2008-2009 Michigan State University College of Human Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From MSU Secondary:

A decision on your application may be deferred. It is very common for decisions on applications to be deferred for comparison to the larger applicant pool that evolves over the year. This may significantly delay a decision on your application. You will not see a specific application status if the decision on your application is deferred for comparison to the larger applicant pool. We receive newly verified applications from AMCAS through January; therefore, most applications that are deferred for decision will be reviewed again in February, 2009.
CHM has a semi-rolling admissions process. Acceptances are made in stages throughout the cycle, but applicants are given the same consideration no matter when they are reviewed or interviewed. Some applicants will receive notification early in the cycle, and others will not receive a final application status until the end of the cycle. Please be aware that CHM conducts interviews through March, and our admissions process is structured so that seats remain available who are reviewed and interviewed later in the application cycle, and applicants are not negatively affected by the timing of the application review.

So that may or may not help. Why does the College stress to submit MCAT scores? I thought AMCAS does this? Or maybe they do and I just was confused by the College's wording.

Members don't see this ad.

NVM, they do receive them through AMCAS.

i just had my interview there. there were two open file interviews and they were so laid back and casual. these people are probably the nicest people ive EVER met. seriously. the whole environment is really great-this is my first choice now. check out the interview feedback for more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed a little while ago and also loved it. Their interview day was actually fun. Everyone goes out of their way to make you feel welcome and comfortable.

Something I wish I knew when I wrote my secondaries though is that your interviewers do not see your entire AMCAS application before hand. They only get your essays, which is really great except that I would have wrote one of my essays a little differently had I known.

I interviewed a little while ago and also loved it. Their interview day was actually fun. Everyone goes out of their way to make you feel welcome and comfortable.

Something I wish I knew when I wrote my secondaries though is that your interviewers do not see your entire AMCAS application before hand. They only get your essays, which is really great except that I would have wrote one of my essays a little differently had I known.

and now we wait.... :D

Hello all,

For those who have interviewed and are OOS, did they address the high cost of tuition for OOS?

Thanks,

JARB

First interview that didnt include a financial aid presentation, but was able to talk about it with some of the med students.

First interview that didnt include a financial aid presentation, but was able to talk about it with some of the med students.

What did they say about their experience with the tuition for OOS?

They did mention that the OOS tuition was extremely high, but they said they were bound. They couldn't change it.

Scholarship is also very limited

one med student told me: "dont worry about the money. either way you will be in debt and it will work itself out"

right. id rather not be $200,000+ in debt but then again she was IS.

Hey, anyone know if there is a MSU CHM class of 2013 facebook group yet?

one med student told me: "dont worry about the money. either way you will be in debt and it will work itself out"

right. id rather not be $200,000+ in debt but then again she was IS.

Congrats on having your interview done Elizabeth! Did you end up taking the Michigan Flyer from the Detroit Airport? (I'm going in a week!)

Congrats on having your interview done Elizabeth! Did you end up taking the Michigan Flyer from the Detroit Airport? (I'm going in a week!)

no i ended up taking a connecting flight to lansing. and then i took a cab, S-Cab, to/from the hotel. they were reasonably priced.
you will have a really good time. i had NO reason to be stressed out. Good luck nonetheless.

Members don't see this ad :)
So those of you who interviewed Oct 14th:

Do you think you will hear from MSU sometime tomorrow?

So those of you who interviewed Oct 14th:

Do you think you will hear from MSU sometime tomorrow?

OMG! i hope so-i felt good about my 2 interviews but now im SO nervous! im going to be checking my phone constantly to make sure that I have a signal!
its possible to not get a call tomorrow though, if the interviewers did not turn their paperwork in time.. @ least thats how im going to rationalize it if i dont. ;)

I am preparing for a long wait from MSU. With a semi-rolling admissions policy and possible deferment until February 2009, it is safe to say I will more than likely hear nothing before Thanksgiving. Has anyone even been rejected yet?

Hey, anyone know if there is a MSU CHM class of 2013 facebook group yet?

Hey Minea,

I assume you got in. When did you get the interview and what day and time did you get the phone call? I went the 14th. Thanks

I GOT ACCEPTED TO MSU CHM!! I CANT BELIEVE IT !

they called me at 1000pm their time and left a voicemail telling me that the committee meeting just ended and they are accepting me. OMG-im delusional right now. i wasnt expecting any word until at least tomorrow! just wanted to let you guys know ! :D

I've been reading this thread for quite a while but now I have some good news to post!! I just got a call from Dean Shafer tonight and found out I was accepted!! It feels amazing! :)

I interviewed on 10/2 in case you were wondering. Good luck all!! :love:

Last edited:
Congrats! Let the endorphins flow!

they called me at 1000pm their time and left a voicemail telling me that the committee meeting just ended and they are accepting me. OMG-im delusional right now. i wasnt expecting any word until at least tomorrow! just wanted to let you guys know ! :D

Holy Crap! Congrats! I can't believe they called that late!!!! I suppose they will be calling tomorrow as well. Excellent job!

Congrats you guys!! Is this your first choice?

any school that accepts me is my first choice! ha-yeah i really liked this school. im going to start looking for scholarships or consider moving there early.
does anyone know how long before you are considered IS for michigan? techinically i could move in january and school would nt start until august...

Yay congratulations to everyone!!!:D

any school that accepts me is my first choice! ha-yeah i really liked this school. im going to start looking for scholarships or consider moving there early.
does anyone know how long before you are considered IS for michigan? techinically i could move in january and school would nt start until august...

MSU is pretty stringent about IS status. You may want to check the rules, but I believe if you need to find employment for a year before you are considered IS. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's really hard to declare IS in a short matter of time. Good luck though!

Hey, did your status change on the CHM AIS yet?

here is the IS requirements
In order to establish Michigan residency, you must live in Michigan for 12 consecutive months without being a student, before you matriculate into medical school. You cannot establish residency while attending medical school unless you are under the age of 24 and your parents move to Michigan, or you have a spouse who is a Michigan resident with full-time professional employment in Michigan. For more information, contact Mr. Scott McMillan, Associate Registrar, at [email protected] or (517) 353-4490.

you could marry a michigander while you wait!:laugh:

For all those who got accepted, congrats!

I have a question as well. As you know, MSU has a great reputation for being a primary care school. But how does it stack up if you want to go into a speciality? Is it disadvantageous at all?

What do you guys think

MSU CHM stresses that you can specialize with the med education. The classes and electives are designed to allow the student to steer towards the career of their choice.

MSU is pretty stringent about IS status. You may want to check the rules, but I believe if you need to find employment for a year before you are considered IS. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's really hard to declare IS in a short matter of time. Good luck though!

when i was having problems logging into the system to check my interview status they reset my password and login and now i cant log into it anymore. so no i havent see if there is a new status change.

here is the IS requirements
In order to establish Michigan residency, you must live in Michigan for 12 consecutive months without being a student, before you matriculate into medical school. You cannot establish residency while attending medical school unless you are under the age of 24 and your parents move to Michigan, or you have a spouse who is a Michigan resident with full-time professional employment in Michigan. For more information, contact Mr. Scott McMillan, Associate Registrar, at [email protected] or (517) 353-4490.

you could marry a michigander while you wait!:laugh:

ha thats true. so does that also mean that my boyfriend would have to work in michigan for 12 months before the would he would be considered a resident as well?

i guess my mom will move out there with me!

thanks for the info

no my status hasn't changed yet but maybe they are just slow in updating their system. it still says thank you for interviewing on xx date.

i'm really excited that i heard back from them though!!!!:) i'm still waiting to hear back from other places i interviewed at but it is definitely one of my top choices.

wow their residency requirements are crazy-they have pages of info about it on their website. ugh!

for those who care, heres some more info

1. Before it grants a student in-state status for tuition purposes, the University will usually require that student to have continuously resided in Michigan for one year immediately preceding the first day of classes of the term in which the student is applying for in-state classification. The year of continuous presence is never the only criterion used for determining in-state classification and, in itself, will not qualify a student for in-state status. Nor will a student’s failure to have continuously resided in Michigan for one year automatically prevent the student from obtaining in-state status. If the student presents clear and convincing evidence which demonstrates the establishment by the student of a Michigan domicile, the student will be eligible for in-state classification even if the student has not resided in Michigan continuously for one year prior to the first day of classes in the applicable term.
    • In the case of a dependent student, at least one parent domiciled in Michigan, as demonstrated by the parent’s permanent employment, establishment of a household and severance of out-of-state ties.
    • Student employed in Michigan in a full-time, permanent job, provided that the student’s employment is the primary purpose for the student’s presence in Michigan.
    • Student’s spouse or domestic partner employed in Michigan in a full-time, permanent job, provided that the spouse’s or partner’s employment is the primary purpose for the student’s presence in Michigan.

my status page did change. i was finally able to log in and it says:

Congratulations! You have been accepted to the College of Human Medicine at Michigan State University. Confirm your place in CHM’s entering class within two weeks of the date of your formal letter of acceptance by sending your written acceptance of admission to us by email and paying your $100 Advanced Enrollment Deposit online.

it also shows when i had my interview and when my file went to the committee.

within two weeks?! what if you're waiting to hear from other schools? i take it they dont allow that?

within two weeks?! what if you're waiting to hear from other schools? i take it they dont allow that?

at most (all?) schools, you can pay the deposit to hold your spot, and they will refund you if you withdraw before may 15

I just got my interview invite on Thurs :soexcited:!!! I'm sooooo excited! Top choice MD school AND they're interviewing me as an MD/PhD in Linguistics. I'm scheduled for Nov 20. Anyone else going to be there? Also, I have some quick questions...

1. Any suggestions for arguing my MD/PhD case? I know its nontrad to do the PhD in Linguistics but I think I have some good reasons (see MDapps activities). I just want to make sure I don't blow this chance cause it would be a dream come true.

2. My soon to be fiance is an MS1. He's a Michigan resident (major affect on tuition status when we get married). I assume that I should avoid mentioning him at all costs, right? I will have to request a new interview if he, by chance, is selected to do my interview...

3. I really have nothing else for this one. I'm just SO happy! :hardy:

Congrats to the already accepted people and good luck to everyone :luck::luck:

Hey, to all the ones that got accepted have you gotten that official letter in the mail yet? ( I got in a couple of days ago and have not received the letter yet and was wondering if I can go ahead and accept and pay without it ?)

Hey, to all the ones that got accepted have you gotten that official letter in the mail yet? ( I got in a couple of days ago and have not received the letter yet and was wondering if I can go ahead and accept and pay without it ?)

i havent received the information packet/letter yet either.
i just logged in and paid the deposit and sent them an email saying that i accept the spot. i figured-why wait?

I am really concerned/discouraged/irritated that CHM has not offered me an interview yet. I am thinking of calling them to see if there is a hang-up in my application. Does anyone know if there is a pattern to their interview invites? Do they make interview decisions during their committee meetings? Any input would be great.

Hey, for those of you that have already interviewed:
Did any of you also apply to the LMUV (leadership in medicine for the Underserved/Vulnerable) program? And if so, did they also ask you about it during interviews? Thanks!

Did any of you also apply to the LMUV (leadership in medicine for the Underserved/Vulnerable) program? And if so, did they also ask you about it during interviews? Thanks!

No, I did not apply, but I know that they don't ask about it during the interview... what they do is pass out applications before you go and you have time to decide on it whenever....

:)

I am really concerned/discouraged/irritated that CHM has not offered me an interview yet. I am thinking of calling them to see if there is a hang-up in my application. Does anyone know if there is a pattern to their interview invites? Do they make interview decisions during their committee meetings? Any input would be great.

Why did you turn in the secondary for MSU-CHM almost a month after the two week deadline? Did you get an extension?

Just a quick update for those waiting for acceptance news:

The next round of applications to be reviewed will be discussed Nov. 4th, election day!

Best of Luck to those still waiting!

Why did you turn in the secondary for MSU-CHM almost a month after the two week deadline? Did you get an extension?

Oh my god, I am such an idiot! I had no idea it had a two-week deadline. I feel sick. Time to make a phone call.

i applied for it but they did not ask about it during the interview. im going to email them to see when i find out if i have to interview and get accepted for this program. i really really like it!

Oh my god, I am such an idiot! I had no idea it had a two-week deadline. I feel sick. Time to make a phone call.

I called. They told me that my application is still under review and that my late submission is of no consequence. I feel a little better now.

im a first year at chm. dunno if its been addressed already, but i thot id give u all a heads up if it hasnt. last year they gave people acceptance phone calls at 8 PM. yes PM not AM. kind of odd, but thats how they do it. And the call showed up as unknown on my cell caller id, which I normally dont answer, so if you see an unknown or private call within the next 7 months or so, answer it. good luck all, this place is nice.

i applied for it but they did not ask about it during the interview. im going to email them to see when i find out if i have to interview and get accepted for this program. i really really like it!

very cool. Yeah, LMUV was like exactly what I was looking for when I read about it on MSU's website. I'll probably ask about it during my interview thur. so I can let you know what they say about getting accepted into it etc.

very cool. Yeah, LMUV was like exactly what I was looking for when I read about it on MSU's website. I'll probably ask about it during my interview thur. so I can let you know what they say about getting accepted into it etc.
thanks! and good luck at your interview!:luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.