Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You linked to a medical school web site that says hearing is a requirement.
Just to show you an example. Please read the whole sentence. All you do is pick the words out that bother you and argue them.
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
You linked to a medical school web site that says hearing is a requirement.
Not necessarily. You should probably look at what is covered under the ADA instead of just assuming. I personally don't know too much about what is covered under the ADA laws, but as far as being a physician, there might be some instances where things just have to be. I'd check it out before getting angry and assuming.
Its soooooo sad that in 21st century people still hold these prejudices and discriminatory attitudes.
The ADA and Rehab act do not permit universities to discriminate against students on the basis of disability.
Okay, let me ask you something.
If you are completely Deaf, as in, you don't use a hearing aid for assistance, you can't hear a thing, and you use ASL as your only way of communication.. how would you be a physician? How would you hear what a patient has to say? How could you get through rotations? These are serious questions you need to ask yourself, not things that people are just throwing out there to be rude.
Jasin,
All GPA stuff aside, how profound is your hearing loss?
There are requirements for medical school & licensing that exceed those of normal school. And are NOT fully excused by the ADA. I don't know them but I would suggest you confirm if you are eligible before you go to far down this road.
...And thank you for the congrats, it has been a long fought battle to get here.
"Candidates and students should be able to speak, hear"
They should remove that requirement. They are opening themselves up to a lawsuit under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disability Acts.
😱
You could not possibly be this narrow minded and ignorant.
Yeah, yeah. There are 51 Deaf doctors in the USA but yet, Deaf can't be doctors. What a bunch of bull crud.
Wow, you really do just like to pick out the small things of what people say, instead of focusing on the big picture. If being Deaf doesn't stop you from being a physician, your attitude sure will.Wow, you really do just like to pick out the small things of what people say, instead of focusing on the big picture. If being Deaf doesn't stop you from being a physician, your attitude sure will.
Best of luck to you.
We're not talking about universities.
You know what? You are an ASS.
fun quote, but it doesn't change anything.
Here is a link to Des Moines University's technical standards:
http://www.dmu.edu/do/admission-requirements/technical-standards/
If you look at the second requirement, under the Communication section, you will see that motivational quotes don't ALWAYS apply. This is one school.
And see this is why you are annoying everyone. He was telling you so you were aware. That way you looked into it now instead of getting to the application and every school saying "sorry, you don't qualify." He was trying to help you but you can't understand that.

Now you're resorting to name calling? Okay.
Honestly, I've tried more than once to reason with you and actually find out what your story is. I've tried to give you the benefit of the doubt. I've even tried to put myself in your shoes. But with every single post, you just remind me that it's impossible. Go ahead, call me an ass. I really don't care. Maybe to you, I am one. But you're going to have to deal with reality at some point in your life.
Now you're resorting to name calling? Okay.
Honestly, I've tried more than once to reason with you and actually find out what your story is. I've tried to give you the benefit of the doubt. I've even tried to put myself in your shoes. But with every single post, you just remind me that it's impossible. Go ahead, call me an ass. I really don't care. Maybe to you, I am one. But you're going to have to deal with reality at some point in your life.
This is why it is frustrating. I try to be calm and explain everything, I try to reason, and I don't want to just ignore him because I want to believe he isn't trolling, but there is no way he can be serious at this point.
This is why it is frustrating. I try to be calm and explain everything, I try to reason, and I don't want to just ignore him because I want to believe he isn't trolling, but there is no way he can be serious at this point.
I can certainly see how you all might be beyond frustration at this point, but this is perhaps the most hilarious thread on SDN in months!!! LOL!
You find discrimination against the Deaf "hilarious"? 👎 😡 🙁But your attitude is still discriminatory as its puts Deaf people in a negative light and promotes misconceptions and stereotypes about the Deaf.
Yep. Whatever you say dude. I have a tattoo on my arm that is a big ear and under it, it says "HEARING POWER." You deaf people are a hindrance to the advancement of the superior hearing race.
sorry SDN. I should have ignored him much sooner. I apologize for letting this thread get out of hand.
You yourself said it "Didn't seem like too big of a stretch". But why's it not a stretch? Precisely because of that fact. The fact that the physical sciences are largely chemistry and physics and NOT all sciences, as I previously noted, are that.
But I didn't say anything about physical sciences. I was talking about all of the sciences to begin with. That people with high science GPAs (all sciences) may not do well on the science (all sciences) portion of the MCAT.
Save the effort and let it go. He will just talk about you being an audist or something like that.

I love Audis. What's the big deal about that? You wanna make something of it?![]()


I can't believe this thread.
is all I can say.List of medical professional programs that have graduated a Deaf/HOH individual or who have such a student currently enrolled in their program.
http://www.amphl.org/profprogs.php
II. Communication: A candidate should be able to speak, to hear, and to observe patients in order to elicit information, describe changes in mood, activity, and posture, and perceive nonverbal communications.
http://hms.harvard.edu/admissions/default.asp?page=detailed#section 10
But I didn't say anything about physical sciences. I was talking about all of the sciences to begin with. That people with high science GPAs (all sciences) may not do well on the science (all sciences) portion of the MCAT.
that's interesting, cause most med schools have technical requirements
that's interesting, cause most med schools have technical requirements which include being able to talk
Harvard med school
Btw, I've been meaning to say it for a while, but congrats on Colorado! I (along with everyone else and their dogs) was cheering for you.
...and then we find out they have a 2.5 GPA.I got rejected for being too old/young.
...and then we find out they don't think they should have to take the MCAT because they've worked as a nurse/PT/OT/PA/etc.It's nurse discrimination, plain and simple.
...and then we find out they only applied to one school.Med schools discriminate against <religious affiliation>.
...18 MCAT.I wish somebody would have told me at the beginning that I shouldn't try for med school if I'm obese/short/albino/balding.
...all of the above, most likely. I still think we're talking to a bored 13 year old girl in Beijing.You a-holes are fascist oppressors of the disabled
Seeing as how I'm bored at work these days I decided to check out jasins source of info and found it to be interesting. Very encouraging and well written but it doesn't seem to talk about what you actually need to do in order to get into medical school. Rather, it touches on difficulties deaf people may have in taking the vr section, dismisses the technical requirements by saying they can be overcome (without saying how) and implies that a spot in med school is anyone's for the taking if they work hard. Fair enough, but I think this might be a bit misleading; it says nowhere that the deaf will be held to the same standards as everyone else.
Exactly.Seeing as how I'm bored at work these days I decided to check out jasins source of info and found it to be interesting. Very encouraging and well written but it doesn't seem to talk about what you actually need to do in order to get into medical school. Rather, it touches on difficulties deaf people may have in taking the vr section, dismisses the technical requirements by saying they can be overcome (without saying how) and implies that a spot in med school is anyone's for the taking if they work hard. Fair enough, but I think this might be a bit misleading; it says nowhere that the deaf will be held to the same standards as everyone else.
This looks a lot like the usual class discrimination claim. A recap of the last 5 years in nontrad:
...and then we find out they have a 2.5 GPA.
...and then we find out they don't think they should have to take the MCAT because they've worked as a nurse/PT/OT/PA/etc.
...and then we find out they only applied to one school.
...18 MCAT.
...all of the above, most likely. I still think we're talking to a bored 13 year old girl in Beijing.
Exactly.
1. Primary education of the Deaf results in a 4th grade reading level. This is a failure in primary education.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.