Which schools like letters of interest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funfriendlyfiller

Reaction score
Just throwing this out here. If you know one drop it below!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Letters of interest don't really do much. Letters of intent can have sway at certain places - one of those is WashU
I don’t think this is true. Letters of interest can have sway as well, especially if they are backed by strong arguments, at schools that like them.

The two I know of are WashU and Mayo. I think U of Illinois does too. There are others but those are the ones I’m familiar with.

Last edited:
I don’t think this is true. Letters of interest can have sway as well, especially if they are backed by strong arguments, at schools that like them.

The two I know of are WashU and Mayo. I think U of Illinois does too. There are others but those are the ones I’m familiar with.

I don't agree. Your letter of interest was when you applied and took the time to fill out the secondary. If they're not your top choice its basically worthless to tell them that you're interested but they're not your #1. Even telling them they're your #1 isn't always helpful. Imagine the thousands of applicants that have told a school that they're their #1 and then after getting in choosing a different school. Would you take these letters that seriously?

Reactions: 1 user
Just throwing this out here. If you know one drop it below!
Loyola Stritch. Temple Katz.

Also realize that it's not nearly as much about how much you say you "love" them; it's more about updating them as to new qualifications that you didn't tell them about previously or how an experience deepened your interest in a specific aspect of their program. In other words a succinct, substantive update is preferred to wordy, verbose, over-the-top expressions of interest that say little or merely repeat what's in the application.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed at U Penn this cycle and asked about sending an LOI during the interview day. They said they don't like LOIs (interest or intent) and not to waste time sending them, although they are open to updates. I'm not sure if this is a policy change from previous years, but they actively discouraged LOIs to my group this year.

Though U Penn doesn't like them, many other schools did seem to encourage them on interview day: Kaiser, WashU, Mayo (and they really really like them), Vanderbilt, and Feinberg. NYU also looks for them, but only in one specific circumstance: when admitting from the waitlist if they suspect an applicant committed to another school under duress but really prefer NYU.
How do you know about Feinberg wanting a letter?

How do you know about Feinberg wanting a letter?
n=1 but Feinberg ghosted me for a long time until I sent a letter (got an II some weeks after). Obviously not everyone that sends a letter gets an II but I think it helps in some cases