Florida schools application thread part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion. if Florida is opening more medical schools in hopes that more doctors will stay here in Florida, then they need to also increase the number of residencies. Looks like that might be happening...

They are planning on doing that with ORMC and I think with a few other places. However, i don't think it all has to do with residency. The places most underserved are the areas that most people don't want to practice in, areas like north and central florida where there are lots of rural communities. Furthermore, a lot of people don't want to go into the fields like primary care and other fields which there are a shortage of physicians in so that adds to the problems.

But by far the biggest problem is the ridiculous state of malpractice laws like this 3 strikes and you are out rule. A lot of physicians are being driven away due to the fact that the laws are really bad. For instance, OB/GYN is a field where a lot of doctors are no longer doing certain procedures out of fear or are completely leaving the state altogether.

I don't know all the specifics and I'd have to do some research but I've read some various things here and there and right now it looks like Fl. needs to do something else besides creating more residency and med school seats if they really want to give doctors incentive to stay in Fl.

Members don't see this ad.

They are planning on doing that with ORMC and I think with a few other places. However, i don't think it all has to do with residency. The places most underserved are the areas that most people don't want to practice in, areas like north and central florida where there are lots of rural communities. Furthermore, a lot of people don't want to go into the fields like primary care and other fields which there are a shortage of physicians in so that adds to the problems.

But by far the biggest problem is the ridiculous state of malpractice laws like this 3 strikes and you are out rule. A lot of physicians are being driven away due to the fact that the laws are really bad. For instance, OB/GYN is a field where a lot of doctors are no longer doing certain procedures out of fear or are completely leaving the state altogether.

I don't know all the specifics and I'd have to do some research but I've read some various things here and there and right now it looks like Fl. needs to do something else besides creating more residency and med school seats if they really want to give doctors incentive to stay in Fl.

I agree that the malpractice in Florida is also a major problem. I think that there are several problems in Florida that make it difficult to retain doctors here. Malpractice is probablly at the top.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't get it. It's UF not Harvard. Everyone thinks it's the ticket to academia...on what planet? Maybe for the state of Florida, but it's really not this big research powerhouse that everyone makes it out to be compare to other schools OOS.

Don't flame me, I'm just saying this as someone who has lived outside of Florida and internationally. UF really isn't a "World Wide" research institution. Granted for the tuition it's a good option, but I think for a bit more, Miami is much better and has more international connections :)

Totally agree, you want a "ticket to academia" or a research powerhouse go to a top 10 or top 20 school. UF is far from the top 20, but its a good institution as UM and USF.

Totally agree, you want a "ticket to academia" or a research powerhouse go to a top 10 or top 20 school. UF is far from the top 20, but its a good institution as UM and USF.

its definetly no harvard dr zeke but i also lived out of state for most my life, and the only school given even the slightest bit of care of the florida schools is UF, yes, because we all know people on here obsesss over those ranking lists, and the only school in the top 50 in the list is UF, doesnt matter if umiami was 51, it doesnt make the list and translates to people as far below than UF, im not saying thats right, im just telling you what happens for people who dont live in this state

its definetly no harvard dr zeke but i also lived out of state for most my life, and the only school given even the slightest bit of care of the florida schools is UF, yes, because we all know people on here obsesss over those ranking lists, and the only school in the top 50 in the list is UF, doesnt matter if umiami was 51, it doesnt make the list and translates to people as far below than UF, im not saying thats right, im just telling you what happens for people who dont live in this state

Yes but how much stock can we take in that rankings list past the first 20 or so schools?? I mean there is so much fluctuation from year to year in the bottom half of that list that I question the validity of it. Just 3 years or so back UMiami was right at 50 and UF was in the 30's or 40's on the list. This year, UF is just barely hanging on the list.

Back then UF was ranked higher then Georgetown and BU and suddenly those schools have jumped up again. But the quality of education and everything else considered doesn't change that drastically.

The one thing I'll say for UF is that it has higher board score averages from what they say because they cater years one and two to the format of testing that the USMLE uses and have computerized tests with similar style questions. That's invaluable. However, I don't like other aspects about their program. But I think each program has its ups and downs and it really depends on the student. What is best for one student isn't always the best for another. For me personally I'd do better at USF or Miami, but I can see where others might find that they fit in a place like UF or some other school more.

Out of curiousity, if you get accepted to Cornell are you still going to go to WashU or to Cornell??

Yes but how much stock can we take in that rankings list past the first 20 or so schools?? I mean there is so much fluctuation from year to year in the bottom half of that list that I question the validity of it. Just 3 years or so back UMiami was right at 50 and UF was in the 30's or 40's on the list. This year, UF is just barely hanging on the list.

Back then UF was ranked higher then Georgetown and BU and suddenly those schools have jumped up again. But the quality of education and everything else considered doesn't change that drastically.

The one thing I'll say for UF is that it has higher board score averages from what they say because they cater years one and two to the format of testing that the USMLE uses and have computerized tests with similar style questions. That's invaluable. However, I don't like other aspects about their program. But I think each program has its ups and downs and it really depends on the student. What is best for one student isn't always the best for another. For me personally I'd do better at USF or Miami, but I can see where others might find that they fit in a place like UF or some other school more.

you didnt quite read what i had written...it doesnt matter if the rankings are right or wrong, theres a throng of people who read it and live by it, and thats why people will choose univ of florida over other schools, if you agree to subscribe that the top 20 are legitimate, then you have to subscribe to the whole list, i dont think harvard is in anyway better then mayo medical school, yet its clear because its ranekd number 1 people druel over it, and dr zeke marks it as the pinnacle of medical schools "its no harvard". The fact is univ of florida is consistently ranked above the other florida schools, the rankings hardly mean anything as all medical schools in the US are good, but its quite clear that everyone is knowledgeable abotu that list, and if your not from florida, the only thing you know about the florida schools is where they are ranked, and the only school they will even recognize will be univ of florida

you didnt quite read what i had written...it doesnt matter if the rankings are right or wrong, theres a throng of people who read it and live by it, and thats why people will choose univ of florida over other schools, if you agree to subscribe that the top 20 are legitimate, then you have to subscribe to the whole list, i dont think harvard is in anyway better then mayo medical school, yet its clear because its ranekd number 1 people druel over it, and dr zeke marks it as the pinnacle of medical schools "its no harvard". The fact is univ of florida is consistently ranked above the other florida schools, the rankings hardly mean anything as all medical schools in the US are good, but its quite clear that everyone is knowledgeable abotu that list, and if your not from florida, the only thing you know about the florida schools is where they are ranked, and the only school they will even recognize will be univ of florida

That's not completely true. Most of the out of staters I know that have wanted to go to a Florida school have put Miami up higher on the list of priorities then UF because realistically the only out of state students applying to UF are mostly students who are in state residents but went out of state for undergrad. You don't see too many people that are out of state students applying to any of the Fl. schools besides Miami because its partially private.

And granted SDN isn't a representative sample size, but from what I've seen on SDN most people who look at those rankings list only look at it so far as it applies to the top 20-30 schools or so and don't take stock into schools beyond the first half of the list when they look at rankings.

Ohh and thanks for clarifying your post. Not disagreeing with most of it. Just disagree with all of it. Just the slight bit I posted about above.

UF is good, but it's not that great despite anyone might say. Certainly no better than any of the other florida med schools. Most kids at UF are having delusions of grandeur.

That's not completely true. Most of the out of staters I know that have wanted to go to a Florida school have put Miami up higher on the list of priorities then UF because realistically the only out of state students applying to UF are mostly students who are in state residents but went out of state for undergrad. You don't see too many people that are out of state students applying to any of the Fl. schools besides Miami because its partially private.

And granted SDN isn't a representative sample size, but from what I've seen on SDN most people who look at those rankings list only look at it so far as it applies to the top 20-30 schools or so and don't take stock into schools beyond the first half of the list when they look at rankings.

Ohh and thanks for clarifying your post. Not disagreeing with most of it. Just disagree with all of it. Just the slight bit I posted about above.

to each their own, and thanks for your clarifying post, i liked how you increased your ranking list from top 20, to now 20-30, and i also enjoy how you knew exactly what ranking the schools were from previous years, you were case and point, if you pay attention to it this much of course others will, you knew it to the point where you knew where the schools were ranked last year and this year, and you really dont count seeing as you are from florida and lived here for a substantial time, a native here, and its not like your biased at all no offense but the only people i take advice from is unbiased people, id be willing to listen to someone who got into all the schools and THEN chose which one was best

if there is such a person out there, your who id like to hear from

to each their own, and thanks for your clarifying post, i liked how you increased your ranking list from top 20, to now 20-30, and i also enjoy how you knew exactly what ranking the schools were from previous years, you were case and point, if you pay attention to it this much of course others will, you knew it to the point where you knew where the schools were ranked last year and this year, and you really dont count seeing as you are from florida and lived here for a substantial time, a native here, and its not like your biased at all no offense but the only people i take advice from is unbiased people, id be willing to listen to someone who got into all the schools and THEN chose which one was best

I would consider myself relatively unbiased because I am OOS and applied to both UF and Miami.

The whole rankings issue seems to be a pre-med issue, and if you talk about it in the allo or residency forums very few seem to care. All the attendings I have spoken with say that your school doesn't matter unless you want academic medicine. Even then, it only really helps if you go to a top academic school. The schools I have heard mentioned by doctors are not necessarily the top 5 on the US News list. For example, the University of Chicago always comes up as an academic powerhouse, and it isn't even in the top 15 for US News. I loved UF, but I don't think it would give you a leg up over Miami for academia. However, I do think that UF has some magic mojo that helps all their students rock the boards, and this will certainly help you get the top residencies.

cool, nice stats and nice acceptances as well, do you know what school you'll attend out of the ones you got accepted to?

Members don't see this ad :)
cool, nice stats and nice acceptances as well, do you know what school you'll attend out of the ones you got accepted to?

Thanks. I can honestly say I have no idea right now. It is probably going to come down to money and location for me. I have no desire to do academic medicine, so rankings are not important for me. If I got into UF, it would be really hard to turn down because those board scores are through the roof, and that seems to be the number one factor in getting a good residency. People on sdn seem to think that all schools are equal as far as taking the boards, but I have a hard time believing that is true.

For example, UF admits people people with average stats, but does just as well on the boards as WashU. To me, that means that they do an excellent job of preparing you, but most disagree with me on this issue. On the other hand, I don't think you can beat Miami's clinical years. Jackson seems to be one of the top places in the country to get your clinical training. Oh yeah, and the location of Miami beats every other school I applied to by far (except UCSD who has put me in a death hold.)

NervousNed... it's true that some peole go by the ranked list, but I have to agree with what p1492 (whatever :)) said about how attendings and residents really don't care and that rankings are a pre-med issue. That's all I have to really say, and also, I can't provide an unbiased opinion :)

i wish acceptances were like baseball cards, that we could trade amongst each other....i want your univ of mich acceptance p1492

i wish acceptances were like baseball cards, that we could trade amongst each other....i want your univ of mich acceptance p1492

Haha, yeah well we can't trade, but that is going to be the first one to go unless they give me some ridiculous monies. If you are looking at academic medicine you can't do much better than Michigan, but you will absolutely freeze.

Haha, yeah well we can't trade, but that is going to be the first one to go unless they give me some ridiculous monies. If you are looking at academic medicine you can't do much better than Michigan, but you will absolutely freeze.

it was my undergrad institution, and if i find a way to win the lottery ill be contacting you :D

Yeah, I agree with you too DrCheek;)
LOL...

regarding your acceptance problem...I only have the one acceptance to Boca, but I'm hoping on main campus. I guess the biggest issue is that I have a feeling that the Boca campus will score consistently higher on the boards than the main campus, also with Lichstein running the show, I feel like you could match into whatever you want regardless of the bulk of the clinical years not being done at Jackson. But then, uh oh, I'm starting a research project at main campus and would like to maintain that affiliation and contact, assuming all goes well :). Also, Jackson and learning to speak spanish sounds fun. I need a 4th language.

The weather in Miami is definitely awesome, but I wouldn't use that as a main reason. It's hard to get to the beach once you live here for a while, especially where you are studying a lot. If you intend to be involved in ECs during med school and study, there won't be all that much time for the beach. A lot of the amazing stuff in Miami, like South Beach and some of the upscale clubs, can run you through a lot of dough. I take solace in the fact that I never have trouble waking up in this climate, as oppose to when I was living up north and that I just am able to appreciate little things like architecture and the beach and the climate. Some people are more about the "lifestyle" of South Florida, which is not what I would call affordable. I don't care for clubs with $20 cover charges, plastic surgery or a suped-up car. I do, however, like to work out (slap me on the wrist for currently being out of shape), enjoy the hot sun on my skin, and love the smell of sea air :)

LOL...

regarding your acceptance problem...I only have the one acceptance to Boca, but I'm hoping on main campus. I guess the biggest issue is that I have a feeling that the Boca campus will score consistently higher on the boards than the main campus, also with Lichstein running the show, I feel like you could match into whatever you want regardless of the bulk of the clinical years not being done at Jackson. But then, uh oh, I'm starting a research project at main campus and would like to maintain that affiliation and contact, assuming all goes well :). Also, Jackson and learning to speak spanish sounds fun. I need a 4th language.

The weather in Miami is definitely awesome, but I wouldn't use that as a main reason. It's hard to get to the beach once you live here for a while, especially where you are studying a lot. If you intend to be involved in ECs during med school and study, there won't be all that much time for the beach. A lot of the amazing stuff in Miami, like South Beach and some of the upscale clubs, can run you through a lot of dough. I take solace in the fact that I never have trouble waking up in this climate, as oppose to when I was living up north and that I just am able to appreciate little things like architecture and the beach and the climate. Some people are more about the "lifestyle" of South Florida, which is not what I would call affordable. I don't care for clubs with $20 cover charges, plastic surgery or a suped-up car. I do, however, like to work out (slap me on the wrist for currently being out of shape), enjoy the hot sun on my skin, and love the smell of sea air :)

actuallly going to south beach is easily fascilitated by univ of miami, the school sponsors free going to most the clubs on south beach for free and have open bar for a few hours, the students told me they spend about 10 bucks goin to awesome clubs and bars on south beach, so if you attended univ of miami, you could get in cover free :-D

actuallly going to south beach is easily fascilitated by univ of miami, the school sponsors free going to most the clubs on south beach for free and have open bar for a few hours, the students told me they spend about 10 bucks goin to awesome clubs and bars on south beach, so if you attended univ of miami, you could get in cover free :-D

****!!! I'm so there :) Thanks NervousNed you bada$$! :laugh: :thumbup:

****!!! I'm so there :) Thanks NervousNed you bada$$! :laugh: :thumbup:

yeah i had a chance to do this with my friends that are students here, and its true, they showed their ID, got into club mansion, drank solidly for a few hours, it was THE BOMB, cause usually you have to wait for a while in some of those select clubs on south beach, but just by being a student you are privelage to an awesome night life, one thing i must say i was way impressed with was how much the school does to make sure hte med students have fun, they even had a med students vs law students week, where they competed in races, poker, sports, etc man that place is fun I HOPE THEY ACCEPT ME

yeah i had a chance to do this with my friends that are students here, and its true, they showed their ID, got into club mansion, drank solidly for a few hours, it was THE BOMB, cause usually you have to wait for a while in some of those select clubs on south beach, but just by being a student you are privelage to an awesome night life, one thing i must say i was way impressed with was how much the school does to make sure hte med students have fun, they even had a med students vs law students week, where they competed in races, poker, sports, etc man that place is fun I HOPE THEY ACCEPT ME
Me too...

You know, a lot of Canadian schools have that. MedGames and Lawgames...they are an awesome time, where you just get very drunk and play funny sports between law classes and med classes. Organized by the differents schools.

I also heard Miami is a bit of a party school. Any truth to this? I didn't get this vibe when there, but I suppose the party kids would not be helping out with the interviews...they'd probably be at home recovering...

Me too...

You know, a lot of Canadian schools have that. MedGames and Lawgames...they are an awesome time, where you just get very drunk and play funny sports between law classes and med classes. Organized by the differents schools.

I also heard Miami is a bit of a party school. Any truth to this? I didn't get this vibe when there, but I suppose the party kids would not be helping out with the interviews...they'd probably be at home recovering...

theres definetly some truth to this, everytime someone tells me that medical school is unbearable i think of my univ miami friends in med school who are still PARTYING with me, they work when they have to but they have oodles and oodles of fun, they are mentally the most healthy students, they have a good balance in their life february 14 is the big day for me when do you hear back zeke?

Thanks. I can honestly say I have no idea right now. It is probably going to come down to money and location for me. I have no desire to do academic medicine, so rankings are not important for me. If I got into UF, it would be really hard to turn down because those board scores are through the roof, and that seems to be the number one factor in getting a good residency. People on sdn seem to think that all schools are equal as far as taking the boards, but I have a hard time believing that is true.

For example, UF admits people people with average stats, but does just as well on the boards as WashU. To me, that means that they do an excellent job of preparing you, but most disagree with me on this issue. On the other hand, I don't think you can beat Miami's clinical years. Jackson seems to be one of the top places in the country to get your clinical training. Oh yeah, and the location of Miami beats every other school I applied to by far (except UCSD who has put me in a death hold.)

But again, how can you compare board scores across schools when not all the data is present to the public?? UF is one of few schools that presents its data on the board score averages but most schools don't give all that info due to confidentiality of students privacy issues. In fact, that's one of the things people on SDN have been trying to get for a long time but haven't been able to find that information.

I don't deny that UF's average board scores are top notch, but that doesn't make it any better then the other schools. That's my point. Also, Deuist a student at Boca Miami said that their averages were comparable to UF's so perhaps its not solely school dependent but student dependent.

theres definetly some truth to this, everytime someone tells me that medical school is unbearable i think of my univ miami friends in med school who are still PARTYING with me, they work when they have to but they have oodles and oodles of fun, they are mentally the most healthy students, they have a good balance in their life february 14 is the big day for me when do you hear back zeke?

Agreed I have family friends who go there and I've seen plenty of pics of them getting drunk and partying on facebook. So there's def. some truth to it. But again, in a lot of med school classes there's always going to be those people who go out and get drunk after a major exam or throw parties. That's true of the other med schools in Florida. Miami probably just has a slightly bigger rep. for it because of where its located.

Okay, It's February 5th and I have absolutely zero interviews. Are Florida schools realistically still giving out interviews, or are they just cherry-picking favorite applications from the application pool that they haven't rejected yet. Or, do they just send out a batch of rejections in May? It seems that if you haven't scheduled an interview in the next few days, you ain't gonna interview at all this year. :(

Okay, It's February 5th and I have absolutely zero interviews. Are Florida schools realistically still giving out interviews, or are they just cherry-picking favorite applications from the application pool that they haven't rejected yet. Or, do they just send out a batch of rejections in May? It seems that if you haven't scheduled an interview in the next few days, you ain't gonna interview at all this year. :(

lifetime you still gotta hope, they still got more interviews i wouldnt worry until march...although i know that your stressed...

lifetime doc i saw your stats, a 33 on your mcat and a 4.0 on your post bach of 45 credits??????? whats going on here you should definetly have some interviews what am i missing

Sorry I just reread my post and realized I accidentally made some typos in the end of the post. I was typing from the comp lab and stressed cuz my coworker was totally bothering me at the time I was typing it. I just realized it said....

I disagree with all of it.

That's not what I meant to type. Again I apologize. I meant to say I disagree with SOME OF IT not ALL OF IT.

Sorry again.

And top 20 or top 30, my point was the first half of the list is the only extent to which people look at rankings. Beyond that like first half or so of the list, no one is going to brag and say "oh i went to the 50th ranked school or the 37th ranked school". People only are impressed by those that are in the upper half or so of that list.

And yes I may look at the lists, however I don't base my opinion of a school on its rankings. It just means that I've looked at the rankings. If I did base my opinion on rankings, then UF would be my top choice. However, I don't believe in such things. And if I have respect for a school like HMS it isn't because of its ranking more so as because it has students who've done such extraordinary things that go beyond what the average student has done not solely because they have more research dollars or because it says its the number one school.

Also, I have a number of friends who have applied this year and who have all told me that after interviewing at all the major Florida schools, they would not recommend UF to anyone because they felt they were rubbed the wrong way by the school. One friend interviewed at Miami, UF, and USF along with some out of state schools and the phone interview at Mayo. If you want to talk rankings, the schools she interviewed were top 20 schools. The one's that least impressed her were Upitt and UF both because their facilities were old and really dingy and because she felt that the personality of the people (at least at UF) were a bit snobby. She told me that at her interview, UF kept acting liking they needed to put down every other school to make them feel better. Told me that of the Fl. schools Miami was her first choice if she gets in. And this was from a person like you who kept thinking UF would be her top choice at first, but later walked away with a bad impression of the school. Out of state her top choice is one of the IVY league schools which is hard to get into because you only have a 1 in 3 chance of acceptance at that particular school.

Another person I know, who also had offers for interviews for all 4 Fl. schools told me she went there originally thinking she'd do anything to get into UF but then had the worst possible interview experience there in which the interviewer was putting her down for being poor and not going to an IVY league school even though she had great grades, MCAT scores, ECs, etc. On top of that she said that the interviewer was both late and completely rude to her, and that the rest of the people she met at the interview made her feel completely uncomfortable. This person originally was putting USF on their last choice and changed their mind to making it first choice, although I think Miami-Boca might have been first choice if they didn't need to cancel the interview due to lack of money or money to get a ticket to fly down there. On top of that their car wasn't exactly in the best shape and its not like she could just pull the money out of a cap to get it fixed where she would be able to drive down there so she didn't go.

I've heard other similar stories to this from other people too. So continue calling me biased and misunderstanding every post I make. Yes, I post about USF a lot but its because I know a lot about their program. It doesn't mean I'm saying its the only good school. But if I don't seem too enthusiastic as you would like me to be about UF its because there are several occasions I've been rubbed the wrong way by them. First, most every premed forum I've ever been to, they've either cancelled at the last minute, didn't know the answer to the most basic questions, or danced around the issues when you'd ask them a question and act a bit with a god complex. Then, I met a lot of students who interviewed there and most of them didn't feel it was as impressive as other schools both in state and out of state in terms of what they had to offer in certain non research areas. Third, I got the impression that I wasn't alone in feeling like they had a god complex and heard several horror stories of which the above 2 are just samples of. These were people who as you put it, are unbiased. So that's why I don't particularly like UF.

I'm not saying its a bad school or that if you feel its a good fit for you that you should not go there. I just am saying that its not the school i'd choose for me and am not going to get enthusiastic as you may wish me to be about UF.

Lastly, I apologize if I am misinterpreting any of what you have said or come off as attacking you. In no way shape or form do I intend to do that. i am merely trying to explain myself and hope that you don't take my post the wrong way.

lifetime you still gotta hope, they still got more interviews i wouldnt worry until march...although i know that your stressed...

Yeah I wouldn't worry unless its like end of March and you have no interviews. I've had friends who were like some of the last interviewees in the season and who got in over people who were early interviewees. Granted these same people were on waitlist, they were put on a higher place in the waitlist then people who interviewed in the fall semester well before them. So keep updating them if you've done anything new.

I know all the Florida schools, USF, UF, Umiami, and FSU encourage applicants to update them if you've done any new activities, got new grades, anything of that nature that will help your profile.

I already heard from UM in December. I'm accepted at Boca and waitlisted at main campus.

I'm trying to figure out what to write in a letter of intent...

Thats not completely true.....the school has nothing to do with the south beach outings, its just a local club promoter that is friends with many of the law and med students. It is not school sponsored.

Thats not completely true.....the school has nothing to do with the south beach outings, its just a local club promoter that is friends with many of the law and med students. It is not school sponsored.

Wait a minute, were you actually being serious NervousNed? I thought you were sarcastic. Free clubs on south beach because you are a med student?????

I know all the Florida schools, USF, UF, Umiami, and FSU encourage applicants to update them if you've done any new activities, got new grades, anything of that nature that will help your profile.

Yeah, I did that back in late December. I faxed all of the schools with my updated transcript and let them know I'm still interested.

Yeah, I did that back in late December. I faxed all of the schools with my updated transcript and let them know I'm still interested.

Did you call the schools you applied to to check on the status of your application? If you get a hold of the right person, they will tell you what could be holding you up a bit.

I've been thinking about your situation and I have a few questions:

1) Did you talk to adcoms about where the holes in your app might be?

2) Have you ever had another career or done something consistently over the past 12 years or have you been in school this entire time?

3) Have you completed any degrees aside from your bachelors?

Im currently a resident who did undergrad at miami and then had the fortune of getting into both 7-yr programs at UF and Miami at the end of my sophomore year. The choice for me was pretty simple---- UF all the way.
Academically, I think its the strongest school in the state and its didactics and board preparation during the 1st 2 years are outstanding. I definitely felt ready for Step 1 when it had rolled around at the end of second year. Every class's exams are given in a CBT (Computerized Based Testing) format that is similar to the USMLE. We also take NBME shelves in almost every subject and a lot of the class ended up doing quite well on those. My interview experience at UF was great--- everybody just loved being there and Robyn (admissions coordinator) will tell you, its the students that really sell the school. I definitely agree.

No matter what people may say about the flaws in methodology, US News is the best we've got at this point. UF makes it in quite a few patient care areas including the overall med school ranking (Cancer, neuro, neurosurg, urology come to mind, but there are probably more). I never felt anybody in my class was snobby or had a superiority complex, and overall, made a ton of good friends in med school. There was a good mix of UF, USF, UM and FSU students along with those that had gone OOS for college and were coming back for med school. Most true OOSers probably dont apply to UF because they are a state school and are subsidized for each state resident they enroll, thereby leaving hardly any (really competitive) slots left. UM had a similar agreement with the state previously, but not anymore I believe hence they accept a lot more OOSers, exanding the pool of people willing to pay more. When it came time for clinicals, I never felt short-changed at all---- the variety of centers you rotate at give you the full spectrum of care (Shands UF and Jax, and a large VA).

Miami is also a really good med school. A few things didnt quite do it for me though. The price is exorbitant in comparison to UF. Cost of living is much more so. The class size is bigger and the research opportunities just seemed more abundant at UF. I remember at the point I was applying, UF had the most NIH money in the state--- not sure at this point. From what I hear from friends and a sibling, it seems as though the didactics at UM arent quite as strong and the board pass rates and mean scores are probably a bit lower. Again, this is all hearsay, and youd probably need to talk to a lot of people to get a good feel for things.

I've been thinking about your situation and I have a few questions:

1) Did you talk to adcoms about where the holes in your app might be?

2) Have you ever had another career or done something consistently over the past 12 years or have you been in school this entire time?

3) Have you completed any degrees aside from your bachelors?

1) I've spoken to adcoms in general about my qualifications and my history, not specifically about my particular app (i.e. they hadn't looked at the actual application). I was under the impression that they'll only do that after you've been rejected and not during the process.

2) Yes, I currently own my own company and have worked in several jobs and a couple of careers.

3) I started a PhD in Chemistry, but left after one year because I couldn't stand the thought of spending my entire life in a dark laboratory by myself for 30 years.

1) I've spoken to adcoms in general about my qualifications and my history, not specifically about my particular app (i.e. they hadn't looked at the actual application). I was under the impression that they'll only do that after you've been rejected and not during the process.

2) Yes, I currently own my own company and have worked in several jobs and a couple of careers.

3) I started a PhD in Chemistry, but left after one year because I couldn't stand the thought of spending my entire life in a dark laboratory by myself for 30 years.
Ok...I'm not sure if you care for my opinion, but I guess at this point wait it out...and then if nothing good comes of it, although I pray it does, talk to the people you need to. I never realized how many people at schools will talk to you. I thought we were just supposed to use the MSAR and stab in the dark and hope for the best, but I had it all wrong.

Also, I'd get people to read your PS on here and give you constructive criticism. I'm sure you know all this, but I'm annoyed that nobody has given you an interview yet :(

Sooooo how'd USF's forum go? I couldn't make it, c'est le vie. :( Details Details!!! :D

Bump.

Also, thought I'd share that I heard that an email was sent out to all people who were accepted to BOTH Miami - main campus and FAU that they have to make a decision by the end of February. Seems like there are a bunch of people who accepted spots at both schools, because they were confused. Anyone in this situation? Anyone confused?

I remember asking what would be done if this happens on my interview day and they just kind of looked at me like, "Why would that happen?". But apparently, quite a few people have not yet made the decision of which campus to attend.

:thumbup: it would be nice if that were the case and opened up a few spots for people from the waitlist

Do you think it was something in your essays or perhaps your LORs that could have set the committees off?? I agree with Dr. Zeke. Talk with adcom directors who've seen your application if you don't get in. Do what they say to do to improve and then reapply and update them with anything new even after you've sent in amcas and secondaries. That's how you get in.

Sooooo how'd USF's forum go? I couldn't make it, c'est le vie. :( Details Details!!! :D

I wasn't able to make it but if you want to go to one of them, there's still one coming up this Saturday in Gainesville.

Hmm that sucks. See the other post I made.

:thumbup: it would be nice if that were the case and opened up a few spots for people from the waitlist
Yeah...have you written a letter of intent/update or are you just waiting for the waitlist to move?

Yeah...have you written a letter of intent/update or are you just waiting for the waitlist to move?

nah, I haven't sent in anything yet. I won't have any updates since i'm staying in the same job and I'm not in school so I have no new grades or anything. I am planning on writing on a letter of intent at some point but I really dont know much about how any of that works... so I've been putting it off. When is the best time to send it so it is most effective and what kinds of info do I need to include??

nah, I haven't sent in anything yet. I won't have any updates since i'm staying in the same job and I'm not in school so I have no new grades or anything. I am planning on writing on a letter of intent at some point but I really dont know much about how any of that works... so I've been putting it off. When is the best time to send it so it is most effective and what kinds of info do I need to include??
I was told to send as soon as possible. I have so much **** to update with I don't even know what to do. LOL I also have started volunteering. In addition, I want to express my interest...

I thought they encouraged letters of intent at Miami main campus. I just don't know what to do, because my gut says miami but my brain says Boca.

Status
Not open for further replies.