mean phone call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prznpremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I called a school to see if they received a letter I sent them (I swear I'm polite on the phone) and the guy sounded like talking to me was the bane of his existence and then hung up on me!

I understand this is a humbling process... but come on....

:mad:

anyone else had lame experiences like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the times I have called school to check on my status I have picked up that type of tone with the person on the other end. Yes, I understand a billion applicants call you a day which is why I make sure to call during the hours they tell you to call and I still get the same tone..

Members don't see this ad :)
i never had anyone hang up on me but the people at Drexel were very curt
sorry it happened to u!

sorry it happened to u!

Drexel takes 1 month (or more...that's if they ever answer) to answer an e-mail. When you do that, you shouldn't get mad when someone calls your office, if they need a response, you know, within the same calendar year.

yup I got that same thing from nymc during my last application cycle....dude straight hung up on me....you think for $100 we could get a little bit of customer service

i think someone needs to make a "Why we hate drexel" thread

yup I got that same thing from nymc during my last application cycle....dude straight hung up on me....you think for $100 we could get a little bit of customer service

I mean don't these people know that the secondaries aren't cheap, so they owe answering our questions at the very least.

:smuggrin:

The guy that answers the phone at Drexel is RUDE and not helpful at all. I get more help whenever the lady picks up since she's willing to look into my file. THe guy just gives me a response that was totally false. I think he just makes things up so that he can get rid of you.

how'd you know it was drexel?

:)

because i had called them to ask if i should email or mail an update and the guy at the other end sounded extremely exaperated and annoyed with me. i don't even think he responded when i said bye....

and that is why i am debating if i should go to their interview or not...i'm not sure if i would pick them over UMaryland where i finally got the letter from today :D

The guy that answers the phone at Drexel is RUDE and not helpful at all. I get more help whenever the lady picks up since she's willing to look into my file. THe guy just gives me a response that was totally false. I think he just makes things up so that he can get rid of you.

wow that's good information to know.... don't they realize it makes people NOT WANT TO GO TO YOUR SCHOOL :smuggrin:

i guess they dont care because they will still end up filling up their class....

yeah, last year when i applied to drexel i called a few times. the lady (or ladies?) were always extremely pleasant. the guy, however, was extremely rude, and yes, he makes stuff up just to get rid of you. i called a week later with the same question and the lady gave me the correct information.

this cycle i thought that the admissions lady at evms was terrible. apparently she would rather get into an argument than take 30 seconds to open my folder and check something for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I called a school to see if they received a letter I sent them (I swear I'm polite on the phone) and the guy sounded like talking to me was the bane of his existence and then hung up on me!

sorry it happened to u!

Drexel takes 1 month (or more...that's if they ever answer) to answer an e-mail. When you do that, you shouldn't get mad when someone calls your office, if they need a response, you know, within the same calendar year.

how'd you know it was drexel?

:)

i think someone needs to make a "Why we hate drexel" thread

because i had called them to ask if i should email or mail an update and the guy at the other end sounded extremely exaperated and annoyed with me. i don't even think he responded when i said bye....

and that is why i am debating if i should go to their interview or not...i'm not sure if i would pick them over UMaryland where i finally got the letter from today :D

wow that's good information to know.... don't they realize it makes people NOT WANT TO GO TO YOUR SCHOOL :smuggrin:

i guess they dont care because they will still end up filling up their class....

I called drexel a few times during the cycle: Once in the summer to ask them a question about the secondary, and twice to check status...the calls were months apart. EVERY SINGLE TIME I called they were nasty to me. I withdrew my app after an interview invitation. I'm planning to write a letter to the dean of admissions telling him or her that their staff sucks, and THAT is the main reason I didn't want to interview (plus, I got into a state school that i'd rather go to anyway...but he/she doesn't know that)

yeah, last year when i applied to drexel i called a few times. the lady (or ladies?) were always extremely pleasant. the guy, however, was extremely rude, and yes, he makes stuff up just to get rid of you. i called a week later with the same question and the lady gave me the correct information.

this cycle i thought that the admissions lady at evms was terrible. apparently she would rather get into an argument than take 30 seconds to open my folder and check something for me.

it would be great to know what hours that guy from drexel and that lady at evms are working just to avoid them

I have to agree with "Waiting4Drexel" the EVMS admissions ladies are terrible! They are rude, condescending, and rarely provide the info. you need. I would attribute this to catching someone on a bad day - however, my fellow applicants all consistently state that with each attempted contact, they too are dismissed by the staff. My experience is through this cycle only and compared to other schools where the office staff has been helpful and courteous (i.e. Pitt and UCSF) - I am very disappointed. And yes, it does make me think twice about going to EVMS.

all this talk about drexel and I have to chime in. Way back when I sent in my payment. There I was waiting, waiting, I finally call, they LOST MY PAYMENT. I was like WTF it was online and credit card!!! They asked me to reforward them the receipt and I was pretty nice about it so I did, but once I got my acceptance I withdrew consideration from them, thank g@d

all this talk about drexel and I have to chime in. Way back when I sent in my payment. There I was waiting, waiting, I finally call, they LOST MY PAYMENT. I was like WTF it was online and credit card!!! They asked me to reforward them the receipt and I was pretty nice about it so I did, but once I got my acceptance I withdrew consideration from them, thank g@d
Here's my input about Drexel. This school LOST my secondary. Yes, they lost it. I tried to do the secondary online, it didnt work and so I called them and some guy told me to fill out the hard copy version. I kept waiting and waiting and didnt hear anything and then I called them and they said they received it and I just had to wait. I waited, and called them again and guess what, they said they didnt receive anything from me except the primary. By this time, I already got in a few schools so I decided to ignore it and let it go. I agree with some posts earlier about one guy at Drexel. He did make up things to get rid of you and he was rude on the phone. Seriously, we should send a complain to the Dean.

Here's my input about Drexel. This school LOST my secondary. Yes, they lost it. I tried to do the secondary online, it didnt work and so I called them and some guy told me to fill out the hard copy version. I kept waiting and waiting and didnt hear anything and then I called them and they said they received it and I just had to wait. I waited, and called them again and guess what, they said they didnt receive anything from me except the primary

wow, that is a crazy story. Glad to hear you got into elsewhere. I can't believe a school would treat an applicant that way.

I was having the hardest time with Emory's Financial Aid office. I got a call from my parents last week that they received a letter from the Financial Aid office requesting my taxes, etc. The letter, however, was supposedly dates back in February, and was wet, torn, and had been stamped/returned/resent at least 3 times. Meanwhile, I had turned in my W-2's, taxes, etc. over 2 weeks ago and all this week have been trying to get them to acknowledge that it was received (was told I'd be getting a call back - ha ha ha). Finally I just faxed it in to force them to mark me complete. Who knows where the hard copies of my tax information are though - what a great thing to have floating around in an age of identity theft.

Drexel: 1) going on 11 weeks post-interview, still haven't been reviewed (WTF), my status page still says "schedule an interview" (i have a bad feeling they a f*ed up my file)
2) They don't respond to emails
3) I have been hung up on several times :)confused: )
4) Person who answers the phone is useless and has given me false info on a few occasions

ARGH

Here's my input about Drexel. This school LOST my secondary. Yes, they lost it. I tried to do the secondary online, it didnt work and so I called them and some guy told me to fill out the hard copy version. I kept waiting and waiting and didnt hear anything and then I called them and they said they received it and I just had to wait. I waited, and called them again and guess what, they said they didnt receive anything from me except the primary. By this time, I already got in a few schools so I decided to ignore it and let it go. I agree with some posts earlier about one guy at Drexel. He did make up things to get rid of you and he was rude on the phone. Seriously, we should send a complain to the Dean.

Interesting - this happened to me a few years ago as well. How nice to see that they haven't changed...:rolleyes: Yeah, they said that they lost my application, but, oddly enough, the check that was included to cover the secondary fee managed to clear with no problem whatsoever.... How mysterious!!

Once you get in somewhere, you might consider calling the dean of admissions at this school. The dean probably has no clue how rude the office staff is being, but, really - the staff is your first glimpse of the school. If that's negative, then they're not doing the school any favors. Terrible, rude office staff can really impact someone's impression of the school, and a responsible dean of admissions should address that.

I just withdrew from Drexel for all of the reasons mentioned above. I called several months back after they did not respond to my email. The guy rudely told me that the answer to my question could be found by using their online status check. How about NO! Their entire application process is screwed up. I got denied a few weeks back from their MD/PHD program but was informed that I would be notified separately in regard to the MD program. By the way, I only applied MD. It is nice to say, though, that "I reject you, Drexel!"

I have to agree with "Waiting4Drexel" the EVMS admissions ladies are terrible! They are rude, condescending, and rarely provide the info. you need. I would attribute this to catching someone on a bad day - however, my fellow applicants all consistently state that with each attempted contact, they too are dismissed by the staff. My experience is through this cycle only and compared to other schools where the office staff has been helpful and courteous (i.e. Pitt and UCSF) - I am very disappointed. And yes, it does make me think twice about going to EVMS.

I want to second that about Pitt. I've always found there staff to be very helpful. We really only have a few person-to-person contacts with a school, and right or wrong, these interactions can really color our view of a school.

I'm sure that it can be hard to work in an admissions office and deal with all the calls, but there's no reason to be rude.

The only school where I experienced rudeness was UNC. Basically, the said they'd be in contact with me within two weeks to schedule the interview after the verified my residency. I called after 3 weeks to ask about the status of my residency verification so I could schedule the interview, at which point I was told "You know, you're not the only applicant"
That really pissed me off because this was the first time I had called the admissions office, and it was just rude. All my subsequent interactions with the office have been great, so I chalked it up to someone having a bad day. But seriously, first impressions are strong and long lasting. It just served to make me appreciate the amazing staff at Duke even more.

I wouldn't want to take the gal at Jefferson out to lunch...that's for sure.

The same thing happened to me. I wrote them an email about it and they didn't respond until I wrote another email telling them I would cancel the credit card payment since they never took my secondary application.

wow all this Drexel bashing

I def had the bad experience I mentioned above but i also had a good experience when I was confused about how to schedule the interview and the people were really nice and helped me navigate the website even though it was my slowness for not getting it. That being said tho, I was also on hold for 30 minutes and continually transferred around before I got that information.

But now hearing all this, having an acceptance I want, and the fact that I would be interviewing so late that I'd prolly only get waitlisted if I ever heard back (second week of April), I am thinking of withdrawing from the interview....What do you guys think?

You guys need to chill on the hatorade. Allow me to address some of the issues I commonly see here on SDN's PreAllo.

"OMG THEY TAKE FOREVER TO MAKE THEIR DECISION / IVE BEEN WAITING FOR 5 YEARS / THEY TOOK SO LONG I NO LONGER VALUE THEM"
------------------------
I know you're wondering why it sometimes takes Drexel a while to make a decision about your file... what you dont seem to realize is that this school receives over 10,000 applications a year. This year it's close to 12,000.

Now... Drexel's adcom could either spend 5 minutes making a decision about you, or they could put in more time and make a fair assessment about your life-long dream. I guess some of you would prefer a rapid, 5 minute decision, which would probably compromise you, because it's really easy to flat-reject people in 5 minutes and a lot harder to flat-accept them. Personally, if I were in your shoes (and believe me, I once was), I would prefer that a lot of time and thought were invested in my file so that I could get a fair assessment. Do you really want someone to decide your future in 5 minutes?

Now that you realize it takes time to review application files, you can PROBABLY envision the sort of backlog that you'd have on your hands with 12,000 applicants and thousands of interview evaluations to go over. At least, I would hope intelligent, mature individuals like yourselves could understand that.

My word of advice is simply to apply early, when backlog hasn't built up. If your application is late, it shouldn't be a huge surprise to learn that it can take a while to hear back. Now, *maybe* if you apply to a smaller school (or state school), you can get away with a late application and a faster response - but again, you need to think about the logistics of 12,000 applications at Drexel, versus say, 5,000 at a smaller school.

"I GET SUCH MEAN RESPONSES ON THE PHONE / NOBODY ANSWERS MY QUESTIONS / THE STAFF SUCKS!"
------------------------
First of all, it's unfair to say that the whole staff "sucks" because you had one or two unpleasant phone call encounters. This comment reflects really poorly on you. You could act like an adult instead of making such childish complaints and bad-mouthing the school like an anonymous coward on the internet. Secondly, I happen to know some of the adcom staff (including the people who answer the phone), and I can attest to the fact that in person, these people are friendly, funny, hard-working, and cool as hell.

Now, let's do some math to realize a couple things. Again, we need to begin by realizing how many of you applicants there are. 12,000. Let's say, throughout the entire application cycle, 60% of you make a phone or email inquiry. This is a pretty fair and conservative estimate as far as I'm concerned... 40% of the applicants never once making a call or asking a question? Let's say that's reasonable. So, 7200 applicants will make a call or email at some point from August onward during the application year. Now, looking at the calendar, between August and May, there are roughly 200 business days (M-F, excluding holidays) where the Office of Admissions is open and buzzing with activity. Assuming that those 7200 applicants only ask a question *once* during their entire application cycle, that comes out to 36 unique questions a day. That alone is not so bad, but often times you get people who ask the same question multiple times, or call in more than once during the whole application year, driving this estimate up astronomically.

Now imagine if you had to go through all those inquiries. I'm sure that you, as a mature, intelligent, and empathetic individual, can understand and relate to the kind of frusturation that someone might have when seeing the same question asked over and over again. Or when people ask a question that could have been answered on their own (e.g. "Where can I make hotel reservations // can I get a student discount").

Now I apologize if your email or phone call question was a honest-to-God valid question - ie., something that you couldnt really answer on your own and you needed administrative information on the adcom's end. The thing is, just as there are good questions that need immediate attention, there are also BAD questions that are asinine ("So, I haven't heard back in forever... am I going to get an interview!?") and those questions clog up the whole process.

FINAL THOUGHTS
------------------------
My classmates and I are not blind to your concerns and to the statements we read here on SDN. We are passionate about our school, and we care about our classmates and our school's image.

It's very tiresome to read the negativity that SDN generates about Drexel. A lot of things I read around here are a gross misrepresentation about this school. I can go into further detail about that, but perhaps this post is already long enough. The final thing I wanted to say is that there is a lot of hearsay. I'm sure you're all independent thinkers who can use objective reasoning. The only thing I ask is that, if you are going to form an opinion about something, do not allow hearsay to be the only thing that leads your thoughts.

To those of you who make negative and/or insulting comments about my school, I think you should ask yourself how that reflects on you and your level of maturity.

And you're telling us this because? It does not change the fact that many of us have been addressed in a rude manner by the Drexel admissions staff. Drexel is not the only school that is overwhelmed with applicants; it is the only one that left a bad taste in my mouth. As for painting a false portrait of the school, that was never the intention. Nobody ever mentioned a thing about whether it's a good school, though some did acknowledge that it was admittedly tough to get past the first impression. You should be thankful that such information has been brought to light. As for cowardice, perhaps some join these forums because they can speak under the cloak of anonymity. Then again, is it cowardly to speak frankly about one's experience? I think not. Drexel is obviously a good school with caring individuals. You are certainly one of them, or you would not have responded so vocally. Please realize, though, that SDN is not going to influence the nation's opinion of Drexel. It would be neat if we were taken so seriously.

And you're telling us this because? It does not change the fact that many of us have been addressed in a rude manner by the Drexel admissions staff. Drexel is not the only school that is overwhelmed with applicants; it is the only one that left a bad taste in my mouth. As for painting a false portrait of the school, that was never the intention. Nobody ever mentioned a thing about whether it's a good school, though some did acknowledge that it was admittedly tough to get past the first impression. You should be thankful that such information has been brought to light. As for cowardice, perhaps some join these forums because they can speak under the cloak of anonymity. Then again, is it cowardly to speak frankly about one's experience? I think not. Drexel is obviously a good school with caring individuals. You are certainly one of them, or you would not have responded so vocally. Please realize, though, that SDN is not going to influence the nation's opinion of Drexel. It would be neat if we were taken so seriously.

The big-H school this year received almost 6K applications, and yet they only took ~2 days to respond to my e-mail status check. In a nice manner, may I add.

So I concur that numbers don't excuse rude manners and bad service. If they don't have enough staff...well, HIRE MORE PEOPLE (preferrably nice, competent people, too). If they have such a high number of applicants I'm sure they can afford it, since they seem to be so popular.

You make many valid points crazycavalier. I suppose since I applied to many schools and have, for the most part, been treated well during the process, those nasty encounters stick out in my mind. While I can sympathize with the workload of the staff, I still have a low tolerance for rudeness. I try to remind myself when having a rough day that each person I interact with likely doesn't have the full story for my rotten attitude of that moment. In professional settings, I feel it is important to "check" that behavior before each encounter. This is very difficult, but I think it is vital for social relationships (and something I keep in mind when shadowing doctors and having my own interactions with patients). Perhaps I have a high standard for tact and attitudes in professional settings, but it would be nice if the staff would just be kinder during the process. After all, this process is no walk in the park for applicants either -the money, the stress, the chance of our dreams being shattered by one letter - I've found my first grey hairs during the last few months!

Thank you for the post - I'll try to keep my whining/bashing to a minimum :)

The big-H school this year received almost 6K applications, and yet they only took ~2 days to respond to my e-mail status check. In a nice manner, may I add.

So I concur that numbers don't excuse rude manners and bad service. If they don't have enough staff...well, HIRE MORE PEOPLE (preferrably nice, competent people, too). If they have such a high number of applicants I'm sure they can afford it, since they seem to be so popular.

agree with this...i've called into schools who've had just as many applicants or more than drexel, and had absolutely pleasant conversations. sorry if any drexel students or staff are offended here, but people on sdn didn't join specifically to bash drexel, it just seems like there are numerous bad experiences that people have to share. a good school would actually take these opinions into account, and make some changes within the organization. let's hope drexel does that

Maybe it's a Philadelphia thing.

Fluffyans are the rudest people I've ever dealt with. I was reminded this again when I recently had the displeasure of having to catch a connecting flight in Philly. Even the baggage screeners were extra-rude-as-hell.

Ugh, that city makes my skin crawl.

Yeah, I think the thing with Drexel is that they know they're going to get as many applications as they get, so they should be prepared for it. It's not like they were expecting 5000 apps and got 10000 instead.

Hey the Jefferson admissions director (Elizabeth) visited Penn today and she said that someone should inform her if "the lady" (who I guess takes many of the calls) is rude.

Just thought I should let y'all know

wow all this Drexel bashing

I def had the bad experience I mentioned above but i also had a good experience when I was confused about how to schedule the interview and the people were really nice and helped me navigate the website even though it was my slowness for not getting it. That being said tho, I was also on hold for 30 minutes and continually transferred around before I got that information.

But now hearing all this, having an acceptance I want, and the fact that I would be interviewing so late that I'd prolly only get waitlisted if I ever heard back (second week of April), I am thinking of withdrawing from the interview....What do you guys think?

I am in the same boat, I will not be attending this interview.

To the poster with the long post, ive interviewed at many schools, dealt with many admissions folks, and it isnt acceptable just beacause they recieved a ton of applications to treat us like that. We paid them didnt we? They accepted all those applications, and surely accepted every dime. We deserve to be respectfully treated, to be answered in a kind fashion, to be told when we have interviews, to not take our payment and then say we dont know where it went, to submit our secondary once and have it show up online instead of chasing the admissions officials down, and god damn it, we deserve for them to answer our emails eventually (they never emailed me back once). If you don't like dealing with tons of medical students, then YOU DONT NEED TO WORK IN THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE.

Maybe it's a Philadelphia thing.

Fluffyans are the rudest people I've ever dealt with. I was reminded this again when I recently had the displeasure of having to catch a connecting flight in Philly. Even the baggage screeners were extra-rude-as-hell.

Ugh, that city makes my skin crawl.

YES! I interviewed in Nashville, but had to make a connection in Philly, and the plane got delayed and I didn't get in until the day of my interview. When I was talking to my interviewers, they all gave me horrible experiences in philly's airport, and specifically US Airways there. lol

I agree that there is no excuse for rudeness...

A vast amount of applicants does not give anyone the right to be rude and resort to hanging up on someone..the reason the people at the front desk are hired is because they are PAID to ANSWER THE PHONE! I dont care how many applicants you receive per year..if your job is to answer the phone/questions/inquiries an applicant may have...then do it in a respectful manner...afterall, the people at the front desk applied for that particular job didnt they? No one forced them to work there. Now Im also human..and i understand how frustrating it can be to deal with us pre-meds..i know this..and I know that it must piss them off at the front desk to answer soooo many calls, especially, redundant questions..but still..they should treat others the same way they want to be treated..If being rude was justifiable then physicians should be the first one's to be rude to someone since they see plenty of patients per day/week/month/year..but still they must remain cordial so they dont make the patient feel uncomfortable..so come on..if a doctor can do it..im sure someone with LESS responsibilities can also dish out respect as well...

I wouldn't want to take the gal at Jefferson out to lunch...that's for sure.

If you had a bad experience with the admissions staff at Jeff, at the end of the application cycle (i.e. when she's not so busy), send a quick email to the director of admissions outlining your experience. They're pretty receptive to constructive criticism of staff, interviewers, and students.

My classmates and I are not blind to your concerns and to the statements we read here on SDN. We are passionate about our school, and we care about our classmates and our school's image.

It's very tiresome to read the negativity that SDN generates about Drexel. A lot of things I read around here are a gross misrepresentation about this school. I can go into further detail about that, but perhaps this post is already long enough. The final thing I wanted to say is that there is a lot of hearsay. I'm sure you're all independent thinkers who can use objective reasoning. The only thing I ask is that, if you are going to form an opinion about something, do not allow hearsay to be the only thing that leads your thoughts.

To those of you who make negative and/or insulting comments about my school, I think you should ask yourself how that reflects on you and your level of maturity.

I think that it's wonderful that you're so passionate about your school. But you're not helping Drexel's image either. It's fine to vent your frustration on the "negative stereotypes" that exist about Drexel. But it would be even better if you helped actually address the source of these stereotypes.

Look, when I applied to med school a few years ago, I had the same complaints about Drexel. They lost my 2ndary application - and YES, I applied very early in the cycle. (Maybe that was the problem.) And this was a few years ago, when Drexel was receiving fewer applications than it did this year. When I called to ask the admissions office about what the delay was, she couldn't have cared less - her answer was "Well, you obviously didn't send it. Or else you did, and it's lost."

Now maybe I asked a stupid, frequently asked question. But, under the circumstances, I think that I had a right to ask it! - it had been months without even a confirmation that they'd received my application. That, by itself, would have been bad enough, but what really left a bad taste in my mouth is that, even though the rest of my application had vanished, the check that I included to cover the application fee was still deposited. What made it even better was that, a few months after my application had disappeared, Drexel had the gall to send me a brochure, inviting me to apply to their other health science graduate programs, like it was some kind of great consolation prize. (The brochure said something about since I was unsuccessful with my med school app this year, I should try the other health sciences. Something along those lines.) What was even weirder about that was that I hadn't even received a rejection letter. (I never did receive one, actually.) Under the circumstances, yes, I was very glad that I was not going to Drexel.

But you know what's really bad about the situation that I've just described? In the intervening couple of years, things have clearly not changed. I am sure that you are passionate about your school, and that you're not turning a blind eye to all this. But, by complaining that it's "tiresome" to read negative comments about Drexel, and never asking yourself if maybe there's a valid reason for this, you're not helping your cause - it just comes off as defensive, without being interested in improvement. That doesn't speak well for Drexel either. Furthermore, based on what I know of the school, that does not describe the general atmosphere/overall student attitude at all, so I feel that you are doing your school a real injustice.

Since you clearly have an "in" with the school, maybe a better approach would be to share insider tips on how to successfully navigate the admissions office. I'm sure that people would be really grateful for any advice you can share.

Yeah, I think the thing with Drexel is that they know they're going to get as many applications as they get, so they should be prepared for it. It's not like they were expecting 5000 apps and got 10000 instead.
Furthermore, more applications = more money. Hire more staff, people! Close to 12,000 applications x $100 per secondary = $1.2 million. You could hire 30 people and pay them $40,000 each. Now they only have to answer the phone twice a day.

Okay, but really, if this many people are having a problem, then it's probably not the applicants that are the problem.

smq123, I havent received a rejection letter from Drexel either. Plus, I applied pretty early. I finished my secondary at Drexel in August, which I believe is pretty early. So this behavior on the phone of some staff is not due to having too many applications and answering redundant questions. We are the ones paying the secondaries, which means we pay them to process our application. We are the ones paying for their salaries. And who will pay money to get treated like we're begging them to do us some favor? :mad:

Crazy_cavalier (and others too):
I agree with the general point of your post. Drexel does get a relatively bad rap on SDN, most of it undeserved, although some of it is understandable. I actually have been accepted at Drexel and will be matriculating there come August (barring any unexpected developments). I love this school. I am impressed with the facilities, impressed with the faculty and staff, and even very impressed by how welcome the admissions staff, interviewers, and current students made me feel during my interview day. While I have not been on a lot of medical school interviews, my experience interviewing at Drexel was everything that I hoped it would be. Also, each time that I have called (about 3 times I think) I have received a pleasant and helpfull response from the staff on the phone (but was always a female that I spoke with).

I have to confess though, I have consistently heard that many people suffer rudeness from the admissions staff and complications with their applications. This seems to me much more prevalent with Drexel than with other schools. As other posters have pointed out, most all schools are swamped with applications and have to face the same type of student phone calls and inquiries on a daily basis, so this should not be a justification for one particular school to be more curt with applicants than others.

Some of the reasons why Drexel has probably been singled out by SDNers in this respect:

1. They were one of the last ones to make their secondary available (not the last, but among the last). This, combined with the fact that more SDNers applied to Drexel than to any other school, started off things on a less than happy note. Not a big deal really, since a school has the right to send out apps whenever it wants. But neurotic pre-meds may start to wonder if they just fell through the cracks, or if the app just hasn't been sent to anyone. Thus, phone calls.

2. When the secondary became available, the browser compatability was all screwed up and there were various combinations of problems for many applicants. These include: problems with saving the application, problems with submission, problems uploading photos, problems entering in and sending secondary fees, problems with the system locking up, and even problems with submitted applications (or parts of applications) dissappearing and showing up in the status update as not submitted (even happened to me). Talk about frustrating for a nervous pre-med! Bring on the phone calls and emails ....

3. The status updates do not always reflect the correct status of one's application. Many times information doesn't show up for a long time, if at all. Leading to confusion and ..... more phone calls/emails. Understandable because for many of us, this is our ultimate dream and we do not want to take any chances with being lost in the shuffle just because we didn't take the time to follow up.

4. It takes forever to get an email response to a question, if in fact a response ever comes at all. Rendering this mode of communication unreliable at best. I even had a couple email questions that were never responded to (important one's like .... why does my application show that it is incomplete now when I submitted it and it showed being complete over a month ago?). This leads to more phone calls too.

5. The process of interview invitation is unpredictable and uncertain (perhaps moreso than usual for themed school process). I actually never even got an interview invite, a link suddenly appeared on my status page in an unexpected place. So I clicked it and scheduled. To this day I have not received an invite or even the digital brochure that they sent out to some students about interview day and hotel accomodations and such. This prompted phone calls from a number of people no doubt, to verify that the link was correct.

6. Many people have apparently experienced rudeness and/or incorrect information being provided by the admissions staff during phone calls about the above issues (and other issues). I can understand why these issues would wear on the admission staff though, because most of them are probably out of their control and are largely IT problems. So there is understandable frustration from both the students and admissions sides. (and i'm sure a number of students come across as rude or frustrated on the phone as well).

7. There are mysterious status page changes that seem to correlate with certain steps of application progess. Yet no official verfication is typically provided. For example, the "View Your Interview Appointment" link dissapears from a candidate's web page at about the same time that their application is reviewed by the committee and a decision is rendered. The following week or so, the decision letter is typed out and applicant receives their decision within about 2-3 weeks or so from the time that the link dissapears. Maybe its just a freaky coincidence? But it certainly has held true for most everyone on SDN that has discussed it.

These are just some of the frustrating parts of the Drexel process that have been vented about on SDN. Any one by themselves is no big deal. But the whole thing, together with the rudeness factor, really puts some people off.

In Drexel's defense, it is my understanding that this is the first year that they are trying out a new admission system. So there are inevitable glitches that need to be worked out. So we should cut them some slack. Additionally, because the school is so very popular among applicants, particularly among SDN, they really are probably more swamped than most schools. Bottom line is that the application process is long, frustrating, and unpredictable no matter what school one applies to. So we should take the school for what it is and try not to judge just based on long-distance interactions with a few staff members.

After all, I had a pretty pleasant experience through the whole process (after getting through troubles with my application submission) and have not faced any rudeness issues with Drexel. So I don't think that the negative interactions that some people have had really represent a systemic problem on this point. I have met some of the staff in person, and they all seemed very nice and helpfull.

Regarding EVMS:

Many of the same concerns about rudeness have also been expressed in this thread about EVMS. However, I would like to throw in my experience as a representation of one person that has had only positive and pleasant experiences with this staff as well (both on the phone and in person). Maybe it's just the way I talk/interact with them, or perhaps I have just been fortunate through the process to have not come across unhelpfull situations at any of my schools this cycle. Dunno. But I am sorry that some of you have had unpleasant experiences.

The Drexel guy is a dick, pure and simple. The lady on the other hand is much helpful.

My vote for dickish admissions staff also goes to NYMC and Temple.

so i posted earlier about my negative experiences with the guy at drexel last year. however, it should not be a deciding factor in whether or not you should go to the interview. sure, if you got in to a school you think is more desirable, by all means, withdraw (and then maybe i can get another interview this year :D ). when i went to the interview last year, i was pleasantly surprised as to how nice the faculty, staff, and students were. it really left a great impression on me, and i would have definitely been happy to go there if i had gotten off of the waitlist.