Have low grades, want to apply to med school. Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it touches on difficulties deaf people may have

Any difficulties we have are because of hearing people.

Members don't see this ad.

You have ignorantly assumed all Deaf people are mute. :mad:

I didn't say anything about muteness. you're talking about deafness, and the statement from Harvard specifically states that candidates must be able to hear. I used Harvard only as an example, but I think all med schools have similar requirements. So I wonder how it could be possible that they have admitted any deaf candidates.

can we rely on a physician's ability to read lips in the middle of a medical emergency? it would be impossible to look at everybody's lips while trying to intubate a patient or put in a central line etc etc.

Yes, because when I yell code down the hall it is MY fault you can't hear it.

Drop the persecution complex. Life sucks, but the world is not out to get you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rather than continue on a multi-day argument that seems to be going nowhere, I encourage users to make use of the ignore function. It won't do much to pad your post count, but it may save your sanity.

I didn't say anything about muteness.

If you were not saying Deaf are mute then why quote a technical requirement, and ask how Deaf are capable of fulfilling that requirement, that states "A candidate should be able to speak" ??

Last edited:
Yes, because when I yell code down the hall it is MY fault you can't hear it.

Drop the persecution complex. Life sucks, but the world is not out to get you.

You've been watching TV to much.

You've been watching TV to much.

One of us is sitting in a hospital room right now, and the TV is on spongebob so I'm not sure what you think you are implying. Oh and I have seen a code run in a room adjacent to ours in previous trips, how many have you stood in the hall and observed?

While I'll give you that normally you hit the code pager, the point is there is NO way you successfully participate in a code if you can't hear what is being said.

I realize this is not fair, and I realize it probably hurts you to accept (assuming you are not a 13yr old girl) but it is what life has dealt you.

Blaming and attacking us because you can't hear won't get you ahead in the world. Understanding your limitations, and learning how to overcome them will.

Rather than continue on a multi-day argument that seems to be going nowhere, I encourage users to make use of the ignore function. It won't do much to pad your post count, but it may save your sanity.

Where I come from we call that cowardly.

If were not saying Deaf are mute then why quote a technical requirement, and ask how Deaf are capable of fulfilling that requirement, that states "A candidate should be able to speak" ??

I copied the full sentence from the Harvard requirement, which happens to begin with being able to speak. but obviously we are talking about hearing, which the Harvard statement mentioned right after speaking. It might have also started out by saying you need to do pushups and handstands, but obviously we're not concerned with those things.

it seems to me that a deaf person would not be able to participate in all of the same activities as a hearing person, and so they would not be able to get the equivalent education. since the med school would have to give the same education and apply the same evaluations to all students, I don't see how they could possibly accommodate a deaf candidate.

i'm not advocating discrimination. i'm just saying for the specific requirements of medical practice, I don't see how being deaf is compatible. I could be wrong.

One of us is sitting in a hospital room right now, and the TV is on spongebob so I'm not sure what you think you are implying. Oh and I have seen a code run in a room adjacent to ours in previous trips, how many have you stood in the hall and observed?

While I'll give you that normally you hit the code pager, the point is there is NO way you successfully participate in a code if you can't hear what is being said.

I realize this is not fair, and I realize it probably hurts you to accept (assuming you are not a 13yr old girl) but it is what life has dealt you.

Blaming and attacking us because you can't hear won't get you ahead in the world. Understanding your limitations, and learning how to overcome them will.

At the hospital I go to they have an alarm that flashes when a code is called. They also have codes on the boards. And they have a plasma screen that lists what is going on in which rooms. But I guess you did not think about modern day hospitals having all that in your prejudices against the Deaf.

At the hospital I go to they have an alarm that flashes when a code is called. They also have codes on the boards. And they have a plasma screen that lists what is going on in which rooms.

And in the room where the patient is dying, the physicians & nurses are TALKING out loud. Not signing, and not looking up, and not updating Twitter so you can follow along.

I could build a list of things that you can't do deaf that are part of medical school/practice but you don't want to hear it so I'm going to walk away.

As I said, life sucks...accept it Jasin and you will be a much happier person.

I copied the full sentence from the Harvard requirement, which happens to begin with being able to speak. but obviously we are talking about hearing, which the Harvard statement mentioned right after speaking. It might have also started out by saying you need to do pushups and handstands, but obviously we're not concerned with those things.

it seems to me that a deaf person would not be able to participate in all of the same activities as a hearing person, and so they would not be able to get the equivalent education. since the med school would have to give the same education and apply the same evaluations to all students, I don't see how they could possibly accommodate a deaf candidate.

i'm not advocating discrimination. i'm just saying for the specific requirements of medical practice, I don't see how being deaf is compatible. I could be wrong.

And you seem to forget, Harvard Medical has already graduated a Deaf student. :)

At the hospital I go to they have an alarm that flashes when a code is called. They also have codes on the boards. And they have a plasma screen that lists what is going on in which rooms. But I guess you did not think about modern day hospitals having all that in your prejudices against the Deaf.

how are you going to hear the patient's vitals being yelled out in the middle of a crisis? Are you going to read everybody's lips while at the same time performing a procedure on the patient?

by the way, here is the Harvard statement again, with the relevant part highlighted for your benefit:

II. Communication: A candidate should be able to speak, to hear, and to observe patients in order to elicit information, describe changes in mood, activity, and posture, and perceive nonverbal communications.

http://hms.harvard.edu/admissions/de...d#section%2010

Members don't see this ad :)
And in the room where the patient is dying, the physicians & nurses are TALKING out loud. Not signing, and not looking up.

I could build a list of things that you can't do deaf that are part of medical school/practice but you don't want to hear it so I'm going to walk away.

As I said, life sucks...accept it Jasin and you will be a much happier person.

You are talking hypotheticals NOT the real world.

You are talking hypotheticals NOT the real world.

People don't get coded & die?

I'm sitting in a large city children's facility and I heard the code blue alarm on average 1x/day. Not very hypothetical.

how are you going to hear the patient's vitals being yelled out in the middle of a crisis? Are you going to read everybody's lips while at the same time performing a procedure on the patient?

by the way, here is the Harvard statement again, with the relevant part highlighted for your benefit:

And as I already stated, if the Deaf were not capable of being doctors then Harvard medical would not have graduated a Deaf medical student.

I'm sitting in a large city children's facility and I heard the code blue alarm on average 1x/day. Not very hypothetical.

I never said that.

I never said that.

what do you know? they have an association too. so jasin, get in touch with them:

Association of Medical Professionals with Hearing Loss — www.amphl.org

what do you know? they have an association too. so jasin, get in touch with them:

Association of Medical Professionals with Hearing Loss — www.amphl.org

Why do I need to get in touch with them? You are all the ones who do not understand how deaf people can be doctors.

Last edited:
Times are changing people.

Why do I need to get in touch with them? You are all the ones who do not understand how deaf people can be doctors.

so they can support you in your endeavors.

No University and/or Medical school in the USA can prohibit a Deaf person from signing and/or using a Sign Language Interpreter. Doing so would be a violation of that person's rights under the Americans with Disabilities act, Rehabilitation act of 1973, and 1st amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

1996 quote found here: http://research.gallaudet.edu/Literacy/

For the 17-year-olds and the 18-year-olds in the deaf and hard of hearing student norming sample, the median Reading Comprehension subtest score corresponds to about a 4.0 grade level for hearing students.

Of interest, a new October '11 causation article here: Deaf Readers as Bilinguals: An Examination of Deaf Readers’ Print Comprehension in Light of Current Advances in Bilingualism and Second Language Processing

No University and/or Medical school in the USA can prohibit a Deaf person from signing and/or using a Sign Language Interpreter. Doing so would be a violation of that person's rights under the Americans with Disabilities act, Rehabilitation act of 1973, and 1st amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

The first amendment
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Does not have ANYTHING to do with you going to medical school. I assume you are referring to free speech, which the government can't make a law to prohibit. It doesn't give you the right to medical school.

You did not quote that.

gallaudet.jpg

By the way. I am not the Only the Deaf SDNer. There are many other Deaf on here.

The first amendment

Does not have ANYTHING to do with you going to medical school. I assume you are referring to free speech, which the government can't make a law to prohibit. It doesn't give you the right to medical school.

No medical school in the US can prohibit or ban signing by making speech a requirement. That would be a violation of a Deaf person's right to communicate using sign language; it would be a violation of that person's 1st amendment right to free speech.

Last edited:
The first amendment

No medical school in the US can prohibit or ban signing by making speech a requirement. That would be a violation of a Deaf person's right to communicate using sign language; it would be a violation of that person's 1st amendment right to free speech.

Last edited:
Save yourself the aggravation. It is such an all consuming profession. Not worth trying for it if you're coming from a 2.4. You are talking about many years of your life, even without the grade rehabilitation.

Still it'd be worth it to you to do your best from here on out.

Save yourself the aggravation. It is such an all consuming profession. Not worth trying for it if you're coming from a 2.4. You are talking about many years of your life, even without the grade rehabilitation.

Still it'd be worth it to you to do your best from here on out.

You are entitled to your opinion but I do not agree with you at all. I just seen a post on here from a person who has a 2.4ish gpa and just got accepted.

The first cochlear implant was developed by a hearing person. It's so sad that hearing people are discriminated against.

Wow jasin, wow...

Status
Not open for further replies.