2008-2009 Michigan State University College of Human Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MichiganEMTInt

Secondary Application Questions
1. Discuss a challenge you have faced. How did you overcome or strive to overcome this challenge? (1/1900 characters)

2. Describe a personally rewarding experience. What did you learn about yourself through this experience? Do not describe any experience already detailed in your AMCAS application. (1/1900 characters)

3. If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? (1/1900 characters)

There are essays required for those applying to the Leadership in Medicine for the Underserved/Vulnerable Program and Rural Physician Program

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
yea the two week deadline is kinda absurd... both for payment and for submission. made me freak out about not reading my other secondary instructions carefully enough.

this process sucks

Wait lemme get this straight. So today's July 10, the secondary app must be in by July 24? Otherwise we're out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if this 2 week deadline includes things like letters/MCAT? Or is it just payment + submission?

I just read that for OOS they say to have a 3.5/30....does anyone know if these are strict cutoffs? I am way above on MCAT but slightly below on GPA....

Here are the questions for anyone who hasn't paid yet:

.1-Discuss a challenge you have faced. How did you overcome or strive to overcome this challenge? (1900 characters).
. .
.2-Describe a personally rewarding experience. What did you learn about yourself through this experience? Do not describe any experience already detailed in your AMCAS application. (1900 characters).
. .
.3- If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? (1900 characters).

When they say don't discuss something that's detailed in your AMCAS, does that include the work/activities section of AMCAS AND the essay section?? I already included 15 main experiences, I don't really have anything else to add:S

yea...is the 2 week deadline for real?

what about reference letters..do the reference letters need to be in within the 2 week deadline?

...better start writing...

Reference letters too. If they're not going to be on time, e-mail them and tell them they will be late. That is what they told me. It will just delay the completion of your application..obviously...

No, for rec letters you have 30 days.... but I was wondering whether or not it would be o.k. to repeat one of my answers since I applied last year to MSU CHM ... ? anyone have a suggestion? :confused:

Does anyone know if this 2 week deadline includes things like letters/MCAT? Or is it just payment + submission?

i think it's just for payment. no where on the secondary (or at least i cant find it) does it say anything about the two week deadline. it only mentions the deadline for the payment.

i think it's just for payment. no where on the secondary (or at least i cant find it) does it say anything about the two week deadline. it only mentions the deadline for the payment.

nah, it's the secondary. in the email i received, i remember they specifically said you must complete it within 2 weeks. this was after i sent them the payment

nah, it's the secondary. in the email i received, i remember they specifically said you must complete it within 2 weeks. this was after i sent them the payment

oops ok, you guys are right. the directions are in the link they provide you after you pay the fee so you have two weeks from when you pay to submit the secondary. totally didnt realize. thanks guys =)

it says:
"Submission of your Secondary Application is expected within two weeks of paying the Secondary Application Fee. If your Secondary Application is not submitted in a timely manner, your application is at risk for being withdrawn from further consideration. Request that your letters of evaluation be sent at this time.

For those applying to MD PhD:
In the additional secondary (the pdf), does anyone know how to fill out the LOR section? There is a grid of 4X3 but the only heading I see is "email". The rest of the columns lack headings - I don't know what to put there.
I assume it would be "name", "title" and "department"... but does anyone know for sure?
Thanks
(No reply from Dr. Crockett (director) yet)

Members don't see this ad :)
minea, if you dont mind my asking, did you get an interview? if not, what was the reason they turned you down? Just looking for more info as per what they look for, but you of course dont have to answer.

For those applying to MD PhD:
In the additional secondary (the pdf), does anyone know how to fill out the LOR section? There is a grid of 4X3 but the only heading I see is "email". The rest of the columns lack headings - I don't know what to put there.
I assume it would be "name", "title" and "department"... but does anyone know for sure?
Thanks
(No reply from Dr. Crockett (director) yet)

For all those who were wondering: they wrote me back

"It appears that the 2009 application has not been uploaded yet. Once it is, you will see that the form has the specific column headings. We apologize for the confusion."

Admissions Officer College of Human Medicine
Michigan State University

Here are the questions for anyone who hasn't paid yet:

.1-Discuss a challenge you have faced. How did you overcome or strive to overcome this challenge? (1900 characters).

.2-Describe a personally rewarding experience. What did you learn about yourself through this experience? Do not describe any experience already detailed in your AMCAS application. (1900 characters).

.3- If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? (1900 characters).

When they say don't discuss something that's detailed in your AMCAS, does that include the work/activities section of AMCAS AND the essay section?? I already included 15 main experiences, I don't really have anything else to add:S

I'm assuming that when they say 'detailed' they mean things that you have gone into IN DEPTH on the AMCAS application. I think it would be okay to write about an experience that you listed in the work/activities section. Just try to narrow it down to one part of that experience that they haven't heard from you in the description or in your PS.

The way I see it is that they want NEW information about you that they would not have known from your primary application alone. Just don't repeat any stories and you should be good.

Hope this helps a little:)

I'm assuming that when they say 'detailed' they mean things that you have gone into IN DEPTH on the AMCAS application. I think it would be okay to write about an experience that you listed in the work/activities section. Just try to narrow it down to one part of that experience that they haven't heard from you in the description or in your PS.

The way I see it is that they want NEW information about you that they would not have known from your primary application alone. Just don't repeat any stories and you should be good.

Hope this helps a little:)

This sounds right to me.

I'll be starting at MSU CHM this month. When I applied last year, my "personally rewarding experience" came from one of the things I had listed on the work/experiences of my AMCAS. However, for the secondary essay I went into much more detail about my specific interactions with one student (I wrote about teaching), whereas the primary was more about what I did in general.

And yes, I think they're serious about the two-week deadline...

Does anyone get the impression that MSU CHM and the MD/PhD program is a bit too unorganized compared to the other schools you may have applied?

Random question has anyone (like I did) apply to CHM this year VIA the early decision program? If so have you heard anything? I know we are supposed to know the final admissions decision by Oct 1. but I don't know the schedule before then.

~Chad

Has anyone gotten their LOEs marked as received? About how long did it take?

My pre-med committee sent out my letters a few weeks ago and got confirmation that they were received by the MSU AdCom - but it's not updated on my status page. This is the only thing that's keeping my app from being marked complete. I think I might send them an email to see what's up.

My pre-med committee sent out my letters a few weeks ago and got confirmation that they were received by the MSU AdCom - but it's not updated on my status page. This is the only thing that's keeping my app from being marked complete. I think I might send them an email to see what's up.

I'm in the same position. Maybe I'll shoot them an email as well and check back.

JARB

i missed the two week deadline...should I still send it?:confused:

I think they are having a few problems with their status page. My letters were marked as received three days after they were sent, but a day later the notice that they were received disappeared. It just showed back up again a few days ago.

ignore this, im doing administrative stuff

So on my status page, it says that they've received my secondary and letters of evaluation. (MCAT completed) Also under secondary application, it says that once they receive everything, there will be a status update at the bottom, but there haven't been one since I received the secondary invite. Should I be worried that my secondary isn't complete yet? I had to fax a copy of my permenant residence card and maybe they lost it? Have anyone else got a actual status update on theirs?

I'm in the same position. Maybe I'll shoot them an email as well and check back.

JARB

I emailed them about my LORs, and they replied saying that they have them - it's now confirmed on the app website. They didn't expand on if the system is messed up.

im still waiting too. i submitted my app on 8/19 and sent my letters that same day and my application is still pending. it doesnt show any new updates since 8/14. man i hate waiting!

Has anyone applied to this school's MD/PhD program?

Really don't like this secondary...or the two week deadline. someone above says the OOS cutoff at 3.5/30? Are they just trying to take my money if they still sent me the secondary even though I got a 29 on the mcat? :(

Really don't like this secondary...or the two week deadline. someone above says the OOS cutoff at 3.5/30? Are they just trying to take my money if they still sent me the secondary even though I got a 29 on the mcat? :(

i dont think that is a definite cutoff. i could be wrong, but i think that is just the "average" OOS that either get secondary/interviewed/accepted. i would submit it-you never know what could happen. they could absolutely LOVE your PS or 15 AMCAS experiencs.
good luck.

It's not a strict cutoff, just a guideline to see if you are competitive.

Hey, I got an interview this Sep. 18... anyone else? I'm super excited... LOVE MSU CHM !!!!!!!!!!

Are you two IS or OOS?

I don't know how many people attend the interview days, but I would imagine there are a lot since they have an AM and a PM session....

I am in state... ( i heard oos tuition for MSU CHM is way too expensive)....

anyone know if this school has student hosts for interviews?

anyone know if this school has student hosts for interviews? this flight is going to cost me over $500! :scared:

Where are you flying into?

Lansing which is over $500. and then i saw detroit is a little over $250! seriously ! but im not going to rent a car so that would be a 2 hour taxi-NO WAY.
i think im going to leave SLC to LAN, get there the night before my interview, then go from LAN to ATL and spend 2 days there before my interview. that seems like its going to be a LOT cheaper. (like over $250 saved just on airfare)

is there another airport that is closer?

You may want to consider Grand Rapids. What date is your inteview?

You may want to consider Grand Rapids. What date is your inteview?
it hasnt been confirmed yet, but i requested October14th. since i have that week off from school already.
thanks! i will check that out.

Hey guys,

if you are flying in from out of state for a CHM interview and it's much cheaper to fly into detroit i would HIGHLY suggest looking into the michigan flyer. this is a bus that runs regularly from lansing to detroit (it also stops in ann arbor i believe). anyways tickets are only like 25-30 bucks and they have multiple departures each day. the bus is really nice too, it has internet and stuff which helps pass the time.

i've taken it before because i am a lansing local fyi :)

good luck at interviews!

Hey guys,

if you are flying in from out of state for a CHM interview and it's much cheaper to fly into detroit i would HIGHLY suggest looking into the michigan flyer. this is a bus that runs regularly from lansing to detroit (it also stops in ann arbor i believe). anyways tickets are only like 25-30 bucks and they have multiple departures each day. the bus is really nice too, it has internet and stuff which helps pass the time.

good luck at interviews!

thanks a lot! im totally going to check that out. it would save me a ton of money !

Hey guys,

good luck at interviews!

Thanks! Looks awesome and significantly cheaper! You are on my favorite people list now.

Anyone else interviewing on the 18th of September.... I think that might be their first week... hmmm is this a good or bad thing?

Good luck at your interviews guys!
I am so hoping to get one to MSU-CHM. It is by far my first choice, but I sent in my secondary by the the first week in August and haven't heard anything since....

Status
Not open for further replies.