Have low grades, want to apply to med school. Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You linked to a medical school web site that says hearing is a requirement.

Just to show you an example. Please read the whole sentence. All you do is pick the words out that bother you and argue them.

Members don't see this ad.

Not necessarily. You should probably look at what is covered under the ADA instead of just assuming. I personally don't know too much about what is covered under the ADA laws, but as far as being a physician, there might be some instances where things just have to be. I'd check it out before getting angry and assuming.

The ADA and Rehab act do not permit universities to discriminate against students on the basis of disability.

Its soooooo sad that in 21st century people still hold these prejudices and discriminatory attitudes.

Okay, let me ask you something.

If you are completely Deaf, as in, you don't use a hearing aid for assistance, you can't hear a thing, and you use ASL as your only way of communication.. how would you be a physician? How would you hear what a patient has to say? How could you get through rotations? These are serious questions you need to ask yourself, not things that people are just throwing out there to be rude.

Members don't see this ad :)
The ADA and Rehab act do not permit universities to discriminate against students on the basis of disability.

We're not talking about universities. We're talking about medical school, where your ultimate goal is to become a physician. It's different.

Okay, let me ask you something.

If you are completely Deaf, as in, you don't use a hearing aid for assistance, you can't hear a thing, and you use ASL as your only way of communication.. how would you be a physician? How would you hear what a patient has to say? How could you get through rotations? These are serious questions you need to ask yourself, not things that people are just throwing out there to be rude.

:eek:

You could not possibly be this narrow minded and ignorant.

Yawn......

Jasin,

All GPA stuff aside, how profound is your hearing loss?

There are requirements for medical school & licensing that exceed those of normal school. And are NOT fully excused by the ADA. I don't know them but I would suggest you confirm if you are eligible before you go to far down this road.

...And thank you for the congrats, it has been a long fought battle to get here.

"Candidates and students should be able to speak, hear"

They should remove that requirement. They are opening themselves up to a lawsuit under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disability Acts.

I don't know what applies and what doesn't, I am not deaf. But it is right there. I don't know what to tell you. There are deaf doctors out there, but it is worth looking into. Maybe they had special accommodations or different requirements. I don't know. Again, people aren't trying to discriminate. it isn't an attitude about being better. It is a contract to attend med school. look into it.

:eek:

You could not possibly be this narrow minded and ignorant.

Do you see what you're doing? I'm actually ASKING YOU REAL QUESTIONS. I'm not being rude, I'm not being ignorant. The fact that you can't even come to terms with the situation at hand astounds me.

Yeah, yeah. There are 51 Deaf doctors in the USA but yet, Deaf can't be doctors. What a bunch of bull crud.

Yeah, yeah. There are 51 Deaf doctors in the USA but yet, Deaf can't be doctors. What a bunch of bull crud.

:laugh: Wow, you really do just like to pick out the small things of what people say, instead of focusing on the big picture. If being Deaf doesn't stop you from being a physician, your attitude sure will.

Best of luck to you.

This is classic Audism!!

:laugh: Wow, you really do just like to pick out the small things of what people say, instead of focusing on the big picture. If being Deaf doesn't stop you from being a physician, your attitude sure will.

Best of luck to you.

You know what? You are an ASS.

This is classic Audism!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You know what? You are an ASS.

Now you're resorting to name calling? Okay.

Honestly, I've tried more than once to reason with you and actually find out what your story is. I've tried to give you the benefit of the doubt. I've even tried to put myself in your shoes. But with every single post, you just remind me that it's impossible. Go ahead, call me an ass. I really don't care. Maybe to you, I am one. But you're going to have to deal with reality at some point in your life.

fun quote, but it doesn't change anything.

Here is a link to Des Moines University's technical standards:
http://www.dmu.edu/do/admission-requirements/technical-standards/

If you look at the second requirement, under the Communication section, you will see that motivational quotes don't ALWAYS apply. This is one school.

And see this is why you are annoying everyone. He was telling you so you were aware. That way you looked into it now instead of getting to the application and every school saying "sorry, you don't qualify." He was trying to help you but you can't understand that.

:bullcrap:

Honestly, I've tried more than once to reason with you and actually find out what your story is. I've tried to give you the benefit of the doubt. I've even tried to put myself in your shoes. But with every single post, you just remind me that it's impossible. Go ahead, call me an ass. I really don't care. Maybe to you, I am one. But you're going to have to deal with reality at some point in your life.

I'm ignoring you. I do not have time for people who tell me I can't do something because I am deaf.

Last edited:

This is why it is frustrating. I try to be calm and explain everything, I try to reason, and I don't want to just ignore him because I want to believe he isn't trolling, but there is no way he can be serious at this point.

This is why it is frustrating. I try to be calm and explain everything, I try to reason, and I don't want to just ignore him because I want to believe he isn't trolling, but there is no way he can be serious at this point.

Yeah, that's pretty much my whole issue. You try to go in at every angle, and it's just useless. Honestly, I wish he'd just leave instead of just commenting 5 times to different parts of someone's post.

But your attitude is still discriminatory as its puts Deaf people in a negative light and promotes misconceptions and stereotypes about the Deaf.

Even on the Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday people still discriminate. Sooooo sad!!

I can certainly see how you all might be beyond frustration at this point, but this is perhaps the most hilarious thread on SDN in months!!! LOL!

I can certainly see how you all might be beyond frustration at this point, but this is perhaps the most hilarious thread on SDN in months!!! LOL!

:wtf: You find discrimination against the Deaf "hilarious"? :thumbdown: :mad: :(

But your attitude is still discriminatory as its puts Deaf people in a negative light and promotes misconceptions and stereotypes about the Deaf.

Yep. Whatever you say dude. I have a tattoo on my arm that is a big ear and under it, it says "HEARING POWER." You deaf people are a hindrance to the advancement of the superior hearing race.

Yep. Whatever you say dude. I have a tattoo on my arm that is a big ear and under it, it says "HEARING POWER." You deaf people are a hindrance to the advancement of the superior hearing race.

You are now ignored!

sorry SDN. I should have ignored him much sooner. I apologize for letting this thread get out of hand.

No worries. I was guilty of it, too. I think we just tried too hard, and in the interest of trying to figure out the deal with him, just let it snowball.

Edit: He's still going, so we can just watch him argue with himself.

You yourself said it "Didn't seem like too big of a stretch". But why's it not a stretch? Precisely because of that fact. The fact that the physical sciences are largely chemistry and physics and NOT all sciences, as I previously noted, are that.

But I didn't say anything about physical sciences. I was talking about all of the sciences to begin with. That people with high science GPAs (all sciences) may not do well on the science (all sciences) portion of the MCAT.

But I didn't say anything about physical sciences. I was talking about all of the sciences to begin with. That people with high science GPAs (all sciences) may not do well on the science (all sciences) portion of the MCAT.

Save the effort and let it go. He will just talk about you being an audist or something like that.

I try not to casually throw accusations around, and we generally seem to be pretty safe here on non-trad, but I think a lot of people took the bait in this topic. A fire only continues to burn as long as fuel is added - I suggest we all walk away and just let this one burn itself out.

maximum-trolling-8905-2560x1600.jpg

List of medical professional programs that have graduated a Deaf/HOH individual or who have such a student currently enrolled in their program.

http://www.amphl.org/profprogs.php

that's interesting, cause most med schools have technical requirements which include being able to talk to and listen to patients. for example here is from Harvard med school, which is included in the list on that web page, so i'm confused....

II. Communication: A candidate should be able to speak, to hear, and to observe patients in order to elicit information, describe changes in mood, activity, and posture, and perceive nonverbal communications.

http://hms.harvard.edu/admissions/default.asp?page=detailed#section 10

But thats what we were talking about, sciences. see posts #63, 66, 68

Did any of you get accepted to Harvard Medical???

Btw, I've been meaning to say it for a while, but congrats on Colorado! I (along with everyone else and their dogs) was cheering for you.

Aww, you're sweet LKTHLTTR, thank you!

This looks a lot like the usual class discrimination claim. A recap of the last 5 years in nontrad:

I got rejected for being too old/young.
...and then we find out they have a 2.5 GPA.

It's nurse discrimination, plain and simple.
...and then we find out they don't think they should have to take the MCAT because they've worked as a nurse/PT/OT/PA/etc.

Med schools discriminate against <religious affiliation>.
...and then we find out they only applied to one school.

I wish somebody would have told me at the beginning that I shouldn't try for med school if I'm obese/short/albino/balding.
...18 MCAT.

You a-holes are fascist oppressors of the disabled
...all of the above, most likely. I still think we're talking to a bored 13 year old girl in Beijing.

Seeing as how I'm bored at work these days I decided to check out jasins source of info and found it to be interesting. Very encouraging and well written but it doesn't seem to talk about what you actually need to do in order to get into medical school. Rather, it touches on difficulties deaf people may have in taking the vr section, dismisses the technical requirements by saying they can be overcome (without saying how) and implies that a spot in med school is anyone's for the taking if they work hard. Fair enough, but I think this might be a bit misleading; it says nowhere that the deaf will be held to the same standards as everyone else.

Seeing as how I'm bored at work these days I decided to check out jasins source of info and found it to be interesting. Very encouraging and well written but it doesn't seem to talk about what you actually need to do in order to get into medical school. Rather, it touches on difficulties deaf people may have in taking the vr section, dismisses the technical requirements by saying they can be overcome (without saying how) and implies that a spot in med school is anyone's for the taking if they work hard. Fair enough, but I think this might be a bit misleading; it says nowhere that the deaf will be held to the same standards as everyone else.

+1. Basically what people have been saying. Look into exactly what is needed.

Exactly.

I'm a total hippie commie liberal tax&spend kind of person; in my view, it's of interest to throw money & effort at two problems:
1. Primary education of the Deaf results in a 4th grade reading level. This is a failure in primary education.
2. Education, in general, of a differently-abled student may require a full time assistant, either for communication or physical skills or both. Jobs for all.

I have no enthusiasm for this problem:
1. Medical education is not accessible to those thrown under the bus by their primary education. Med ed can't fix primary ed.

Best of luck to you.

This looks a lot like the usual class discrimination claim. A recap of the last 5 years in nontrad:

...and then we find out they have a 2.5 GPA.

...and then we find out they don't think they should have to take the MCAT because they've worked as a nurse/PT/OT/PA/etc.

...and then we find out they only applied to one school.

...18 MCAT.

...all of the above, most likely. I still think we're talking to a bored 13 year old girl in Beijing.

:eek: WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.