Plain MS vs. Sexy SMP's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maxwell Edison

Majoring In Medicine
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any benefit inherent to SMP's over a conventional MS program? I am currently in the midst of planning for ways to bolster my next application, and I think that to do all the things I want to do I will be best served to take a MS over the course of threeish semesters as opposed to the wham-bam-thank you ma'am intensity of the quick SMP's. Is there some kind of positive bias towards SMP's/negative biases against MS's?

If time is the only concern, I'm not sweating it. I plan to live well into my 200's, which means that I will have plenty of time to be a doctor.

Members don't see this ad.

Maxwell Edison, majoring in medicine calls her on the phone...

Sorry, that was not helpful to you at all. Just had to give you a :thumbup: on the user name and wonderful avatar.

Is there any benefit inherent to SMP's over a conventional MS program? I am currently in the midst of planning for ways to bolster my next application, and I think that to do all the things I want to do I will be best served to take a MS over the course of threeish semesters as opposed to the wham-bam-thank you ma'am intensity of the quick SMP's. Is there some kind of positive bias towards SMP's/negative biases against MS's?

If time is the only concern, I'm not sweating it. I plan to live well into my 200's, which means that I will have plenty of time to be a doctor.
Somewhat. Some of the more reputable programs have you sit in classes with med students so you (and future ADCOMs) know you have experienced med school-type classes and can do well in that environment (presumably). Georgetown has an example of this. Other programs have different affiliations, where upon completion of the program you matriculate into med school. These are reserved for underserved minorities, and Creighton has one of these. In general you'd probably be better served by going through a SMP because it's more directed to med school, as opposed to a MS, which could focus on anything and is of less certain quality, which is why it's looked upon by ADCOMs as less impressive.

Post-med school, you could argue that the MS would look better, especially if you have pubs. It all comes down to what you want.

By the way, you have a good outlook on the time-scale of things!

Members don't see this ad :)
SMPs are mostly notoriously expensive as well, correct? Of course, it's only expensive for one year, whereas a traditional master's may be cheaper but is twice as long. So I suppose it depends specifically on each program you're looking at. If money isn't a big factor, than I guess these criteria won't play into the equation for you. I don't know how strapped for dough a future 200-year old demigod is.

I don't know how strapped for dough a future 200-year old demigod is.

I have good enough credit to secure loans. But this goes back to while I'm being a doctor for 1/4 of forever: I'm sure I'll gather enough pennies to pay it all back.

So just to clarify; the normal MS is looked upon less favorably simply because it is not coursework taken with Med School Freshmen? I know that many SMP's have you rubbing elbows with them, but is that really the issue? I would think that knocking a bunch of grad classes dead with A's would readily show that you can hack it (and that's what it's all about anyway, isn't it)?

I have good enough credit to secure loans. But this goes back to while I'm being a doctor for 1/4 of forever: I'm sure I'll gather enough pennies to pay it all back.

So just to clarify; the normal MS is looked upon less favorably simply because it is not coursework taken with Med School Freshmen? I know that many SMP's have you rubbing elbows with them, but is that really the issue? I would think that knocking a bunch of grad classes dead with A's would readily show that you can hack it (and that's what it's all about anyway, isn't it)?

Well, don't be so sure that getting a 4.0 graduate gpa is an automatic in. Sounds like graduate degrees have grades that are inflated like crazy. You wouldn't believe the amount of people with bad undergrad averages and like 3.9 graduate gpa's. I'm sure adcoms have noticed this trend, and therefore are not bowled over by a really really high graduate gpa. At least with an SMP, they know there is no grade inflation going on, and that getting a 3.9 means you will succeed greatly in medical school (at least first year).

My traditional M.S. helped me in no way, shape, or form.

hey it's the hammer from zelda!

Both graduate level coursework and med school coursework are the same in terms of the fact that they are calculated in your grad GPA. Beyond that, the comparisons between graduate and med school level courses can greatly vary. Med school is more subject intensive (e.g., memorization), while grad school is more research intensive. Getting A's in an SMP's med school curriculum is good since it says you can handle the rigors of the med school courseload. Mainly the basic science classes (e.g., year 1). In contrast, getting all A's in a 1-2 year traditional masters depends on your program.

Clearly, all A's in an english masters program doesn't say much about how well you'll do in med school. But it looks good nonetheless. How good depends on how well you did in other science courses. If you had all A's in a biochemistry masters program, then that can be easier related to med school. Some grad programs are also attached to med schools. My PhD program is like that, thus most of my 1st year curriculum were with med students. My PhD program is obviously not an SMP, but it is quite clear that my classes were med school classes (2nd year med school courses) such as: general pathology, systemic pathology, pharmacology, etc. I took these classes for grade, rather than P/F.

Ultimately it comes down on what you want to do, and what your application looks like. If you have a weak undergraduate GPA, then you would want to provide proof that you can handle a rigorous science courseload. This can be through taking post-bacc upper division undergrad science classes, or an SMP. Graduate school isn't helpful here since it does not boost your GPA, and frequently, the courses are not directly related to med school curriculum. Conversely, if you have proved that you can do well in hard science classes, then an SMP or MS program is fine. No harm no foul doing either. The more important factor is if you enjoy what you are doing.

As RxnMan said, the MS also helps post-MD/DO as well especially if you have publications to prove your capacity to do research. However, one must note that the chances of getting a publication (first/second author) in a masters program is rather low. On average, masters students in our program get 0-1 publications. This is mainly due to the amount of time available. One to 2 years may not be sufficient to complete a project which can be published.

Zolar Czakl said:
Well, don't be so sure that getting a 4.0 graduate gpa is an automatic in. Sounds like graduate degrees have grades that are inflated like crazy. You wouldn't believe the amount of people with bad undergrad averages and like 3.9 graduate gpa's. I'm sure adcoms have noticed this trend, and therefore are not bowled over by a really really high graduate gpa. At least with an SMP, they know there is no grade inflation going on, and that getting a 3.9 means you will succeed greatly in medical school (at least first year).

I wouldn't assume anything about any program (undergrad, graduate, professional) unless you have experienced it yourself. Like every school, program, and individual, the difficulty of a program is dependent on MANY factors. To assume that graduate degrees have grades that are "inflated like crazy" is naive. Additionally, getting a 4.0 in ANY program doesn't equal admission either. As stated above, my PhD program includes med school courses, and have an overall GPA of 4.0, however I still take classes while finishing my PhD thesis since there is never any guarantee.

Grad level courses can be easier, just as hard, or harder then their med school counterparts. For example, I was fortunate enough to take grad level and med school level biochemistry. The grad level class was HARD. The med school class was EASY since it was everything I learned as an undergrad biochem major. This is at a University of California med school. I took grad level pharmacology, and then took med school level pharmacology. Grad level pharmacology was reaction intensive. You better know your OChem. While med school pharmacology merely brushed over the nucleophilic reactions, and emphasized on the clinical aspects as one would expect.

The reason why graduate GPA is "inflated" is because students are EXPECTED to do well. This isn't merely words, its usually defined by policy. You can be dismissed from the program for getting just 1 B-. Here at UC, a GPA of <3.0 puts you on academic probation. Note that a B- is a 2.7 GPA. Additionally, to receive money through grants, you usually have to maintain a 3.5 GPA. The average GPA in my program is probably a 3.5-3.65. Admissions committee members also take this into account. Lastly, some med schools do reward those with high grad GPAs. UC Davis gives you an extra application point for having a grad GPA of >3.8. They do the same if you have an undergrad GPA of >3.7. In closing, and in contrast to an SMP, doing well in the first year does provide an image that you can do well in 1st year med school classes. However the 1st year med school classes are mainly basic sciences. The workload might be great, but the difficulty of the subject material is as hard as the program you compare it to. I challenge anyone to do a masters (or PhD) in biomedical engineering, or chemical engineering, and say its "easy". Adcoms know that. Its a pretty well known concept that certain grad level programs are quite challenging (more so than basic science med school classes). In fact, my PI, an alumnus from UCSF School of Medicine, and also MD/PhD credited grad school as being harder than med school.

None? Why? Your signature suggests that it didn't hinder your efforts...what about it made it a valueless flop?

1. It didn't help my UG GPA (though I doubt that SMP offers that perk) which was only a 3.5 (3.1 BCMP). Grad GPA's don't mean much to adcoms because traditional grad programs aren't in the habit of giving sub-B grades.

2. It subtracted from time that could have been spent in clinical opportunities.

3. It added no knowledge relevant to medical school. As a med student now, I draw only on knowledge from UG classes.

4. The rec letters that I picked up were from basic science faculty, and the med schools in my region prefer to give weight to a standard pre-med committee letter anyway.

5. It was unnecessarily expensive and did nothing but drive me into debt further. In fact, the education made me over-qualified for every Bachelor's-level job out there once I finished. Most M.S.-level jobs out there in the basic sciences are management-oriented or at least require some work experience (hence my under-qualification).

I should note that medical school was not my intent at an undegrad. I went into a Ph.D. program to become a scientist and bailed with a Masters after I realized that I would hate being a scientist for the rest of my life.

When I graduated with my M.S., they let me hang around to TA some labs until the state budget couldn't afford me. Then I moved away to find a hospital lab that would let me work 12 hours a week at $11.25/hour setting up cultures and become certified as a med tech after a lengthy period of poverty.

From that, I went on to become a successful med tech. I attempted nursing briefly while trying repeatedly to get into PA school. After being turned down from my current health science center's PA program twice, I said "f it" and went into medicine instead.

Fortunately all the med school wanted was an MCAT score (again, nothing to do with my graduate training). In my state, 32R is plenty to get you in with a small scholarship.

Had I gone to med school out of UG or shortly thereafter like most of my peers, I would be doing better right now with a lot less debt. Sadly, my Masters brings me more shame than anything else.

1. It didn't help my UG GPA (though I doubt that SMP offers that perk) which was only a 3.5 (3.1 BCMP). Grad GPA's don't mean much to adcoms because traditional grad programs aren't in the habit of giving sub-B grades.

2. It subtracted from time that could have been spent in clinical opportunities.

3. It added no knowledge relevant to medical school. As a med student now, I draw only on knowledge from UG classes.

4. The rec letters that I picked up were from basic science faculty, and the med schools in my region prefer to give weight to a standard pre-med committee letter anyway.

5. It was unnecessarily expensive and did nothing but drive me into debt further. In fact, the education made me over-qualified for every Bachelor's-level job out there once I finished. Most M.S.-level jobs out there in the basic sciences are management-oriented or at least require some work experience (hence my under-qualification).

I should note that medical school was not my intent at an undegrad. I went into a Ph.D. program to become a scientist and bailed with a Masters after I realized that I would hate being a scientist for the rest of my life.

When I graduated with my M.S., they let me hang around to TA some labs until the state budget couldn't afford me. Then I moved away to find a hospital lab that would let me work 12 hours a week at $11.25/hour setting up cultures and become certified as a med tech after a lengthy period of poverty.

From that, I went on to become a successful med tech. I attempted nursing briefly while trying repeatedly to get into PA school. After being turned down from my current health science center's PA program twice, I said "f it" and went into medicine instead.

Fortunately all the med school wanted was an MCAT score (again, nothing to do with my graduate training). In my state, 32R is plenty to get you in with a small scholarship.

Had I gone to med school out of UG or shortly thereafter like most of my peers, I would be doing better right now with a lot less debt. Sadly, my Masters brings me more shame than anything else.

Interesting post. Thanks for the straight-up, no chaser, low down on your experiences. Fascinating that you got turned away from many of your goals to arrive at being a successful medical school applicant. C'est la vie.

I've been tossing around different ideas on what to pursue to be more competitive including traditional masters but I had some doubts that were confirmed by you and some of the other posters. Good to get some input here.

Both graduate level coursework and med school coursework are the same in terms of the fact that they are calculated in your grad GPA.......... In fact, my PI, an alumnus from UCSF School of Medicine, and also MD/PhD credited grad school as being harder than med school.

So Relentless... to contrast or compare your point of view to Critical Mass's--What is your bottom line reccomendation for someone with a 3.3 or so who is considering options and who is not enthusiastic about graduate science subject matter. For instance I've always wanted to learn Spanish fluently...what would be compelling reasons not to just rely of my 3.9+ u-grad science gpa and just keep improving my cumulative gpa by pursuing interests like Spanish or History--the one subject I think I would enjoy at the graduate level.

Thanks for your input, here, you guys are providing a wealth of experience to people like me and the OP.

So Relentless... to contrast or compare your point of view to Critical Mass's--What is your bottom line reccomendation for someone with a 3.3 or so who is considering options and who is not enthusiastic about graduate science subject matter. For instance I've always wanted to learn Spanish fluently...what would be compelling reasons not to just rely of my 3.9+ u-grad science gpa and just keep improving my cumulative gpa by pursuing interests like Spanish or History--the one subject I think I would enjoy at the graduate level.

Thanks for your input, here, you guys are providing a wealth of experience to people like me and the OP.

You do a grad program because you LIKE IT, not because you want to spiffy up your GPA, or to have a better chance at getting a higher paying job. You do something because you like it, to do it for other reasons, then you will fail in some form or another. Same applies to med school or even non-science graduate programs. If you want to do spanish or history then go for it. If you need to boost your undergrad GPA during this grad program, you may look into taking more upper division since classes as electives. These classes count on your post-bacc GPA according to AMCAS. This really depends on your program (how busy you are with core courses, research, etc) though.

In all honesty, I am very lucky to be in this program. In contrast with Critical Mass' experience, things are a bit different over here the UC med schools.

(1) For one, as stated, UC Davis (and probably the other UC med schools) reward student with high graduate GPAs. Although I must concede that undergrad GPA is still weighted, it is not due to Critical Mass' reason that grad programs give out A's as if they're free. The real reasons are that grad and undergrad are entirely different, and most people apply with ONLY undergrad GPA. How fair is it to compare a traditional student to one that has a PhD? There has to be some baseline--which in this case would be undergrad GPA and MCAT.

(2) UC med school's and probably most top tier schools are pushing more towards funding students to do more "translational research". There aren't enough MD/PhD's, not enough MD's that do basic science research, and not enough basic science PhD's doing work that can be applied to the clinical world. Therefore research is a big deal these days in the MD world. Case in point, the Howard Hughes Medical Institute program for "integrating biological sciences into medicine". Another example would be the fact that 86-90% students admitted into the UC med schools have research experience. Most still do research while in med school. I'm sure its similar at other schools as well. Therefore, a graduate degree does help, especially in the long run as RxnMan pointed out.

(3) Graduate school can take away from your clinical experience, or give you more. Like with all things, it depends on what you do. My PhD thesis is based on translational research (see above). I work side by side with the clinical team, assess patients, make diagnoses for the research (not for treatment), and consent human subjects based on MY clinical knowledge through guidance by my PI, and attending physicians. In the end, does that mean that I'm a shoe in for med school? Who knows! What I do know is that extracurricular experiences can only go so far. Anyone can exaggerate clinical or extracurricular experiences on their application. However if your GPA or MCAT sucks then it won't get you anywhere anyway.:rolleyes:

(4) Grad school can be a cost-effective way to take more classes. However REMEMBER, taking more classes depends on your program. As a PhD student, I have full fee remission. The school OWES me money, not vice versa. I have been debt free, and if I get into our med school here, my PI has pledged support to pay for my tuition for med school as well. Probably have to sell my soul or something to science but hey...being debt free is great;). My PI is doing this because I am good at what I do, but more importantly I am enthusiastic about what I research on.

Therefore as you can see, the graduate alternative can be a GOOD thing. However its not for everyone for one reason or another. I am lucky to have found such a lab, such a program, and such a research project that will aid me through medical school as well. My classes, as stated previously are from the med school, so I would probably rely on them more than my undergrad work. However the most IMPORTANT THING that has led to my rather positive life as a slave to the University of California, is that I enjoy what I do, and I try to acknowledge all the positives aspects of my pre-med effort. As the saying goes, you get out what you put into it.

If Spanish or History is what floats your boat, then go for it. However if you have a low GPA, then I'd say do something that would boost that up first. It could be by taking undergrad classes during a masters program, or doing a post-bacc. But definitely know what you're getting into--regardless of what route you take. Good luck!

Thanks Relentless, you gave me some solid things to mull over before going forward with more coursework.

Funding was the main reason I was considering traditional masters instead of SMP's. I think the fact that SMP's are charging so much to desperate applicants is a subtle form of extortion. The ethics of driving people into so much debt is questionable to say the least. No offense to those who have gone this route and have been successful. But as you point out, funding alone is not a good enough reason for the indentured servitude and arduous nature of graduate level science. The rewards of such pursuit seem highly individual and it does not surprise me that there is a void in that particular area. When I read bench or highly specific clinical research abstracts I wonder to myself what sort of person could do that day in and day out. But you know...different stroke for different folks. If the science world wasn't so anal, cutthroat, and industry owned it might attract more interest. Most of those premeds with research experience you mention have just bluffed their way past the phd's on the adcoms in my opinion. They are suckers of there own making--by using artificial criteria they get artificial results.

Thanks again for the input.