Reapply vs Postbacc/Special Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pnrxmed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I applied this past cycle (2021-2022) and did not get any interviews. I'm a CA applicant who graduated from UC with Psychology BS. I completed majority of my science classes at a local CC while working multiple jobs since I decided to pursue medicine late in my junior year of college.

cGPA 3.44 sGPA 2.62
MCAT score(s) 500 124/124/123/129

I have another MCAT scheduled for later this May, but honestly haven't been studying for it as much as I should be due to work/family.

Extracurriculars:
ED scribe for almost 5 years
~250 hours volunteering health clinics and hospitals
~150 hours volunteering in homeless shelter
~400 hours research
~6 months as a behavioral interventionist

Other ECs:
Worked in various fast food places since 18, often holding shift leader positions. Did martial arts since 7.

I currently have a test scheduled for mid-May, but might reschedule for a later date since I had work conflicts and family problems. Right now, I'm considering pursuing a SMP vs Post-Bacc or just taking time to study for MCAT to apply for next cycle (2023).

Note: I applied to ~14 schools, most of which were DO.

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would recommend a postbacc and don't take MCAT again until you get through most of that material as your score could be improved by as much as 10 pts.

Never take MCAT when you don't have the time to put properly in it.

Reactions: 1 users
See Goro’s guide to reinvention below:

I would not think about retaking the MCAT right now. You should take classes at a local university and see how that goes. Your 500 on the MCAT was in large part due to the psych/sociology section as that was your major. A 123 on the biology/biochem section corresponds to around the 30th percentile. You will need to see if you can adjust and do well in science courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
A DIY postbacc at a local college would be fine. You need to take enough undergraduate level science courses in order to increase your sGPA to 3.0. That may take 2 years. Do not retake the MCAT until you have taken all your postbacc courses.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello! I applied this past cycle (2021-2022) and did not get any interviews. I'm a CA applicant who graduated from UC with Psychology BS. I completed majority of my science classes at a local CC while working multiple jobs since I decided to pursue medicine late in my junior year of college.

cGPA 3.44 sGPA 2.62
MCAT score(s) 500 124/124/123/129

I have another MCAT scheduled for later this May, but honestly haven't been studying for it as much as I should be due to work/family.

Extracurriculars:
ED scribe for almost 5 years
~250 hours volunteering health clinics and hospitals
~150 hours volunteering in homeless shelter
~400 hours research
~6 months as a behavioral interventionist

Other ECs:
Worked in various fast food places since 18, often holding shift leader positions. Did martial arts since 7.

I currently have a test scheduled for mid-May, but might reschedule for a later date since I had work conflicts and family problems. Right now, I'm considering pursuing a SMP vs Post-Bacc or just taking time to study for MCAT to apply for next cycle (2023).

Note: I applied to ~14 schools, most of which were DO.

Any advice would be great! Thanks!
Your sGPA is lethal for every med school in this country.

Read my post on reinvention for premeds.