2007-2008 "what are my chances"/"what should I do"/"where to apply" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmw001

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey...I am new to this whole posting thing on sdn...I am starting to get stressed out about interviews and the MCAT...no need to get stressed...I know. I was just wondering if any of you knew if I have a good chance of getting into OUCOM (I am in state and live about 30 minutes away from the college). Taking the MCAT May 31st.

Here is a littlle information...
I am 21 years old and attend a liberal arts college...will graduate in 3.5 years, instead of 4.

Science GPA 3.48
Non-Science GPA 3.77
Overall GPA 3.59

I got a C in organic chemistry I and a C+ in physics I, but got a B in o-chem 2 and an A in physics 2

I am doing a research project for a requirement about child obesity and will culminate in a 40 page paper

Went to India to work in a government-funded leprosy clinic and to see first-hand the differences in third world medicine

I started the Health Professions Club (most know it as the Pre-Med club), I started my own business last year as well "Memories by Kenzi" Also I am in the relay for life planning committee, campus crusade for christ and I am an academic tutor

My honors are Freshman scholar, Sophomore scholar, deans list, deans high honors list, alpha delta lambda, Beta Beta Beta, Trustee scholar, david young alumni biology award.

Medical interships and jobs: Grant Medical Center (N.A. on cardiac floor), Healthsouth (nursing assistant), job shadowed a DO, Marietta MEmorial Hospital(intern for physical therapy), and had many other jobs not related to healthcare

Those at OU already...if you could give me any additional information to help me out...I would appreciate it!!!!

I don't know if I should extend my search and apply to like 12 schools or keep it down to about five and keep OU as my top choice!!

Any information or input would help!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Wait and see how you do on the MCAT to decide on where to apply. If you do well, then you have a good chance of getting into OUCOM. :luck:

do well on the mcat and play your cards my friend. i think you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the information...about what MCAT score do I need to get in? I know they say an average of 8. Do you think that is about right for those of you that already got in???

Like everything else with getting into medical school, the MCAT score is negotiable. It DOES get you the interview invite, but what matters is who you are and what you can deliver. I like DoctorMom's advice and I will add: do your best and see what happens; don't aim for a score and get let down in the end. Things "work out for the good of those..." I think you know the rest, kmw ;). Anyway, if you do well and still want to come to OU when the time arrives, you will be pleased. I know that I am! I imagine that you are applying for c/0 2012?

Thanks for the information...about what MCAT score do I need to get in? I know they say an average of 8. Do you think that is about right for those of you that already got in???

do the best you can. keep practicing and get the highest score possible.

what are my chances...LOL...just kidding ;)

So far, the three schools I'm really interested in is: LECOM, Nova, and NYCOM.

My numbers:

3.62 GPA
30 MCAT

I haven't had the chance to shadow a DO yet, but am hoping to do that ASAP. I also have volunteer hours, but an unsure about how much is sufficient.

So far, the three schools I'm really interested in is: LECOM, Nova, and NYCOM.

My numbers:

3.62 GPA
30 MCAT

I haven't had the chance to shadow a DO yet, but am hoping to do that ASAP. I also have volunteer hours, but an unsure about how much is sufficient.

You should have absolutely no problems! Your stats are well above average for all DO schools. Just make sure you get that DO letter ASAP!

2.9GPA
28MCAT

1+ year full-time EMT on 911 ambulance
working full-time in ER/Trauma unit in hospital
in 2003, founded a car club at UCI, club has now branched to UCSD, 300+ members
excellent clinical LORs

ok academic LORs
1 misdemeanor 6 years ago :(

i'd like to get into western, but my gpa kinda blows.

2.9GPA
28MCAT

1+ year full-time EMT on 911 ambulance
working full-time in ER/Trauma unit in hospital
in 2003, founded a car club at UCI, club has now branched to UCSD, 300+ members
excellent clinical LORs

ok academic LORs
1 misdemeanor 6 years ago :(

i'd like to get into western, but my gpa kinda blows.

What's your science GPA? And also may I ask if the misdemeanor was a DUI? Your MCAT is good enough for Western, and EMT will help. However your GPA is low, and it may also depend on what your science GPA is....If that is even lower it might make it harder to get in.

first 2 years: 2.51 GPA (accounting major)
last 2 years: 3.8 GPA (microbioloy major)
science GPA: 3.9
MCAT: 33

research in a genetics lab
internship w/ Ernst & Young including a job offer
shadowing in the ER
shadowing in the OR

Members don't see this ad :)
first 2 years: 2.51 GPA (accounting major)
last 2 years: 3.8 GPA (microbioloy major)
science GPA: 3.9
MCAT: 33

research in a genetics lab
internship w/ Ernst & Young including a job offer
shadowing in the ER
shadowing in the OR

You didn't do so hot your first two years, but you had a great upward trend. Your science GPA looks very good, but what's your cumulative undergraduate GPA? Your MCAT score is really good, so no worries there.

You look like a pretty good applicant thus far. There are two things that stand out to me. The first is your poorer performance in the first two years. You may be asked to address this, so be prepared to address it well. Second, you have some shadowing, but you don't list any clinical experience and volunteer/community service work. Clinical experience is pretty important and having participated in some will most certainly be of benefit; it's almost expected that you will have some. Furthermore, schools tend to like to see involvement in volunteer/community service work. Some folks combine the two by volunteering in a hospital.

You didn't do so hot your first two years, but you had a great upward trend. Your science GPA looks very good, but what's your cumulative undergraduate GPA? Your MCAT score is really good, so no worries there.

You look like a pretty good applicant thus far. There are two things that stand out to me. The first is your poorer performance in the first two years. You may be asked to address this, so be prepared to address it well. Second, you have some shadowing, but you don't list any clinical experience and volunteer/community service work. Clinical experience is pretty important and having participated in some will most certainly be of benefit; it's almost expected that you will have some. Furthermore, schools tend to like to see involvement in volunteer/community service work. Some folks combine the two by volunteering in a hospital.

well my mother works for two allergists and i used to spend a ton of time there. now i just go there when i am home from college. does that count as clinical experience? i learned a lot. my mother mixes all the vials and i used to sit and keep her company so she explained to me what she does. does this count as clinical experience? i technically never got paid for all the addressing, stamping, refilling, etc that did. Does that count as volunteer? :oops:

I still have a year until I am going to apply so I'll volunteer at the local hospital.

I don't know how to explain my first two years in a good way. It was a bunch of things.
-I hated my school. I hated the people. I hated being away from my boyfriend. I hated being away from my family.
-As a result of being miserable at my college, I was gone all of the weekends but two each school year (the first and last). So that took away a lot of studying time
-I hated my major. I thought my classes were stupid and pointless and didn't bother to learn the material
-I was one of those kids that got straight A's in high school without cracking open a book. I never really learned the art of studying and I believe that was due in part to having horribly boring and pointless (in my opinion) subject material.

Any idea how to explain that without sounding like I was a stupid and careless college kid who is making up excuses? I had a 4.0 in high school w/ honors and AP classes as well as a 33 ACT score and a perfect on the science portion.

After the first two years I switched schools and majors. That is when the GPA did a massive change.

Usuallly the what are my chances are really boring...these are very interesting to me actually.

Usuallly the what are my chances are really boring...these are very interesting to me actually.

haha yeah i'm a bit of a weird application. they will look at my app and pull a "wait, what?"

i'm hoping they'll interview me because they want to know what the heck happened :)... and by then i will have worked with the pre-med committee at my school to come up with an amazing answer and i'll be in.

*crosses fingers*

well my mother works for two allergists and i used to spend a ton of time there. now i just go there when i am home from college. does that count as clinical experience? i learned a lot. my mother mixes all the vials and i used to sit and keep her company so she explained to me what she does. does this count as clinical experience? i technically never got paid for all the addressing, stamping, refilling, etc that did. Does that count as volunteer? :oops:

I still have a year until I am going to apply so I'll volunteer at the local hospital.

I don't know how to explain my first two years in a good way. It was a bunch of things.
-I hated my school. I hated the people. I hated being away from my boyfriend. I hated being away from my family.
-As a result of being miserable at my college, I was gone all of the weekends but two each school year (the first and last). So that took away a lot of studying time
-I hated my major. I thought my classes were stupid and pointless and didn't bother to learn the material
-I was one of those kids that got straight A's in high school without cracking open a book. I never really learned the art of studying and I believe that was due in part to having horribly boring and pointless (in my opinion) subject material.

Any idea how to explain that without sounding like I was a stupid and careless college kid who is making up excuses? I had a 4.0 in high school w/ honors and AP classes as well as a 33 ACT score and a perfect on the science portion.

After the first two years I switched schools and majors. That is when the GPA did a massive change.

You do not really have to go into a detailed explaination of the problem. I pretty much said in my ps and interviews that I was still trying to find out who I really was, it seemed to satisfy everyone. Of course you need to back up what you say and explain what you mean but you can do that. Just say your first institution was not a place you enjoyed and on top of that you had some personal issues you were dealing with. Trust me they will look right past it with your GPA trend and how well you did afterwards.

As for your "clinical experience" question, yes you could consider that clinical time. However, most schools also want you to have significant patient time along with clinical experience. I was asked in interviews twice if I had any patient experience and to describe specific patient scenarios I had.

Also you can count that time in the office as volunteer experience, but you should, like you said get some hospital volunteering. I do not think there is really a set amount of hours you need, but try and make it a usual thing for at least six months or so. Even if you only go for a couple hours on the weekend, they want extended periods. An example would be getting 24 hours over a period of 12 straight weekends being better than one whole day of volunteering.

Goodluck, your stats are good, you should be fine.

If you use the allergist as clinical or volunteer experience I might just leave out the information about your mom, unless asked. I'm not trying to be mean, but I could say that I went to work with my dad who's a doctor...that might not sound to good (my dad really isn't a doctor, just using it as an example). However if you do you use it as a clinical experience I am sure they will ask about it. Any how something is better than nothing.

Also as Spice mentioned you do have an upward trend from your first two years. That will help you out. Plus you got a good MCAT to help your lower areas. Good luck, you'll get in!

p.s. unless you bomb the interview

If you use the allergist as clinical or volunteer experience I might just leave out the information about your mom, unless asked. I'm not trying to be mean, but I could say that I went to work with my dad who's a doctor...that might not sound to good (my dad really isn't a doctor, just using it as an example). However if you do you use it as a clinical experience I am sure they will ask about it. Any how something is better than nothing.

Also as Spice mentioned you do have an upward trend from your first two years. That will help you out. Plus you got a good MCAT to help your lower areas. Good luck, you'll get in!

p.s. unless you bomb the interview

well i'd have to say that I feel I am skilled at interviewing. i have never been turned down during a job offer including getting the job at Ernst & Young - basically every accounting majors dream. Oh and I pulled that off with the 2.51 GPA.

oh and i haven't calculated my cumulative. i'd assume it is pretty close to the average of years 1/2 and years 3/4. which stinks :)

:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbup:

(only takes one to get in)

MCAT: 9P 9V 8B WO
GPA: Overall:3.55 Sci: 3.79
Average LOR's
Worked as Tech
Tutoring
NY resident

tryin for UMDNJ or PCOM but applying to alot... probably have a good shot at nycom b\c im IS... what are my chances at the afforementioned schools?

What's your science GPA? And also may I ask if the misdemeanor was a DUI? Your MCAT is good enough for Western, and EMT will help. However your GPA is low, and it may also depend on what your science GPA is....If that is even lower it might make it harder to get in.

science gpa is 3.1~
misdemeanor was for trespassing.

science gpa is 3.1~
misdemeanor was for trespassing.

gpa should be fine.....what age were you caught for trespassing? A misdemeanor for that shouldn't be a problem to get into school, but you might have to explain what happened. Also, if you were a minor at the time, I believe it is possible to get it erased from your record (expunged if that is corret).

gpa should be fine.....what age were you caught for trespassing? A misdemeanor for that shouldn't be a problem to get into school, but you might have to explain what happened. Also, if you were a minor at the time, I believe it is possible to get it erased from your record (expunged if that is corret).

Medical schools don't have a way to see the expunged stuff? I know law enforcement agencies do, I would think that before giving a DEA number to someone they would have a way to look at all things, even those expunged. I have no idea mind you, just what I would think.

Anyway, I agree that the trespassing charge shouldn't be a problem, of course I'm not an admissions board. ;)

3.37 cumulative
3.2 BCPM
29P

Graduated in 2004 and have been working in lab since then
1 publication
3 posters (2 more in November)
MD shadowing (urologist)
ER and pathology volunteering
Various other community service experiences

Thanks!

3.37 cumulative
3.2 BCPM
29P

Graduated in 2004 and have been working in lab since then
1 publication
3 posters (2 more in November)
MD shadowing (urologist)
ER and pathology volunteering
Various other community service experiences

Thanks!

you need to get on the DO shadowing or at least get to know one so he/she can write you a LOR.

Entering my Senior year this coming semester. Haven't taken the MCATs, but will take it around Mid August of this year and apply soon after.

GPA: 3.47

MCAT: Taking in August

Extra stuff: Research Lab Tech, ER Internship(1 year), Volunteer at assisted living home (1.5 years), dean's list, physics TA, tutoring, macy's employee for approx. 2 years (not sure if I'm suppose to list this, but I figured it shows that I've done other things with my time as well)

I'm a NY state resident (Long Island), and the best case scenario for me would be to go to a school in NY. However, I'm open to other schools as well.

Would someone be able to tell me a few names of schools I might be able to get into when I apply this year? (Preferably from NY and nearby states)

Thanks

Entering my Senior year this coming semester. Haven't taken the MCATs, but will take it around Mid August of this year and apply soon after.

GPA: 3.47

MCAT: Taking in August

Extra stuff: Research Lab Tech, ER Internship(1 year), Volunteer at assisted living home (1.5 years), dean's list, physics TA, tutoring, macy's employee for approx. 2 years (not sure if I'm suppose to list this, but I figured it shows that I've done other things with my time as well)

I'm a NY state resident (Long Island), and the best case scenario for me would be to go to a school in NY. However, I'm open to other schools as well.

Would someone be able to tell me a few names of schools I might be able to get into when I apply this year? (Preferably from NY and nearby states)

Thanks

What is your science GPA? Have you taken any MCAT practice tests to get an idea of a possible score?

What is your science GPA? Have you taken any MCAT practice tests to get an idea of a possible score?

Okay I just calculated my science GPA, but I'm not totally sure how you calculate it. So I'll list a few ways I did it, so maybe someone can tell me which is my correct science GPA, because I don't know if my calculus classes and statistics class counts towards it.

GPA for ONLY science classes (no math classes included): 3.33
GPA for science AND math classes (not counting statistics): 3.39
GPA for science/math AND a statistics class I took: 3.42

So what are my chances? and which schools?

Appreciate your time.

Okay I just calculated my science GPA, but I'm not totally sure how you calculate it. So I'll list a few ways I did it, so maybe someone can tell me which is my correct science GPA, because I don't know if my calculus classes and statistics class counts towards it.

GPA for ONLY science classes (no math classes included): 3.33
GPA for science AND math classes (not counting statistics): 3.39
GPA for science/math AND a statistics class I took: 3.42

So what are my chances? and which schools?

Appreciate your time.

You look like a good applicant so far. Your GPA is decent, your EC's look pretty good, get some shadowing time in, preferably from a DO. You definitely should list everything you do, jobs too, it shows you spent a lot of times doing things, not just sitting around. If I were you I would apply to the northeast schools, most of them seem to be very regional, you should have a good shot at NYCOM, try for UNECOM and even PCOM. The more schools the better imo. Your MCAT is important though, you really need to study hard for it, if you do well enough you have a great chance. Shoot for a 30+.

You look like a good applicant so far. Your GPA is decent, your EC's look pretty good, get some shadowing time in, preferably from a DO. You definitely should list everything you do, jobs too, it shows you spent a lot of times doing things, not just sitting around. If I were you I would apply to the northeast schools, most of them seem to be very regional, you should have a good shot at NYCOM, try for UNECOM and even PCOM. The more schools the better imo. Your MCAT is important though, you really need to study hard for it, if you do well enough you have a great chance. Shoot for a 30+.

i agree. just wanted to add to make your scores consistent. a 10, 10, 10 is better than a 13, 8, 9. A bit drastic but you get the idea :)

i agree. just wanted to add to make your scores consistent. a 10, 10, 10 is better than a 13, 8, 9. A bit drastic but you get the idea :)

Yep, definitely something to keep in mind. :thumbup:

3.0 overall
2.9 science
9's on the MCAT
volunteering
DO shadowing
(no research)

1. I'm thinking of training as a phlebotomist, but if I apply for DOs this fall, is that not enough time?

2. I really, really want to retake the classes I got C's in. What's the best way to do this?

I wanna go to Touro-CA, NV, or AZCOM.

3.0 overall
2.9 science
9's on the MCAT
volunteering
DO shadowing
(no research)

1. I'm thinking of training as a phlebotomist, but if I apply for DOs this fall, is that not enough time?

2. I really, really want to retake the classes I got C's in. What's the best way to do this?

I wanna go to Touro-CA, NV, or AZCOM.

GPA is low, and that 2.9 GPA may hurt you. Retaking would be an excellent choice... have you already graduated?

MCAT is good. In what state do you live? You should consider applying to more than those three schools.

2.988 GPA
3.273 Sci
3.621 Post Bacc (52 credits)
Mcat 23 (9V, 7B, 7P)

EMT for 4 yrs
bunch of other ECs
Solid LOR
Shadowed 2 nycom DOs, 1MD
NY res

would like nycom but applying early and to many more.

I'm in the 2nd year of a masters degree program in teaching elementary education. My GPA is 4.0. My undergrad GPA was 3.6. BCPM 3.3 MCAT 24. I haven't really looked around much at the schools but do I seem like I have a chance? I go to my state school in Florida.

My only EC is that I have worked as an emergency services tech for the last 2 years. I'm going to try and find a DO to shadow.

I'm in the 2nd year of a masters degree program in teaching elementary education. My GPA is 4.0. My undergrad GPA was 3.6. BCPM 3.3 MCAT 24. I haven't really looked around much at the schools but do I seem like I have a chance? I go to my state school in Florida.

My only EC is that I have worked as an emergency services tech for the last 2 years. I'm going to try and find a DO to shadow.

You look like you'd have a decent shot. Your MCAT is around average for a matriculant and your GPA is a little above average. Just an FYI, you might want to recalculate your science GPA without the math, because for AACOMAS, it's BCP, not BCPM like in AMCAS. The usual advice applies: when it comes time to apply, apply early and broadly.

Here is a list of average MCAT scores for the schools that released them:

http://www.kcom.edu/faculty/chamberlain/ranmcat.htm

You have clinical experience, so that's good; clinical experience is pretty essential to a good application. You are planning on shadowing a DO, which is excellent. Another thing that adcoms looks for is volunteer/community service. If you can swing that, then it would be of benefit to your application.

You look like you'd have a decent shot. Your MCAT is around average for a matriculant and your GPA is a little above average. Just an FYI, you might want to recalculate your science GPA without the math, because for AACOMAS, it's BCP, not BCPM like in AMCAS. The usual advice applies: when it comes time to apply, apply early and broadly.

Here is a list of average MCAT scores for the schools that released them:

http://www.kcom.edu/faculty/chamberlain/ranmcat.htm

You have clinical experience, so that's good; clinical experience is pretty essential to a good application. You are planning on shadowing a DO, which is excellent. Another thing that adcoms looks for is volunteer/community service. If you can swing that, then it would be of benefit to your application.

Thank you. I'll have to recalculate then. It should go up because my math grades are the ones dragging down everything else! I could probably find a hospital to volunteer at. I hope one day a week is enough. I think I am going apply for 2009. I have to finish my current program first.

I have a 3.5 GPA (3.7 over the last 75 credits), and a 26 mcat. I'm an eagle scout, have 2.5 years of clinical volunteering, 2 years working at a residency office, and I've also coached youth sports and officiated intramural games. I think I have pretty good LOR's as well, including 2 M.D.'s, and 1 D.O. (from PCOM). I'm applying early (right now), and I want to know my chances at a school like PCOM, but I'm also applying to CCOM, Western, Nova, and 5 others.

Thanks everybody.

3.45 GPA
3.45 sci

8 8 9 MCAT

-8 Months full time surgical assistant (oral and maxillofacial)
-6 months full time patient sitter (patient monitoring), various floors
-Recently began volunteer position as patient partner (assesing the needs of newly admitted patients, various floors)
-a couple other non-medical volunteer organizations

-2 yrs years of research by next summer, publications on the horizon (currently a full time fellowship)

I really hope I can locate a cool DO within the next couple of months.

-currently spending too much time getting worked up on SDN:)

3.45 GPA
3.45 sci

8 8 9 MCAT

-8 Months full time surgical assistant (oral and maxillofacial)
-6 months full time patient sitter (patient monitoring), various floors
-Recently began volunteer position as patient partner (assesing the needs of newly admitted patients, various floors)
-a couple other non-medical volunteer organizations

-2 yrs years of research by next summer, publications on the horizon (currently a full time fellowship)

I really hope I can locate a cool DO within the next couple of months.

-currently spending too much time getting worked up on SDN:)

your chances are good, good g.p.a, good enough MCAT and a variety of extracurriculars, sounds like a sound application to me. good luck :luck:

Gpa:3.67
sci: 3.54
Mcat 9 9 O 9
Non trad student

EC shadowed about 30 hours, various doctors
tutour, 1 year
medical work 3 years
v.p. of a club
various scholarships
student athlete for 1 year
married, 1 child
intramural sports
1 research project

3.03 Cum
2.95 Sci
12P 12B 8VR
In D.O. post-bacc program at UNT
lots of volunteering
lots of work experience - car wash to research and everything in between
lots of confidence

3.02 cum GPA
3.03 sci GPA
No Mcat, Taking it On AUG 20
Two solid DO LOR from Dr's that teach and graduated from NSU.(My #1 choice)
EMT-B certi.
2 yrs working in the ER
1.5 yr working in Cat Scan as a Nurse TECH
No volunteering(had to work during school)
Pre-med club and Microbiology Club

I get my BS in dec. , so i still have a lil. bit of time to bring up my GPA. Do they upgrade your GPA after the term is over?? THANKS...goodluck to everyone.:D

Can you tell me which DO schools I should be applying to?

overall GPA: 3.213
BCPM: 3.0
MCAT: 27Q

-Will be doing one year masters starting this fall
-Have a letter from DO who graduated from MSUCOM
-Lots of volunteer and clinical experience
-Lots of E.Cs

Thanks!

Ah! Wheres Animus and Spiced at when ya need em!

Status
Not open for further replies.