University of New England Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makinit09

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So..I just received an email from PharmCAS about the University of New England is now accepting applications thru PharmCAS..there deadline is March 2,2009...is anyone considering applying there since their status is no ACPE....

Members don't see this ad.

So..I just received an email from PharmCAS about the University of New England is now accepting applications thru PharmCAS..there deadline is March 2,2009...is anyone considering applying there since their status is no ACPE....

Yeah I got it too.

might apply for the heck of it.

I got the email as well. Not sure just yet. If you try to visit the school's website, the link is wrong on the PharmCAS page. I googled it and it is www.une.edu/pharmacy. That said, the school's entire website is down right now. At least, I can't look at it.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a scrub school with no accreditation status at all. Don't waste your $40.

If they are going through PharmCAS, I would expect that they are expecting to reach precandidate status so that they can open up their school. I don't think PharmCAS would have them if they were not on schedule.

It wouldn't hurt wouldnt' it?

but what is really so bad about not being accredited?

I mean, if you graduate from a non-accredited college can you still practice pharmacy?

whats the difference?

I mean, if you graduate from a non-accredited college can you still practice pharmacy?

nope. you can't even enroll students without some form of acpe accreditation.

i checked the google cache/wikipedia entry of the website/univeristy, looks like they have some other programs (DO, PA).

My concern is with stand alone programs, but it seems as though they have other established programs and regional accreditation, so I give this place a thumbs up in terms of applying as a back up school to see what happens. At least one hump has been reached (NEASC regional accred) and you'd qualify for federal fin-aid.

As always, do your research (look at my old posts regarding accreditation using the advanced search function).

If you know me, I never recommend anything. haha

On the PharmCAS directory, it seems like they're planning on opening Husson University in Maine as well. I'm not so sure if I want to apply to any of the two schools or not.

I have a good friend that goes to D.O. school there. She tells me it is an excellent school for osteopathic medicine. So there is a good chance that their pharmacy program will be good over time. Not sure if I am willing to take a risk for a new school with no accreditation and no class groups ahead of me.

I applied there in December, I called them yesterday asking how much tuition is. They said its not on the website yet. In the next few days they should come to a figure. And they don't know exactly when interviews will be.

I guess saying you graduated in the first class would be neat to say.

Maybe. I'd rather graduate from a reputable, long-standing institution with experienced and knowledgeable faculty.

The former dean of a pharmacy school told me that graduating from a non-accredited school MAY allow you to practice in that state but nowhere else. Why risk it?

Maybe. I'd rather graduate from a reputable, long-standing institution with experienced and knowledgeable faculty.

The former dean of a pharmacy school told me that graduating from a non-accredited school MAY allow you to practice in that state but nowhere else. Why risk it?

Each state's laws are different. Refer to your state board of pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)

nope. non-accredited = school doesn't exist.

nope. non-accredited = school doesn't exist.

There is a red lettered warning that shows up for schools that are non-accredited or not in the process of being accredited. I remember when I submitted PharmCAS that was the case for Regis and 1 other school (can't recall right now) so it surprised me when PharmCAS sent out an email announcing this "new school".

Tuition is in the range of 40k+ per year. ewwww

Yuck. I assume newer schools would be more expensive since they have limited funding, no alumni, and the cost of starting up a school is much more than maintaining one. Some schools also charge a lot because they know people are willing to pay that much to go. People who apply to non-accredited schools may have limited options to begin with so they might not be in a position to be picky about tuition.

Close minded... I go to a non-accredited school. I'm not fending for non-accredited schools, b/c they do have a danger and they THOROUGHLY explain the risks during the interview. So if someone wants to apply, you shouldn't try to deter them w/ your perspective once the information is provided to them it should be their decision.

BTW the school I go to, is the founding dean at Midwestern in Ariz and Midwestern in Glendale near Chicago... this is his 3rd College of Pharmacy he will be a founding dean of and through the accredidation process... we are up for candidate status in April and from what I have heard theres been very few schools who reached candidate status without being fully accredited (Maybe 3 or 4 in the history of pharmacy, who then later got fully accredited).

Good luck to those applying.

The award for the most consistently negative poster goes to this dude.

Close minded... I go to a non-accredited school. I'm not fending for non-accredited schools, b/c they do have a danger and they THOROUGHLY explain the risks during the interview. So if someone wants to apply, you shouldn't try to deter them w/ your perspective once the information is provided to them it should be their decision.

BTW the school I go to, is the founding dean at Midwestern in Ariz and Midwestern in Glendale near Chicago... this is his 3rd College of Pharmacy he will be a founding dean of and through the accredidation process... we are up for candidate status in April and from what I have heard theres been very few schools who reached candidate status without being fully accredited (Maybe 3 or 4 in the history of pharmacy, who then later got fully accredited).

Good luck to those applying.

Close minded? I don't think so. It's called reality my friend. Is there anything wrong with going to a non-accredited school? No. Is it risky? Yes. That was my point.

ugh you guys, totally bastardizing the use of non-accredited vs. pre-accredited vs. candidate vs. fully accredited. Since I know most of you are too lazy to go back to my eloquent description of the subtle differences, I'll spit it out for you here:

Non-accredited = doesn't exist, period. It's not a school. Hell, my living room is a non-accredited pharmacy school and I am the dean. Regis, Univ. of NE...aren't pharmacy schools yet, they're just thinking about it. Sure, they paid the $25,000 application fee for ACPE, but that's about it.
--> Impact for you: You can still apply, you can still interview, and in some cases you can still turn in a deposit. Here, give me $40 and you can apply to my University of Confettiflyer's Living Room. But you will never be able to set foot "inside" and pay tuition until I hit the next stage...

Pre-accreditation
= congrats! it's a school. This is THE most difficult status to get. Basically, ACPE likes what it sees and gives you its stamp of approval. It also means that they will ride your school's ass like a dirty hooker for the next 4 years (site visits, etc...)
--> Impact for you: It's a school, you're now allowed to enroll and pay tuition, etc...

Candidate = Assuming your school doesn't eff things up and follows the plan I just talked about, ACPE will upgrade your school to candidate within 1-2 years of you getting pre-candidate. Then, all your administrators will get tanked at the local pub in celebration.
---> Impact for you: the right to sit for NAPLEX, and when you graduate, you'll be a REAL pharmacist who can practice in all 50 states (assuming you pass your juris exam and NAPLEX). Huzzah! Time to waste that signing bonus on hookers and beer.

Fully Accredited = Somewhat a formality. Once the inaugural class graduates and sits for NAPLEX, you get upgrade to fully accredited. It's just a formality, essentially. Don't let anyone tell you that the # of people passing NAPLEX matters (well...indirectly it does, but that's another story).
---> Impact for you: nothing, same as candidate status.

So that's the rough and dirty version of it. These changes were instituted after the debacle involving HICP in 2004 (search for the LONG history involving this school). Cliff notes: That school bypassed ACPE and "opened" with 250 students with the intent of applying directly into "Candidate" status. Well, that application was straight denied, and the school closed and people lost $$$$$. This is the only time in the history of pharmacy schools that this has ever happened, ever. EVER!

Because of that, ACPE now requires schools to submit to the rigorous pre-accreditation process in order to even let students set foot onto campus for classes. So non-accredited US pharmacy schools DO NOT EXIST. IT'S TECHNICALLY NOT A PHARMACY SCHOOL (yet).

Last edited:
Candidate = Assuming your school does eff things up and follows the plan I just talked about, ACPE will upgrade your school to candidate within 1-2 years of you getting pre-candidate.

Should be "doesn't eff".

Other than that, :bow:.
I suggest that this post be a sticky as well, since no one can ever figure the difference out on their own.

Should be "doesn't eff".

Other than that, :bow:.
I suggest that this post be a sticky as well, since no one can ever figure the difference out on their own.

hahah...ooh yeah huh, i'll fix that. tends to happen when you're madly typing away.

i'll bug one of the mods about sticking this stuff in FAQ....but i don't think that'll stem the questions too much.

Confettiflyer is right. No accreditation or no ACPE status = No pharmacy school.

This school is planning on getting pre-candidate status right before September 2009. They will interview and accept students this year. If they cannot get accredited before Sept. 2009, the students who were accepted would be deferred and start class in Sept. 2010.

I read a little about them on their website and they seem to be confident that they will get accredited.

and, as an addendum, let me throw in regional accreditation

Regional Accreditation is done by one of the 6 regional accrediting bodies in the United States. These bodies accredit everything from grade schools to high schools to colleges and universities. Regional accreditation is a prerequisite to full ACPE accreditation. Therefore, a school that has been established (ie Stanford, Harvard, UCLA) has already met one of the criteria required of pharmacy schools.

Without getting into the nuts and bolts of it, how does this affect you? It primarily affects you in two ways:

1) Federal financial aid -- Since it's possible to go to an ACPE pre-accredited school that has yet to achieve regional accreditation, if you choose to borrow money, federal financial aid is unavailable as an option. Your only other option will be private loan programs that, on average, cost more and have less desirable terms and conditions.

2) Prerequisite validity -- If you attend one of the few schools that does not seek to become regionally accredited, those prerequisites you may have taken just might not count. These are typically Christian/fundamentalist/religious schools, online degree mills, or even schools operating as a branch of an internationally based school. Even some mainstream/public schools can be at risk of losing accreditation due to a decline in academic rigor or other mitigating reasons.

In any event, your prerequisites may count at institutions that have signed special agreements with that particular school, regardless of accreditation status. Since so much variation can exist, it's advisable that you independently research a school before you attend and not rely on any material actually given by the school. Often, a simple google search can serve as a good jumping off point.

This is getting ****ing disgusting. Does anyone else find it odd that all of the new schools are private institutions?? If there was really such a dire shortage as these lying *****-holes are saying, dont you think state funded institutions would be trying to start programs?? They are opening these schools and they don't care if they destroy the value of the PharmD degree. They just want the 150K in tuition.

The PharmD is going to be the next JD/MBA, no prestige. It seems like everyone knows the pharmd is ****ed and they dont care, so they are all just running up the money until the degree collapses.

Pharmacists are losing hours and having a difficult time finding jobs, and we haven't even started pumping out the new wave of pharmds coming up. 2012-2013 is going to be the worst. The current surplus of schools is already supplying the market to a point where jobs are not as available, what happens when all the new schools pump out over 2000 additional graduates every year?? And they keep adding more schools..... check out this list I compiled.....

Belmont TN -------------------------------Pre-Candidate**
Calilfornia Northstate CA -------------------Pre-Candidate**
Charleston WV---------------------------- Candidate**
Chicago State IL --------------------------Pre-Candidate**
East Tennessee State TN ------------------Candidate**
Findlay OH --------------------------------Candidate**
Harding, University of AR -------------------Pre-Candidate**
Hawaii at Hilo HI ---------------------------Candidate**
Husson University ME---------------------- No ACPE Status to Date
Incarnate Word TX ------------------------Candidate**
Lipscomb TN ------------------------------Pre-Candidate**
New England, University of ME -------------No ACPE Status to Date
NEOUCOP OH ------------------------------Candidate**
Notre Dame of Maryland*** MD ------------No ACPE Status to Date
Pacific U. (OR) OR -------------------------Candidate**
Regis*** CO------------------------------ No ACPE Status to Date
Southern Illinois Edwardsville IL -------------Candidate**
Sullivan *** KY ----------------------------PreCandidate
Texas A&M - Kingsville TX -------------------Candidate**
Thomas Jefferson *** PA------------------- Pre-Candidate**
Touro (CA) CA -----------------------------Candidate**
Touro (NY) NY -----------------------------Pre-Candidate**
Union TN ----------------------------------Pre-Candidate**

23 schools that have not graduated their first class yet. All of these schools will be pumping out new grads around the same time. The pharmacist shortage is OVER and they're still opening over 20 schools and they're starting new ones every year. When will it stop??? When the PharmD is so worthless that people are not willing to pay for the tuition for a worthless degree, and the private institutions can not line their pockets with the student loan debt of naive and underqualified students. There is my view on the situation, enjoy.

ok, then pick a new field to apply into, looks like you're not in school. Not that difficult?
Ok this is the worst response ever. I should just pick a different field because I actually care what happens to the profession? The profession that I enjoy and have been working at for years. I should just quit and let the students that were not good enough to make it into an established school, and the greedy and stupid administrators take over the field/degree and destroy society's entire perception of a pharmacist. Sorry for caring about the pharmd.

i mean people flocked to the pharmD over the past 5 years because of the a) job security and b) compensation. no reason that potential applicants can make the same decision except in reverse. If you've got Miss Cleo in your pocket and know something is going to be a train wreck 4 years down the line and you have an option to jump to something else, wouldn't you do it?

can't blame new schools for popping up everywhere, but i'd argue that a surplus is a better situation to have than a massive shortage because

a) shortage would have allowed mid-levels to come in and pick away at responsibilities that RPh's have just like family prac for MD's. If there were no shortage of family practitioners, you wouldn't see NP's and PA's flourishing right about now, same with CRNA's.

b) changes in JC accreditation have led to an increase in the demand for pharmacists only as the supply and quality has allowed, meaning certain roles for pharmacists have been mandated only as our education increased (BS to PharmD) while supply has been increasing. No way JC would have issued the requirement for PharmD's to be involved in ED workflow had there been such a massive shortage.

c) surplus weeds out those crap pharmacists that you've invariably worked for at one time or another. ie) the ones hiding in the back reading magazines while the phones ring off the hook. Shortage = no choice but to keep them, surplus = gone baby, gone!

You've got so many things changing in pharmacy on both ends (supply and demand) that it's gonna be a fun ride. But if you wanted a stable, non-changing career counting pills...this isn't the field for you!

Good reply, and I agree with all those points. I am sticking with it, I love working at the pharmacy and truly enjoy science/pharmacology, but I do see a more cut-throat environment for new grads around the time I graduate. If it gets too bad I'll just use my biology degree and get a job in wildlife ecology, buy a trailer out in the woods and fish and drink beer all day :).

This is getting ****ing disgusting. Does anyone else find it odd that all of the new schools are private institutions?? If there was really such a dire shortage as these lying *****-holes are saying, dont you think state funded institutions would be trying to start programs?? They are opening these schools and they don't care if they destroy the value of the PharmD degree. They just want the 150K in tuition.

The PharmD is going to be the next JD/MBA, no prestige. It seems like everyone knows the pharmd is ****ed and they dont care, so they are all just running up the money until the degree collapses.

Pharmacists are losing hours and having a difficult time finding jobs, and we haven't even started pumping out the new wave of pharmds coming up. 2012-2013 is going to be the worst. The current surplus of schools is already supplying the market to a point where jobs are not as available, what happens when all the new schools pump out over 2000 additional graduates every year?? And they keep adding more schools..... check out this list I compiled.....

Belmont TN -------------------------------Pre-Candidate**
Calilfornia Northstate CA -------------------Pre-Candidate**
Charleston WV---------------------------- Candidate**
Chicago State IL --------------------------Pre-Candidate**
East Tennessee State TN ------------------Candidate**
Findlay OH --------------------------------Candidate**
Harding, University of AR -------------------Pre-Candidate**
Hawaii at Hilo HI ---------------------------Candidate**
Husson University ME---------------------- No ACPE Status to Date
Incarnate Word TX ------------------------Candidate**
Lipscomb TN ------------------------------Pre-Candidate**
New England, University of ME -------------No ACPE Status to Date
NEOUCOP OH ------------------------------Candidate**
Notre Dame of Maryland*** MD ------------No ACPE Status to Date
Pacific U. (OR) OR -------------------------Candidate**
Regis*** CO------------------------------ No ACPE Status to Date
Southern Illinois Edwardsville IL -------------Candidate**
Sullivan *** KY ----------------------------PreCandidate
Texas A&M - Kingsville TX -------------------Candidate**
Thomas Jefferson *** PA------------------- Pre-Candidate**
Touro (CA) CA -----------------------------Candidate**
Touro (NY) NY -----------------------------Pre-Candidate**
Union TN ----------------------------------Pre-Candidate**

23 schools that have not graduated their first class yet. All of these schools will be pumping out new grads around the same time. The pharmacist shortage is OVER and they're still opening over 20 schools and they're starting new ones every year. When will it stop??? When the PharmD is so worthless that people are not willing to pay for the tuition for a worthless degree, and the private institutions can not line their pockets with the student loan debt of naive and underqualified students. There is my view on the situation, enjoy.

You really do jump to conclusions too fast!

So which one(s) of the schools listed charges $37,500-50,000 in tuition per year? Assuming a 4 year institution ($150K/4) or 3 year institution. ($150K/3)

Also, at least 4 of these are PUBLIC schools which you claim to be non-existant. (Chicago STATE University, Southern Illinois, University of Hawaii at Hilo, and Texas A&M at Kingsville)

And what's up with this...

I just printed off the application forms. I will probably finish it up in the next couple of weeks. I am also taking the pcat for the first time on Aug. 23rd. I am applying to 6 schools overall.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6964176&postcount=321

This was pulled from the Sullivan University thread. Did you really apply there and are now bashing it and other new schools?

Ok this is the worst response ever. I should just pick a different field because I actually care what happens to the profession? The profession that I enjoy and have been working at for years. I should just quit and let the students that were not good enough to make it into an established school, and the greedy and stupid administrators take over the field/degree and destroy society's entire perception of a pharmacist. Sorry for caring about the pharmd.

According to your Machiavellian prophecy, if you changed fields there would be one less noob(you) cheapening the degree. Anyways, do you really think that in the near future graduating pharmd's fill not be able to find work? Seriously?

For fun lets say that in 2015 there are way too many rph's than there are jobs. So tell me what happens?

Here's what I think. The rph surplus would probably get the same national attention just like the shortage did right. Then, are students that know there is no job security or availability still going to shoot out these schools? Not very likely. Then with less students pursuing pharmacy, and old fart rphs retiring things should level out. And pharmacy is evolving, there are going to be to areas of practice that we don't even know about yet.

You tell me what happens if a surplus hits? Im interested to know.

Internetzz, SRS BSNS. I love giving negative opinions on here because everyone is always so optimistic about everything. Its fun.

Almost every private school is above 30K, the highest i've found is 40K, these are for tuition alone, with any excess expenses (housing,travel), compounding private loan interest, 150-200K is easily feasible.

ok 4 schools out of 23 are public

Yes I did apply, that was before I realized that I am overqualified for many schools, and I assumed it was more difficult to get into pharmacy school. It was also before I knew anything about the rampant creation of pharmd schools/mills.

You tell me what happens if a surplus hits? Im interested to know.
Google the JD (juris doctor) degree. Same situation. Tons of people graduating with the degree and not finding jobs. They are also about $120K in debt. There is also a massive creation of private JD schools. Pharmacy schools could become ranked and tiered with the lower school's students taking the worst jobs or not having jobs.

taken from wiki-

"""The majority of law school students do not end up at an elite university, but many can, and often do, find well-paying jobs in prestigious private firms or selective government positions. However, because there are so many law schools—at last count, 194 accredited law schools that offer the J.D.—and so many newly minted lawyers (about 40,000 each year), it is impossible for every graduating student to find an elite job. Students from schools outside of the "lower tiers" might not fare as well, and may struggle to pursue an active career as a legal practitioner"""

Or we could be smart like dentists and shut down new school, if it ever comes down to it.

some, if not most, of you in this thread are the biggest bunch of dolts. WHY WHY WHY are you even considering a non-candidate school? This is shear stupidity. You have better odds in vegas than becoming a pharmacist!

hahah...ooh yeah huh, i'll fix that. tends to happen when you're madly typing away.

i'll bug one of the mods about sticking this stuff in FAQ....but i don't think that'll stem the questions too much.
If you want to put everything of use into one post, it can go in the FAQ. But, we should probably go with a succinct pretty version and include some key facts so that everyone understands the legal distinctions and progressive stages. For example, if a school opens before becoming pre-candidate it is not going to be able to be accredited per ACPE, you can't sit for the NAPLEX if you go to an unaccredited school, No NAPLEX, no license, etc. Here are the formal explanations from the ACPE website: http://www.acpe-accredit.org/students/faqs.asp#3 which we link to from the FAQ. But, it's helpful to put it here directly, and also the "what this means to you" stuff is :thumbup: .

Last edited:
This school may just be putting itself on PharmCAS for use in future application cycles. From what I have heard, it takes a long time to get set up with PharmCAS and schools that don't start early end up with paper apps the first year.

Yeah I probably should edit out the "riding your school like a dirty hooker" stuff before submitting it for inclusion in the FAQ's...hahaha :smuggrin:

some, if not most, of you in this thread are the biggest bunch of dolts. WHY WHY WHY are you even considering a non-candidate school? This is shear stupidity. You have better odds in vegas than becoming a pharmacist!

I believe you've mistaken to understand the growing competition for pharmacy school admission in the recent years.

The reason why so many pharmacy schools are opening now is because of the dramatic increase in the number of pharmacy applicants. Schools are businesses too and they see the growing demand in students wanting to become pharmacists as an opportunity for their institution. There is money to be made and a growing elderly population that needs the care of pharmacists.

As long as our elderly population keeps growing rapidly, we will anticipate a possible shortage in certain health care professionals. Hence, more health care professionals like doctors, pharmacists, dentists, nurses, etc are needed and more schools are required to train these professionals.

The competition for pharmacy admission is nothing like what it was 10 years ago, 5 years ago, or even a year ago. Ask any pharmacy school administrator, and they will tell you there is a dramatic increase in the number of completed applications they received in past three year.

For many applicants with a possible blemish on their transcripts or statistics, a back up school is absolutely required. Most of us understand why HICP was a disaster worth noting. But if it were to happen again, rest assure, many of us do want to become pharmacists bad enough to take similar risks. (The schools know this)

Since this school has a D.O. program, I too consider it better than just a stand alone school. To me, it's worth the risk. I'm sure many of you may agree. :)

Last edited:
I'm just wondering what's going to happen when this "population glut" aka the baby boomers all age and then eventually die. There's no similar population bubble following it up, so suddenly you'll have all these health care professionals focused on a rapidly shrinking geriatric population.

Granted, this won't exactly happen until the late 2020's at the earliest...pharmacists graduating in 2024 are currently 10 years old, don't think anyone here is 10.

I mean could we end up like japan, facing a shrinking population and a dislike for immigration, with something like a 26 year recession (granted that was for other things)? Or will something else come along to shake things up? Bah, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's focus on the 2010's first and see where we're headed into.

I'm just wondering what's going to happen when this "population glut" aka the baby boomers all age and then eventually die. There's no similar population bubble following it up, so suddenly you'll have all these health care professionals focused on a rapidly shrinking geriatric population.

Granted, this won't exactly happen until the late 2020's at the earliest...pharmacists graduating in 2024 are currently 10 years old, don't think anyone here is 10.

I mean could we end up like japan, facing a shrinking population and a dislike for immigration, with something like a 26 year recession (granted that was for other things)? Or will something else come along to shake things up? Bah, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's focus on the 2010's first and see where we're headed into.

At the rate of our medical and drug research and advancements, and as long as there are no major wars and catastrophes ("knock on wood"), the only population that won't shrink is the elderly population. Most likely, there won't be a rapid elderly population shrinkage.

There will be a decrease in the population in all the other groups. Look at how many kids we're having now as oppose to how many our parents or grandparents were having. Plus, with our contracted global economy, not many educated individuals will have more than 3 kids nowadays. Whereas, 3 kids or more was the norm a century ago or even half a century ago.

Let's face it, the way we're going, the elderly population will catch up and out number all the other groups. This can only mean job security for health care professionals.

Last edited:
thread_direction.gif

I believe you've mistaken to understand the growing competition for pharmacy school admission in the recent years.

The reason why so many pharmacy schools are opening now is because of the dramatic increase in the number of pharmacy applicants. Schools are businesses too and they see the growing demand in students wanting to become pharmacists as an opportunity for their institution. There is money to be made and a growing elderly population that needs the care of pharmacists.

As long as our elderly population keeps growing rapidly, we will anticipate a possible shortage in certain health care professionals. Hence, more health care professionals like doctors, pharmacists, dentists, nurses, etc are needed and more schools are required to train these professionals.

The competition for pharmacy admission is nothing like what it was 10 years ago, 5 years ago, or even a year ago. Ask any pharmacy school administrator, and they will tell you there is a dramatic increase in the number of completed applications they received in past three year.

For many applicants with a possible blemish on their transcripts or statistics, a back up school is absolutely required. Most of us understand why HICP was a disaster worth noting. But if it were to happen again, rest assure, many of us do want to become pharmacists bad enough to take similar risks. (The schools know this)

Since this school has a D.O. program, I too consider it better than just a stand alone school. To me, it's worth the risk. I'm sure many of you may agree. :)
I think you've mistake the fact I don't really care. I think its hilarious that some students are so incredibly desperate they will go to some POS school and spend 200k on tuition to get a piece of paper that more than likely you don't deserve. Anyone below a 3.0 in undergrad, at ANY university, does not deserve to get into the pharmacy profession. Anyone below a 60 pcat shouldn't be allowed in either.

I really wish there were tougher standards to get into school. These new schools really cheapen the field....

Yeah I probably should edit out the "riding your school like a dirty hooker" stuff before submitting it for inclusion in the FAQ's...hahaha :smuggrin:

nah, I think it gives it character!

I think you've mistake the fact I don't really care. I think its hilarious that some students are so incredibly desperate they will go to some POS school and spend 200k on tuition to get a piece of paper that more than likely you don't deserve. Anyone below a 3.0 in undergrad, at ANY university, does not deserve to get into the pharmacy profession. Anyone below a 60 pcat shouldn't be allowed in either.

I really wish there were tougher standards to get into school. These new schools really cheapen the field....

Not sure what you don't care about. If you really don't care about this topic, you wouldn't have responded to my post and advocate "tougher standards to get into pharmacy school".

Anyways, New Schools do have high standards too. Just like any other pharmacy schools, they rarely accept students below a 3.0 and below a 70 PCAT composite score.

And if they do make an exception to the rule, it's usually an applicant with a low GPA (>2.8) and an extremely high PCAT (>80s or >90s) or average PCAT (50s, 60s, PCAT) and a high GPA (>3.5)

This is the trend I've observed. Most of us know the standards to getting into pharmacy school will only get tougher...and it should be no different for the university of new england.

yeah i haven't seen many sub 60's / sub 3.0's posting acceptances on here...one or the other but never both. Then again, SDN is always anecdotal. I'd love to see the aggregate data. You'd think with the sharp rise in applications, schools (even new ones) end up picking the top X% of students anyway.

I talk to new pharmacists at work that graduate from top programs (USC, specifically) and many say they wouldn't be able to get in if they applied now. I look at students entering my undergrad and their stats and I probably wouldn't be able to get into that school if I applied now. I remember discussing this with one of the faculty members at UHH... students in their inaugural class wouldn't be competitive in the 2nd round of admissions, I see that with my school now.