UNC Feb 1st, anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i dont understand UNC. A pre-dent from my school got in with a 3.1 GPA and a 18AA and they dont study and just screw around in class. And the the pre-dent is 21 with no ties to UNC. Getting into UNC is just pure luck.

That kid is properly either mexican/hispanic or african american. they get in easily...

Members don't see this ad.

That kid is properly either mexican/hispanic or african american. they get in easily...

no you racist. they are white as a ghost. Think before you talk u *******.

UNC will have a new curriculum (or at least largely new) while you are a dental student.
And from experience, I can guarantee that if you are concerned about specilaizing, you'll work your tail off at any program. But if you aim to be a GP (like most of my class here at UNC did), well, there was never a shortage of fishing, heading to the beach, winter ski trips, weekend and weeknights out, etc. for those guys and gals. Regardless of where you go, it's about how smart you work, not how many hours you put in. A P/F system where you get all passes is no different than having a transcript full of Bs and Cs. Very easy to manage at UNC...if that's what you are interested in.

wahhhh hooooo! It's good to hear something like that:D:D:thumbup:. I'm pretty sure i want to be a pedo...i guess I have to work my tail off if I go there (or anywhere).

Members don't see this ad :)
no you racist. they are white as a ghost. Think before you talk u *******.

didn't mean to offend you. you misunderstood what i am saiding. I mean white and asian kids have higher grades and dat scores (you can look that up anywhere), so they are expected to get higher stats. While others get in with stats like you mentioned earlier 3.1 and 18 on the DAT which is lower. I NEVER said white was superior or anything. Don't get offend so easily. its no big deal...

Hey listen, I know you're a good and nice person, but it doesn't matter how true/untrue your statement is...we should not say things like that. There's enough tension among different races in the south already. This is a by product of affirmative action; it puts different ethinic groups in fierce competition which usually results in hatred. There's an alternative way to affirmative action and that's looking at (low) incomes. Money is always green...not black, white, or yellow.

Just wondering for those of you that were accepted...when is your deposit do by? That way I can call and see what the waitlist will look like :D , If I am even on it. I wish I know what the criteria "cut-off" is for the wait-list b/c last year I was not on it and I have a 20/20/18 3.7 and BS/BA Bio/Chem and really I thought both interviews last year & this year went great so I will be dissapointed if I am not even on the alternate list this year.

It looks like you applied to some pretty good schools. the deposit is due by feb. 15. I have a friend at Nova and he really likes it. He actually chose to go there over UNC but that is another story.

yeah I was accepted at UL last year but declined b/c I really wanted to go to UNC and was told that I was almost a "guarantee" this year by alot of ppl at UNC but hey who know's what happened. Just hoping for the best now - off the "waitlist" or at least on the "waitlist". But I wont wait another year I will attend NOVA in the Fall if I hear nothing back from CH.

That's too bad you haven't heard back from them yet. I was accepted to UL this year and it is no UNC and I understand why you waited. But Nova is a good school, has great weather besides the hurricanes, and you'll be a doctor either way. But I hope you get in at UNC.

At least you got accepted somewhere man! Congrats on that one! I myself will probably have to wait another year....:(

what are your plans if not accepted. I would recommend stongly staying in school anyway you can. There was a handful of kids from my school last year that were not accepted and it look alot better to the adcom's of schools if you still shadow/work and keep that knowledge flowing into your system. Plus I think if i would have taken a year off it would have been a huge shell shock starting D.School with so much time in b/w with no schooling.

**do you guys think they will go 6-7 deep into the waitlist?**

what are your plans if not accepted. I would recommend stongly staying in school anyway you can. There was a handful of kids from my school last year that were not accepted and it look alot better to the adcom's of schools if you still shadow/work and keep that knowledge flowing into your system. Plus I think if i would have taken a year off it would have been a huge shell shock starting D.School with so much time in b/w with no schooling.

**do you guys think they will go 6-7 deep into the waitlist?**

The people who dropped out will mostly likely to be the outta staters, but they probably will replace those with outta staters because they have to that that 15 people from out of state. The people from instate are most likely to stay instate because UNC is like a cheap harvard :D. I will probably go here as well...not 100% sure.

I don't know what I'll do with my year off...I want to stay in school, but it'll be my bill from hear on out. I might just take a couple more bio classes or whatever. I was thinking trying to work as a drug rep, or at least something health related.

I do hope they go 6 or 7 deep, but I just want to know if I'll even be in that list! Ah the suspense!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what I'll do with my year off...I want to stay in school, but it'll be my bill from hear on out. I might just take a couple more bio classes or whatever. I was thinking trying to work as a drug rep, or at least something health related.

I do hope they go 6 or 7 deep, but I just want to know if I'll even be in that list! Ah the suspense!

I strongly recommend you to get a job as a dental assistant if you're going to work while taking classes. Being a dental assistant is a booster for your application...imagine all the things you can talk about at the interview, which i did. Sculpting and pottery classes are also a good idea :idea:

I strongly recommend you to get a job as a dental assistant if you're going to work while taking classes. Being a dental assistant is a booster for your application...imagine all the things you can talk about at the interview, which i did. Sculpting and pottery classes are also a good idea :idea:

Sounds like a good idea. Did you have to get trained to do that? If so, where?

Sounds like a good idea. Did you have to get trained to do that? If so, where?

Initially i called around and no one gave me that job. So, i got pissed. I decided to walk into a practice and ask for one...it worked! I'm sure there are other ways to do it. I have a really good relationship with the dentist that took me in, he showed me everything and taught me a lot of things. I guess I was lucky. Under the North Carolina law, you don't need a license to do basic dental assistant work; however, you do need to be certified if you going to take x rays etc.... That dentist trained me how to do things from the beginning. good luck

i'm probably the only one on here who is relieved that they didn't get a call from unc :p. i was actually house hunting in lexington when all of this was going on :laugh:. i :love: UK, and knew that if i got that call from unc it would be taxing to walk away from such a difference in tuition despite knowing that i fit into the UK culture MUCH more than UNC's. anyway, i couldn't bring myself to withdraw my app since i was too curious to know if i would get accepted.

all i can say is that no amount of money can buy back the next 4 years of your life, and my feeling is that i want to go where i know i will the the happiest for the next 4 years. it looks like some of you may be deciding b/t different schools, and i will tell you that when i interviewed at UofL, the dean told me that you should choose a school based on where you will be happiest b/c in the end you will make enough $$ that the difference in tuition really doesn't matter in the scheme of things, and if you choose a school purely based on $$ you will kick yourself for the next 4 years when things get tough b/c you will likely always be thinking, "i didn't want to go here anyway!", so even when the going gets tough at the school you liked the best, at least you know that you truly wanted to be there and hopefully knowing that makes it easier to weather the rough patches ;).

thanks for all of the support to everyone on this thread. i wish you all the best :luck: :luck:

i'm probably the only one on here who is relieved that they didn't get a call from unc :p. i was actually house hunting in lexington when all of this was going on :laugh:. i :love: UK, and knew that if i got that call from unc it would be taxing to walk away from such a difference in tuition despite knowing that i fit into the UK culture MUCH more than UNC's. anyway, i couldn't bring myself to withdraw my app since i was too curious to know if i would get accepted.

all i can say is that no amount of money can buy back the next 4 years of your life, and my feeling is that i want to go where i know i will the the happiest for the next 4 years. it looks like some of you may be deciding b/t different schools, and i will tell you that when i interviewed at UofL, the dean told me that you should choose a school based on where you will be happiest b/c in the end you will make enough $$ that the difference in tuition really doesn't matter in the scheme of things, and if you choose a school purely based on $$ you will kick yourself for the next 4 years when things get tough b/c you will likely always be thinking, "i didn't want to go here anyway!", so even when the going gets tough at the school you liked the best, at least you know that you truly wanted to be there and hopefully knowing that makes it easier to weather the rough patches ;).

thanks for all of the support to everyone on this thread. i wish you all the best :luck: :luck:

are you from North Carolina?

Well LL I'm happy that you're happy with your decision!

are you from North Carolina?

yep. i have lived here over 20 years :eek:. i don't know if i will return to NC to practice. the more i visit KY the more i like it there, and UK has an amazing networking system. KY has a lot of dentists getting ready to retire and apparently UK does a lot of coordinating in helping those established dentists meet the students and find good matches so that when the students graduate they have established practices to go into and eventually take over.

look, unless you are a native american, then we are all immigrants to this country. i myself am a total mutt. i know one of my ancestors fled to america after punching an english duke in the face :p, oops!

i recommed we ceast and desist on this matter. there are several other theads open which discuss these matters. :)

look, unless you are a native american, then we are all immigrants to this country. i myself am a total mutt. i know one of my ancestors fled to america after punching an english duke in the face :p, oops!

i recommed we ceast and desist on this matter. there are several other theads open which discuss these matters. :)

I don't blame your ancestors....punching anything that is Duke related is a fair game.:D

The people who dropped out will mostly likely to be the outta staters, but they probably will replace those with outta staters because they have to that that 15 people from out of state. The people from instate are most likely to stay instate because UNC is like a cheap harvard :D. I will probably go here as well...not 100% sure.

I seriously doubt they're going to replace the out-of-staters with more on the waitlist considering the likelihood of them deciding to come that late. They don't want to keep going down the list of out-of-staters to find one that wants to come. They're usually more sure that if they take an instater off the list, they'll come.

yeah I agree with that assumption b/c most out-of-staters accepted to UNC will most likely be accepted to their state school as well.

yeah I agree with that assumption b/c most out-of-staters accepted to UNC will most likely be accepted to their state school as well.

I would gladly go to UNC...the only school I would go to over UNC would be UOP but even that is impossible to get in if you are a California resident. The rest of the California dental schools suck compared to UNC.

I'm in at UNC. It's my in state so I'll probably go there but I'm not completely decided yet. Is anyone else in debate or are you all definitely going to UNC?

I'm in at UNC. It's my in state so I'll probably go there but I'm not completely decided yet. Is anyone else in debate or are you all definitely going to UNC?

I'm a definate!

I am still debating...i am leaning towards UNC. I am also a senior at UNC

I just got in to University of Maryland:D ...but I'm still holding out for UNC. How come I can get in to someone else's state school and not my own???

I just got in to University of Maryland:D ...but I'm still holding out for UNC. How come I can get in to someone else's state school and not my own???

Maryland does let in 60 out of staters which is comparable to UNC's in-state. But it sucks that UNC hasn't let you in yet. Will you go to Maryland if you don't hear back from UNC?

Yeah, I don't want to have to go through another year of applying. Maryland is a good school. I'll go there if I don't hear from UNC within a few months.

Yeah, I don't want to have to go through another year of applying. Maryland is a good school. I'll go there if I don't hear from UNC within a few months.

i really liked Maryland and the facilities are amazing. it was my second choice of all the schools I applied to after UNC.

Yeah, I liked Maryland too. The main reason I really want to go to UNC (other than it's a good school and will be phenomenally cheaper) is that I currently live in Durham and my husband has a good job here and I hate to make him quit and move up there when I could be going somewhere just 15 minutes away...

Easy decision. I'm withdrawing all apps and going to carolina. One of the best schools in the country and as an in state student, I would be crazy to turn them down.

Yeah, I liked Maryland too. The main reason I really want to go to UNC (other than it's a good school and will be phenomenally cheaper) is that I currently live in Durham and my husband has a good job here and I hate to make him quit and move up there when I could be going somewhere just 15 minutes away...

i guess sometimes you have to sacrifice for you career. It's not over yet becuase there is a waiting list. It's not over 'till it's over. Good luck to you. :D

congrats on the maryland acceptance! don't give up on unc yet until the waitlist is generated. good luck

have you called dr. guckes? i have heard that he will talk to people over the phone about their applications. if i really wanted to attend unc, i would call and keep my name in front of him. stay in regular contact. i know a girl who got in last year off the waitlist, and she went up and met with dr. guckes and continued calling to keep her name in front of the adcom. good luck!

have you called dr. guckes? i have heard that he will talk to people over the phone about their applications. if i really wanted to attend unc, i would call and keep my name in front of him. stay in regular contact. i know a girl who got in last year off the waitlist, and she went up and met with dr. guckes and continued calling to keep her name in front of the adcom. good luck!

Thanks for the input. I've met with Dr. Guckes twice before the application process and I emailed him Friday morning and asked if we could meet again so he could let me know about the weaknesses of my application so I could go ahead and start to remedy those things. He wrote back and said there were no real weaknesses in my application - that my GPA is a little lower than several of those admitted, but that my DAT and Interview scores were excellent. He says he'll meet with me after the beginning of March to talk more. That sounds pretty positive, but there no real way to know what's going to happen with the waitlist. I'm going to do all that I can - I hope it will work.

If the waiting list is not rankend (ie... random)....in what way can it help if you talk to them?:confused::confused:
I personally know a couple of people from last year bugging the admission office on daily basis, and I do not believe that helped them. Maybe for other schools it does.

How do you know that the waitlist is not ranked?

It doesn't seem like it makes much sense to deliberate over each individual choice for the normal seats, and then just leave it up to luck for any replacements. Wouldn't they want to still get the best candidates from the waitlist?

precisely, it is an unranked list...and they like to keep it very "hush hush" on how those are admitted from this list if a spot does open up. So maybe it has to do with some "outside" influences; be that from yourself or a "higher power".
(man i loved using the "" in this post - haha!)

How do you know that the waitlist is not ranked?

It doesn't seem like it makes much sense to deliberate over each individual choice for the normal seats, and then just leave it up to luck for any replacements. Wouldn't they want to still get the best candidates from the waitlist?

it's unranked because they told me so at the interview.
Good luck, Ya'll

Disclaimer: This is complete speculation and I have NO idea whether it is true or not and it is just a theory...

Maybe the waitlist is unranked b/c they want to see who doesn't accept. If an out of stater with some score doesn't accept then they pull a similar applicant off the waitlist with similar stat's and similar personality/characteristics experiences. So if Bob Smoe decided to go to California instead of UNC and he was a resident from Greensboro with 3 years of research experience and a quiet type they would pull a male from a similar sized hometown/college with similar research experience and a less extroverted disposition.
That is the ONLY reason that I can think of why the waitlist would be un-ranked. They are just trying to keep their diversity/student profile mix the same b/c the class chemistry is important.

Any other theories?

Disclaimer: This is complete speculation and I have NO idea whether it is true or not and it is just a theory...

Maybe the waitlist is unranked b/c they want to see who doesn't accept. If an out of stater with some score doesn't accept then they pull a similar applicant off the waitlist with similar stat's and similar personality/characteristics experiences. So if Bob Smoe decided to go to California instead of UNC and he was a resident from Greensboro with 3 years of research experience and a quiet type they would pull a male from a similar sized hometown/college with similar research experience and a less extroverted disposition.
That is the ONLY reason that I can think of why the waitlist would be un-ranked. They are just trying to keep their diversity/student profile mix the same b/c the class chemistry is important.

Any other theories?

hehe! this is fun! let me pull one....

Maybe this is their opportunity to pull in people who they think are unique and will be excellent dentists even though they don't have top notch grades?????

P.S. I can't really say what i really think because this forum is not safe for ideas.

yes it is....chat away. its not like anybody knows who you are. :)

yes it is....chat away. its not like anybody knows who you are. :)
hehe...i've been posting for 2 yrs with over 1k posts...and everytime I have to watch what i'm saying. After I read that article about a kid who got suspended from dental school after posting something "bad" over the internet, I don't feel like we have the freedom of speech over the internet anymore.
By the way, what I want to say has nothing to do with UNC but it's about the system of admission. I got nothing but love for UNC, and UNC gave me a lot of luvin' :). Who in here is an undergrad at UNC?