Have low grades, want to apply to med school. Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny411

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

All of you stories are very inspiring and make me think that there is still hope for me. I am currently a 3rd year undergrad with 2.4 cGPA and a 2.71 sGPA. I really struggled in my classes my second semester first year and my second year. I was recently looking at my grades and the reqs for the med schools I want to apply to and I just fell that I won't get in to any of them. I only have 2.5 semesters left until I graduate and after reading this thread I feel positive and less stress to bring my grades up, but I will obviously try to bring it up. I have done a lot of clinical work at hospitals during summers and I am currently doing an internship with AmeriCorps and CAL PIRG. I am also part of 4 different clubs and organizations at my university and I plan to become president of one of my clubs next school year. So from the looks of it I am very dedicated and very keen on going into medical school, but I feel like my GPA will crush that dream. I plan on taking the MCAT during the summer and I will be doing some research projects this coming semester with my molecular bio professor (who is has been published in many different projects and is well known for her work and a very selective research scientist to work with). I know a lot of you are nontrads that took several years off and started working and getting postbac degrees. I really don't want to take several years off and apply for postbac degrees. I don't have have any student debt to worry about from my undergrad since my parent are wealthy, but I will have to make it out on my own once I graduate and don't want to take courses for a postbac degree and wait two more years to start my life as a doctor. I really want to do it the old fashion way and get into med school right after undergrad with maybe a year off to do more research and start working to make my own money. So what I am trying to say, is there still possibility of getting accepted into med school the traditional way with possibly a GPA of 3.09 after I graduate with the amount of work I am doing now as an undergrad and a year after I graduate? Or please give me any feedback or suggestions or advice that you could give me? I have been talking to my advisors and they just said that I will not be a doctor, which made me cry so much when I got to apartment. But then I talked to my uncles whom are doctors and they said its not all about grades but of experience, dedication, motivation, and passion. Yes, grades are very important in the decision factor, but they are one of many decisions factors. This has been a dream of mine since I was a kid and I will not be discouraged by others just because your grades are less then expected for med school.

That's my whole thing on that topic, but please give me all the advice, feedback, and suggestions you can think of for me. And remember We are all in this together?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

All of you stories are very inspiring and make me think that there is still hope for me. I am currently a 3rd year undergrad with 2.4 cGPA and a 2.71 sGPA. I really struggled in my classes my second semester first year and my second year. I was recently looking at my grades and the reqs for the med schools I want to apply to and I just fell that I won't get in to any of them. I only have 2.5 semesters left until I graduate and after reading this thread I feel positive and less stress to bring my grades up, but I will obviously try to bring it up. I have done a lot of clinical work at hospitals during summers and I am currently doing an internship with AmeriCorps and CAL PIRG. I am also part of 4 different clubs and organizations at my university and I plan to become president of one of my clubs next school year. So from the looks of it I am very dedicated and very keen on going into medical school, but I feel like my GPA will crush that dream. I plan on taking the MCAT during the summer and I will be doing some research projects this coming semester with my molecular bio professor (who is has been published in many different projects and is well known for her work and a very selective research scientist to work with). I know a lot of you are nontrads that took several years off and started working and getting postbac degrees. I really don't want to take several years off and apply for postbac degrees. I don't have have any student debt to worry about from my undergrad since my parent are wealthy, but I will have to make it out on my own once I graduate and don't want to take courses for a postbac degree and wait two more years to start my life as a doctor. I really want to do it the old fashion way and get into med school right after undergrad with maybe a year off to do more research and start working to make my own money. So what I am trying to say, is there still possibility of getting accepted into med school the traditional way with possibly a GPA of 3.09 after I graduate with the amount of work I am doing now as an undergrad and a year after I graduate? Or please give me any feedback or suggestions or advice that you could give me? I have been talking to my advisors and they just said that I will not be a doctor, which made me cry so much when I got to apartment. But then I talked to my uncles whom are doctors and they said its not all about grades but of experience, dedication, motivation, and passion. Yes, grades are very important in the decision factor, but they are one of many decisions factors. This has been a dream of mine since I was a kid and I will not be discouraged by others just because your grades are less then expected for med school.

That's my whole thing on that topic, but please give me all the advice, feedback, and suggestions you can think of for me. And remember We are all in this together?

Can you break that up? One BIG huge paragraph is very hard for the Deaf to read.

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA not fixable at this point. Finish your degree and do your best to make A's from here on out.

Forget going to MD school. Only possibility is DO since they allow grade replacement.

Once you finish your degree. TAKE A BREAK and work, do something else. If you decide it's what you really want.......

Create your own informal post-bacc. Take all the pre-req's that you have poor grades in AT THE SAME TIME. Taking one class at a time isn't going to cut it. It have to prove you can handle 16-18 credits of pure science all at the same time. If you can handle a job too and make A's the better it looks. The first semester of medical school is 35 credits of pure science and you don't have the option of dropping classes.

Once you have a new GPA, take the MCAT, get a high score. Apply early. Have a great story, be realistic

For the sake of discussion I will describe the opposing view. This is a student who had a 2.4 GPA in a college courseload. You are proposing he or she take a courseload that is almost certainly more demanding than the courseloads he's had so far. It could be a lot more demanding. To expect even a 3.0 GPA from that is very unlikely.

Introductory science courses involve concepts that need time and practice to sink in. They are qualitatively different from a memorization contest where brute force memorization will be a great idea.

Chemistry courses build upon ideas from middle school. Should he have done middle school in 1 year instead of 3? No.

I'd vote for an unusually low course load, with a reduction in time for ECs and employment. The OP has been doing a lot of ECs while getting a 2.4 GPA. Aim for high A's.

Not everyone with a low GPA is an idiot you know. Some people just didn't study or didn't care about school. However, I agree that If said student legitimately cannot handle a 16-18 hour semester of pre-reqs and/or a mix of upper levels, then they certainly would not be able to handle med school.

For the sake of discussion I will describe the opposing view. This is a student who had a 2.4 GPA in a college courseload. You are proposing he or she take a courseload that is almost certainly more demanding than the courseloads he's had so far. It could be a lot more demanding. To expect even a 3.0 GPA from that is very unlikely.

I'd vote for an unusually low course load, with a reduction in time for ECs and employment. The OP has been doing a lot of ECs while getting a 2.4 GPA. Aim for high A's.

For the sake of discussion, I'll add that I was once an undergrad who graduated with a 2.4 gpa. I handled my postbacc years just fine. OP, do a full course load. You will need to do this in order to 1) make sure you have what it takes and 2) show adcoms you have what it takes. Plain and simple.

Introductory science courses involve concepts that need time and practice to sink in. They are qualitatively different from a memorization contest where brute force memorization will be a great idea.

Chemistry courses build upon ideas from middle school. Should he have done middle school in 1 year instead of 3? No.

I'd vote for an unusually low course load, with a reduction in time for ECs and employment. The OP has been doing a lot of ECs while getting a 2.4 GPA. Aim for high A's.[/QUOTE]

Preaching to the choir here. I graduated with a science degree with an GPA of 2.7 after spending 3 years trying to "fix" my GPA. Low grades don't mean you didn't get the concepts intially. In my case there was always some illness or personal crisis, or family issue, or the fact that I worked two jobs because I was homeless, etc. Once I got done with my degree, took a break, and went back it all became so much clearer and less stressful. My advice is based on my own personal experience and how I was able to turn it around an ultimately get accepted. Anyone can take one class and get an A, that's not going to prove your ability to survive the 35+ credit semesters that medical school is and you are expected to survive and pass.

It ultimately comes down to what the person can handle, I agree with that. But in order to really shine after doing poorly, it takes risk and determination to fix your prior mistakes.

That whole write up there is nothing but a shoot down.
Ah, but it's a partial shoot down. There's an act of kindness in discouraging a person from taking on the ridiculous and expensive years of work to get into med school from a very low GPA. Those ridiculous and expensive years of work on a GPA comeback have no return on investment unless they result in a med school admission. Somebody who's willing to give up because it's too difficult, or because they don't really want it, should have access to the info that it's very very very difficult and you have to really really really want it before investing.

Perhaps you're not seeing that the bulk of that post is practical advice for those who won't give up. It's a recipe for how to be taken seriously as a med school candidate. If you're projecting that it's from an angry judgmental dismissive hater, that's your choice, but there was no such thing in the writing of it. Frankly, it's the info that I needed, and couldn't find because people didn't want to be impolite, when I started my GPA comeback.

Best of luck to you.

It's supposed to be. Because if someone is so on the fence about med school that they can be talked out of it by an internet post, then DrM did them a huge favor.

Would it not it be better to give advice that works and is helpful rather than to just destroy a person's dreams? We all know there are ways around being rejected by medical schools. Grades are not the end all be all anyways. Lots of very, very smart people that have been rejected from medical schools, some who have even gone on to be doctors, because of grades have proven that.

Would it not it be better to give advice that works and is helpful rather than to just destroy a person's dreams? We all know there are ways around being rejected by medical schools. Grades do not say everything anyways. Lots of very, very smart people that have been rejected from medical schools because of grades proves that.

It's not destroying anyone's dreams. It's being honest. Unfortunately, grades are (one of) the biggest parts of getting into medical school. If there is one person who can read that above advice, and get automatically discouraged, then clearly, they didn't want it enough. The person that reads that advice and goes, "I can do this; I can beat the odds!" is someone who is determined and I would love to think that person DOES beat the odds, kicks butt, and gets into medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, but it's a partial shoot down. There's an act of kindness in discouraging a person from taking on the ridiculous and expensive years of work to get into med school from a very low GPA.

So then are you saying people who do not have high grades are just stupid? Because that's what it kind of seems here. You said say, "from taking on the ridiculous"

So then are you saying people who do not have high grades are just stupid? Because that's what it kind of seems here. You said say, "from taking on the ridiculous"

You seem to assume this in almost every thread I've read about low scores recently. No one is ever saying that. There are different ways in which a person is smart. In getting into medical school, you need to have the grades and prove you can handle the rigor. If someone can't do that, it doesn't mean they are stupid. It just means it was too much for them, and that's okay. Not everyone who wants to be a physician can actually BE one.

It's being honest.

That's the same dam thing the people who said I would not graduate from college and would never accomplish anything said to me. They said too, they were just being honest. Thank God I did not listen to them though because if I did then I would have accomplished nothing. I would probably just be a bum or something.

That's the same dam thing the people who said I would not graduate from college and would never accomplish anything said to me. They said they were just being honest. Thank God I did not listen to them though because if I did then I would have accomplished nothing. I would probably just be a bum or something.

Then there you go. People can read DrMidlife's thread advice, and go "I'm not going to listen to that, I'm going to do what I can to succeed," and do so. You did it, so why are you suggesting that others can't? Why can't they read it and let the words simply motivate them?

Then there you go. People can read DrMidlife's thread advice, and go "I'm not going to listen to that, I'm going to do what I can to succeed," and do so. You did it, so why are you suggesting that others can't? Why can't they read it and let the words simply motivate them?

Not listening to those who discourage you is a part of doing what one should to succeed. You need confidence to have success. And letting people beat you down certainly won't give that confidence.

You seem to assume this in almost every thread I've read about low scores recently. No one is ever saying that. There are different ways in which a person is smart. In getting into medical school, you need to have the grades and prove you can handle the rigor. If someone can't do that, it doesn't mean they are stupid. It just means it was too much for them, and that's okay. Not everyone who wants to be a physician can actually BE one.

I'm not assuming anything. I looked up in the dictionary the "ridiculous" word DrMidlife used. It means, "stupid".

Last edited:
Not listening to those who discourage you is a part of doing what one should to succeed. You need confidence to have success. And letting people beat you down certainly won't give that confidence.

I don't think the post is beating anyone down. If I have a 2.3 GPA and I'm assuming I'll still get into medical school because I have a good heart, someone needs to tell me that I need to step it up, or it's just not going to work, and even then, my stepping it up might be too late. You can't give people false hope when there isn't any hope to give.

This might be a bad analogy, but look at American Idol. These hopefuls, some who have terrible voices, have been told by family and friends that they sound GREAT because they didn't want to hurt them. Well, then they have this hope, they go to American Idol, and they're told they don't have a shot. They needed to be told that because they'd go around thinking they had the talent they clearly didn't.

We're in college, or grad school, hoping to be physicians. We can't be told that we're all winners. My mom still doesn't approve of me wanting to go to medical school. She thinks I won't make it, and she does say rude things at times. But I ignore it, and I can't wait to prove her wrong. Just because someone beats you down doesn't mean you have to take it.

I'm not assuming anything. I looked up in the dictionary the "ridiculous" word you used. It means, "stupid".

I never used ridiculous, actually. You were quoting someone else.

And ridiculous.. hmm..

ri·dic·u·lous   [ri-dik-yuh-luhs]
adjective
causing or worthy of ridicule or derision; absurd; preposterous; laughable: a ridiculous plan.

I don't see the word "stupid" there.

And ridiculous.. hmm..

adjective
causing or worthy of ridicule or derision; absurd; preposterous; laughable: a ridiculous plan.

Right, DrMidlife did. If I said "you" then my bad, I apologize. I was only pointing out that I am not assuming when in fact DrMidlife did say that.

And ridiculous.. hmm..

adjective

Btw, I did edit that post. I made a correction. I inserted "DrMidlife" so there is no confusion.

And ridiculous.. hmm..

adjective

I used the definition given in the thesaurus at dictionary.com

ridiculous

Main Entry: ridiculous  [ri-dik-yuh-luhs] Show IPA
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: stupid, funny

http://thesaurus.com/browse/ridicul...mctr=(not provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=254794760

I used the definition given in the thesaurus at dictionary.com

ridiculous

Main Entry: ridiculous  [ri-dik-yuh-luhs] Show IPA
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: stupid, funny

I'm sorry, but that's not the definition, then. That's just looking for words that are similar to the word ridiculous. Clearly, you are misunderstanding the use of the way DrMidLife put it.

I'm really not going to argue on the merit of one word that someone else used. That just seems moot. Let's get back to the topic at hand.

Ridiculous is not the same word as stupid. I invite you to consider that the words I choose do not come from anger, judgment or dismissal. I'm very proud, and fond, of my choice to continue down a ridiculously long and expensive GPA comeback into med school. I get ridiculed for choosing that path, and that ridicule is based on conventional wisdom and practicality and tough love, thus it is a ridiculous path.

Let me be more specific. It was ridiculous for me to invest additional years between undergrad and med school, just to get into med school. There are other careers with high pay, respect, prestige, influence, and a positive impact on the human condition, that don't require a high risk investment. My insistence on medical training is not only ridiculous, it's selfish and hubristic. The extra years and money for my GPA comeback help nobody but me, and if those extra years and money hadn't resulted in getting accepted, because I did not responsibly consider the downside, and bailed out or performed poorly, then they helped nobody at all. Choosing a ridiculous, selfish and hubristic comeback into med school does not mean I'm innately ridiculous, selfish or hubristic. Or stupid. I think it just means I'm an American raised on Disney.

If you need to turn all the low GPA comeback threads into "stop calling people stupid" threads, that's your prerogative, but I suggest you could make more productive choices, and maybe contribute to the body of practical advice here.

Best of luck to you.

Perhaps you're not seeing that the bulk of that post is practical advice for those who won't give up. It's a recipe for how to be taken seriously as a med school candidate. If you're projecting that it's from an angry judgmental dismissive hater, that's your choice, but there was no such thing in the writing of it. Frankly, it's the info that I needed, and couldn't find because people didn't want to be impolite, when I started my GPA comeback.

Best of luck to you.

I am finding that in my low-GPA comeback, despite the amount of A's and A+'s it is very difficult to be taken seriously. As a non-trad, that is one of our most difficult tasks. In fairness, we should not be taken seriously because we allowed ourselves to be in this position in the first place. I have also come to believe that despite all I do, there will be those that will not take me seriously. This is part of the territory.

To those finding Dr Midlife's words harsh, make no mistake, it is an uphill battle. There are many giving up more than they realize, a good job, stable, secure future, and high income, all for the chance to be rejected in the admissions process. True, it can be gloom and doom, but it is better to know what you are getting yourself into than to find out after you've given it up. Dr M does a good and terse job in informing.

I'm sorry, but that's not the definition, then. That's just looking for words that are similar to the word ridiculous. Clearly, you are misunderstanding the use of the way DrMidLife put it.

I'm really not going to argue on the merit of one word that someone else used. That just seems moot. Let's get back to the topic at hand.

You can believe what you want but I still did not make up or assume anything.

Ridiculous is not the same word as stupid. I invite you to consider that the words I choose do not come from anger, judgment or dismissal. I'm very proud, and fond, of my choice to continue down a ridiculously long and expensive GPA comeback into med school. I get ridiculed for choosing that path, and that ridicule is based on conventional wisdom and practicality and tough love, thus it is a ridiculous path.

Let me be more specific. It was ridiculous for me to invest additional years between undergrad and med school, just to get into med school. There are other careers with high pay, respect, prestige, influence, and a positive impact on the human condition, that don't require a high risk investment. My insistence on medical training is not only ridiculous, it's selfish and hubristic. The extra years and money for my GPA comeback help nobody but me, and if those extra years and money hadn't resulted in getting accepted, because I did not responsibly consider the downside, and bailed out or performed poorly, then they helped nobody at all. Choosing a ridiculous, selfish and hubristic comeback into med school does not mean I'm innately ridiculous, selfish or hubristic. Or stupid. I think it just means I'm an American raised on Disney.

If you need to turn all the low GPA comeback threads into "stop calling people stupid" threads, that's your prerogative, but I suggest you could make more productive choices, and maybe contribute to the body of practical advice here.

Best of luck to you.

Let me just state this. The reason your advice is not creditable is not because its bad advice but because it would also apply to people like Harold E. Varmus when they were in the process of applying to medical school.

I am finding that in my low-GPA comeback, despite the amount of A's and A+'s it is very difficult to be taken seriously. As a non-trad, that is one of our most difficult tasks. In fairness, we should not be taken seriously because we allowed ourselves to be in this position in the first place. I have also come to believe that despite all I do, there will be those that will not take me seriously. This is part of the territory.

To those finding Dr Midlife's words harsh, make no mistake, it is an uphill battle. There are many giving up more than they realize, a good job, stable, secure future, and high income, all for the chance to be rejected in the admissions process. True, it can be gloom and doom, but it is better to know what you are getting yourself into than to find out after you've given it up. Dr M does a good and terse job in informing.

No one is saying applying to medical school will be easy or there is no criteria that needs met. That is far from the truth. Its just everything is not as concrete as some on here would like to make it.

Best of luck to you.

You are not the Dean of Admissions and you are certainly NOT God. So you do NOT decide who does or does not get into medical school!!

it would also apply to people like Harold E. Varmus when they were in the process of applying to medical school.
Exactly. There are a ton of people who come to SDN looking for how they can get into medical school because they want to be House or JD or Meredith. They're looking for the path to med school that doesn't include getting A's in hard science. They're going after med school like 8 year old girls go after unicorns. In nontrad we see 35 year-olds doing this. I don't have a problem with dissuading these folks.

If you feel belittled by my advice, you're choosing to feel belittled. Are you Harold E. Varmus? No, obviously not. Are you stupid? I hope you say "no, obviously not". Am I most likely wanting to crush a genuine ambition? No, obviously not.

Best of luck to you.

You are not the Dean of Admissions and you are certainly NOT God. So you do NOT decide who does or does not get into medical school!!
Isn't it interesting that me talking about my story got you riled.

Let me just state this. The reason your advice is not creditable is not because its bad advice but because it would also apply to people like Harold E. Varmus when they were in the process of applying to medical school.

Varmus went to med school at Columbia. I seriously doubt that anything discussed in this thread would apply to him while he was a premed.

You can believe what you want but I still did not make up or assume anything.

No, you did assume. You're taking words out of context and reading what you want to read. Sorry that you're taking offense to everything that isn't matching up with your own opinion.

Varmus went to med school at Columbia. I seriously doubt that anything discussed in this thread would apply to him while he was a premed.

Yeah, but he was rejected by Harvard twice. So that advice given about just giving up would have applied to him too. Nevertheless, the guy is smarter than any of those clowns at Harvard who rejected him or anyone on here who tells people to just give up.

Jasin, I'm getting the impression that English is not your native language. I'm saying this because you had to look up what the word "ridiculous" means, and you are consistently misinterpreting what other posters are saying. This may be the reason why it seems to you that everyone else is being so mean or judgmental, even though they actually aren't. I'm pointing this out because you may want to take into consideration that other people's ideas seem to be getting lost in translation here.

No, you did assume. You're taking words out of context and reading what you want to read. Sorry that you're taking offense to everything that isn't matching up with your own opinion.

Actually I asked if he was calling people "stupid" as according to the definition I gave, after the fact, ridiculous meant "stupid". And that is not assuming that is getting clarification. I only asked for clarification.

the responses to this thread look scary so I'm not going to read them.

OP:

"We can never judge the lives of others, because each person knows only their own pain and renunciation. It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think that yours is the only path."
― Paulo Coelho

If you really want it, you can make it happen!

Jasin, I'm getting the impression that English is not your native language. I'm saying this because you had to look up what the word "ridiculous" means

So what if English is not my native language?

the responses to this thread look scary so I'm not going to read them.

OP:

“We can never judge the lives of others, because each person knows only their own pain and renunciation. It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think that yours is the only path.”
― Paulo Coelho

If you really want it, you can make it happen!

Nice quote :)

Actually I asked if he was calling people "stupid" as according to the definition I gave, after the fact, ridiculous meant "stupid". And that is not assuming that is getting clarification. I only asked for clarification.

Ridiculous doesn't mean stupid. You used a thesaurus.

Honestly, you sound like you have a chip on your shoulder because of some bad medical school application experience and you need to let it go. Your situation is not going to line up with others. Not everyone is going to go through the same means of getting to medical school. If you want to advocate pushing through in the face of adversity, that's awesome. I have no issues with that. But all you're doing is arguing with people on the merits of what they think will happen to someone with a less than stellar GPA trying to get into medical school.

I don't know what your story is; whether you got into medical school, what happened in your journey to get there, or whatever. But it's obvious you have some issues about the process that you're taking out on everyone who doesn't give stickers to the underdog.

Ridiculous doesn't mean stupid. You used a thesaurus.

Honestly, you sound like you have a chip on your shoulder because of some bad medical school application experience and you need to let it go. Your situation is not going to line up with others. Not everyone is going to go through the same means of getting to medical school. If you want to advocate pushing through in the face of adversity, that's awesome. I have no issues with that. But all you're doing is arguing with people on the merits of what they think will happen to someone with a less than stellar GPA trying to get into medical school.

I don't know what your story is; whether you got into medical school, what happened in your journey to get there, or whatever. But it's obvious you have some issues about the process that you're taking out on everyone who doesn't give stickers to the underdog.

This is an argumentum ad hominem.

Last edited:
Thesaurus:

1. a dictionary of synonyms and antonyms
2. any dictionary, encyclopedia, or other comprehensive reference book.

You just love to beat the ever-loving $hit out of a dead horse, don't you?

Talk about argumentum ad hominem.

You just love to beat the ever-loving $hit out of a dead horse, don't you?

Talk about argumentum ad hominem.

I never attacked you personally or used any circumstances surrounding you and your life to refute a claim and/or argument you made. Therefore, nothing I argued, stated, or claimed would qualify as being an ad hominem.

I never attacked you personally or used any circumstances surrounding you and your life to refute a claim and/or argument you made. Therefore, nothing I argued, stated, or claimed could qualify as being an ad hominem.

I never attacked you personally, either. I just made an assumption based on the fact that you are entirely defensive over a situation that doesn't even directly affect you. You, however, feel like you have to comment to everyone on this thread and argue about how they're wrong because they don't agree with what you've said. You haven't been able to let this thread go since it started. The OP hasn't been back in forever.

But the fact that you continuously have to post about where you get your definitions just to prove a point means you really can't let things go.

Status
Not open for further replies.