My chances for residency

Started by DOMan79
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DOMan79

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I failed first year due to 1 class.

I did well for everything else

My mother died 3 days before my Step 1 and I failed it. I was prepared knowledge wise, but not mentally.

In the end its going to take me 6 years to finish a 4 year program. I am a DO student in the US.

Can anyone tell me what my chances of landing ANY residency are? Thank you

I'm not trying to blame outside factors, and I know it was ultimately my fault.
 
I am so sorry about your loss. I think any program would be sympathetic and understand why someone would fail Step 1 three days after losing your mother. I would include that in your personal statement if you haven't already. I don't think your chances are that bad if you apply very broadly to a lot of programs like peds, FM, psych. I'm confident you will find a position.
 
I failed first year due to 1 class.

I did well for everything else

My mother died 3 days before my Step 1 and I failed it. I was prepared knowledge wise, but not mentally.

In the end its going to take me 6 years to finish a 4 year program. I am a DO student in the US.

Can anyone tell me what my chances of landing ANY residency are? Thank you

I'm not trying to blame outside factors, and I know it was ultimately my fault.

That's awful.

I agree with the previous poster. I think you have a chance if you have great letters, write a good personal statement that clarifies your situation and apply very broadly in fields like FM, psych, and peds.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am so sorry about your loss. I think any program would be sympathetic and understand why someone would fail Step 1 three days after losing your mother. I would include that in your personal statement if you haven't already. I don't think your chances are that bad if you apply very broadly to a lot of programs like peds, FM, psych. I'm confident you will find a position.

That's awful.

I agree with the previous poster. I think you have a chance if you have great letters, write a good personal statement that clarifies your situation and apply very broadly in fields like FM, psych, and peds.

Thank you guys so much. Do I have a shot for anything else more competitive like EM or anesthesia? Just wondering

I would have postponed step 1, but I couldn't 5 days before and my school wouldn't let me either! It was a horrible time and I am glad it is behind me now
 
If you are looking for DO residencies, your chances are better than at ACGME residencies.

I have seen people get IM interviews with failed level 1 attempts and passing level 2 first try.