*^~*~^* The Official 2006-2007 "What Are My Chances/Where to Apply" Thread *^~*~^* part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MollyMalone

I'm a Score Quadruplet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Official 2006-2007 "What Are My Chances" (WAMC) thread!

This is the place for you to ask all of your questions about your chances of success in this application cycle.

Of course, the short and easy answer to your question is that no one really knows for sure. But I know you want more, and so the thread is here for you.

Here's how this is going to work. A link to this thread will appear in EvoDevo's "Pre-Allo Sticky Link Goodness" on the main pre-allo page, so that you can always find it. If you post your WAMC question in this thread, you get good karma for your app. :D If you choose to post it elsewhere, it will be merged into this thread. Sorry, but whatever situation you feel makes you too unique to post in the WAMC really isn't that special.

On the flip side, people who like answering WAMC questions now have them all in one convenient place. Hurrah! And for people who don't like WAMC questions... the only thing more annoying that 20 WAMC threads on the front page is 20 posts whining about how WAMC threads are annoying. So you can joyfully stop complaining, because you never have to read a WAMC post again!

And so there was peace, hope, and understanding brought to SDN... at least in my pipe dream. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi 2007 applicants!

I just put my MD Apps up...and am waiting for the "missing link" in my application...my MCAT score.

I'm still volunteering at the Hospital I've been at for the past two years and recently started in a research lab at a University (3 days a week).

I'm doing the Chicago Avon Walk for Breast Cancer and am really excited.

At 24, I don't think I'm a completely non-trad applicant, but I am definitely not an undergrad. I'll be 25 this December.

The first thing I am not sure about is whether to include on my AMCAS:
Work history for the past 3 years: QC Chemist at a large company, waitress, property manager, contract closer. Maybe I can put it all in one heading?

EDIT: I was a chemist for a few months, waited tables while I was a property manager, and now have been at this same job for just over a year.

I'm also thinking I'll list all of my academic stuff (Golden Key, National society of Collegiate scholars, Dean's Honors, High Honors @ Grad, special scholarship) in one heading, since it all sort of goes together. We'll see how it looks when I print it.

Also, what to do with the weird stuff about me, like that I was a contestant on a game show....maybe I can slip that in a secondary? LOL. I don't know.

Thanks in Advance.

jackieMD2007 said:
Work history for the past 3 years: QC Chemist at a large company, waitress, property manager, contract closer. Maybe I can put it all in one heading?

Wow... lots of jobs for just 3 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
My MDApp profile is in my sig.

Please, oh dear lord, please let me get into one med school. I don't care which one... just ONE!!

(Yes, this is a shameful display of attention seeking. I just need the reassurement that SOME med school will take me. :scared: )

EDIT: Please note that I posted this before my MCAT scores came in, no flames please. :D

here's my question

gpa: 3.74, mcat: 29Q (unbalanced) waitlisted at schools such as evms, drexel, uconn, penn state

Should I bother applying to yale (i work in a lab here). i would love to go here, but i don't want to waste the money on it if i can't even get into those other schools

Oh, Oh, my turn, my turn!

My profile

What are my chances of getting into a)anything, b)a top tier school such as Stanford c)a Texas school

I know this is the worst kind of attention whoring but where would I go to do this if not on SDN?

Thanks!

Anastasis said:

Please, oh dear lord, please let me get into one med school. I don't care which one... just ONE!!

(Yes, this is a shameful display of attention seeking. I just need the reassurement that SOME med school will take me. :scared: )

I would tell you your chances, but everything hinges on your MCAT. Sorry to scare you, but you probably already know this.

Pkboi24 said:
I would tell you your chances, but everything hinges on your MCAT. Sorry to scare you, but you probably already know this.
Yeah I know that, :scared: , the average of my practice scores was 34, but we all know what a crap shoot the MCAT can be.

I would say you have a great chance at the Texas schools. Where were you thinking? UTSW or Baylor?

Apply to those dream schools, if you don't, you'll always wonder what could have been.

Pkboi24 said:
Oh, Oh, my turn, my turn!

My profile

What are my chances of getting into a)anything, b)a top tier school such as Stanford c)a Texas school

I know this is the worst kind of attention whoring but where would I go to do this if not on SDN?

Thanks!
PKBoi you shouldn't even be in this thread since your numbers are slam-dunk for TMDSAS :)

potato51 said:
PKBoi you shouldn't even be in this thread since your numbers are slam-dunk for TMDSAS :)

Oh Potato51 *bats eyes*, you always say just what a girl wants to hear... ;)

please lord, dont make me go to a ****ty school

MollyMalone said:
Cutting down the clutter
Your reign thus far has been wise and just. :thumbup:

MollyMalone said:
And so there was peace, hope, and understanding brought to SDN... at least in my pipe dream. :D
For all our sakes, I hope so too.

the negative 1 said:
Your reign thus far has been wise and just. :thumbup:

For all our sakes, I hope so too.

Is MollyMalone a mod?

Members don't see this ad :)
jackieMD2007 said:
I'm also thinking I'll list all of my academic stuff (Golden Key, National society of Collegiate scholars, Dean's Honors, High Honors @ Grad, special scholarship) in one heading, since it all sort of goes together. We'll see how it looks when I print it.

i always thought golden key was one of those scam honors. Don't you have to pay to enter? hmm I'm probably wrong though.

jackieMD2007 said:

Include it because it relates to who you are as an applicant and to what you have been doing. Work experience is especially relevant to us "non-trads." :p

I'm new here; just found this today. Here's the deal: I'm 24, M.S. degree in Bio, worked out of college for about a year, want to apply for 2007 round. My GPA is above a 3.7. I have clinical research experience for about 6 months. Other research exp for 1 year. I teach college now. I have not taken the MCAT. So here's my questions,
1. Is it reasonable to study all through July to take the MCAT in Aug?
2. Will I make deadlines for the applications to med school if I do take the MCAT in Aug?
3.How the heck am I going to find a doctor to shadow around?
4. Am I a good candidate for med school? 5.How many schools is the norm to apply to?

I found this forum and my self-esteem has gone down the drain. Please help.

Anastasis said:

Anastasis, you have plenty of clinical experience! As long as it gave you insight and was important to you, it's just right.

Okay, here I go:
3.7-3.8 GPA, 3.54 SGPA :(
Practice MCATS averaged 28 ($%^* PS!), could be 27-32
ICU nurse x3 yrs, i do almost everything there
Free clinic ~1 yr (love it!)
~4 mos very part time (4hrs/wk) chart-based research, lots of hospital-based quality improvement projects (do they count?)
lots of stuff in college--feels like forever ago, but i guess only 3 yrs!

would someone please explain in a link or otherwise how to put your MD applicants link on your signature? i am totally computer inept.

How about

3.9 GPA
~36-39 MCAT
3+ years research experience and Goldwater
6 weeks clinical experience

...for MSTP? (concerned about the lack of clinical)

Teerawit said:
How about

3.9 GPA
~36-39 MCAT
3+ years research experience and Goldwater
6 weeks clinical experience

...for MSTP? (concerned about the lack of clinical)

:laugh: :laugh: Several top 20 schools, easily. Have reasonable safeties!!! Goldwater :eek: (prestigious).

wazi-woman said:
I'm new here; just found this today. Here's the deal: I'm 24, M.S. degree in Bio, worked out of college for about a year, want to apply for 2007 round. My GPA is above a 3.7. I have clinical research experience for about 6 months. Other research exp for 1 year. I teach college now. I have not taken the MCAT. So here's my questions,
2. Will I make deadlines for the applications to med school if I do take the MCAT in Aug?
4. Am I a good candidate for med school? 5.How many schools is the norm to apply to?

1. Yeah, the MCAT is very important. You should set that as your priority. Get a little clinical experience on the side.
2. You'll make the deadlines, but you'll be late in the game. It'll hurt a little.
3. Ask your own doctor if he has suggestions.
4. Yes, of course.
5. 15-20.

Anastasis said:

I saw your MDapps profile and it looks like you're only applying to 13 schools. You haven't gotten your mcat score back yet but your GPA is below average for matriculants nationally and also at many of your selected schools.

For example:
here are the average matriculant GPAs for your chosen schools:
School-Overall GPA-BCPM GPA
Baylor-3.85-3.84
GWU-3.62-3.55
GT-3.69-3.65
Indiana-3.75-3.7 (Not friendly to OOSers!)
Loma Linda-3.76-3.73
Texas A&M- 3.83-3.79
Texas Tech-3.57-3.51
U of Alabama-3.77-3.72 (not friendly to OOSers!)
Texas Galveston-3.78-3.73
Texas Houston-3.69-3.58
Texas San Antonio-3.54-3.46
Texas Southwester-3.82-3.82

So I guess what I am saying is, I think you need more back up schools with lower average GPAs. Also you may want to drop UAB and Indiana because they are very unlikely to accept an out of state applicant. For example UAB's class last year had 160 people and only 16 were out of state. Similarly Indiana's class size was 280 and only 37 were out of state.

It seems like you want to stay in Texas which is fine, but it would be worth your time to think about other states you wouldn't mind living and researching schools in those states with lower GPAs. Also it looks like you have a good bit of ECs and with a solid MCAT you could be pretty competitive plus you mention a 4.0 in your post bacc and a good upward trend so that is promising. I guess all I the advice I can offer is to think about adding some more reach schools and possibly dropping UAB/Indiana unless you have strong connections to either state or just love either school.

Hope that was helpful :)

Oh also, I want to add, thank you Molly Malone! You are going to be a great mod I can tell already! This is a good move I think to make a stickied thread just for "what are my chances" threads and everyone will be better off for it. I personally enjoy reading these from time to time and passing down the advice I have gotten from SDN vets!

Thanks!

Slide said:
Finally, after 6 months on this forum, I finally get one of these:
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=5471

I guess what goes around comes around, and I'll get my coat on to prepare for the barrage.

I'm sure you'll do fine on the MCAT. Good choice of schools (get some more like you said). You covered the clinical experience requirement sufficiently, so don't worry too much. You'll have no problem!

wazi-woman said:

1. Yeah I think so, you should look into taking a Kaplan or Princeton Review course for the MCAT since you are somewhat removed from the classes the MCAT concentrates on. These classes usually cost around 1500 dollars however, so look into it, but it certainly isn't required if you are a good at studying alone and setting goals for yourself.

2. Yes you can make the deadlines, you will need to fill out an AMCAS application which you can read about at http://www.aamc.org/audienceamcas.htm

3. You can find doctors to shadow in a number of ways. First you could ask your own doctor of his suggestions. Second, call local hospitals and ask their advice, many have shadowing/volunteering programs set up for people like us! Finally, this is crucial, you need clinical experience so you know that you actually want to do this. Don't go into your clinical experience as another requirement for medical school. Do it so you can honestly ask yourself if this is what you want to do for the rest of your life. Ask doctors their thoughts on their lifestyles etc. It is more than "just a job".

4. Yeah you seem like you'll do alright. You need to get clinical experience, and you will know more about how good your application is once you finish the MCAT, or maybe once you start taking MCAT practice tests and find out what your score range might be.

5. Most people (by most people I mean SDNers) apply to 10 or more schools. You want to get a broad range of schools, a few reach schools (that is the Harvards of the medical school world). Also a few middle schools, maybe your state school, or a few top 40-30 schools. Finally, you'll want to add several back up schools, schools that have lower matriculant GPA's than your own and have higher acceptance rates etc. Basically all of the information you'll need for knowing which schools to apply to can be found in this year's MSAR. The MSAR (Medical School Admission Requirements) is a book published by the AAMC which has all the latest statistics from medical schools about everything you can imagine, average gpa, mcat, sex ratio of matriculants, in-state vs out of state acceptance etc. To purchase one , or to learn more about it go here :

https://services.aamc.org/Publicati...ion=Product.displayForm&prd_id=149&prv_id=175

Hope this helps :)

DoctorPardi said:
I saw your MDapps profile and it looks like you're only applying to 13 schools. You haven't gotten your mcat score back yet but your GPA is below average for matriculants nationally and also at many of your selected schools.

For example:
here are the average matriculant GPAs for your chosen schools:
School-Overall GPA-BCPM GPA
Baylor-3.85-3.84
GWU-3.62-3.55
GT-3.69-3.65
Indiana-3.75-3.7 (Not friendly to OOSers!)
Loma Linda-3.76-3.73
Texas A&M- 3.83-3.79
Texas Tech-3.57-3.51
U of Alabama-3.77-3.72 (not friendly to OOSers!)
Texas Galveston-3.78-3.73
Texas Houston-3.69-3.58
Texas San Antonio-3.54-3.46
Texas Southwester-3.82-3.82

So I guess what I am saying is, I think you need more back up schools with lower average GPAs. Also you may want to drop UAB and Indiana because they are very unlikely to accept an out of state applicant. For example UAB's class last year had 160 people and only 16 were out of state. Similarly Indiana's class size was 280 and only 37 were out of state.

It seems like you want to stay in Texas which is fine, but it would be worth your time to think about other states you wouldn't mind living and researching schools in those states with lower GPAs. Also it looks like you have a good bit of ECs and with a solid MCAT you could be pretty competitive plus you mention a 4.0 in your post bacc and a good upward trend so that is promising. I guess all I the advice I can offer is to think about adding some more reach schools and possibly dropping UAB/Indiana unless you have strong connections to either state or just love either school.

Hope that was helpful :)
I totally agree with what you said about UAB and Indiana - I have significant ties to Indiana (dad graduated med school there, both my sisters live in Indy) and UAB (though less so than Indiana, my mom went there for ugrad, that whole side of the family lives in Birmingham).

Also after this semester my science GPA will be a 3.5 which puts me in a much better situation (yay!) - it moves that much because I didn't take many sciences classes until post-bacc. My overall will only moves slightly - up to about a 3.6 I think.

I really want to apply to more safety schools but I find myself procrastinating because the list really includes everywhere I want to go. Yeah I know, I should branch out huh? :(

PS - I should add everything I just typed in to my MDapp profile huh? Does any of this change your advice?

PPS - LabMonster: Thanks for the encouragement on my profile! :love:

Anastasis said:
I totally agree with what you said about UAB and Indiana - I have significant ties to Indiana (dad graduated med school there, both my sisters live in Indy) and UAB (though less so than Indiana, my mom went there for ugrad, that whole side of the family lives in Birmingham).

Ok well that's cool, I just wanted to point that about UAB and Indiana just to make sure :) .

Anastasis said:
Also after this semester my science GPA will be a 3.5 which puts me in a much better situation (yay!) - it moves that much because I didn't take many sciences classes until post-bacc. My overall will only moves slightly - up to about a 3.6 I think.

Ok well several of the schools you have listed will have lower matriculant gpas than you. So that is good :) Still you will be near the average at the lower schools and below average at the others. So I still say apply to a few more back up schools. Also I don't mean to sound as if I am saying "oh you're a terrible applicant you better apply EVERYWHERE!!", but I can only tell you what I would do if I were in your shoes. Also I think it is good advice for anyone to look at their MCAT/GPA and add several schools that accept people below their own MCAT/GPA.

Anastasis said:
I really want to apply to more safety schools but I find myself procrastinating because the list really includes everywhere I want to go. Yeah I know, I should branch out huh? :(

If you can't see yourself going to any other schools than there is nothing left to do! Be excited about the schools you've picked, prepare for your interviews and have a positive attitude about the process and you'll most likely get in somewhere. I know I don't want to go to school on the west coast or north west, because I am just not comfortable moving that far away from my home town. So that isn't an option for me, so I know there are probably places you wont go as well.

So if you don't have a encyclopedic knowledge of all medical schools (who does?) think about states you would be interested in living in. Then look up all of the schools in said state that are not public or OOS haters and maybe add a few more schools just to be safe. Again this is all up to you and your comfort level in moving to Tennessee or Virginia, it isn't worth your time/money to apply to a place you know you will not go.

Anastasis said:
PS - I should add everything I just typed in to my MDapp profile huh? Does any of this change your advice?

It couldn't hurt to add that information to your mdapps profile, however I was just being overly snoopy in investigating the individual schools you're going too :). As far as my advice (for what it's worth) see above.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine :laugh:

So heres my situation,
3.54 GPA
3.64 Science GPA
I didnt do so hot freshmen year, overall for the year was 3.0. But then worked my butt off pulled off 3.72 sophmore year and this year got 3.87. I hope the upward trend carries alot of weight because my overall is not spectactular. As far as EC's go, I shadowed a cardiologist for a summer, 5 days a week for 3 months. Have done some research and will continue it through this summer, am the vice president of an organization at my univeristy, tutoring, and other volunteering stuff. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

DrCurious said:
So heres my situation,
3.54 GPA
3.64 Science GPA
I didnt do so hot freshmen year, overall for the year was 3.0. But then worked my butt off pulled off 3.72 sophmore year and this year got 3.87. I hope the upward trend carries alot of weight because my overall is not spectactular. As far as EC's go, I shadowed a cardiologist for a summer, 5 days a week for 3 months. Have done some research and will continue it through this summer, am the vice president of an organization at my univeristy, tutoring, and other volunteering stuff. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

I think upward trends usually are viewed very well. If you can continue to do well and attempt to make all A's you will be fine. My first semester I had a 2.75 and I brought it up to a 3.72. Just stay dedicated and don't forget about why you are working so hard. Try to get some more ECs, either shadow a few different doctors or find one you like and stick with him. Also it wouldn't hurt to get a job in the medical field, as a nurse's assistant or a lab position in a hospital. Also you should look into doing some research and volunteering as well.

my mdapps is in my sig...check me out brothas and sistas

p.s. amazon sucks at delivering msars...i need one so bad

rajad10 said:

This is what you do first go to this link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/call-me.html/104-6020411-5873544

Have Amazon call you and you explain your problem to them about your MSAR. I talked to them about three days ago and they said they aren't going to get another shipment in for weeks. So talk to them and tell them how terribly traumatic it is that you haven't gotten your book and they will give you a 5 dollar gift certificate and cancel your order. Then go to:
https://services.aamc.org/Publicati...ion=Product.displayForm&prd_id=149&prv_id=175

and order you a brand new MSAR from the AAMC and you'll get it in no time. I ordered mine on saturday night and it got here today (that is tuesday).

thanks pardi, i needed the lowdown on that

rajad10 said:
thanks pardi, i needed the lowdown on that

No problem. I looked at your mdapps profile and I personally have no suggestions, but I didn't take a hard look at your schools either. Get your MSAR and go to work!

I have a really big dilemma about my chances.

Here is the story:

I just finished my sophmore year of college, (I am 18 right now, but when in a couple of month I would turn 19), I have a 3.8 GPA and I have research (Summer Research Project) and clinical experience,(Hospital and Free Clinic) I am involved on campus (multible activities and in a soroity), a double major of Biochem and Psych. I plan on graduating in three years. Just took my MCATs I think I could reach for around a 36. What are my chances at Med schools like Columbia and Uchicago and Northwestern. Am I a competitive Candidate?

Please help with this. Any comment is welcomed and appreciated.

simonsays_001 said:

Here is the story:

I just finished my sophmore year of college, (I am 18 right now, but when in a couple of month I would turn 19), I have a 3.8 GPA and I have research (Summer Research Project) and clinical experience,(Hospital and Free Clinic) I am involved on campus (multible activities and in a soroity), a double major of Biochem and Psych. I plan on graduating in three years. Just took my MCATs I think I could reach for around a 36. What are my chances at Med schools like Columbia and Uchicago and Northwestern. Am I a competitive Candidate?

What is so urgent if you are only a sophomore? You still have to finish your junior year b4 you should even start thinking about this stuff. I always hear people say it is never too early to get started on something. Well, I say that that depends on the situation. You worrying about your chances at med schools now is pointless and, in many ways, can be detrimental (in the sense that you will worry more so than necessary).

How about you finish your junior year and then present your question as urgent.

simonsays_001 said:

Here is the story:

I am in the same boat you are, except I won't have a bachelor's degree. I hope my great GPA (3.95+) and I hope to rock the MCAT this August (37+) and pray at least one school will give me a chance :)

Honestly though, how can you say someone with 3.95 and 37 is less qualified than someone with 3.7 and 30, because they stayed around for another year and got their bachelor's degree.... I'm hoping at least one school will agree with me. Oh yes I forgot, I don't have the "life experiences" I would have if I went to school for another 12 months lol. Give me a break.

MDGuy07 said:
I am in the same boat you are, except I won't have a bachelor's degree. I hope my great GPA (3.95+) and I hope to rock the MCAT this August (37+) and pray at least one school will give me a chance :)

Honestly though, how can you say someone with 3.95 and 37 is less qualified than someone with 3.7 and 30, because they stayed around for another year and got their bachelor's degree.... I'm hoping at least one school will agree with me. Oh yes I forgot, I don't have the "life experiences" I would have if I went to school for another 12 months lol. Give me a break.

I, for one, think that the fourth (or fifth?) year in college makes a world of difference. Getting out in three years makes you look like you were just in college to get to med school, which, if true, is silly. What difference does one year make, when you have the rest of your life to be a doctor?

ok, my turn!

you can check on my mdapps page, but i'll sum it up:

3.77 gpa
hoping 30-32 mcat (took in april)
2 yrs research experience (separate labs), 1 pub accepted, 1 pub submitted
will have 2 years clinical research experience at time of matriculation, possibly additional publication (currently 10 months)

applying md/phd/mstp.

rajad10 said:

really?? i got my MSAR from amazon right away when i ordered it! i have the 2006-2007 version...should i get the newer one? do you really think that much has changed?

I tend to agree. You grow so much during college (including that last year) and it really is a once in a lifetime experience. That being said, not rushing through college isn't for everyone, so if you decide you're still set on graduating in three years, you can see what happens with medical school applications and then just have a backup plan. Why not apply for fellowships now as well or start looking into jobs or research groups you might want to join as a just in case?

Alternately, what about staying at college and pursuing a combined masters degree, another major, or just random classes outside of your majors but still interesting to you? I could have completed my two majors in three years as well, but instead I decided to apply for an accelerated combined masters program (called submatriculation at my school) and get a masters in that fourth year while taking a couple of electives (along with having lots of awesome experiences I wouldn't have traded for one less year of schooling!) Even though it was a lot of work, I can definitely say that senior year was the best year in college for me, personally, socially, etcetera.

Anastasis said:
DoctorPardi - you are awesome! You just made my favorite SDN peeps list!! Thanks so much for the help! :love:

:) Everyone on SDN is so nice and helpful I just hope I can offer some info someone else doesn't have. Plus I think it is so great because most of us are trying to be doctors who plan on basing our lives around helping people in need. So here we all are trying to get into medical school helping each other learn what we need to do to get there.

scentimint said:
ok, my turn!

you can check on my mdapps page, but i'll sum it up:

3.77 gpa
hoping 30-32 mcat (took in april)
2 yrs research experience (separate labs), 1 pub accepted, 1 pub submitted
will have 2 years clinical research experience at time of matriculation, possibly additional publication (currently 10 months)

applying md/phd/mstp.

I don't know anything about md/phd :( sorry. Hopefully someone will check your post and can help you out. If nothing else, I bumped the thread for ya :) .

science gpa : 3.75
overall gpa : 3.70
MCAT 33-35

2 years of biology related research experience
some volunteerings
some intramural activities

do I have a chance for top 20 med school?

PS:Does med school look which undergrad school I graduated from?

New to SDN. Here goes.

3.67GPA 3.63BCPM Biochem major
13VR 11PS 13BS 37O

Much molecular/cell/biochem research experience (1.5 years and one 2nd-author pub pending in undergrad lab, will be 2 years in current lab by the time I matriculate)
3 months volunteering as education assistant for HIV/AIDS support group
6 months volunteering in UW associated hospital 24hr clinic (ongoing)
Significant involvement and leadership positions in 2 undergrad clubs (mental health awareness and environmental activism)
Worked through high school and college

I am planning to apply only to UWashington and OHSU.

I am a WA resident (lifetime, except for doing under grad in Boston)
I want to stay in the Pacific NW to be near my family and because I plan on living here (and don't want to up root again as I have been working in Seattle since graduation). I grew up in a very rural community and am strongly interested in rural family practice. UW is not only my state school but also one of the best family practice schools and OHSU also places an emphasis on rural/family medicine.

WAMC? Is it insane to do it like this? Anyone have experience with these schools specifically? WA residents in a similar situation? There are so few non-UC schools on the west coast.

I wanna play, too!
WAMC??? See link below. Only brutal honesty, please.

duderino said:
New to SDN. Here goes.

3.67GPA 3.63BCPM Biochem major
13VR 11PS 13BS 37O

Much molecular/cell/biochem research experience (1.5 years and one 2nd-author pub pending in undergrad lab, will be 2 years in current lab by the time I matriculate)
3 months volunteering as education assistant for HIV/AIDS support group
6 months volunteering in UW associated hospital 24hr clinic (ongoing)
Significant involvement and leadership positions in 2 undergrad clubs (mental health awareness and environmental activism)
Worked through high school and college

I am planning to apply only to UWashington and OHSU.

I am a WA resident (lifetime, except for doing under grad in Boston)
I want to stay in the Pacific NW to be near my family and because I plan on living here (and don't want to up root again as I have been working in Seattle since graduation). I grew up in a very rural community and am strongly interested in rural family practice. UW is not only my state school but also one of the best family practice schools and OHSU also places an emphasis on rural/family medicine.

WAMC? Is it insane to do it like this? Anyone have experience with these schools specifically? WA residents in a similar situation? There are so few non-UC schools on the west coast.

You're such a strong applicant (super nice research and mcat), but only applying to two schools is too risky. Throw in at least 5 more (w/ safeties)...

Hi everybody,

I need some help with the list of schools that I am planning on applying to. Here are my stats,

GPA:3.6
SGPA:3.4-3.5
Projected MCAT 11/10/12 P/Q
Double Major in social and biological sciences
WA resident from U of Washington

Reach:
UW
NYU or Columbia
OHSU
USC
U of Chicago
U penn

Hopefully:
George Washington
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
U of Illinois
Tulane
Boston U
Tufts
Michigan State
Albany
Albert Einstein
NYMC
U of Rochester
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
Medical college of Wisconsin

please help out with some safety schools and schools friendly to out of staters... I hope to stay on the coasts or midwest...

infinite.inkwel said:
Hi everybody,

I need some help with the list of schools that I am planning on applying to. Here are my stats,

GPA:3.6
SGPA:3.4-3.5
Projected MCAT 11/10/12 P/Q
Double Major in social and biological sciences
WA resident from U of Washington

Reach:
UW
NYU or Columbia
OHSU
USC
U of Chicago
U penn

Hopefully:
George Washington
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
U of Illinois
Tulane
Boston U
Tufts
Michigan State
Albany
Albert Einstein
NYMC
U of Rochester
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
Medical college of Wisconsin

please help out with some safety schools and schools friendly to out of staters... I hope to stay on the coasts or midwest...

Since these are essentially "what are my chances" type threads, I'm going to start merging them into the main WAMC thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.