it takes for the federal loan money to come through.

Pretty sure we get $12,500 in Stafford, automatically, for the year, don't know how its divided up or how summer fits in.

Last edited:
Yeah, I did the FAFSA (about 2 weeks ago). I asked because Mills sent me a financial aid 'award' letter but I just thought about it and that's probably because they are lump-sum tuition, whereas SFSU would depend on which classes I'm actually taking. I was just wondering if my late FAFSA put me behind/should I be hearing something financially from them soon.

Yeah, I did the FAFSA (about 2 weeks ago). I asked because Mills sent me a financial aid 'award' letter but I just thought about it and that's probably because they are lump-sum tuition, whereas SFSU would depend on which classes I'm actually taking. I was just wondering if my late FAFSA put me behind/should I be hearing something financially from them soon.

Oh right. I just did mine in March, and its an estimate because we filed an extension on our taxes. Hope that won't hold me up! Mills sends that out because they also offer scholarships, I think.

I turned in my FAFSA earlier this year as well, and, financial aid is pretty limited (they give you the maximum amount of aid they give to 1st year undergrads, which definitely does not cover all our our tuition). The spoke to the financial aid contact listed in our offer letter, and she said the maximum they can give is 7500 in stafford...but maybe this is dependent on your financial situation?

Unless you have the money to pay all tuition up front, you'll probably end up taking out private loans.

Congrats to those who got into their respective programs. I was wondering if anyone knew if all students applying to the pre med CCT are all prospective MD candidates. Are there any students applying to become DO's, PA's, etc?

Congrats to those who got into their respective programs. I was wondering if anyone knew if all students applying to the pre med CCT are all prospective MD candidates. Are there any students applying to become DO's, PA's, etc?

I would imagine there are a handful of CCT'ers who are not MD intended. I'm pre-dental, and met one other pre-dental applicant at my interview. I'm sure there are pre-DO, PA's, pre-vet's and others out there as well.

I turned in my FAFSA earlier this year as well, and, financial aid is pretty limited (they give you the maximum amount of aid they give to 1st year undergrads, which definitely does not cover all our our tuition). The spoke to the financial aid contact listed in our offer letter, and she said the maximum they can give is 7500 in stafford...but maybe this is dependent on your financial situation?

Unless you have the money to pay all tuition up front, you'll probably end up taking out private loans.

Whoa, that is completely different than what I have heard. I was under the impression that we qualify as 5th year certificate-seeking status, which means $12,500 for the year. Will have to get more info on this.

There were one or two PT's and at least one DO in my interview group.

Last edited:
awesome! well best of luck to everyone. I have my interview this coming Saturday and all of these posts have definitely helped curb my nerves. Good luck to everyone and I'm sure I will be meeting a few of you on the 30th!

awesome! well best of luck to everyone. I have my interview this coming Saturday and all of these posts have definitely helped curb my nerves. Good luck to everyone and I'm sure I will be meeting a few of you on the 30th!

Good luck! :)

Regarding the money conversation, I distinctly remember that on the confirmation page of my FAFSA, where it says your EFC, it said I qualified for $12,500 in Staffords. Stafford is not based on need for the most part (I think the unsubsidized vs. subsidized is the only factor based on need).

But here is a question... The 2011/2012 school year technically starts in July I think. Does that mean we won't get loan money til after summer starts (after tuition is due)? AND does that mean we can get loan money from the 2010/2011 school year FAFSA to cover tuition in June?

Regarding the money conversation, I distinctly remember that on the confirmation page of my FAFSA, where it says your EFC, it said I qualified for $12,500 in Staffords. Stafford is not based on need for the most part (I think the unsubsidized vs. subsidized is the only factor based on need).

But here is a question... The 2011/2012 school year technically starts in July I think. Does that mean we won't get loan money til after summer starts (after tuition is due)? AND does that mean we can get loan money from the 2010/2011 school year FAFSA to cover tuition in June?

I think the amount in Stafford Loans varies depending on your financial situation. Everybody's FAFSA report is different. Some people may get more money and some people may get less. Still, when I spoke to Barbara in the financial aid office, she very clearly told me that loans are capped at $7500 for the first year and that nearly all students end up taking private loans. Give her a call and confirm maybe? And I'd also like to know about loan disbursement. Our classes start in June and the financial aid year is for 2011-2012 which starts in Fall. So that means we don't have access to those loans until the fall semester?

As for the second question about the fall, I coincidentally just e-mail Barbara questions about loan information and she told me that we need to complete the 2010-2011 FAFSA and submit the Summer Financial Aid form for SF State found here: http://www.sfsu.edu/~finaid

Also, she gave me my SF State ID so I could check the 2011-12 award online.

I'm eligible for (1st number = fall, 2nd number = spring, 3rd number = total):

FED DIRECT SUBSIDIZED LOAN $2,750 $2,750 $5,500
FED DIRECT UNSUBSIDIZED LOAN $3,500 $3,500 $7,000

Total: 12,500

Ha, I guess fafsa and sfsu financial aid think I make too much money to qualify for stafford loans! poop.

Hi everyone

i just got an invitation for predental post bac program. i am excited yet very nervous about it. I would like to know how to prepare for the interview and what kind of questions do they ask during interview. any information is helpful and appreciated. thank u everyone. ~~