*^~*~^* The Official 2006-2007 "What Are My Chances/Where to Apply" Thread *^~*~^* part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, seeing as this is a "What Are My Chances" Thread, any comments regarding my Mdapplicants profile would be appreciated!!! I am not an extremely strong applicant, so any criticism would be helpful. My GPA has a pretty strong trend though, my freshman year I averaged a 3.45, sophomore a 3.69, and junior year a 3.96...please take a look at what I will be applying with!!!!

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=5532

Members don't see this ad.

broadwyrm918 said:
Ok, seeing as this is a "What Are My Chances" Thread, any comments regarding my Mdapplicants profile would be appreciated!!! I am not an extremely strong applicant, so any criticism would be helpful. My GPA has a pretty strong trend though, my freshman year I averaged a 3.45, sophomore a 3.69, and junior year a 3.96...please take a look at what I will be applying with!!!!

Good chances at CCOM. If your April MCATs give bring you up to 30+ then you have a good chance at most of the schools.

broadwyrm918 said:

I think you have awesome chances....it looks like you have a lot more clincial/research experience than most others. I have a 3.9 GPA and a 29O MCAT and have much less experience than you and have been waitlisted at several schools including Penn State, WVU, and Temple. I also waited until Sept/Oct to apply. I wish you luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey. to whoever responds to this thread, thank you SOO much.
my GPA is a 3.77 (3.6 BCPM) and I took the April MCAT with diag scores ranging from 28-31.

The main problem is my GPA breakdown. as a freshman my GPA was 3.95. as a sophomore it took a major dip -- 3.38. However, as a junior I maintained a 4.0.

so far the schools i'm looking at are.
The University of Oklahoma
Baylor
Albany Medical College
Northwestern
Columbia
NYU
Virgina Commonwealth
Loma Linda
Loyola
and the TMDSAS schools.

please be brutally honest in your assement of me.
I also have bench research experience including an in-lab publication.

thanks again.

sorry, accidentally posted twice.

aerodivya said:
hey. to whoever responds to this thread, thank you SOO much.
my GPA is a 3.77 (3.6 BCPM) and I took the April MCAT with diag scores ranging from 28-31.

The main problem is my GPA breakdown. as a freshman my GPA was 3.95. as a sophomore it took a major dip -- 3.38. However, as a junior I maintained a 4.0.

so far the schools i'm looking at are.
The University of Oklahoma
Baylor
Albany Medical College
Northwestern
Columbia
NYU
Virgina Commonwealth
Loma Linda
Loyola
and the TMDSAS schools.

please be brutally honest in your assement of me.
I also have bench research experience including an in-lab publication.

thanks again.

mmm are you limited in funds? because i would apply to more schools, although you do have a good range. if columbia and nyu, why not cornell or AECOM?

no clinical experiences?

haha, 3.38 might seem like a major dip to you, but it's actually alright, imo. especially if you ended on a 3.7 overall.

If you can hit a 30+ on the MCAT, i think you'll do fine if you have some clinical exposure. a good PS and great interview and you'll be golden.

wow, this thread has popped back up

my GPA is around 3.8, BPCM is a lil higher than that (my trends of grades are very consistent, nothing below 3.5 but no 4.0s either)

im gonna take the MCATs in August.

i have around 50 hours of hospital experience (currently volunteering 6 hrs a week so it'll get up there by interviwe time); 1 year of research as an itnern; worked in labs throughout my undergrad; and 1-2 non-medically related ECs

i'll be applying to all the UCs since im a cali resident, colorado, couple of NY schools (15 schools total in all)

what do u think my chances at these schools i mentioned so far?

Zanoman said:
hey what about me? I know my GPA is low, I'm planing on applying to MD & DO schools in the midwest.

Great clinical experience, GPA is not that bad... if you get a 30+ on the MCAT you have a really good chance for MD schools if you apply broadly... Although you might want to retake your pre-req's at a real university ;)

i usu feel decent about myself until i come to the SDN forums! :rolleyes:
my opinions abt the schools i'm applying to are in my mdapps profile. i'll be working as an ra next year in the lab i'm currently in, as i apply to med schools. also, my gpa has an upward trend, if that makes any difference.

I know my GPA isn't that high and I'm working on trying to get more clinical exp. in. What are my chances at UWMC? Also looking at applying to some middle tiers in LA, NYC, Chicago and Boston.

Best of luck to everyone else!

kevster2001 said:
I know my GPA isn't that high and I'm working on trying to get more clinical exp. in. What are my chances at UWMC? Also looking at applying to some middle tiers in LA, NYC, Chicago and Boston.

Best of luck to everyone else!

You have a 37 MCAT, ~3.7 from a top 5 university, and ALL the ECs in the bag! You're doing a heck of a job. Just interview well and U-Dub will be in the bag. :) Do MOCK INTERVIEWS and don't interview at UW first!

just finished freshman year .. with a devastating 3.3 ...

way too early to tell?? or am i doomed already?!?! i need to get my act together!! hopefully freshman courses were just trying to weed people out !!

hospital volunteering right now ... research on the side ... piano .. planning on going to ecuador sometime before applying ...

any tips on boosting GPA?? i'm in sciences so is it wise to forget about my major and take my science prereq's one a term or ...? and is it better to take those non-prereq science courses anyway to help with MCAT (eg. inorganic chem courses)

Members don't see this ad :)
arcticmonkeys said:

way too early to tell?? or am i doomed already?!?! i need to get my act together!! hopefully freshman courses were just trying to weed people out !!

hospital volunteering right now ... research on the side ... piano .. planning on going to ecuador sometime before applying ...

any tips on boosting GPA?? i'm in sciences so is it wise to forget about my major and take my science prereq's one a term or ...? and is it better to take those non-prereq science courses anyway to help with MCAT (eg. inorganic chem courses)

i had around a 3.3 at the end of my freshman yr too. the nice thing abt freshman yr is that you have a lot of courses left to take, and your gpa will drastically change if you do a lot better or a lot worse.

my main advice to you: chillax, please. if you're really concerned w/ bringing up your gpa, stop going crazy over EC's. you don't want to spread yourself too thin if you're going to do better in classes. it doesn't get any easier. ever. you have to adapt, and that's what college is for. you've got another semester or two to figure out how to do that, and you can still get a pretty competitive gpa. i think that if you have to make not-so-stellar grades, frosh yr is the time to do it. that way, you can only improve from there (provided you work hard and devote enough time to studying).
concentrate on 1 or 2 EC's at the time, and then you can add more if your grades start improving. it's better to do really well in a few things than mediocrely (if that's a word) in a lot.

and be sure to have some fun too! college is the best, and you'll miss it when it's over.

Hey guys, I'm trying to narrow down my list of schools that I will be applying to. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

My numbers are:
MCAT - 33P - 10VR, 12PS, 11BS
GPA - 3.93, BCPM - 3.8*
EC - decent

Take a look at my MDapp profile if you'd like.

Good Chance
UT San Antonio
UT Houston
UT Galveston
Texas Tech
A&M

Some Chance
Loma Linda or Tufts (Does Loma Linda favor 7th Day Adventists?)
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Drexel
NYMC

Little to No Chance
Baylor
Southwestern
Boston
Columbia
Northwestern

Help me decide where to apply! Some safety schools perhaps? If such things exist.

Thank you!

arcticmonkeys said:

You're not doomed at all, but you need to figure out how to get more A's. Do you not really enjoy your major? There's still time to switch. Maybe get tutoring early on for classes you aren't doing so great in. Also, see if you can network to get ahold of old tests from your professor. Those make a huge difference. I came out of my biochem final and found out the entire thing was EXACTLY the same as an old test some people had access to. :mad: Even though THAT doesn't usually happen, getting used to a certain prof's questions, in addition to reading the textbook, can definitely mean the difference between a B and an A.

HelenaP said:
You're not doomed at all, but you need to figure out how to get more A's. Do you not really enjoy your major? There's still time to switch. Maybe get tutoring early on for classes you aren't doing so great in. Also, see if you can network to get ahold of old tests from your professor. Those make a huge difference. I came out of my biochem final and found out the entire thing was EXACTLY the same as an old test some people had access to. :mad: Even though THAT doesn't usually happen, getting used to a certain prof's questions, in addition to reading the textbook, can definitely mean the difference between a B and an A.

yo, you're not from penn and in voet's biochem class, are you?

oh, nvm. you're from FL and i can't figure out how to delete this post. sorry everybody!

:laugh: You have a GREAT chance at EVERY school you listed (maybe except Columbia). UT-SW is very realistic. Apply to all 7 Texas schools including Baylor. Remove Loma Linda. Keep the other 5 school you have under "some chance". Keep all your "little to no chance :laugh: " school - you'll get into one of those.

You have 15 schools. Add 5-7 more OOS dream schools, because you have great in-states in the bag. I suggest Vandy, Duke (if you don't mind being tortured by their secondary), WUStL, Michigan, Case, Harvard (you have a shot!), and Yale (no grades!!!). You have a 33, 3.9 w/ fine ECs. Have some confidence. :thumbup:

HelenaP said:

i haven't declared a major yet (we do that after first year, and depending on our 2nd year grades, we get into a certain course that defines us as part of a specific 'program' or specialization by 3rd year)... but right now i'm in the faculty of sciences.. and it's all basic first year science courses that everyone takes so i don't necessarily enjoy it but i dont' hate it either ... plus i'm not good at writing so i'm not an arts person ... i've thought of geography but i've never taken a course and i didn't want to risk my gpa taking something i've never tried before (i know, wrong mentality, but university is tough enough as it is!)...

yeah i've thought about tutoring but my thought is that i have to first study myself and keep up with the work before i can get a tutor to ask questions , ya know? or else it's pretty pointless.. and yup old exams are very commonly used by most students, but they usually change it around quite a bit since they assume we'll be studying off the old exams anyway ...

anyway thanks for the tips guys!

I feel like my MCAT score (to be released in June 2006) is the deciding factor for me. :rolleyes:

my profile is below; comments are welcome!

Duchess742 said:
i had around a 3.3 at the end of my freshman yr too. the nice thing abt freshman yr is that you have a lot of courses left to take, and your gpa will drastically change if you do a lot better or a lot worse.

my main advice to you: chillax, please. if you're really concerned w/ bringing up your gpa, stop going crazy over EC's. you don't want to spread yourself too thin if you're going to do better in classes. it doesn't get any easier. ever. you have to adapt, and that's what college is for. you've got another semester or two to figure out how to do that, and you can still get a pretty competitive gpa. i think that if you have to make not-so-stellar grades, frosh yr is the time to do it. that way, you can only improve from there (provided you work hard and devote enough time to studying).
concentrate on 1 or 2 EC's at the time, and then you can add more if your grades start improving. it's better to do really well in a few things than mediocrely (if that's a word) in a lot.

and be sure to have some fun too! college is the best, and you'll miss it when it's over.

i don't know maybe i'm just not studying the "right" way .. i'm getting B+ in all of my courses so it's not like i'm dying in a certain course or doing spectacular in another ... so yup i'm just thinking of keeping up with my ECs that i'm doing right now .. not more not less ... and get my GPA up there first since ECs i could always improve later ... and no i'm not really going crazy over ECs compared to others!! i haven't even been active in school clubs which isn't that great ...

but anyway, i think my gpa is more to do with me not keeping up with work because i get tired after classes and end up slacking off on weekdays .. which probably kills me in the long run ...hopefully it'll be uphill from now!!

arcticmonkeys said:
i don't know maybe i'm just not studying the "right" way .. i'm getting B+ in all of my courses so it's not like i'm dying in a certain course or doing spectacular in another ... so yup i'm just thinking of keeping up with my ECs that i'm doing right now .. not more not less ... and get my GPA up there first since ECs i could always improve later ... and no i'm not really going crazy over ECs compared to others!! i haven't even been active in school clubs which isn't that great ...

but anyway, i think my gpa is more to do with me not keeping up with work because i get tired after classes and end up slacking off on weekdays .. which probably kills me in the long run ...hopefully it'll be uphill from now!!
It;s also important to be doing the right ECs. Try to join groups that are service oriented, try to go out ot the community and make a difference. as corny as that sounds, that's what med schools like to see

Will Ferrell said:
You have a 37 MCAT, ~3.7 from a top 5 university, and ALL the ECs in the bag! You're doing a heck of a job. Just interview well and U-Dub will be in the bag. :) Do MOCK INTERVIEWS and don't interview at UW first!
are mock interviews jsut ones you set up with friends? or are there actual mock interview companies that you can sign up w/?

fugazism said:
i guess its my turn. What I am really wondering is if I am applying to too many or not enough schools.

any thoughts?
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=5475
Wow your ECs are amazing. I think I would take it easy on the schools. You'll be swamped with secondaries that you might not be able to put 100% into them or turn them in early. Plus thats a crap load of money

kevster2001 said:
are mock interviews jsut ones you set up with friends? or are there actual mock interview companies that you can sign up w/?
Often times, you can do mock interviews with designated people from your premed office. Personally, I did mock interviews with my boss, a surgeon who also does med school interviews, and several other professors I knew at my graduate institution's medical school. These practice interviews were quite invaluable.

kevster2001 said:
Wow your ECs are amazing. I think I would take it easy on the schools. You'll be swamped with secondaries that you might not be able to put 100% into them or turn them in early. Plus thats a crap load of money

thanks....so if i cut schools, do i cut schools i got a fighting chance at or dream schools?

arcticmonkeys said:

lol, well that's your problem! just take a small break to rest for like 30 mins after classes. grab coffee somewhere, but don't head home! you'll never go back to work if you do! then go to a library and work. be sure to allow yourself a dinner and/or snack break, so you have some motivation to keep working until then. i had the same problem you did frosh yr. the trick is, you can't let yourself go back to your dorm after classes. if you're in the library, the most you can do is fall asleep for like 45 mins on your desk, but then you wake back up and work again. save the weekends for fun, but work during the week!

as far as 'effective' studying goes, that's pretty much the main factor that will make or break your grades. some people study forever and still don't do well, while others hardly study at all and end up with As. while some difference is due to natural ability variations, there are a few study tips that would've helped me to know before i had to figure them out on my own:

1. don't be one of those ppl who thinks he/she has to do every practice problem in the book and read every word of every chapter. that's really not very helpful for most students. gauge the amount of time you have before an exam, and decide what your most effective plan of studying would be. often it involves something like just reading over the notes a couple of times until you feel like you've memorized most of the material given in lecture. in my experiences, textbooks are never very helpful. if the prof considers it impt enough to put it on the exam, he/she will most likely say it in class.

2. if the material is boring or confusing, study with friends. if you talk about the concepts, you can usually figure them out and come up with effective ways to remember stuff pretty easily. also, if you teach some of the stuff to people, it'll help you learn it a lot better. one caveat: choose your study friends wisely!! you want to find people who a.) are smart and are doing well in the course and b.) can contribute to the study session and don't just rely on other people to teach them stuff. while it is helpful for you to teach things back to people, you don't want to spend all night before a test explaining it to some user.

3. two words: flash cards. seriously people. if you make flashcards and then study from them, you'll be amazed at your own memorization skills. i swear by those things.

4. if you're unclear about stuff, it's always helpful to go to a prof's office hours. if you go before the test, chances are that he/she will review some of the material that's actually going to be on the test (either to help you out, or by accident because that's what's on his/her mind at the time). also, if you do crappily on one test, ask what you can do to improve for the next one. if you follow the prof's advice and let him/her know that before the 2nd test, you will almost have to do well b/c the prof doesn't want to look bad for giving you ineffective advice.

i think i've been attempting to give way too much sdn advice tonight!! it's prob b/c i'm trying to avoid making the md vs. md/phd decision...

wow ducchess you really are trying to avoid your decision making haha.. yeah i really should stay and study !! it's a much better habit , but i always find an excuse to go back to my dorms ... esp. to sleep!! i end up watching tv or surfing the web ... it's so exhausting but i guess it's worth it to stay and study .. my other excuse is that i usually don't bring my textbooks with me to class so i never do the study at library thing .. flash cards - for real? in the "official SDN guide to med school" it says don't do flash cards cuz it's a waste of time!! i guess it depends on how effective you are at making em ...
and in terms of asking the prof questions, yup as much as i realize it's good for me i end up back in my room half the time !!anyway i'll try to keep your tips in mind for sure!!

fugazism said:
thanks....so if i cut schools, do i cut schools i got a fighting chance at or dream schools?
I would cut a few from each. Looking at your out of state schools, you have to consider if you got into one of those as well as a UC school, which would you choose. The chances of your getting into a UC are pretty good i would think so there's no need in having too many out of states

arcticmonkeys said:
wow ducchess you really are trying to avoid your decision making haha.. yeah i really should stay and study !! it's a much better habit , but i always find an excuse to go back to my dorms ... esp. to sleep!! i end up watching tv or surfing the web ... it's so exhausting but i guess it's worth it to stay and study .. my other excuse is that i usually don't bring my textbooks with me to class so i never do the study at library thing .. flash cards - for real? in the "official SDN guide to med school" it says don't do flash cards cuz it's a waste of time!! i guess it depends on how effective you are at making em ...
and in terms of asking the prof questions, yup as much as i realize it's good for me i end up back in my room half the time !!anyway i'll try to keep your tips in mind for sure!!
What me and my friends usually do is study together about a week before a test. We go to a study room where we can talk if we need to. With everyone studying, it's hard to get distracted.

arcticmonkeys said:
Flash cards usually highlight the main points and don't get too in depth to all you really need to know...unless you have LOTS of flash cards. Personally, I like to study on my own and then a week before a test, study with others. This allows me to pick up on information or concepts that I haven't thought about before. Afterwards, I would go back and study by myself before the test. Sounds like a lot of work, but it gets results. Hope that helps.

Pkboi24 said:
Little to No Chance
Baylor
Southwestern
Boston
Columbia
Northwestern

Maybe I'm missing something, but why don't you have a chance here? :confused:

what about me. let me down softly please. i'm also thinking of usc and looking for more safety schools.

Howdy, everyone. I don't know much about medical schools throughout the country other than what I've learned through the MSAR and school websites, so I'm kind of perplexed at how I should go about picking the right "comfort" and "safety" schools for me. That is, I know that I should "apply broadly," but I'd really like to pick schools that all fit my personality and interests. I'm interested in getting an MD and also an MPH (or maybe a MPP), and I would ideally attend medical school in an urban area because I care a lot about poverty alleviation and urban policy. If anyone has any suggestions on particular schools to which I should apply, I'd appreciate your help a lot!

I have pretty competitive numbers in terms of GPA and MCAT, but my major weakness is clinical experience, which I hope to strengthen this summer. I'm thus thinking about submitting my AMCAS application in July (which is risky because my school requires 3 weeks after processing to send out letter packets...), but this will allow me to talk about my summer experiences on the application. For example, I'm working in a community health clinic's homeless health program for 8 weeks this summer, and my time with them will start on 6/4, roughly. I think that a month on the job would give the ability to write an accurate description of the experience on my AMCAS application. The alternative would be to submit it now and send update letters. Advice on this would also be appreciated! My MDApplicants profile should be linked from my signature. I'd ask my pre-med advisor, but he's not taking appointments until 6/14 (...). Also, I tend to ramble if you can't tell already, so sorry about that...

Hey guys,

Canadian student here at McGill University. My top choice is McGill but I'm also going to be applying to several schools in the U.S. in case that doesn't work out.

Here is my profile:

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=5540

I was wondering which other U.S. schools I should apply to since the ones I have put down are mostly top tier and I probably don't have much of a chance. Anyone know where a 33Q/3.97 will get you into a good school? Keep in mind I haven't gone to Africa or found the cure for HIV yet (although I am trying!!) Sorry for the nievity but I don't really know how picky U.S. schools are with Canadians.

Also could anyone tell me if I should really NOT apply to any of the schools I've listed?

Thanks!!

Jordan

EBI831 said:
what about me. let me down softly please. i'm also thinking of usc and looking for more safety schools.

Looking good so far. I would apply to more schools though, just in case. And please, don't complain about a 3.5+ GPA. That's really good. There are many people here who would kill to have that GPA. (me included) ;)

for the rest:
I don't have much, but any feedback would be appreciated! :)
my mdapp

EBI831 said:
Not that you would use it as a crutch, but the URM will definitely get you interviews at those schools providing that you GPA stays steady and you get your anticipated 32 on the MCATs. If those factors ring true, it looks like a strong application. :thumbup:

Hi guys,

So here are my stats:

GPA: 3.81
BCPM: 3.70
MCAT: 42

VP/founder of AIDS club, raised funds for AIDS and organized protests for treatment access
Pres/VP/secretary of club dedicated to sending medical supplies to other countries
Editor-in-chief/assistant editor of biannual engineering and science review
2 first author publications in immunology (~2 years of research)
HIV counselor at Free Clinic (going on 2 years, volunteer)
honors thesis for both majors (bio and international studies)
secretary of religious organization
EMT-B, campus EMT squad (going on 2 years)
mortar board/STPS (honor societies)
college scholars (honor program)
reporter for school paper
employed part-time throughout school - TB lab, then Center for Global Health and Diseases, then General Clinical Research Center at University Hospitals
starting MA in bioethics program in the fall - will be doing a clinical ethics rotation

What really worries me is the GPA - I did well freshman and sophomore year fall semesters, but tanked spring semester both years because of family emergencies (3.43 freshman spring and 3.52 sophomore...still made the Dean's list). I also got a C in O Chem II - I repeated it over the summer and got an A, but the original grade will still be shown to AMCAS. Do I have a prayer at a top 20 school (or more importantly, a merit scholarship), and is there anything I can do to increase my chances? Do I need more clinical experience?

Sorry guys, I normally hate these kinds of posts and I avoid making them, but I'm really panicking - I don't know if I could afford medical school without the merit scholarship.

Thanks!

spi11edpaint said:
Hi guys,

So here are my stats:

VP/founder of AIDS club, raised funds for AIDS and organized protests for treatment access
Pres/VP/secretary of club dedicated to sending medical supplies to other countries
employed part-time throughout school - TB lab, then Center for Global Health and Diseases, then General Clinical Research Center at University Hospitals
starting MA in bioethics program in the fall - will be doing a clinical ethics rotation

What really worries me is the GPA - I did well freshman and sophomore year fall semesters, but tanked spring semester both years because of family emergencies (3.43 freshman spring and 3.52 sophomore...still made the Dean's list). I also got a C in O Chem II - I repeated it over the summer and got an A, but the original grade will still be shown to AMCAS. Do I have a prayer at a top 20 school (or more importantly, a merit scholarship), and is there anything I can do to increase my chances? Do I need more clinical experience?

Sorry guys, I normally hate these kinds of posts and I avoid making them, but I'm really panicking - I don't know if I could afford medical school without the merit scholarship.

Thanks!

42 on the MCAT? 3.8 GPA? I think you are above average nearly every medical school in the country. Certainly the MCAT. Anyone who has a 3.6 - 3.8 GPA MUST have had a semester where everything didn't go perfectly, so chill out. You'll be fine. You have decent ECs too. Unless you drool all over yourself in an interview, or curse out loud... you will get in.

spi11edpaint said:
Hi guys,

So here are my stats:

This is all very good and excellent. You are obviously very dedicated and your ECs really stand out. Your MCAT score is ridiculous.

spi11edpaint said:
What really worries me is the GPA - I did well freshman and sophomore year fall semesters, but tanked spring semester both years because of family emergencies (3.43 freshman spring and 3.52 sophomore...still made the Dean's list). I also got a C in O Chem II - I repeated it over the summer and got an A, but the original grade will still be shown to AMCAS. Do I have a prayer at a top 20 school (or more importantly, a merit scholarship), and is there anything I can do to increase my chances?

Well at this point I don't know that there is anything you can do. You have a solid GPA, with two slight mishaps which you can hopefully explain. Your MCAT is amazing and your EC's are amazing. So all you have to do now is get LOR's, and write an excellent PS.

spi11edpaint said:
Do I need more clinical experience?

I don't think so, but it never hurts. EMT, aids clinic, TB lab etc, I don't know that you need more clinical experience, but if you aren't doing anything else right now, why not?

spi11edpaint said:

Thanks!

Most schools if you get accepted make sure you can attend. It isn't like you're going to get an acceptance letter that includes a bill for 150,000 dollars needed before the first day of class lol. If you get in, you'll certainly get some kind of financial aid, just don't put yourself above paying back loans. Almost every doctor has to pay back loans, it is expected.

As far as getting in a top 20 school, you've got good numbers, your mcat is probably a good bit higher than the average for those schools. All together though, if you apply to 5-6 top 20 schools I don't see why you couldn't get into one, but make sure you also apply to 5-6 back up schools as well.

Hope this helps!

Okay, I would love comments. I realize I'm a long shot, especially because of my practice MCAT scores. Not really sure what I'll do if my score comes back <30. Anyway, comments would be appreciated. I am applying to a couple of uber-reach schools to which I have familial ties (Mayo, JH and Yale), but otherwise I don't really think my list is unrealistic. I think it'll depend on how schools view the 10 years off.... :scared:

sandros1 said:
Okay, I would love comments. I realize I'm a long shot, especially because of my practice MCAT scores. Not really sure what I'll do if my score comes back <30. Anyway, comments would be appreciated. I am applying to a couple of uber-reach schools to which I have familial ties (Mayo, JH and Yale), but otherwise I don't really think my list is unrealistic. I think it'll depend on how schools view the 10 years off.... :scared:
Your 10 years off seem to be well spent. Your post-bac will definitely help and if you get your 30 on your MCATs many of the schools on your list will give you interviews. I'm not sure about the "uber"- reach schools though. Maybe you want to look into a few more DO schools.

Severus said:
This thread is giving me an ulcer. I've gotta stop coming in here.

*guzzles some milk*
Milk may be counteractive lol. It increases the production of more acid in your stomach. ;p

Wow, this is such a nice place to discuss about med school application.
Here's my situation:

School: University of Wisconsin-Madison
overall GPA: 3.83
BCPM GPA: 3.95
MCAT: 35

Honors/Recognition:
~Dean's list (3 times so far, want more)
~Hilldale Undergraguate Reserach Fellowship
~Phi Beta Kappa
~honors in liberal art degree
~honors in major degree (by graduation)
~comprehensive honors degree
~coauthor in American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) conference abstrace
~contribution in NIH grant proposal

Extracurricular/Volunteer/Leadership:
~Research experience (>2 yr, will be 3 next year): starting as assistant, now working on my own project about drug-induced radiation resistance in established cancer cells
~Clinical experience: pathology (>50 hr), dermatology (4 hr), will do more this summer
~Hospitol volunteer: UW hospital (starting the last semester), St. Mary's hospital(150 hr, high school though)
~PBS (Wisconsin Public Television): since 2003, now a volunteer shift coordinator
~Greater University Tutoring Serivice (GUTS; 1 yr): tutor chemistry, biology, physics, math, and statistics
~Board of Directorates for Biology Core Curriculum: bridging the gap between students and professors
~UW-Madison Ballroom Dance Association (2.5 yr): treasurer for 2 years
~UW Dancesport Team (1.5 yr): competitive ballroom dancing, won some competition

I didn't do so well the last semester (3.64) so that's what I am worried about. Also, I moved here five years ago from Taiwan so my English writing and reading abilities are probably not as good as the native speakers so the classes that requires tons of reading sometimes can hurt me quite a bit just because I read slower. So just reading the material can take up my time for studying for other classes. One example, I took Intro to modern lit last semester and got a B in. That class took up so much time that sometimes I found I didn't have much time to study for other classes. This is, as far as I want to believe, one reason why I didn't do so hot this semester. However, my science classes are still fine. I know this sounds crazy but in order to maximize my chance in getting into a med school, I am apply for a lot of them. Here are some of the schools I want to go to:

Reach:
Cornell
Columbia
Yale
Johns Hopkins
UCSF
UCLA
Case Western
Northwestern
Mayo
Stanford
Harvard

Safety:
UW-Madison
Medical College of Wisconsin
UofM-Twin City

If you know anything about my chance, please tell me. Thanks a lot :laugh:

Boy, people really need their egos stroked, don't they? +pity+

:barf:

BAD ktdog112!!! Go sit in the corner on a time-out for 10 minutes. I hope you've learned your lesson young man!

I might as well post on here too, I could go for an ego stroking, or destroying either way really :laugh: .

Ok so I have an mdapps profile but here are my stats:'
Overall GPA:3.72
BCPM:4.0 (haven't taken physics or organic yet :scared: )
MCAT: Not taken yet

Extra curriculars:
Volunteered in an orthopedic surgeon's office during clinic 2+ years
Biology Lab assistant 1 semester
15 credit hours of research with two poster presentations (hopefully one publication). Basically 2 entire summers and fall semesters of basic science research dealing with plants lol.
Worked as a nurse's assistant in an operating room 2+ years
Worked as a lab tech in a pathology lab for 2+ years
EMT-B (this summer I am getting certified and plan on doing volunteer work plus getting a job as an EMT)

Schools I am currently looking at:

Reach:
Baylor
Boston
Brown
Case Western
Columbia
Dartmouth
Duke
New York University
Michigan
Penn
Vanderbilt
Yale

Safety(if you can use that term):
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Georgetown
Mount Sinai
NYMC
SUNY Buffalo
Alabama
South Alabama
Wake Forest

If anyone wants to comment on my schools or suggest others feel free. Also if anyone has suggestions for new activies/ec's or tips for organic/physics next year, I'll take that too!

Thanks!

ktdog112 said:
Wow, this is such a nice place to discuss about med school application.
Here's my situation:
<snip>
~Hilldale Undergraguate Reserach Fellowship
<snip>
If you know anything about my chance, please tell me. Thanks a lot :laugh:

Ordinarily I'd suggest a few more schools in the less competitive range, even for someone with your incredible stats, but UWisc really likes Hilldale recipients, so I think they will be a very solid safety for you. If your interview skills are solid, you should be golden.

Status
Not open for further replies.