Lor faq

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medikit

Plastic Bag Middle Class
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've trying to compile a list of Frequently Asked Questions about LOR's. Much credit goes to Winged Scapula and aProgDirector who helped supply the majority of the answers. Please feel free to add to this as I'm certain it is not comprehensive. I would also encourage you to post any LOR related questions you may have within this thread.

LOR FAQ

Q: How should I ask for a LOR?

A: Consider asking in a private place, perhaps by making an appointment to meet them in their office. This can also avoid the embarrassment of being turned down in public.

Consider using the phrase "Do you think you will be able write me a strong letter of recommendation?"

Have a copy of your CV and Personal Statement handy ready for them and ask them if they would like a copy. Also give them instructions on where to send the letter and include a form which allows you to waive the right to see your letter.

Q: What does it mean to finalize a letter in ERAS?

A: Finalize simply means that there is a spot for your Dean's office to upload the letter. You can't change the name/title after you have finalized it. In 2007 there was no finalize option, and you had to actually assign a letter to a program before your dean's office could upload it. Now, you can simply "finalize" your letter, which allows the Deans office to upload it without it being assigned to any programs. You can always add new letters and you can choose not to submit a finalized and uploaded letter to any programs.

Q: I asked for a LOR three weeks ago and it still has not been turned in!

A: Try to give at least 1-2 months notice to faculty when you ask for a LOR. It is okay to offer a gentle reminder if you're concerned.

How much time is needed? Hard to say. Depends on the rotation and the person.

Winged Scapula noted that she liked to be asked for a letter early in the rotation, so she can collect ideas and work on it while she's with the student. Consider telling your faculty after the first week.

Q: Should I wait until my LOR is scanned and in the post office before sending my application?

A: No, you do not have to wait and some programs may offer interviews without the letters. Additionally you can apply without any letters and simply assign them later.

Q: I already applied and just received a new LOR. Can I still add new LORs after I submit my application?

A: You can add letters at any time before ERAS closes.

Q: I have a SubI letter coming in a few weeks but I already have four letters scanned in and ready to go. Should I wait?

A: Consider saving a 4th spot for a later SubI, even if you already have four letters ready to go now. If your SubI letter never appears you can attach your 4th letter in 1-2 months before your application needs to be complete.

Q: I am an FMG and I have a US Physician letter coming in a few weeks but I already have four letters scanned in and ready to go. Should I wait?

A: The extra US letter is much more helpful than your non-US letters, unless your non-US letter is from someone who is well known internationally in their field.

Therefore, I would submit 3 letters now, and save one slot for when the last US letter is available. If for some reason that letter is not available by the application deadline then submit your last non-US letter.

Q: Is there a limit to how many LORS I can upload to ERAS?

A: You can upload as many letters as you want to ERAS. However, you can only send 4 total letters to any one program. For example you can send letters 1, 3, 5, and 6 to program 1 but send letters 1,2,3, and 4 to program 2. This is particularly useful when applying to multiple specialties or separate preliminary programs.

Q: Is it okay to use private letterhead for a Lor?

A: This really isn't a big deal, try not to stress the small stuff.

Q: I didn't ask for a "strong letter". I figured that those who didn't want to write me letters would not. Is it a problem if I didn't ask for "strong letters" though? Now I am getting nervous.

A: The application period can be stressful and sometimes cause you to focus on minor details. Most likely if your letter writers were uncomfortable writing you a letter then they would have said so.

Q: My deans office told me that they downloaded my third LOR two weeks ago but i still cannot find it in the "PostOffice" and all programs still have it as "N/A". The other two letters i finalized before i submitted my applications are all in there. Is this normal since it has now been two weeks?

A Once the Deans office receives your letter of LOR they scan it in which is technically uploading your document. Once they do that it will appear in your "PostOffice" and only then can programs download your letter. Either your deans office either doesn't have the letter or has not scanned it in. It's definitely a good idea to talk to your Deans office as soon as possible to clear up the confusion and track down your letter.

Q: I asked four different people if they would be willing to write me a strong lor. All four said yes, happy to, etc. Three submitted theirs but the fourth has not replied to my gentle email query and I am out of town for a week or so and cannot just go by his office. Do some people just never write them? What do people do in this situation?

A: Yes, sometimes people are unable or simply do not end up writing letters. I would suggest contacting their secretary. Buy him/her flowers. Or doughnuts. Put a nice card on it, saying it would be great to get your letter. Kinda kidding about the flowers/doughnuts. Kinda not. Or, live with three letters which will probably be fine.

Q: I was looking at X University's residency program page and they stated that they require three LORs. I have four LORs, should I send all four or does it look like I can't follow directions?

A: Most likely it doesn't matter but the general consensus is to only send the amount of LORs required by programs. So if your program specifically states that they require three then only send three LORs. However, if they use the phrasing "minimum of" or "at least" then you can probably send more than the specified amount. If you remain unsure or really want to send all of your letters you can call the program directly to determine their policy.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I had a quick question - how important is the name of the individual writing you a letter of recommendation when applying to a field such as ob/gyn, general surgery, anesthesiology, or internal medicine? Would it better to get a letter from a residency program director, even if he/she doesn't know you as well (but has agreed to write you a decent letter) as opposed to a relatively unknown physician who knows you extremely well and has worked with you one on one many times?

It also seems kind of difficult to me to gauge how strong some one's name actually is. If your LOR writer is a residency program director, does this most likely imply that they have many connections who will look at a letter coming from them in a different light? Or does it mean that they may or may not influence your application in any way, especially if they are from a smaller residency program? Thanks.

Thanks for all the FAQs but I have another question:

Right now on ERAS I have 2 finalized letter writers (one letter is uploaded and one isn't). I asked another attending to be my third letter writer but I have not received a reply yet, so I can't technically "finalize" it. I know that I can select my two finalized letters to be sent to a program regardless of whether a letter is uploaded to ERAS yet or not. My question is whether or not I can apply to programs and then send a third letter to them later? I hope that makes sense. I am nervous that once I submit my application they will only be able to receive letters from my 2 selected finalized letter writers.

Right now on ERAS I have 2 finalized letter writers (one letter is uploaded and one isn't). I asked another attending to be my third letter writer but I have not received a reply yet, so I can't technically "finalize" it. I know that I can select my two finalized letters to be sent to a program regardless of whether a letter is uploaded to ERAS yet or not. My question is whether or not I can apply to programs and then send a third letter to them later? I hope that makes sense. I am nervous that once I submit my application they will only be able to receive letters from my 2 selected finalized letter writers.

I'm in the same situation. Would like to know the answer to this as well

Does the same go for not having any letters uploaded to ERAS yet? The student coordinator at my hospital says shes going to upload letters soon...whatever that means

So, can we add a LOR AFTER we've submitted our application?

ie. if I submit tomorrow on September 1st and then my attending from my September rotation decides he/she would love to write me a letter...can I go back into my application and add a new slot for their letter AFTER having already submitted the app?

Thanks!

ie. if I submit tomorrow on September 1st and then my attending from my September rotation decides he/she would love to write me a letter...can I go back into my application and add a new slot for their letter AFTER having already submitted the app?

Thanks!

Ditto, need an answer to this!

Ok, so I called ERAS and spoke with someone who said that you can still add letters after you submit your application that were not finalized before you submitted the application. So we should be fine submitting tomorrow with only 2 finalized LORs. Hope this helps

I have 3 uploaded lors now and one assigned slot for 4th lor which is not uploaded yet. If I assign all 4 lors to applied programs, will the 4th lor be sent to the programs automatically when it is uploaded later? Can I assign unuploaded lors to programs now?

If a program asks for 3 letters, is it bad to send along the 4th? I don't want people to think I can't follow directions, but I feel like if I have 4, I should just send them all to everyone...

Ok, so I called ERAS and spoke with someone who said that you can still add letters after you submit your application that were not finalized before you submitted the application. So we should be fine submitting tomorrow with only 2 finalized LORs. Hope this helps

This is correct. After applying, you can assign new LOR's and assign a new PS if you want.

I have 3 uploaded lors now and one assigned slot for 4th lor which is not uploaded yet. If I assign all 4 lors to applied programs, will the 4th lor be sent to the programs automatically when it is uploaded later? Can I assign unuploaded lors to programs now?

Yes. When it is uploaded, it will be sent automatcially.

If a program asks for 3 letters, is it bad to send along the 4th? I don't want people to think I can't follow directions, but I feel like if I have 4, I should just send them all to everyone...

I can't imagine that a program will ding you for sending 4 letters. ERAS this year prevents anyone from sending more than 4.

Thanks!

I would like to know this too. For some reason it feels like we can't. :eek:

I asked this question regarding MSPE letter earlier and want to add this to the LOR FAQ.

"Do I have to also add my MSPE letter to the LOR list in ERAS? Do I need to assign the MSPE letter to the program I'm applying to or is the MSPE letter automatically uploaded and released to all programs I applied to?

I'm currently thinking of submitting 1 chairman letter + 3 faculty LORs if I don't have to assign MSPE letter (and use up one of the four LOR spots)."

Answer from Prop
"No, you don't have to add the MSPE to the LOR list in ERAS. The MSPE is another entity than the LOR's.
You don't have to assign the MSPE to any programs, it is automatically sent to all programs applied to when it's uploaded to ERAS.
You can certainly submit 1 chairman's letter + 3 LOR's. The MSPE doesn't count towards the 4 LOR limit."

How does having 2 letters in, but 1 letter not coming in until Oct 1st affect your application? Will it hold up interviews?

I'm also wondering this. My app is complete, but I've only got 1 letter in...My other 3 should be up in the next 2 weeks or so.

Do places ever send out invites before all letters are in? I would hate for this to hold up my apps...

It purely depends on the program and field.

Some programs may evaluate files with 1, or 2 letters. Some may wait for 3. Some may not look at any applications until Oct 1, so it won't matter either way.

Bottom line: It's out of your control, you can't possibly find out, and there's nothing you can do about it. I recommend a Mojito to help you chillax!

Some programs may evaluate files with 1, or 2 letters. Some may wait for 3. Some may not look at any applications until Oct 1, so it won't matter either way.

Bottom line: It's out of your control, you can't possibly find out, and there's nothing you can do about it. I recommend a Mojito to help you chillax!

Mmmm...Mojito...droooool, I know just the place!

Thanks, though. That's pretty much what I figured, I just wanted some "official" confirmation.

Quick question that I just want to make sure about. If I finalize 7 potential letter writers eras will store it? and I can assign letters after I submit? for instance, can I have zero assigned letters to programs and assign them after I submit my app? Finally, can if I change my mind, can I unassign a letter after submission of my app and assign another letter in it's place? This lor drama is the only thing holding me back from submitting because none of my letters have been sent to my deans office yet!

Quick question that I just want to make sure about. If I finalize 7 potential letter writers eras will store it? and I can assign letters after I submit? for instance, can I have zero assigned letters to programs and assign them after I submit my app? Finally, can if I change my mind, can I unassign a letter after submission of my app and assign another letter in it's place? This lor drama is the only thing holding me back from submitting because none of my letters have been sent to my deans office yet!

Almost all of these questions are answered in this thread. The answer is essentially yes, except that, I believe once you assign a letter, it goes to that program and you can't un-assign it.

Finally, can if I change my mind, can I unassign a letter after submission of my app and assign another letter in it's place?

I know eras allowed me to do this for a letter I had finalized a slot for and assigned to programs. However, this letter had not yet been received by my school to upload to eras. I also believe that my new letter (which had been uploaded after I submitted, but not yet downloaded by programs) was still clickable as well. The other letters I assigned that had already been uploaded and downloaded by schools were no longer clickable. It was a pain though to check/uncheck letters for each school individually.

Update: Apparently, they 1 letter is enough to start, because I just got my first interview. :soexcited:

I'm an applicant for IM, and I recently received a new LoR (a last minute submission) from my Medicine Program Director (also my core clerkship director). However, since I've already submitted 4 LoRs peviously, ERAS will not let me assign any more to the programs. Nevertheless, since this is an IM letter (only my second one), I think programs would be interested in seeing it. Would it be a good idea to e-mail programs and offer to have the letter mailed or faxed to them. Or would it turn them off? Some have suggested I just bring it with me to interviews.

Hi, I was looking through schools' websites and many say that they require three LORs, would sending four letters in this case be overkill or alright? I realize this is a very obnoxious question, but I don't want it to look like I can't follow directions.

Dumb question, can schools see the total number of finalized LORs, even if I haven't assigned one of them to any school? I have 3 great letters (which are assigned) and am on the fence about assigning the 4th.

Dumb question, can schools see the total number of finalized LORs, even if I haven't assigned one of them to any school? I have 3 great letters (which are assigned) and am on the fence about assigning the 4th.

If it's not assigned, they can't see it.

So how do you send finalized letters to programs after you have submitted your application? I don't see an area where this can be done.

So how do you send finalized letters to programs after you have submitted your application? I don't see an area where this can be done.

You should have finalized your letters before sending your application, I dont think it allows you to submit without it. Anyhow, the letter of recommendation section in the application is where you finalize your letters. Its a 3 step process.

Thanks!

Any updates I should add to the first post?

I don't think it is any more possible to send more than 4 letters (by deactivating a LOR previously submitted). In this year's ERAS LORs get locked once you submit your application to a program (not when you select a program). :)

I don't think it is any more possible to send more than 4 letters (by deactivating a LOR previously submitted). In this year's ERAS LORs get locked once you submit your application to a program (not when you select a program). :)

Thanks I just deleted that section entirely.

I think the confusion is over the term "locked." So if you assign a letter that's ready to go in the PostOffice, you cannot rescind that letter.

However, if you have a "finalized" letter that is still not uploaded (so it grays out when you actually try to attach it to a program), this is a letter you can always attach later once it becomes available in the Post Office. However, the programs will not know that there's a pending letter that's been finalized but not yet uploaded/available in the PostOffice.

Hi, I was looking through schools' websites and many say that they require three LORs, would sending four letters in this case be overkill or alright? I realize this is a very obnoxious question, but I don't want it to look like I can't follow directions.

Can someone kindly comment on this please...

Can someone kindly comment on this please...

It's been commented on ad nauseum (although not in this thread). Unless they say "only" 3 LORs, send 4 if you want. It won't make a difference unless your 4th LOR writer just won the Nobel Prize, but if it makes you feel better, go for it.

I have a LOR from an IM doc and assumed he was going to write me a strong general LOR, so I waived my right to see it. When I assigned it in ERAS for IM I got a message from them saying that the letter has Primary Care written in it, and may hurt my application if I assign it to non Primary Care IM programs. At this point I don't know what to do, ask the doctor to re write the letter and leave out primary care or just assign it to IM programs anyway?

It's been commented on ad nauseum (although not in this thread). Unless they say "only" 3 LORs, send 4 if you want. It won't make a difference unless your 4th LOR writer just won the Nobel Prize, but if it makes you feel better, go for it.

Generally I advocate sending the specified number of letters. The exception being programs who use the phrasing "Minimum of" or "at least" X letters which means I can send more than X letters.

I have a LOR from an IM doc and assumed he was going to write me a strong general LOR, so I waived my right to see it. When I assigned it in ERAS for IM I got a message from them saying that the letter has Primary Care written in it, and may hurt my application if I assign it to non Primary Care IM programs. At this point I don't know what to do, ask the doctor to re write the letter and leave out primary care or just assign it to IM programs anyway?

That's an interesting dilemma. I didn't know you could get feedback about the contents of your LORs. However, I cannot imagine how talking about primary care would hurt someone's IM chances.

Last edited:

Thanks

That's an interesting dilemma. I didn't know you could get feedback about the contents of your LORs. However, I cannot imagine how talking about primary care would hurt someone's IM chances.

lol neither did I, until they sent me a message through the MyERAS message center and they mention that selecting a letter for a specialty that it is not written about could be harmful to my application at that program. I mean I like primary care and I know IM can do primary care, but should I only apply to primary care tracks or categorical as well? I really hope it doesn't hurt my chances tho!

This might be a dumb question but I haven't decided a final list of schools I'd like to apply to however, I have some profs waiting for the link from ADEA AADSAS to send in their LOR. Must I have completed my application first before any LORs can be submitted?

This might be a dumb question but I haven't decided a final list of schools I'd like to apply to however, I have some profs waiting for the link from ADEA AADSAS to send in their LOR. Must I have completed my application first before any LORs can be submitted?

The ADEA AADSAS is not ERAS, but ERAS does not require you to complete an application... you do have to input you LORs before they can be submitted, though.

Reactions: 1 user
The ADEA AADSAS is not ERAS, but ERAS does not require you to complete an application... you do have to input you LORs before they can be submitted, though.
Hahaha it most certainly is not ADEA AADAS. Apologies! Thanks for the helpful reply anyways :)