Which schools require 2 science letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jochi1543

President, Gunner Central
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to narrow down my list of schools to apply, and since I don't think I can get 2 science letters (got 1, though), I was wondering if anyone can think of any schools that absolutely require 2 of them. I know some schools are flexible if you were not a science major (which is exactly my situation), but I'm looking for ones that are dead-set on it.

As of right now, I know Emory, Johns Hopkins, and Cornell do. Any other schools that come to mind?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to narrow down my list of schools to apply, and since I don't think I can get 2 science letters (got 1, though), I was wondering if anyone can think of any schools that absolutely require 2 of them. I know some schools are flexible if you were not a science major (which is exactly my situation), but I'm looking for ones that are dead-set on it.

As of right now, I know Emory, Johns Hopkins, and Cornell do. Any other schools that come to mind?

Just for you to qualify for med school, you defacto have to have taken more than one science teacher. I know, I know, you didn't bond with any of the others, but something you may want to do is visit one of your old science teachers during their office hours. Explain your situation, and then ask them to interview you for a while whenever they have time. Make sure you make the interview count, that way he'll be more likely to write a better recommendation.

Just for you to qualify for med school, you defacto have to have taken more than one science teacher. I know, I know, you didn't bond with any of the others, but something you may want to do is visit one of your old science teachers during their office hours. Explain your situation, and then ask them to interview you for a while whenever they have time. Make sure you make the interview count, that way he'll be more likely to write a better recommendation.
I've actually been out of school for a while now, and live 1000 miles away. I've had 3 science profs for the classes I had taken back then, 1 is the guy writing me a rec, the 2nd one barely saw me in class (never went to lecture, got an A anyway) and she also left, as she was just a visiting prof, and the 3rd taught me in a brutal physics class, where I barely scraped by to get a B+ - so not really rec letter-worthy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've actually been out of school for a while now, and live 1000 miles away. I've had 3 science profs for the classes I had taken back then, 1 is the guy writing me a rec, the 2nd one barely saw me in class (never went to lecture, got an A anyway) and she also left, as she was just a visiting prof, and the 3rd taught me in a brutal physics class, where I barely scraped by to get a B+ - so not really rec letter-worthy.

How hard did you work to get that B+? If you worked hard, it might be worht looking into.

Makes more sense now.. but it cant hurt to get another recommendation letter instead of limiting your chances at schools. I suspect one recommendation letter that is mediocre will not make much of a difference at all to adcoms, and you'll still be able to apply everywhere.

How hard did you work to get that B+? If you worked hard, it might be worht looking into.
I appreciate the suggestions, but I'm primarily looking for the answer to my question, which was "which schools require 2 science letters."

Makes more sense now.. but it cant hurt to get another recommendation letter instead of limiting your chances at schools. I suspect one recommendation letter that is mediocre will not make much of a difference at all to adcoms, and you'll still be able to apply everywhere.
I have TOO MANY schools right now, I need to narrow the list down.

This is a tough question.

Look on the websites for the schools you're considering applying to. Most, if not all, list what letters they require. :)

On the same subject, I am getting a lor from a postdoc in an academic research lab which I worked in. I was a lab tech working full-time and did experiements that I wouldn't have done as a undergrad, so would this count as a science lor?

Look on the websites for the schools you're considering applying to. Most, if not all, list what letters they require. :)

I thought the de facto standard was to have 2 science letters and 1 non-science?

Well, I figured I'd get some names from SDNers before I go through all the 40+ schools on my list, since it'd make my life easier, but it looks like it won't happen. :laugh:

my friend was in exactly the same situation (except he didnt have as good a reson as you to not have 2 letters), he just didnt get to know any biology profs well, as he went to a big UC full of premeds (not mine)... anyhow he applied last cycle despite this, and he is joining me next year at usc (a school which explicitly asks for 2 science)

we arent really sure why/how he got away with this... but he did, :thumbup: for him

he however only got one interview (the USC one) so i am not sure if perhaps the lack of two letters hurt him elsewhere...

edit/ if you have nymc on your list you might drop it, my friend took it off his list because they seemed really anal about the 2 science letter requirement

my friend was in exactly the same situation (except he didnt have as good a reson as you to not have 2 letters), he just didnt get to know any biology profs well, as he went to a big UC full of premeds (not mine)... anyhow he applied last cycle despite this, and he is joining me next year at usc (a school which explicitly asks for 2 science)

we arent really sure why/how he got away with this... but he did, :thumbup: for him

he however only got one interview (the USC one) so i am not sure if perhaps the lack of two letters hurt him elsewhere...
I've found that normally, 2 science letters are only required if you are a science major. If you are a non-science major, it's very likely that they will let you bring the second letter from a prof in your major. They seem to be pretty flexible towards non-trads, too, in terms of accepting employer letters instead.

****** me has already gone through 2/3 of my list, but I had only noted a few schools with 2 science letters - I didn't note which ones did NOT require 2, and now I'm confused and wanna make sure I did not accidentally miss any schools. Otherwise, I'll just be wasting $$$.

edit/ if you have nymc on your list you might drop it, my friend took it off his list because they seemed really anal about the 2 science letter requirement
I thought I've heard something about this before! Took it off.