2008-2009 Michigan State University College of Human Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my god...I chose schools based on my interest factor and didn't look into the cost at all. MSU is sooo expensive for us OOSers!! How do people manage this? It is common for MSU to give OOS any kind of scholarships??

I was so excited about my interview and now there is a little downer on it :(. (I think I'm going to ask for Oct 23 or 30...anyone else?!)

Members don't see this ad.

Oh my god...I chose schools based on my interest factor and didn't look into the cost at all. MSU is sooo expensive for us OOSers!! How do people manage this? It is common for MSU to give OOS any kind of scholarships??

I was so excited about my interview and now there is a little downer on it :(. (I think I'm going to ask for Oct 23 or 30...anyone else?!)

Really? Wow, I need to do some research! What's the cost for OOS? Oct. 30th, FTW! At least that's what I'm trying for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, where is our log-in for the "interview day" web page? It takes me to Microsoft Outlook, and using the log-in for the MSU status check page doesn't work....

So how do I know if I am complete?

It says they received my LOR's, but nothing about receiving MCAT scores (I have no future dates).

I believe that the tuition is now $65,400 per year for OOS students. This brings total COA to about $85,000 per year.

MSU has a relatively small endowment, the Michigan legislature has always short changed MSU in the appropriation process and the Michigan economy is in the dumper.

Really? Wow, I need to do some research! What's the cost for OOS? Oct. 30th, FTW! At least that's what I'm trying for.

Confirmed for the 30th! Starting at 11 will be nice after all the ones at 8am!

Also, where is our log-in for the "interview day" web page? It takes me to Microsoft Outlook, and using the log-in for the MSU status check page doesn't work....

TELL ME ABOUT IT! oh my - i have not been able to access this at all. it is supposed to be your email address and password but it wont work for me still. i have been emailing janice nonstop and she keeps giving me new passwords but it still doesnt work. ugh. reply back to your interview invite and she will try to help you.

So how do I know if I am complete?

It says they received my LOR's, but nothing about receiving MCAT scores (I have no future dates).

bump

TELL ME ABOUT IT! oh my - i have not been able to access this at all. it is supposed to be your email address and password but it wont work for me still. i have been emailing janice nonstop and she keeps giving me new passwords but it still doesnt work. ugh. reply back to your interview invite and she will try to help you.

She gave me a new password and mine didn't work either. She said she'll help me more tomorrow. I wonder if this is a problem with a lot of the OOS applicants

She gave me a new password and mine didn't work either. She said she'll help me more tomorrow. I wonder if this is a problem with a lot of the OOS applicants

yeah i got a similar email. the weird thing is though i tried to log back into the secondary login page and NOW it says that i my email is "not authenticated. Make sure your username and password are correct" so i dont know whats going on with their system. :confused:

yeah i got a similar email. the weird thing is though i tried to log back into the secondary login page and NOW it says that i my email is "not authenticated. Make sure your username and password are correct" so i dont know whats going on with their system. :confused:

Try logging in and then delete everything after /applicants/

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone interviewing October 14, 2008?

I am there in the morning 10am. See you there?!?!

Did you see the packet of information we have to fill out for the interview? I am not opposed to doing this work, but we paid AMCAS to do this months ago. It seems like a lack of efficiency.

Hope to meet you in E Lansing.:D

Did you see the packet of information we have to fill out for the interview? I am not opposed to doing this work, but we paid AMCAS to do this months ago. It seems like a lack of efficiency.

im sure we will! wow more paperwork - its a good thing im too excited to care too much about it!!!!!

I'm considering adding this school last minute although I know it's starting to get late in the game. In addition to the essay questions, how does the secondary look? Is it one of those time-consuming ones that makes you list all your grades and experiences again in addition to the essay questions?

Thanks so much

I'm considering adding this school last minute although I know it's starting to get late in the game. In addition to the essay questions, how does the secondary look? Is it one of those time-consuming ones that makes you list all your grades and experiences again in addition to the essay questions?

Thanks so much

It's not time consuming, but there is quite a bit of tediousness. It's like some schools never even look at the AMCAS application.

Thanks so much

one bad/good thing about the secondary is that you only have 2 weeks to submit- so if that is going to force you to do it fast then add it on, otherwise it might just be too stressful to do.

Does anyone know if its possible to get in-state tuition after the first year if you enter as an OOS student?

Does anyone know if its possible to get in-state tuition after the first year if you enter as an OOS student?

im not sure but i think that if you live in a state to attend a school, you can never qualify for instate tuition unless you take time off from school and work (from anything ranging from 6 months to 2 years depending on the state).

Nope. They say on their website that you are excluded from becoming a resident if you are only there for 'educational purposes'. You need a spouse or parent living there I think.

im not sure but i think that if you live in a state to attend a school, you can never qualify for instate tuition unless you take time off from school and work (from anything ranging from 6 months to 2 years depending on the state).

I don't think this is quite right. From what I've heard, you can get in-state easily in the SUNY system. Also, heard someone got in-state after a year at Utah.

A lot of states allow graduate students to obtain in-state status after the first year relatively easily if they do certain things like change their drivers license, car registration, or purchase a house. If MSU doesn't allow this, then I don't think I can justify the cost.

I don't think this is quite right. From what I've heard, you can get in-state easily in the SUNY system. Also, heard someone got in-state after a year at Utah.

that could be true. all my info comes from a college friend who quit undergrad after a few semesters, for an entire year, in order to get residency.

MSU is expensive. i wish it wasnt so much for OOS.

So what is the deal with accessing the Interview Day WebPage????

Outlook Web Access is showing me no love...

So what is the deal with accessing the Interview Day WebPage????

Outlook Web Access is showing me no love...

something about the flash drive that they were uploading the interview day page info from was corrupted. :confused: email her and she will give you the direct link. you actually dont even use the outlook web access thing at all.

For those who are complete at MSU CHM, is this what it says on your status page?

We have confirmed the receipt of your letters of evaluation.StatusDate

Your Secondary Application has been received by the Office of Admissions. Upon receipt of either one committee letters (with up to two optional individual letters) or three individual letters of evaluation and your final MCAT scores for this application cycle, your application will enter the review stage. You will see a status update when your letters have been processed. If you indicated a future MCAT date on your AMCAS application, your application will be held for review until those scores are received. AMCAS will notify us of new MCAT scores when available. You will not see a status update reflecting the receipt of your MCAT scores.
Once all letters and MCAT scores have been received, the next status update you will receive will either be that of an Interview Day invitation or that your application has been unsuccessful. It is very common for decisions on applications to be deferred for comparison to the larger applicant pool that evolves over the year. This may significantly delay a decision on your application. You will not see a specific application status if the decision on your application is deferred for comparison to the larger applicant pool. We receive newly verified applications from AMCAS through January; therefore, most applications that are deferred for decision will be reviewed again in February, 2009. Be assured that any update in your application status will be posted here immediately.09/04/2008

An email with instructions on how to pay the $60 nonrefundable CHM Secondary Application Fee has been sent to your email address.09/02/2008

For those who are complete at MSU CHM, is this what it says on your status page?

We have confirmed the receipt of your letters of evaluation.StatusDate

Your Secondary Application has been received by the Office of Admissions. Upon receipt of either one committee letters ...

I had that message for over a month before I called them (since July 28th). I had to fax them my Permanent Residence card and thought maybe it got lost. The lady on the phone just told me that I was complete and never updated the status page. I'm guessing this message is considered the complete message, but you could call to make sure.

so i was aware of the two week deadline for submitting the secondary after paying the fee, but i failed to realize the two week deadline for paying the fee after receiving the secondary invite. I received the notification over a month ago (this one kinda fell off my radar). Is there any reason to try to submit it now? I plan on calling them on Monday.

if not, i think i'll live. that COA is criminal.

Ok my interview day ends at 4pm...but the latest Michigan Flyer leaves East Lansing at 3:30...What should I do?

I'm open to flying out of Grand Rapids, but I don't know how to get there from the MSU campus.

Any suggestions?

Oh actually...flying out of Detroit is much cheaper for me. I checked out Greyhound...but all the flights leaving past 8pm from DTW are like 800$....

Last edited:
Are you there until 4:00 because your interviews go that late? If so, you could probably call the admissions office and explain your situation and ask to be switched to earlier interview times.

Are you there until 4:00 because your interviews go that late? If so, you could probably call the admissions office and explain your situation and ask to be switched to earlier interview times.

I don't know...my invite said "11:30am-4pm". I was kind of surprised they start so late, but I heard there are AM and PM sessions?

Does anyone know how long it takes MSU to add your LORs to your application and update your status page to complete?

I don't know...my invite said "11:30am-4pm". I was kind of surprised they start so late, but I heard there are AM and PM sessions?

yeah there is an AM session, i had to switch to it too. it goes 10 to 230. Just email the lady that hands out the invites, and im sure that you can get it switched.
what day are you going to be there on? im doing october 14-its coming up SO FAST! :D

Is MSU handing out acceptances already or waiting until oct 15/16?

My application has been complete since 7/22 and I have heard nothing. Anyone else in the same boat?

My application has been complete since 7/22 and I have heard nothing. Anyone else in the same boat?

If you don't hear anything by the 15th Oct, I would send an email. Are you OOS?

yeah there is an AM session, i had to switch to it too. it goes 10 to 230. Just email the lady that hands out the invites, and im sure that you can get it switched.
what day are you going to be there on? im doing october 14-its coming up SO FAST! :D

Wow good luck on the 14th!! Let us know how it turns out. I wish I had read this post yesterday, I just booked a flight for the next morning due to my 11am interview. Bummer. Eh in this process what is more money anyway :rolleyes:

Oh whoops forgot to answer your question. I'm going on the 30th.

I was also complete by the first week of August and haven't heard a thing. I am getting kind of nervous because MSU-CHM is my absolute first choice. I have had 4 other interviews so far, frankly at better schools than State (all at the end of August and early September) but not a word! Should I be nervous? How many people have they interviewed?

Status
Not open for further replies.