Hey Caver! (the equipment comparing thread, with pics)

Started by Epic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Spiri,

Pretty cool...did you PS it? You didn't take 3 separate shots per se...but did you take a shot..then create a 3 different pics of different exposures??

I've never heard of HDR...

Never heard of HDR? I thought you had some street cred as photography guy. Spiriva just knocked your butt off the Photography pedestal. You are suspect now...Spiriva is the Photography master.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
but kind of refreshing since it's so surreal looking...you kind of look at you surroundings with this processing technique in mind, and shoot differently. 😛

Sure is surrealistic! 👍 Do you plan on trying this HDR technique with people and pet pictures, too? I wonder how those would turn out...
 
Sure is surrealistic! 👍 Do you plan on trying this HDR technique with people and pet pictures, too? I wonder how those would turn out...

Yes!!! I was just thinking about that today! Definitely want to try it with people...and animals. The detail probably looks crazy! Just have to get them to sit still.

And I want to see how it turns out with fireworks this weekend! That'll be my next shoot. 😀
 
Never heard of HDR? I thought you had some street cred as photography guy. Spiriva just knocked your butt off the Photography pedestal. You are suspect now...Spiriva is the Photography master.
bull****...I am the superior photographer on this forum because I am smart enough to buy a Nikon!
 
Yes!!! I was just thinking about that today! Definitely want to try it with people...and animals. The detail probably looks crazy! Just have to get them to sit still.

And I want to see how it turns out with fireworks this weekend! That'll be my next shoot. 😀

Until you posted these pictures, I had never heard of HDR. (I guessed it stood for High Definition Resolution ... or High Depth Resolution... until I looked it up here http://www.hdrsoft.com/videos/videos.php?vid=W1 and discovered it stands for High Dynamic Range) Tone mapping, exposure blending, wow so many things to experiment with! Ought to be a blast working with your upcoming fireworks photos- have fun! 😀
 
Until you posted these pictures, I had never heard of HDR. (I guessed it stood for High Definition Resolution ... or High Depth Resolution... until I looked it up here http://www.hdrsoft.com/videos/videos.php?vid=W1 and discovered it stands for High Dynamic Range) Tone mapping, exposure blending, wow so many things to experiment with! Ought to be a blast working with your upcoming fireworks photos- have fun! 😀

Yep! Exactly! That's the program I used too! 🙂

How do you intend to bracket such a fleeting subject? Or do you massage the exposure bracketing with RAW?

Honestly, I'm not sure how I'll do it. Almost everything I learn about photography is just done by experimenting...so we'll see if it works. 😛 Not sure if something so variable and dynamic really works with HDR, but there's only one way to find out!

Otherwise I'll just stick to plain old standard processing (like these shots I got last year). Think this time I'm going to find a different angle of the fireworks (haven't really decided where though yet). And hopefully the smoke won't be blowing in my direction again!

img1713l.jpg



img1758w.jpg
 
Fireworks are lame. Just drive a few blocks West of Hopkins into the ghetto and get some pictures of some dude getting shot. THEN do that little imaging trick.

Only if you come with. Though I wouldn't recommend walking around pointing at your hat.

What's your weekend sched look like in the next month or two? You can show me around West, By God...I'll shoot, and you can show the SDN world where you're from.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Only if you come with. Though I wouldn't recommend walking around pointing at your hat.

What's your weekend sched look like in the next month or two? You can show me around West, By God...I'll shoot, and you can show the SDN world where you're from.

I work next weekend. After that i think im cool for a while. I think I might take a vacation eventually...we'll see.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll be going a lot to acadia this summer. What would be a decent starter camera in the 400-600 range? I wouldn't mind going with a used one as well.

Acadia as in Bar Harbor and Cadillac Mt? I was just on the other side of the harbor 2 weeks ago...what a beautiful place! 👍

Pick you up a used Canon 40D... then get you a Canon Nifty Fifty... 50mm f1.8...or a kit lens.... as you can see from Echo's posts that his pride and joy lens breaks... Nikon.
 
Yep, beautiful indeed. My wife and I were just there a few weeks ago. We recently moved to ME and I couldn't be happier.

Yeah, I've had several people tell me good things about the 40D. My friend has the canon eos rebel which echo mentioned.

You think in the long run I'll be happier with the 40D? Used on amazon, they're running at 750. Ouch. But if it's better in the long run (more customizable??, etc.), then maybe I'll bite the bullet and get it.

40D's what I've got!

Posted via Mobile BlackBerry Device
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yep, beautiful indeed. My wife and I were just there a few weeks ago. We recently moved to ME and I couldn't be happier.

Yeah, I've had several people tell me good things about the 40D. My friend has the canon eos rebel which echo mentioned.

You think in the long run I'll be happier with the 40D? Used on amazon, they're running at 750. Ouch. But if it's better in the long run (more customizable??, etc.), then maybe I'll bite the bullet and get it.


Man...there's usually a handful of used 40Ds for sale in my area Craigslist...and usually at a good price. Because you can expect a shutter life of 100,000 actuations, you can expect a long lasting body with 40D. My 3.5 year old 20D has 13,000 actuations and the 5D still has less than 5000 actuations.. At this rate, I'll have these 2 bodies...like forever.

We tracked through Calais and Machias...then to Portland.. Nice state this time of the year.
 
What's the weird, cheap Aldi grocery/ Ford Taurus version of DSLR? I don't want the same thing y'all got.


Get you a Canon 30D....none of us have it. It's slightly an upgraded version of my 20D and you can pick it up dirt cheap.

You wanting new or used?