Hey Caver! (the equipment comparing thread, with pics)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epic

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Look at my new toy!! It's fast, silky smooth, and crystal clear!!! But weighs a ton!

Did you go with Nikon system?? You will never get to appreciate the power of L !!!!

img7387ba7.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

hold old is that lens? It looks like a dinosaur!

I went with Nikon...I got a 70-200 as well...I love that thing! Enjoy your new toy!

hold old is that lens? It looks like a dinosaur!

I went with Nikon...I got a 70-200 as well...I love that thing! Enjoy your new toy!

Dood.. it don't look like a dinosaur!!! I would like a 2X teleconverter!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have an ultra wide-angle? It's a MUST! I have a 12-24...I either use it or the 70-200

check out this picture I took with the wide angle
I love her hair :love:. Gorgeous color. You can't get that out of a box!

Awesome picture! :thumbup: No, I don't have an ultra wide yet. I have 50mm 1.8, 25-78, 75-300, and 70-200. I'm going to ditch 50 & 75-300 and find a ultra wide angle and 24-105.

Do you have an ultra wide-angle? It's a MUST! I have a 12-24...I either use it or the 70-200

DSC_0047.jpg

Dude,

you're taking quality pics! Just imagine what you could do with Canon system! :smuggrin:

here's another I took with the wide angle...this dog is neurotic as sin too

DSC_0048.jpg

dude...why do you want a 24-105 when you got a 25-78?

one more ultra and my next post will be one with the 70-200

Thanks for the compliment

DSC_0022.jpg

Did you shoot the rodent?

I just got the lens today. Haven't really had time to shoot. But did some test shots with it. Can't wait till tomorrow. Let there be light!!!

Wanted to check the clarity.

img7360hx7.jpg

img7354de5.jpg

img7406ze5.jpg

Is that a photo of Epic manor?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that a photo of Epic manor?

The tree belongs on Epic manor... but the house in background is my neighbor...if you look at it carefully, you'll see a University of Texas Longwhorn flag... which will never ever fly on my property.

Look at my new toy!! It's fast, silky smooth, and crystal clear!!! But weighs a ton!

Did you go with Nikon system?? You will never get to appreciate the power of L !!!!

Awww...Tease.

I've had my head buried in the new B&H for the past few days...

Finally decided on the 5D....next Christmas. Not sure which L I'll eventually go with though.

Awww...Tease.

I've had my head buried in the new B&H for the past few days...

Finally decided on the 5D....next Christmas. Not sure which L I'll eventually go with though.

Oh baby... 5D is sweeeet!! Canon will discontinue 5D soon. You can get a 5D body for around $2,000 now... 70-200 f4 L is the cheapest L... at around $529. You gotta pay for f2.8. I recommend 70-200 f4 IS over f2.8 IS cuz f2.8 IS is like really heavy.

You will probably get a better deal from Adorama or OneCall over B&H...though I will be visiting B&H in a week and half!

Your first lens should be EF 24-70 f2.8...if you want an L.

The tree belongs on Epic manor... but the house in background is my neighbor...if you look at it carefully, you'll see a University of Texas Longwhorn flag... which will never ever fly on my property.

LOL it's like the ESPN commercial with the couple doing Pictionary. Hook 'em Horns. MuuuuWAHAHAHAHAH

LOL it's like the ESPN commercial with the couple doing Pictionary. Hook 'em Horns. MuuuuWAHAHAHAHAH

Actually it's quite fun. Their kids are all die hard horns except for one who loves USC. But they have been very very quiet. A&M has owned them 2 years in a row. Gotta love it.

Oh baby... 5D is sweeeet!! Canon will discontinue 5D soon. You can get a 5D body for around $2,000 now... 70-200 f4 L is the cheapest L... at around $529. You gotta pay for f2.8. I recommend 70-200 f4 IS over f2.8 IS cuz f2.8 IS is like really heavy.

You will probably get a better deal from Adorama or OneCall over B&H...though I will be visiting B&H in a week and half!

Your first lens should be EF 24-70 f2.8...if you want an L.

Yeah...I haven't bought much from B&H. But I love the catalog...and I'll be strolling through the store next week too...it's wonderland.

They're d/c'ing the 5D?! Bummer...Guess I'll be getting it sooner than next Christmas :smuggrin: I was planning on getting only the body anyways.

Did you consider the 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS?

Yeah...I haven't bought much from B&H. But I love the catalog...and I'll be strolling through the store next week too...it's wonderland.

They're d/c'ing the 5D?! Bummer...Guess I'll be getting it sooner than next Christmas :smuggrin: I was planning on getting only the body anyways.

Did you consider the 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11204739&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

But I've seen some in $1900's on ebay. No, I was never interested in 100-400mm. Because I can add a 2X teleconverter at $279 to get to 400mm with better F stop with my 70-200mm. Also, I value 70mm to 100mm range... important for portraits.

The D3 is a much better camera for the money versus the 5D.

In all honesty though....their "advantages" are bull****. you can get by just fine with a $1000 dollar body from both Nikon or Canon

The D3 is a much better camera for the money versus the 5D.

In all honesty though....their "advantages" are bull****. you can get by just fine with a $1000 dollar body from both Nikon or Canon

Dood, you is crazy...

It's all about the sensors when it comes to DSLR. 5D has a nice sensor...which lower cost Canon DSLR can't compete with. Not sure about how it compares to Nikon... but looks like to me, at lower ISO, Canon performs better.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3/vs-5d-180mm.htm

But really... when will you ever use ISO above 3200? Heck...I never go out of 100.

It just looks like a bunch of bears. I'm starting to get dizzy. Too many bears.

Put the mouse over the bears. One is canon and the other is nikon.

you should compare D3 with Canon 1DS Mark III. Then again, here is the king of digital camera.

hasselbladh3dcamerazoomwk2.jpg

Put the mouse over the bears. One is canon and the other is nikon.
Now I'm just dizzier. It's like a bad trip. Look at the colors... they keep changing... oh the pretty colors.
j/k

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11204739&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

But I've seen some in $1900's on ebay. No, I was never interested in 100-400mm. Because I can add a 2X teleconverter at $279 to get to 400mm with better F stop with my 70-200mm. Also, I value 70mm to 100mm range... important for portraits.

Way to throw a wrench in my beginning of the year budget...I was all set for the entertainment system!

I like Nikon's too C-ject...this is what I've been using for years. And even though it's older than me, it takes the pertiest pics. If you want to see dinosaurs, you should see the lenses I've got for the FE.

Few years ago I would've called myself blasphemous for even considering a digital SLR. My house will still have a darkroom.

fe_i.jpg

Of course 35mm film will provide clearer and more precise pictures. There aren't many cameras with large enough sensor to equal a 35mm film. But DSLR is oh so easy and fast. And you can shoot thousands of pics... can't do that with film. I recall a roll of 36 was considered a large roll. And we used to stress over each and every shot.... no longer.

Way to throw a wrench in my beginning of the year budget...I was all set for the entertainment system!

I like Nikon's too C-ject...this is what I've been using for years. And even though it's older than me, it takes the pertiest pics. If you want to see dinosaurs, you should see the lenses I've got for the FE.

Few years ago I would've called myself blasphemous for even considering a digital SLR. My house will still have a darkroom.

fe_i.jpg

Entertainment system >>>> camera.

That is all.

I beg to differ young man.

Photography >>>>>> Passive Activities with Entertainment system.

The level of creativity and the realm of possibilities with photography are definitely more stimulating than an entertainment system.

The level of creativity and the realm of possibilities with photography are definitely more stimulating than an entertainment system.

Passive my a$$. Entertainment system = sports = more activity then a workout. Not to mention the stimulation of a finely tuned 7 speaker system and the latest Sci-Fi/Fantasy movie. And really if I wanted active and stimulating, I'd head up to the gym for some volleyball or basketball. Nothing like a gym of type A's Med/Dental/Pharm/etc students playing sports. :smuggrin:

Plus I agree with the previous poster all I saw with the pictures was most of a teddy bear face. If I wanted to do creative things, I'd start working with wood. I suppose there's a reason I'm not asked to take pictures anymore. Never thought about that. :idea:

Passive my a$$. Entertainment system = sports = more activity then a workout. Not to mention the stimulation of a finely tuned 7 speaker system and the latest Sci-Fi/Fantasy movie. And really if I wanted active and stimulating, I'd head up to the gym for some volleyball or basketball. Nothing like a gym of type A's Med/Dental/Pharm/etc students playing sports. :smuggrin:

Plus I agree with the previous poster all I saw with the pictures was most of a teddy bear face. If I wanted to do creative things, I'd start working with wood. I suppose there's a reason I'm not asked to take pictures anymore. Never thought about that. :idea:

Don't argue with an old fart with who does photography and also has an entertainment system with a theater.:smuggrin:

When I grow up, I want to be just like this guy.... retire to Costa Rica and take pictures.

****NWS**** http://www.crmodelplace.com/bio.html ****NWS****

Yeah....but Super Bowl party @ Spiriva's house. And 50" plasma sitting on a coffee table ain't gonna fly with these people....they won't be too impressed if I show them a 5D.

Don't argue with an old fart with who does photography and also has an entertainment system with a theater.:smuggrin:

When I grow up, I want to be just like this guy.... retire to Costa Rica and take pictures.

Yea, I sold most of my gear to pay for college, so now I a set of Atlantic speakers my 7.1 tuner and.. a 19" TV. And I'll argue with joo if I want about entertainment systems. I'm only slightly crushed about selling it. /cough I did love the install work though, fun to spend other people's money.

DSC_0047.jpg

Dude,

What brand 12-24mm do you have? Will it accomodate Full Frame without vignetting? I would hate to get a lens that won't work with full frame 5D... just in case I upgrade.

Yea, I sold most of my gear to pay for college, so now I a set of Atlantic speakers my 7.1 tuner and.. a 19" TV. And I'll argue with joo if I want about entertainment systems. I'm only slightly crushed about selling it. /cough I did love the install work though, fun to spend other people's money.

Just think... you could have used the gear to take pics to pay for college.

Soooo! How'd it go?

Get some good lighting? Late afternoon is my fave to shoot. We want to see the pics! :)

OMG.. it's the most unbelievable thing... it's great for outdoor portrait and/or action pictures. I took about 2GB worth of friend's kids and my kids playing in the snow... the subject pops out of the picture....

If you get a canon, this lens is a must.

Just think... you could have used the gear to take pics to pay for college.

I have friends from highschool trying to live on taking pictures, so I have a feel for the picture to payday ratio. I'd fail out of school long before I made enough money to pay for college.

Hey Caver...

Delete some of your messages. I couldn't PM you. :cool:

he was offered a vacation by a SDN mod.

he'll be back.