Question about Prometric Rules

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDentist16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So are we allowed to touch the computer screen during the exam? For angle ranking, using the rapid glance technique is great and all, and has served me quite well throughout my DAT studying. On some of the more difficult questions, a friend of mine told me to physically cover the angles and then use the rapid glance technique, so the angles are free from distracting lines and/or sizes.

I recently suggest this on another thread, but now I bring this question to the larger community. Are we actually allowed to do this during the real exam? Or is any form of covering angles prohibited? It may seem awkward or weird, but hey it hasn't failed me yet. I'd rather cover the screen than hurt my neck turning my head backwards/forwards/upside down!

Members don't see this ad.

So are we allowed to touch the computer screen during the exam? For angle ranking, using the rapid glance technique is great and all, and has served me quite well throughout my DAT studying. On some of the more difficult questions, a friend of mine told me to physically cover the angles and then use the rapid glance technique, so the angles are free from distracting lines and/or sizes.

I recently suggest this on another thread, but now I bring this question to the larger community. Are we actually allowed to do this during the real exam? Or is any form of covering angles prohibited? It may seem awkward or weird, but hey it hasn't failed me yet. I'd rather cover the screen than hurt my neck turning my head backwards/forwards/upside down!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=832683&highlight=PAT+touch+screen

The ADA's response in regards to this issue is in the first post.

Wow, that's a heavy penalty. Thank you SO MUCH for the link to the post! I had a feeling that fingers or other objects were considered "measuring devices" but wasn't entirely sure about the ADA's policy on that.

no worries. This is issue comes up quite often, actually. I've read threads where people have gotten away with it saying it's not against the rules but I wouldn't take the risk. Having a voided DAT due to 'cheating' is not gonna help you get into d-school.

Members don't see this ad :)
no worries. This is issue comes up quite often, actually. I've read threads where people have gotten away with it saying it's not against the rules but I wouldn't take the risk. Having a voided DAT due to 'cheating' is not gonna help you get into d-school.

That's true, I'd rather not have my studying go to waste by a controversial DAT policy. The reason why I asked was for that reason exactly. I know of people who have indeed gotten away with using fingers. As stated in the original thread, some proctors don't know about this rule.

Anyhow, I've been practicing both ways and to be honest, touching the screen just makes me linger on a problem more. Eye-balling it really is faster and makes me go with my gut feeling, which is right more often then not.

"you are allowed to do whatever you want in the testing center.

If you think you need a little help with PAT, bring a protractor and a few pieces of paper just so you can shadow-draw on the screen

If your unhappy with the calculator they provide for the QR, just bring your own scientific, hell white your at it, bring your whole laptop."

lol that thread got out of control

Initially I was going to risk touching the screen since most of these Prometric employees are clueless as they have no idea how to tie their own shoe laces. But with my luck, I'll wind up being the dumb ass who gets caught and I worked way too hard to jeopardize everything at this point. Plus, we're talking about only a few angle problems. Not worth it.