30+ MCAT Study Habits- The CBT Version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

omegaxx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Your individual scores and composite score
PS=14 VR=13 WS=Q BS=14 Composite=41Q

2) The study method used for each section
PS&BS: Reviewed all the materials (except Organic Chem, because I just finished a year long O. Chem course and knew it like the back of my hand). Practiced.
VR: Practice, practice, practice.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
Princeton Review all the way.

4) Which practice tests did you use?
I also bought AAMC 4-6 for building confidence two weeks before the actual exam.

5) What was your undergraduate major?
Pharmacology & English, although I took the exam after sophomore year so I just had the prereq sciences and five English courses under my belt.

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Read smartly, and read a lot, not just textbooks and scientific papers and newspaper, but also materials in the humanities department.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?
2.5 months (~10 weeks), averaging ~3 hrs/day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey, would it be a good approach to study all the content(while doing problems and tropical tests/quiz from kaplan) and become a master in 2 months and then practice test taking for another 2 months?

If you don't have the knowledge, then there's no point in taking the practice tests, since you'll be getting questions wrong because you didn't know the content, not because of bad test-taking strategies. If you think you have a good understanding of a subject, it's good to take a practice test to reveal some of your misconceptions and problems in test-taking.

I am re-taking the MCAT after getting a low score on my April exam. I'm taking it again in 4 weeks. It wasn't too long ago that I was studying for the April exam, so it's really just refreshing my memory for 4 weeks. My problem area was bio, so I'll be focusing heavily on that.

Any suggestions for an intense 4 week refresher?

thanks!

wow...never thought I would ever post in here...:D
36N (BS: 12; VR: 10; PS: 14; WS: N)

BS-I honestly did not study for this section much because I'm a life sciences major. I reviewed everything over and memorized some minor details that were high yield on the AAMC practice tests. Basically, don't memorize too much for this section. The info is usually all in the passages and most questions are not detail oriented. I also didn't study ochem much because there's usually one passage for which basic ochem is required (sometimes you can use gchem knowledge for the ochem passages).

PS-I studied for this section very thoroughly. Really got down all the concepts through notes and flashcards and used mostly the practice tests for practice. I used about 1/4th of the TPR hyperlearning book for physics and gchem which might have helped. Many people on here tout practice as the best way to get good. I agree with this except for with PS. PS is really about just knowing all the material inside-out. Once you master the concepts the questions are really not too bad.

VR-I studied for this section the most. Did all the TPR verbal material, did EK101, and of course practice tests. The passages on the real deal were longer and the questions were not exactly like the practice exams. I suggest getting really good at reading fast, because if you have ample time for the questions, this section is really not a huge problem.

WS-I regret this section the most. I didn't study at all. I really wish I had studied at least a little bit, but w/e.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
I was enrolled in a TPR class, but I stopped going after the second week. Classroom stuff is really a waste of time unless you have no clue about anything. If your memory is relatively fresh for the MCAT topics, just self study.
**The TPR material (online and the workbooks) are invaluable. DEFINTELY get these or some other form of practice material (BR gets a lot of positive reviews)

All the TPR tests (1-9) first. By the end of my TPR tests, I was done with content review. Then I did AAMC 5-10.

Biology

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Honestly, you have to know the material. It is far better to master the material and not practice at all than to know the material superficially and do a ton of practice. If you do content review and use TPR/AAMC as practice, you should be alright.
Also, try hard to do prep during the summer when you don't have classes. It was seriously a pain juggling MCAT studying with my normal classes during the academic school year.

2.5 months of serious study.

good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
35O (PS12/VR10/BS13)

Info about me: post bacc student, worked in finance for ~ 2 years, only took college level physics as undergraduate, took all other sciences as post bacc. Had about 3 weeks to study for MCAT.

PS - studied physics only, since I took this class about 7 years ago. Read through TPR physics section once. Did not review G chem at all other than the class i took as post bacc. No time. Listened to EK audio osmosis while driving.

VR - practice all you want, i feel this section is highly variable. I could have taken all the practice tests in the world and I feel i would still average around 9-11. Did perhaps 6 tests in the EK 101.

BS - No organic chem studied at all. Read biology section in TPR once through. No time for anything else. Listened to EK audio osmosis while driving.

TPR for biology and physics, EK for verbal

all AAMCs only, didnt have time

Operations Research and Industrial Engineering

My biggest advice: take your basic sciences classes very seriously, and you won't have to study for MCAT at all. Don't waste your time on writing practice, ptrovided that you are able to string words together coherently.

3 weeks. I got blindsighted for a particular reason and had to take the exam 1 month earlier than what I had already signed up for. Studied only what I thought were my weaknesses.

PS=12 VR=11 WS=O BS=15 Composite=38O

All sections were essentially studied the same way. Go through the EK books and do all the in-book stuff as I go. Do BS one day, PS the next day and alternate till I am done. Total time about 1 week. After that I used Kaplan topicals to reinforce and identify weaknesses. Total time 1 week. Review EK books while focusing on weaknesses that I identified from topicals. Then I did all of the Kaplan Subject Tests to reinforce and identify further weaknesses. Review EK books again and focus on weaknesses.

EK books and then the Kaplan topicals and subject tests.

I used AAMC 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.

Biomedical sciences.

Identify your weaknesses and mistakes the entire time. If you show a tendency to make mistakes on certain question types then make sure you learn from that. The last two weeks you need to become the MCAT. Know the test so that nothing will surprise you. I can't stress the fact that I did this in 5 weeks enough. This way it is a sprint and you can remain focused on the MCAT completely until you are done. The last two weeks I did nothing but full length AAMC tests. Those will help you get accustomed to how the AAMC is going to present passages and questions to you and you can learn the formating. This test is as much about what you know about science and as it is about how much you know the test format. If you want to take 2 months for content review then fine.. but I suggest a two-week sprint at the end.

5 weeks. About 5 hours a day until the last week where I did AAMC's every other day and reviewed them the next day.

First off, can't believe I'm posting in here. I took the May 2 and thought the PS section raped me and then had a hard time with VS because of the jitters from the PS section. Apparantly it worked out ok.

Average with AAMCs prior to test: 32-33

May 2, 2009 test:
PS: 12
VS: 11
BS: 11
Writing: S
Comp: 34S

Honestly, I thought I got a 13 in BS but then again that curve is crazy.

TPR Review but MOST IMPORTANTLY stay AHEAD of that course. The TPR has a problem of having review up until the week before people take the test. This is bad in my opinion. What I did was I slowly, the semester before when I was abroad, went through the TPR material and made review notes and notecards of EVERYTHING. When it was time for the TPR review class to start, I had all my review material notes ready so I was already ahead of the class. This was great because you can review, study, and do the work ahead of the class so if you have problems, you can find them before its too late.
TPR is great but reviewing on your own is MUCH more important.
Also, ignore TPR's technique for verbal. It's a waste of time. You should NOT be spending five minutes ranking passages.

Princeton Review as stated above

All Princeton Review Diags (which btw are great. they're much harder but its like when you play baseball/softball and you practice using the heavier bat. when you use your actual bat for the real game, it's lighter and you swing better)
ALL AAMCs (Except 1 and 2 cause they're very old)

Biology

USE PROCESS OF ELIMINATION. IT IS YOUR BEST FRIEND. srsly.

4 months, about 6 *productive* hours a day. I'd say 8 but I distract myself all the time. ah fanfiction. *runs away*

I totally agree with GirlAnachronism. I started to panic on PS and I was praying to get above 10, so I'm thrilled at what I did get on that section

AAMC practice tests:
#3: 32 total, 10PS, 10V, 12B, didn't get the essays scored, taken on 1/10/09
#4: 34 total, 11PS, 10V, 13B, again, essays not scored, taken on 2/28/09
#5: 33 total, 10PS, 12V, 11B, no essays scored, taken on 3/14/09
#6: 36S total, 11PS, 13V, 12B, taken on 4/14/09
#7: 38R total, 13PS, 13V, 12B, taken on 4/22/09
#8: 37S total, 12PS, 11V, 14B, taken on 4/26/09
#9: 36Q total, 12PS, 11V, 13B, taken on 4/28/09
#10: 40S total, 14PS, 11V, 15B, taken on 4/30/09

My ACTUAL score, taken 5/2/09:
40S, 14PS, 11V, 15B EXACT same breakdown as AAMC #10.

I also posted these scores on the 5/2 thread

I took TPR. I actually took it twice, the first time while I was finishing my prereqs and working in a lab and volunteering. I got so burnt out I never took the actual test or any aamc practice tests.

The second time around was about 1-2 years later (oct 08) and i was working 9-5 so I had more time. Seriously, don't screw yourself over by taking the test before you are ready. better to wait an extra year and do well in your prereqs than push yourself to study, do poorly in your prereqs and get a mediocre score. You have the rest of your life to be a doctor, one more year is not much in the grand scheme of things, especially if it means the difference of getting in or not. Even though I'm an NT, I'm glad I didn't push myself through the process.

PS&BS: I used TPR and some EK, but I didn't find EK all that useful. I didn't think their material was that representative of AAMC practice tests or the real test I did take. I did get a free copy of audio osmosis, which was ok, but not worth paying retail for. I listened to it on the subway during my commute when I was still living in NYC. I stayed away from the other major testing companies because I heard many bad things about their materials, but that was my choice since I felt like I had enough materials.

Also, PS was always my weakest section (got a 6 on my first few TPR test, even though V and B were usually 10 or above ). I bought Nova Physics which I liked, even though it's not exactly like MCAT physics. It was great for content review well before I took the test. I know people also say don't, but I regularly used my physics and gchem textbooks. I started with them for content review because I was rusty, but I wasn't using them much the last month or so. i also got EK 1001 chem problems, which was useful for extra content review, but I stopped using all EK materials about 1 month before because they just weren't that helpful. I did use my old cell bio, orgo and biochem textbooks, but I probably was studying more in depth than I needed to.

VR: TPR materials, even though their passages are a little different than my actual mcat verbal was. They were the closest that I found, other than the verbal sections on AAMC 9&10. I did get and use EK 101 passages but it was really frustrating since there were many obvious errors and poorly explained answers. I thought it was not that helpful, and if I had been really pressed for time, I wouldn't have bothered with EK at all. Only get 101 if you really are in need of verbal materials. Ignore their scoring. I had an average of 9 on 13 tests, but was doing better than this on TRP and AAMC tests. I initially used the TPR method, but only until I was comfortable and then I stopped writing things down because it took too long, and just did it all in my head. Maybe I should have been more consistent, but my score turned out ok in the end.

Writing: use TPR's materials. its a simple formula to write these essays sentence by sentence. Just memorize the formula and practice applying it and you'll do fine. I thought my essays were crap compared to what I had written on practice tests and the actual questions ridiculously vague, but I did ok in the end.

Princeton Review + Nova physics, some EK (see above). I heard BR was good but I was getting pretty burnt out by the end so I decided not to get them. If you do get BR, just make sure you look at some testing strategies, since my friend told me BR is only content review, no strategies (POE, etc.)

Princeton Review and ALL AAMC. Seriously, I'm amazed at the number of people I met who all took Kaplan and didn't bother to even take ONE AAMC, only relying on Kaplan test. I stopped even taking TPR tests the last few weeks and never did the last 2 or so.

Also, definitely review everything you missed. I reviewed all missed questions and some that I got right but wasn't confident on my answers. This is the second best thing you can do after taking all 8 AAMC tests. You MUST have the concepts down cold on test day and this is the only way to be sure you have them completely down.

My first degree was in economics and I spent time working abroad and did Americorps, working in a microenterprise nonprofit in NYC before going back to finish my premed prereqs. I got a second degree in biology and minor in chem, so I was reasonably comfortable on the cellular/molecular portions of biol. I was rusty on A&P (but was ready by the time I did take the test) but there was almost none on my test, just a few very basic questions. Even the A&P passages were really cellular and molecular when it came to the questions. Also, part of my degree program was to take intensive seminars in which we read and discussed primary research papers (nature, science, etc.) and so I was reasonably comfortable with the weird experimental passages on my bio section (i had a whole passage hermit crab pheromones with a data table)...

If you haven't signed up for a prep class, DO it. Or at least, take a practice test and then decide if you need one. I spoke with 12 people who took prep courses, all Kaplan plus one who then also took Berkeley. Don't shell out so much cash until you talk to people who finished the class AND took the exam. I got some eyeopening answers from people and that's why I took TPR even though I couldn't find anyone who had taken them, only Kaplan. Talk to everyone one you can find who took the actual test and really pick their brain about how to study and what they would have done differently, etc. But also expect that they may not want to tell you much, especially if they did badly. You may have to read between the lines and ask gently probing questions to get the info you want.

Alsol expect that it will take you longer to really be prepared and ready than you thought. I went from being completely lost, especially on PS, to taking practice tests and expecting that I did poorly because they seemed too easy, so I must have done something wrong, but getting very high scores. DO NOT take the actual test until your AAMC practice tests are within the range of what you want to get. Yes, even if that means waiting another application cycle, since it can make all the difference. I spoke to so many people who regretted pushing themselves (and spending TONS of money) and then falling far short of their goals because they set an artificial deadline, because they just HAD to go to school THIS year.

off and on for 2.5 years, but really only seriously (8-12 hours/day) from March-April 2009. I got lucky. In jan 09 as I was getting settled to seriously start studying I got a very BAD compressed nerve in my neck. I literally could not sit up in a chair for more than 10-15 minutes every few hours until almost mid march, sleeping only 3-4 hours a night, with only a few days of less intense pain in that period. I got laid off in Dec 08, so i did have more time that I could in theory devote to studying, although because of my health issues, not possible until March.

39S (14 PS 13 VR 12 BS)

PS - I didn't study this much because I am lucky enough to be very good at physical sciences (I started off Ugrad as a physics major). However, I led a Gen. Physics workshop all year through my school, so throughout the year, I gained lots of experience thinking through all of the concepts so that I could understand them well enough to explain them to struggling students. I find this increases one's ability to understand the material in any subject.

VR - I read like a fiend, and have been for my whole life, and take difficult English classes at school. This defeinitely prepared me for some of the more difficult sections. However, I still found this section the most difficult, and had to prepare for this the most. I just took practice test after practice test, and focused on this section the most. Again, I think the best way to prepare for this material is to take rigorous courses

BS - This was hard, as I have a more limited bio background than most people taking the MCAT (I took summer bio and an upper level neurobiology course). That said, I deployed a unique study technique to prep for this. Since there are a lot of memorization questions on this section, if I was stumped on a practice test, while taking the practice test, I would wikipedia the answer. Sounds cheap, but it would usually stick in my head better this way (because the "oh sh**" moment upon seeing the answer would come sooner better than later)

WS - Didn't study at all.

Kaplan online prep course, and also AAMC tests

Kaplan/AAMC

Economics

Just keep telling yourself that it's not that hard. The tests you take to get through ugrad are MUCH harder than the MCAT (excepting the sheer length of the MCAT), and demand a much deeper level of understanding. So try and challenge yourself as much as possible with your ugrad courses, and the test will seem easier.

6 weeks of intense study (probably 15-20 hrs per week); like 2.5 months of light study

I'm so excited to post here!:)

31P (10 PS 11 VR 10 BS)

1st MCAT in July 08: 26M (7 PS, 10 VR, 9 BS)

PS - I definitely studied this section the most using EK. I read through the chem and physics books once without taking notes, then one time taking notes. I read these notes (about 1-2 pages per chapter) probably another 10 times at least before the big day. I also did all the end of chapter questions and end of lecture 30 minute exams. I did a little of the 1001 question books but then ran out of time.

VR - I didn't study too much for this section, but I did use EK's verbal book and methods. I think the most important thing here is to be able to focus on any topics, even the really boring ones. I didn't use the 101 questions from EK, but I've heard that's really good if you're having trouble.

BS - Again, I used EK for this section. I did the same note taking method as above from the EK books and did all the questions from the end of chapters and end of lectures.

WS - Didn't study, I think the improvement the second time around was just due to trying harder. The first time around, I felt so defeated by the test that I knew I wasn't going to get a good score and didn't bother putting in much effort for the section.

EK, AAMC tests

AAMCs-I was getting 8-9 on PS, 10-12 on VR, and 9-11 on BS

Psychology and Nutrition

Just keep at it and study hard! I studied really poorly for my first mcat and it showed, then for this one I buckled down and was much more prepared. If you're a slacker like me and can't make yourself study, what I did was make a set number of hours per week that I wanted to study then allow myself to be done once I reached that goal. I usually set it for between 25-30 hours a week and it got me more motivated to study knowing that I was racking up hours and could take the weekend off if I got enough in during the week.

A little during fall semester (enough to take notes on all the EK chapters), then about 25 hours a week for about 10 weeks in the spring.

PS=12 VR=10 WS=Q BS=15 Composite=37O

PS: I took kaplan pre course, and I read through the book twice totally. For the second time I also do problems for most of the sections to make sure I understand the material, after that I just started taking a crap load of practice tests. In between tests I did problems on topics that I wasn't comfortable with. I also listened to audio osmosis nightly, it did a great job at putting me to sleep. ;p
BS: similar to my PS strategies, except instead of doing lots of problems, I made lists of things to memorize such as the endocrine system. I also tried to understand how each system works and tried to remember the details, but I'm not sure if that helped me much. As for orgo, I just understood the basics and never really memorize anything hardcore.
VR:Tried practice and read some things off the economist.com, but I really didn't improve that much in the end. 10 was my VR score for my kaplan diagnostics.

Kaplan books (mostly) & ExamKrakers full set (only skim through some topics and looked at the graphs), EK verbal 101, phy and chem 1001, and Audio osmosis(highly recommended).

5 Kaplans and all 8 of AAMC ones

Digital Media, College of fine arts.

a. for VR- I noticed if I do it too frequently, my score goes down, so I stopped practicing it few days before my real thing, and I think it really helped me start fresh on the test date.
b. I actually learned this from this thread, but the week leading up to the exam, try go to bed and wake up at the same time everyday. Also take your practice exams the same time as the real thing, and eat the same food prior to the exam.
c. I think it's better to have at least two different companies' material, to make sure everything is covered. And sometimes different companies approach the same topic differently, which might help you understand the concepts better .
d. As for what formulas to memorize for Phy and Chm, get the EK books and it tells you specifically which one to memorize.
e. Timing during the test date is crucial!! One of my biggest fear was to run out of time during the test, which didn't happen. I stick to the rule of not to dwell on any question, and ended up with 10-15 min in both PS and BS section, and just enough time during verbal. That really helped me feeling confident after each section, so I can focus on the next one.

I started in Feb, but didn't start studying hard core until mid March. In Apirl I stopped all my other activities and did only MCAT. My test date was May 2nd. And I probably studied 3-7 hours a day.

Good luck everyone!!

PS: 10 VR: 11 WS: P BS: 12 Composite= 33P

BS & PS: I read through each EK book twice. The first time was a quick read and I did the the questions in each section. The second time I took notes (roughly 5 pages of notes per section) and then took the 30 minute exams. After I was done with that I just reviewed all of my notes. I bought the 1001 series and never even touched them. Also, The 30 minute exams were very indictative of my subset scores in BS and PS. I also went straight through each book and did not bounce around from one book to another like the EK 10 week plan says to. This is a personal preference as this is how I study for classes as well.

VR: Buy a verbal workbook and use it. This is the only way!!

All: I also listened to Audio Osmosis constantly! This really helps, although I will not miss the corny jokes!

I used Examkrakers complete study pack and anything that I didn't understand in there I would look at my old test books or use the internet.

AAMC 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.

Cell and Molecular Biology. This really helped my on the bio section.

a. Hey guys and gals!!!!!!!! THIS IS DOABLE!!!!!!!! Do not let anyone tell you otherwise or put you down. If you set your mind to acheiving your MCAT goal (if it is realistic) you will get there!
b. Start studying verbal as early as possible. I wish I would have started with verbal about a year early and done one passage a week until about 6 months out.
c. Use a study plan that will work for you. There are so many people on SDN that think their study plan/tactics are perfect and superior, but they may not work for you. Take what they have to say and synthesize your own custom study plan.
d. Keep doing activities that are not MCAT related to keep your sanity. Sometimes when studying for an exam like this you lose sight of what your ultimate goal is: becoming a great physician. When I'm at work with patients it reminds me of what I am work for (I am a nurse tech at a hospital).
e. TAKE BREAKS!!!!!!!!!
f. Between test day and when you get your scores, try not to think about the MCAT! I thought I failed and yet I did awsome. On that regard, NEVER cancel your scores!!!!
g. Good luck, keep your chin up. and you will do it.

4 months , averaging 20 -25 hours per week.

Hi Guys,
I find that I have done better on the Kaplan tests compared with the AAMc tests that I have taken. Although other factors may account for the difference I am wondering if anyone thinks the Kaplan tests are easier than the AAMC tests.
Thanks!:thumbup:

I found Kaplan tests a lot harder, and I usually do better on AAMC ones.. maybe it's just depending on the person.

PS: 08 VR: 11 WS: R BS: 11 Composite= 30R

(My first practice MCAT was a 24!) Psyched to hit the magic 30, but might retake...

VR: Kaplan Verbal-- However, if I retake it I will try another method-- I got the same score on my very first MCAT as I did on the actual-- no improvement. If anyone has any suggestions that have really improved their scores that would be awesome :)

Writing: Did not practice actually writing out the essay, just the prewrite (2 or 3 a week for 3 weeks)

All: Kaplan (course did not help really-- but the materials did) They have a pretty awesome online question bank, I feel that this was the most helpful in improving my score. I also listened to EK audio osmosis, really good for solidifying facts.

Mostly Kaplan, EK audio osmosis and AAMC tests

AAMC 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9

Natural Sciences-- but I completed it in 2 1/2 years-- definitely going to get my masters before heading onto medical school, I need a stronger foundation in science.

Relax a little and you will do fine. seriously. I did not study seriously for long and I really brought my score up. ALSO, do NOT void your score just because you feel like you did horrible. EVERYONE feels like they did horrible on some part of the test. If you have a serious issue, like not finishing a half a section or a mental breakdown in the middle-- then void your score. Just have faith in yourself and know that if you are at the point of taking the test, you are ready.

I took the course last summer, but did not study during this (was a good start to refresh the info). Before the exam I completed 3 weeks of studying-- and I gave myself one week break before the exam (I took it on a saturday, and took my last test the monday before). The day before I had a spa day-- which I HIGHLY recommend :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
PS = 11
VR = 12
WS = N
BS = 12
Composite = 35N

PS & BS: I took the Kaplan prep course and went through most of the material in the books they supply in keeping with the schedule of the class. I spent more time doing problems from the PS section because it was my weak area. About two months before the exam I stopped doing Kaplan material and started going through the ExamKrackers material and listening to their Audio Osmosis. I think this was the most helpful prep, they explain concepts in a much more intuitive way than Kaplan. I suggest using ExamKrackers for learning concepts and building foundations in the subjects then using Kaplan for practice problems.

VR: I'm a philosophy major so I didn't need to do much studying for this part. I just did some EK Verbal tests and the AAMC practice tests.

WS: I bombed this because I tried writing a coherent essay and didn't properly answer the prompt questions. Above all clearly answer the three questions in the promt; worry about writing a coherent, fluid essay as only an afterthought.

PS & BS: Kaplan class, Kaplan books, ExamKracker books, and EK's Audio Osmosis.
VR: I found the Kaplan verbal tests to be completely worthless. They have so many ambiguous questions/answers and plainly false logical reasoning. The ExamKracker's Verbal is a much better method and test. You really need to get a feel for MCAT Verbal and the only way to do that is with practice tests.

I took a couple Kaplan practice tests, but stopped doing them and started doing the AAMC tests. The Kaplan tests are nothing like the actual MCAT and are mostly just extra practice problems for learning the material. The AAMC tests are very similar to the real MCAT and everyone should do them.

My practice test scores: PS / VR / BS / Composite
Kaplan Diag 12/9/2008 8 9 9 26
Kaplan FL #1 3/1/2009 10 10 9 29
Kaplan FL #2 3/28/2009 9 11 12 32
AAMC 08 3/29/2009 14 12 10 36
AAMC 07 4/7/2009 13 11 12 36
AAMC 06 4/12/2009 11 14 11 36
AAMC 05 4/14/2009 10 11 11 32
AAMC 04 4/24/2009 10 12 10 32
AAMC 03 4/25/2009 11 12 13 36
AAMC 09 4/30/2009 11 11 13 35
AAMC Section Averages: 11 / 12 / 11
AAMC Composite Average: 35
MCAT 5/2/2009 11 12 12 35

Biology and philosophy. (That's analytic philosophy, for anyone who knows what that means. :D)

Make sure you have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts before you worry about memorizing the frivolous details. Learn, don't memorize.

4 months (January - April). I probably averaged 15-20 hours a week for the first couple months. After that I significantly slowed down doing about 10 hours per week, and for a couple weeks before the exam I did hardly any studying apart from practice tests. Mostly due to burnout. :)

PS=12 VR=11 WS=P BS=13 Composite=36Q

I took a kaplan classroom class and had an excellent teacher. I also made sure to do as much of my practice on the computer. I did use examcrackers questions for orgo cuz that was my weakest subject. For verbal i just did at least 3 passages a day and did 1 section test everyday to practice timing. I did a full length every saturday for 2.5 months before the MCAT.
Kaplan always they were the best

Kaplan FL's 1-7
and all AAMC exams

Microbiology and women's health minor

be motivated, its really easy to get discouraged while studying for the MCAT. Make sure you take one day off a week it really helped me focus.
I took a kaplan course from jan- april but i took 12 credits during the semester too. I had about 2 weeks free before the MCAT. i took it on May 2

Good luck to everyone:)

In 2006, I took a paper based 32L (i fell asleep completely during writing section =/) 12 PS 9 V 11 BS

In 2009 May 2nd test I scored : 37R

13 PS 11 V 13 BS

For 2006 Test, I took TPR. for 2009 test, I just used EK and my gf's old Kaplan notes

PS - I read EK, and realized WOW this thin book can teach me everything i need to know about PS! seriously. I did all the questions that accompanied each PS section. in few sections I felt unsure (such as electrochemistry), I purchased EK 1001, and studied those sections extensively.

== In Real May 2nd test, I thought i bombed it. I was going to just quit then and walk out. But glad i didn't.

VR - I used EK 101, but I also did EK regular. anyone check out EK regular verbal books? They teach some great stuff. Like I practiced to answer questions before reading the passage. They teach you that, and I think that helped me go from 9 to 11. THIS IS AWESOME STUFF FOLKS!!

BS - I am a 2nd yr grad student, and I must say, being a grad student helped me tremendously, especially with new/improved MCAT BS section. We have to read a lot of scholastic journals, and understand materials there ( I am a biochem grad student). I felt like when i was taking BS section, i was basically reading journals and answering questions. so i really recommend you to go ahead and start reading journals, or start doing some research, and help yourself getting on right track of doing well on BS. for orgo part, man i took orgo like 4 yrs ago. I forgot most of em stuff, and had to rely on EK to remind myself difference between SN1 and E1 and what not. EK is awesome. done.

EK and some Kaplan

alll of the AAMCs

Sadly, I didn't know AAMC offered practice exam till 2 weeks before the actual test. So i did like 4 a week until real test. something i could not have done if it was paper based like in 2006, but heck. comp based is much shorter and easier if you ask me.

Public Health

1) READ SCHOLASTIC JOURNAL. LIKE WOW, NOTHING HELPED ME MUCH AS THESE GUYS.

2) remember what i said? I said after my PS section in May 2nd test, i just wanted to cry and leave without finishing that section. think of it this way. If it is hard for you, then most likely it will be hard for other ppl as well. Which means by nature of curved score, you won't do as badly as you think you would. I was hoping for 9, and i got 13. but then again, BS was easy, and i thought i would get 15, and settled with 13.

2 months of actual studying and 12 months of reading journals

few people have PMed me about what i meant when i said: scholastic journals.

I was referring to cells, nature, or even AMJ (research journals)

hope this helps.

cheers

May 1st, 2009
PS=14 VR=11 WS=O BS=11 Composite=36O

May 2007
26Q

PS&BS: TPR books, Exam Krackers, and Kaplan. I read through Kaplan, read through TPR afterward, and I did a bunch of problems from EK/TPR, I also took the mini tests from Kaplan.
VR: ExamKrackers and all of the practice VRs that I could find

TPR/EK/Kaplan pretty extensively for all.

I took one of the AAMCs every weekend before the test, 3 then 4 then 5 then 6 etc...

Double Major, Chemistry and Biology

Have a good study plan in mind, and STICK TO THE PLAN! Don't change things up all of a sudden halfway through because you're thinking you're doing well, once you've gotten through all the material, keep identifying your weak areas, and work through any number of problems to get those weak areas into strong areas. I can't stress enough that EK Verbal helped me though... I think it's the best program, very intuitive. It's not bad to get an idea of what TPR or Kaplan do though...

3.5months, approximately 12-15 hours/week.
I spent probably 250 hours preparing for this exam. Possibly up to 300 hours.

Its funny how no one except Malayana used BR in the recent MCAT...

how is that funny? TBR is a small company that only offers courses in a few cities in california. There is no way I would have heard of them if i hadn't come here. So, despite their popularity on this board, only a minority of users will use them. The results of those who do speak for themselves.......

Heck, I'd say the number of people at my school who know of EK is 1% of all pre-meds. Most take Kaplan as that is the only one available. If you loo at this spread number one is Kaplan and number 2 is TPR. Guess which two are the largest companies?

True, but I figured since its so popular in this board(the books, not the course) that more people would use it in the recent MCAT.

PS13 VR 9 BS11, 33R

I did the Kaplan online prep course. I recommend this for anyone that needs/wants a flexible but structured program. I was taking some classes at the time so the amount I could put into MCAT study varied on a day to day basis. In terms of study method I mostly just followed the syllabus that Kaplan lays out - even the annoying post-lecture quizes and whatnot. I created a small binder with all the equations/diagrams/tables that I would need and referenced that regularly. I think this paid off for PS.

Aside from Kaplan... I listened to audio osmosis - I supposed they at least helped relieve anxiety. Also, I used the EK VR passage book which helped (hard to tell huh?).

AAMC - All
Kaplan - All
EK - tried one, too hard for me!

General Science: Chemistry + HumAnat/Physiology

A structured study really is important and the MCAT may be the first time you are seriously challenged in this regard (it was for me). You gotta chug away every day, and have faith that you're making progress. If you're like me, and have the tendancy to freak out and constantly second guess every study decision you've made, then hire a company to guide you through it. Regular full-length practices are a great way to maintain focus and (hopefully) relieve some anxiety. Don't put these off - the 26 that I got on the practice test 2 months before the actual did more for me in the long run than the 35 I got on the practice test a week before.

Usually 4-5 hours/day for about 4 months.

PS=12 VR=11 WS=R BS=11 Composite=34R

BS: Read through EK Bio and did all the quizzes and the like
PS: Looked at EK Physics for a few things I didn't get taught (fluid flow and optics) and did the quizzes on that
VR/Writing/Chem/OChem: Nothing at all, knew material from classes

EK

AAMC, took 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10

Chemistry with minors in Bio and Math, took it after my sophmore year, but I had a lot of advanced classes.

Advanced classes for sure really helped me especially cell biology and surprisingly analytical chemistry helped me a lot.

Not a lot, content review maybe 3 hours/day for 2 weeks over winter break then took a break and a practice test every week for 6 weeks leading up to the test.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their posts in here...just spent a lot of time reviewing the info. hopefully I'll get a chance to post after this summer :)

This will be my 3rd time taking the MCAT. I have attached a detailed pre test studying, CBTs and real test feel. Any help, suggestion, guidance are welcome. Thank you

Attachments

• STUDEnt doctor network.doc
    41 KB · Views: 623
PS = 12, BS =12, VR = 11, 35P

I used nothing but Exam Krackers. I had the complete set, never touched the Verbal guide. I sort of studied a teensy bit before coming home for the summer (maybe 1 hour a week since like February), but studied probably 8 or 10 hours per day from May 8th until my test on the 22nd. I just worked through the books, doing a mixture of chemistry, organic chemistry, and biology each day and doing every practice question in the chapters (I did none of the practice sections in the back).

I did not study for verbal at all.

I did not study for physics at all.

Exam Krackers for everything.

I glanced through the free AAMC, as well as the one included in the Exam Krackers section. I never took a formal practice test.

Biochemistry, with a minor in Classical Greek.

I have taken tons of advanced classes (biochemistry, molecular biology, cellular biology, genetics, physical chemistry, intermediary metabolism, chemical mathematics), and head a molecular biology and biochemistry research team in my mentor's lab. I kind of knew this stuff like the back of my hand even before studying.

If you really enjoy your class and do well in them, it really helps with the MCAT. I have a 3.5 sGPA at one of the most demanding universities in the country (all science classes curved to a 2.0 at most, my biochem class was curved to a 1.33, at a top 15 university).

Push yourself academically throughout your career and it will make the MCAT much easier.

Don't take yourself or what you do too seriously.

But you probably also shouldn't use my study method. I took no practice tests and never studied for half of the test, nor did I practice for the essays.

8-10hrs per day for 2 weeks leading up to the test. The Ironman Challenge.

PS=12 VR=10 WS=Q BS=10 Composite=32Q

2) and 3) Studied the least for verbal, as I've typically been strong in that area, and I feel it's difficult to prepare for. I started with an 11 on my Kaplan diagnostic for verbal, so that was an area I was a bit disappointed in, but verbal really is a crapshoot. So much variation with those.

For PS and BS, studied content intensely. Used Kaplan's books, Kaplan's classroom course, Kaplan's practice test, and Princeton Review's book. I ran out of time with practice tests, though, only getting to do 7.

Didn't really practice much for the writing at all. Did 2-3 practice tests, and then on the rest, I skipped the writing section.

The classroom course if worth it if you don't have much discipline. Otherwise, the only area they really help is the writing section. Quite frankly, if you could spend those same 6 hours a week studying on your own intensely, you'd learn more. It's just about how much focus you have.

From what I've heard, I'd recommend buying the AAMC practice tests if you can afford it. I thought Kaplan practice tests would be good enough, but I wasn't really satisifed with them. Seems like people almost always do better on Kaplan than the actual MCAT.

4) Kaplan practice tests only (probably a bit of a mistake, I'd recommend at least a couple AAMC)

5) Bio major

6) Stay positive and focus on what you can; you have to realize how much of a crapshoot some of this is. Some of the people above rocked the BS sections without studying for o-chem at all. I did the same, and got annihilated - the May 22nd bio section was really heavy in orgo (the actual bio part was easy, but there was orgo and even a biochem passage). If you have the time and start studying early, I'd really recommend trying to shore up all your weaknessess, but most of us don't have that kind of time.

For the essay, the biggest thing is to clearly hit all 3 points. Don't worry about stylistic points, and do not be flowery. Realize that the graders average less than a minute reading over your essay. Start with a clear outline, and stick to it. Make sure the essay is succinct, clear and easy to follow, and it's better to expand upon 1 or 2 examples than throw out a list of 5-6 examples that aren't expanded upon.

The best advice I can give? Periodically review your undergrad material long before the MCAT. If I had reviewed my orgo notes during the summer after my sophomore year, and then periodically throughout my junior year, it would have probably been a 2-3 point difference. As it was, I completely forgot even the simplest orgo. No matter how well you learn the material in your classes, don't underestimate how quickly you lose it. It's hard to review during the semester with other classes, but if you use your first couple summers to stay on top of your notes and review major concepts, you'll be in much better shape.

7) 4 months

Last edited:
I just wanted to thank
random.gif
everyone for their posts in here...just spent a lot of time reviewing the info. hopefully I'll get a chance to post after this summer :)

Forwarding it to my sis. Lots of good info here.

This thread was extremely helpful to me when beginning my preparation for the MCAT, so I thought it was my duty to attempt to help others after I finished. Although my score is not as gilded as many others here, my story is somewhat unique – hopefully it resonates with someone.

A little about myself:
Non-trad (2003 grad)
Work full time, family, etc.
Took post-bacc classes in bio (I,II, anatomy and physio) and Orgo to finish prereqs. I have all other prereqs from my undergrad (I have a BS w/ engineering minor)

PS = 11, BS =10, VR = 10, W=T; 31T

Practice Averages:
AAMC (3-10) PS = 10.1, BS = 10.33, VR =11.2; 31.63
Kaplan (4 tests) PS = 8.667, BS = 10.17, VR = 11; 29.8

I bought the Kaplan online class in late January, and I scheduled early for the 5/22 exam (later due to work and class requirements – I was finishing up pre-reqs during the semester). I began my preparation following the Kaplan syllabus and followed this through the third unit, and took my first practice test in early March. At this point, it was obvious that Kaplan was not effective (for me) in reviewing physics and gen chem, classes that I last took over 9 years ago. I then purchased the EK physics and chem review books, along with Verbal 101.

These books were key, and they have exactly the correct approach to the MCAT – ESPECIALLY for non trads. They do not focus on the memorization of equations, but rather the understanding of concepts – key for the MCAT.

Physics – finished the EK physics workbook and all of the problems.
Gen Chem- ditto
Verbal – EK 101, some Kaplan (I went from 8 to averaging about 13 on EK – I struggled a bit on test day with Verbal but it was usually my strongest section in practice. I believe 7 times out of 10 I would score over 12). See the writing section below – verbal and writing are inexorably linked.
Bio- Kaplan is good for Bio, great volume of problems and review material (notecards are great). Class and lab are key for this section! We used a program called AP Revealed for Physio lab and I cannot tell you how many times this helped – you can register for this program online.
Ochem- I was enrolled so my Ochem level of knowledge was strong (this helped on the actual test – where the AAMC brought a ton of what some would consider esoteric concepts to the table). Again, lab is key for this section, take lab seriously and know all of the basic Ochem techniques – separation, extraction, NMR, IR, GC, etc, etc. You can't learn these from a book.
Writing – I never wrote one practice essay and received the highest score possible. I don't know how important writing is, but they put it on the MCAT for a reason. I am a voracious reader – Harpers, New Yorker, NY Times. These publications have helped built my vocabulary over the years and my sense of proper structure and logical progression.

As you can probably surmise, my study process was not traditional – I did not follow any one syllabus. My basic strategy was to attack anything that I saw as a weakness, using any means necessary. How did I know my weaknesses? Practice tests, of course.

I said before that I used Kaplan and EK, but I also used Wikipedia, textbooks (for genetics), and my Evernote notes (check out www.evernote.com, it is an organization program) from my courses. Evernote allowed me to search through my school notes (that I had scanned into the program) and find info on various topics – very helpful. Oh yeah, I got a biochem book (I have never taken biochem) and just read the chapters and did questions in the back - this was big and I think test-prep companies need to focus more on biochem.

People debate Kaplan on this site. It is expensive and people have mixed results. I have a few buddies who only used Kaplan and were averaging 30+ on practice tests and did poorly on the actual MCAT. I kept this (admittedly small sample size) in the back of my mind throughout my preparation – I didn't want to be surprised on test day. My criticism of Kaplan is that their review books are full of formulae and example problems that do not relate to actual MCAT problems. Their verbal is, without a doubt, weak. You cannot prepare for MCAT verbal with Kaplan. I found their biology and ochem practice to be excellent, however. Their notecards are awesome – I used these extensively to practice the little facts that always trip you up.

Kaplan online provided an outstanding schedule that I supplanted with my own materials and EK. Is a good schedule worth the money? Probably not if you are organized, but don't lie to yourself here – many of us need structure to succeed.

I cannot say enough good things about EK. I used their Physics and Gen Chem review books and re-taught myself these subjects, their Verbal 101 book is perfect – but you have to do every test to get the full range. I didn't bother with Bio or Ochem because I thought my level of knowledge and the Kaplan materials were sufficient. EK is good because they teach you to REASON through things, instead of just relying on your depth of knowledge and petty memorization. For the MCAT you must apply knowledge to things you might not have seen before. The MCAT trips people up because they are used to just regurgitating facts or problems for tests in school and doing well – this is a bad habit.

I started with the Kaplan tests. Their PS and BS sections are tough and I believe they prepare you well. When I took my first AAMC test I was surprised how easy those sections seemed in comparison. In April (2 months to test) I started taking one AAMC test a week, on Saturday mornings to prepare myself for waking up early. DO THIS. Take your practice tests when you will take your actual MCAT. Do not take long breaks or do one section at a time. I did not do the writing portion.

The most important thing when taking these tests is to spend time reviewing. I would get a legal pad and go through the test, question by question, and write down why I got questions right or wrong. I found out early that I had the tendency to go back and change correct answers – I eliminated this habit through practice. I found out that I was getting questions wrong in BS because I was getting confused in experimental passages – I started diagramming experiments and eliminated the weakness. I taught myself to do all math in scientific notation (huge for calculations).

If you aren't taking practice tests you might as well not prepare for the MCAT at all. Your content review has to be in relation to solving MCAT passages. You could know every piddily fact about biology in the world, but if you don't know how to apply that knowledge you will not do well. At the same time, you can't take 3 practice tests and say you have a 32 AAMC average – you should do most or all of them – they truly are the best predictor of your score.

BS Economics (Game Theory field of study), minor Engineering.

REASONING. You must know how to reason, (if this is true, then… kind of framework) I don't believe in diagramming each passage in the Kaplan method. This might work for some people but unless you master the method, it will take too much time. Read the passage, read the question, think, draw, whatever, then answer the question. I did a lot of drawing. If you aren't sure, mark it, work on the rest of the questions in the stem and then go back. I don't think it is worthwhile to wait and review marked questions (unless discretes) at the end because you forget the passage information.

READING. Read read read! This has been said over and over again, actively read the NY Times, New Yorker, Atlantic Monthly, Harpers (this is the best IMO) about stuff that you wouldn't normally be interested in. It will help your verbal and your writing immensely and also with your PS and BS passages. You need to work on your useful memory – do you remember what the author was saying the page before and how it relates to what you are reading now?

TIME. Everything you do should be under time constraints. I did every EK verbal timed, I never took a test that wasn't timed, and with one exception (my dog started puking) I didn't stop a practice test. You have to know (especially in verbal) where you stand in relation to time. 8 min a passage max in verbal, 10 min max in PS and BS with time for discretes.

LAB. I honestly think that the application of science in the lab is a key to this test. You are going to see at least one or two general chem lab type problems in PS and four or five lab type orgo and bio problems in BS. Remember that synthesis experiment and the identification experiment everyone does in Ochem – key to the MCAT. Things like this came up over and over again on practice tests and I could usually relate back to some experiment that I did - my school has a good lab program (6 hours per week with gucci equipment) so I think it really helped.

Started in February with Kaplan, maybe 2 nights a week. Ramped it up in April to 5 nights a week, practice test every week. I took the week before the MCAT off – studied and relaxed, took 2 practice tests.

Last edited:

PS: 14
VR: 12
WS: S
BS: 11
Composite: 37S

I took a 2-month Kaplan class (didn't have a TPR center in my town) and got most of my studying from that.

Physics: Memorized lots of formulas. I was also taking a physics course while preparing for the MCAT so applying my class homework into studying also helped out a lot.

Gen. chem: Didn't really study for it. I work as a chemistry tutor so I know the stuff like the back of my hand.

Biology: Aside from the material Kaplan provided, I did some additional reading on anatomy and physiology. In retrospect, I probably should've done that some more.

Organic: Lots and lots of IUPAC name and reaction synthesis memorizing. That's about all there is to it.

Verbal: The section I was the most worried about. Aside from the practice tests, I also took several Kaplan verbal section quizzes just to get a chance to see more types of passages. People often suggest reading more outside material to build up your reading skills but I didn't think this was very useful or realistic in helping you considering the short amount of time you have to prepare. Focus more on studying the question types than on reading the passage itself.

Writing: My biggest enemy was the time limit. For the last two weeks before my exam, I practiced by writing two essays every other day. I started out always running out of time but by the end, I managed to get to a point where I would have 5 minutes to spare for each essay. This was the section I studied the least for and even considered blowing off. I'm honestly surprised by how high of a score I got for my essays.

Flashcards, Kaplan books/online materials. I never opened a TPR or EK book so I can't provide an opinion on those.

AAMC Tests 3-10
Kaplan Tests 1-12

I got all of these for free after signing up for the Kaplan class.

Chemistry

I highly recommend taking a class of some sort, especially if you're someone who gets easily distracted like me. The class really helps you manage your time and forces you into studying. If money is a problem (my course cost almost $2000), ask your advisor if your school provides its own MCAT class. Those usually tend to be much cheaper.

The AAMC tests are definitely worth investing in. they are VERY smiliar in style to the real thing. My actual score was about 1 point higher than my AAMC average.

The Kaplan tests are useful for getting more testing style experience and seeing as many types of questions as possible but they do not accurately reflect the real MCAT as much. They are intentionally designed to be much harder (i.e., the PS sections have a TON of gratuituous calculations) and have very strange curves (I got Kaplan scores as high as 41 and as low as 27, sometimes within days of each other). I ended taking all of my Kaplan tests but, if you are short on time, I would say you should take the AAMC tests over these.

Also, if you are worried about the noise factor at your testing center, I recommend training yourself to drown out background noise by taking practice tests in public areas (such as a computer lab). Not sure how much this helped out since I had no problem with noise at my actual exam.

Total: 4 months (starting from late January)
Intensive: Spring Break + Last 3 weeks

33Q (PS: 13; VR: 9; BS: 11; WS: Q)

BS-Used TPR book mainly for this. A lot of stuff i knew from human physiology and Genetics. Didn't study for organic chemistry one bit. Knew it form class and tutoring.

PS- Didn't study for the Chem. portion that much at all. Really knew it solid from class and tutoring. Examkrackers for Physics saved me. Sucked at physics going in. Knew it very well by the end of reviewing.

VR-Didn't do much of anything for this section except take the practice tests and review what i did wrong. My advice might not be of great help because it is my lowest score at a 9. But what i did was really just read staright through the passage and then answered the questions right away. No writing on scrap paper or ordering passages on difficulity. It was most comfortable for me doing it this way (so i thought).

WS-Did not do One thing for this secion. Wrote two of the worst essays of my life. I am not complaining.

TPR for bio, Examkrackers for physics.

About 5 TPR tests. Averaged a 24 on them. THen about 5 AAMC tests wher i averaged a 28. Average isnt that good of an indicator because io took them as i kept reviewing so it was a steady increase upwards for each test.

Biology

Go in being confident and know you are going to do well. Oh and good luck sleeping the night before.

probably a 3-4 weeks of serious studying.

PS=10 VR=13 WS=M BS=14 Composite=37M

I took the Kaplan Class

VR: I made my own quizes in the kaplan quiz maker, so whenever I sat down at the computer I did 2 passages and questions. I also took a lot of full legnth section tests.

PS: Mainly Kaplan review material but some out of my physics book

BS: Kaplan note cards, did the assigned kaplan reading but I was already pretty solid on bio and ochem.

Kaplan and AAMC, Kaplan provided 10 tests of their own and then 10 additional AAMC tests. I started the AAMC tests about 3 weeks before my test and my scores dropped significantly and it scared the **** out of me. The Kaplan tests are harder but they are scored easier. I would have started the AAAMC tests earlier if possible.

Molecular biology, I think this preped me for everything but the physiology part of the BS section. I did take an H Phys class which helped.

Stay focued and take as many practice tests as possible I took around 10, and I felt as though I could have forced myself to take a few more before I became burnt out.

3 months (~14 weeks), averaging ~4 hrs/day.I really upped my study time

38Q
Verbal: 10
Physical: 13
Biological: 15

AAMC average: 31

I started looking at materials in mid January for the May 2nd exam. I studied a couple hours a day here and there, covering a little less than half of the science by the third week in May, when I ramped up to 4+ hours per day. I started AAMC Practice Tests around the same time, taking the 1st test the third week in May (#3) and continuing each week or two weeks until I took one 1 week before the exam and 5 days before the exam.

A critical piece of my studying for the sciences was keeping track of my progress. I made an excel spreadsheet that outlined how I did for each chapter (I used ExamKrackers for everything). I noted my score on the embedded questions in each chapter and the quiz at the end, as well as the date.

I also made a spreadsheet of the AAMC test results to help identify areas of weakness.

ExamKrackers for everything; primarily the topic books and not the 1001 questions, although I did use those here and there in weak areas for more practice. I tried to adhere to the verbal strategy, and averaged 11 on my AAMC practice tests. However, I only did 4 of the EK practice tests and not all 12 or 14....

All AAMCs but #6

Marine Biology

Setting a schedule is helpful, and tracking progress extremely helpful-it can motivate you when you realize how much you have left to do. I attribute my high science scores (relative to my practice) to the identification and practice of my weak areas-stay on top of that to make sure you know the science.

About 7 weeks of 6-8 hours per week, then 6 weeks of 4 hours per day, 6 days per week

Good Luck!

PS: 12
VR: 11
BS: 14
Composite: 37S

Kaplan Premier Program (book + CD)
Kaplan Advanced
AAMC Practice Tests (4 tests --> 3-10)

I used the Kaplan Premier Program 2009 book for all sections of the test. I particularly found the biology section very helpful, though it lacked a lot of genetics which showed up on the test.

Best advice in retrospect: focus more on PS calculations and study genetics

Kaplan diagnostic, AAMC 3-10

Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

Take the AAMC practice tests. My score was EXACTLY my AAMC average, though I thought the PS and VR sections would not turn out to be (but they did!).

Also, as I said before, focus on physics calculations and genetics. Make sure you know how to do scientific math quickly (i.e., scientific notation and dimensional analysis).

The test I took also seemed to have more o. chem than the practice tests, and this seems to be a growing trend from what I hear. So, know your o. chem!

6 weeks. . . the last three weeks I studied EVERY day, and the last week I did a practice test (AAMC) every other day broken up by review in between days.

Ok---I wanna say that when I first started this journey 6 weeks ago, I was completely ignorant. I have been introduced to a whole new culture.

I'm excited to post here.

Practice tests: Took 3 in total--AAMC 8, 9, 10

My scores were:

AAMC 8: 36
AAMC 10: 37
AAMC 9: 39

I may have switched those---I will not bother checking---but those were the scores

My actual MCAT:

PS: 14
BS: 12
VR: 12
WS: Q
Total: 38Q

I can't remember exactly, but I'm almost positive that I started studying on May 15th---My MCAT was on May 28th---and I got my scores yesterday

When I started studying, I knew nothing of the MCAT really---many of my family members are doctors and they told me that it was just a formality and that many of them just sort of took it---maybe studied a couple weeks, but that was it

But, I realize that my situation was somewhat unique

First, I had JUST finished my prereqs (finished second year) and my degree is a five year one---this is important in two ways

1- The material was still fresh in my mind (and the level of detail in my prereqs was magnitudes greater than the MCAT--so I knew most of everything still)

2- I had much less pressure---I will not apply for med school until summer 2011---I didn't feel like doing poorly was a big deal---initially---so i kept calm during my content review/practice testing

This was the major difference between me and the rest of SDNers--

What I used---

The FIRST thing I did was look for an outline of topics---THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT---IT CAN BE FOUND ON THE AAMC SITE---everyone knows this, but how many religiously followed it?

The second thing I did was figure out which physics book was the best---friend told me Nova, so I picked it up ( I wanted a lot of physics practice and my textbook was way too extensive)

I also got a set of EK books from some peeps and bought a couple books

I went through the outline and found the correlating material in the review books---It didn't take very long because I remembered alot---material was still fresh

I thought NOVA was INCREDIBLE and that EK was VERY GOOD (biology review was nice)

I also did something that MOST PEOPLE ADVISE AGAINST-----using textbooks

I supplemented a lot of chemistry and some bio/orgo material with textbooks---

I first learned the material from these books--the material would come back faster this way!

Also, the textbooks are much more detailed---so at the very least, I would understand the basics If I read through a topic---that's all you need anyway!

For verbal I actually got that EK 101 passages thing---went through a few of them---felt like I was not making any progress after I scored a string of 11's---knowing what to expect is important

Also, when I read, I tried to convince myself that I was a professor lecturing on the topic---I even moved my hands around like one---it helped---I know it sounds crazy---but you should try it

I honestly can't remember the exact schedule---but I think a little less than a week before the test I started to take the practice tests

I took one---and was pleasantly surprised 36

I reviewed stuff I was fuzzy on---and then I took a couple more

I then went and took the test---I was completely calm and confident---I didn't buy into the hyperbole---mostly from friends---I really wasn't familiar with SDN---I knew it existed, but that was about it

Anyways---people have accused me of lying about 12 days---in reality it was more like 700 days (PREREQS!)

Also, I didn't have as much pressure as everyone else because I still have a couple years until I apply

I just went in with the attitude that the test was no big deal and that extra confidence and less pressure was the difference between a 29 and a 38 ( I AM SURE OF THIS)

For any future MCAT takers---TAKE IT EARLIER and KEEP YOUR NOTES FROM PREREQS---this is invaluable

Retain that knowledge---YOU ARE GOING TO NEED IT SOONER THAN YOU THINK

Peace

Last edited:
Some of you are truly dedicated studiers. I barely squeezed in a brief, but comprehensive review before taking the test. I've always been told I'm a good writer, but apparently AAMC doesn't agree (or rather the time limit and an awkward prompt worked against me).

40N PS: 12 VR: 13 BS: 15

Reviewed all BS and PS related chapters in Kaplan. Used my undergraduate textbooks (Physics, PChem, Orgo, Biochem, etc) on areas where Kaplan coverage felt insufficient or I wanted more practice.

No VR/Writing Practice except for the AAMC #3 exam.

Kaplan's complete MCAT study book.

Only AAMC #3.

Cellular and Molecular Biology

If you're short on time, try taking a few preliminary verbal sections. Verbal is a difficult section to improve on, but if you're a gifted/avid reader, you may already be in good shape. Other than familiarizing myself with the format via practice exams, I did not study verbal. To me at least BS and PS reaped much greater benefits from a brief review.

I decided that taking a practice course wasn't worth the money for me, however I was doing full-time summer research while studying. Only strict scheduling (I.E.: You will review these chapters by today) kept me on track with studying.

About a month and a half prior to the exam for about 2-3 hours a night.

I agonized over whether to post my score - I don't want to come off as bragging, but I think people deserve to know that this is possible. I took the 5/28 test.

PS=15, VR=14, BS=15, WS=S
Composite 44S

I downloaded and skimmed the EK books, and borrowed old science textbooks to review concepts I wasn't good at.
I mainly studied PS because i've always hated physics and I had not taken gen chem since grade 11 (I took the MCAT after my 3rd year university). I bought some cheap notebooks and wrote down my own notes for major sections with emphasis on the important formulas and concepts I wasn't great with.
I procrastinated studing for the writing sample. I read a few sample essays and, three days before the MCAT, printed out a bunch of sample prompts and just went down the list making up an example and a counterexample for each. It's very helpful to familiarize yourself with a few 'multipurpose' examples beforehand that could be used for a variety of prompts. And, of course, you can make stuff up. As a Canadian writing the exam in the US, I threw in some current Canadian examples I wasn't so sure of on the assumption that any American scorer wouldn't have a clue whether I was telling the truth. :D Even if you're American, you can probably use this trick to mask fabricated stories.

EK and and old textbooks I had lying around or could borrow. Textbooks are MUCH better than wikipedia or even MCAT prep books for detailed explanations of topics. I found that EK just wasn't enough when I didn't understand something, especially in physics. The books I went to most were first-year physics and genchem textbooks from the 80s (i borrowed them from a family friend), and Vander's Physiology.
For practise, Kaplan tests and AAMCs.

in the order i took them: (PS/VR/BS)
Kaplan 6 13/12/13 38
Kaplan 7 12/12/12 36
Kaplan 5 12/11/11 34
AAMC 3 12/12/14 38
Kaplan 8 11/11/10 32
AAMC 5 13/12/14 39
AAMC 6 15/12/12 39
Kaplan 9 12/11/12 35
AAMC 7 15/13/12 40
Kaplan 4 13/13/12 38
AAMC 8 14/13/13 40
AAMC 9 14/11/14 39
Kaplan 3 14/11/13 38
AAMC 10 13/11/15 39

Major in Microbiology and Immunology
Minor in Pharmacology

Study SMART and efficiently. I know it sounds obvious, but devote more time to concepts you're not comfortable with because those are the ones that will pop up and haunt you during test day. PS started out as my worst fear. I studied it so hard that it became my best section. (And then I promptly forgot it all again after writing the test.)
Be thorough - I printed out the AAMC list of MCAT topics and went through each one, crossing it off once I was totally comfortable with it.
I also did a variation on the hat trick - I had all the EK sectional tests and torrented the Kaplan package of tests. I wrote all these down on tokens and stuck them in a box. (I called them my minitests. Like minigames! But a little less fun..) Whenever I got bored of studying I would pull out a token and do the test written on it. I ended up doing all of them. Keep meticulous records of your scores to track your progress and indicate what you need to work on. I used a spreadsheet from Vihsadas to track my FLs, and a variation on it to track my minitests. It makes entering your scores fun and colourful!

About two months before the test, I started reading and doing the questions for 1 or 2 EK chapters a day. (No notes, no rereading, just once through quickly since I was in school at the time. Time spent was about 15 minutes a day.) I did this for a month, until I had finished the whole set and summer break began. I then hard-core studied for 2 weeks, maybe 10 hours a day, focussing on the subjects I hated most and doing an FL every 2 or 3 days. The last two weeks I did an FL every 1-3 days and pretty much nothing else (I was going to study more.. but I was really sick of studying after 2 weeks so I got lazy and slept in instead.)
To everyone out there like me with a really short attention span - you don't need to devote 3 months of your life to conquer this exam. If you have a strong foundation, all you need to do is recognize your weaknesses and turn them into your strengths.

Best of luck to everyone still studying. Feel free to PM me, and I will do my best to help out.

I agonized over whether to post my score - I don't want to come off as bragging, but I think people deserve to know that this is possible. I took the 5/28 test.

Composite 44S

Psh, are you sure you didn't mean to post this in the "Should I retake?" thread? :p Congratulations on a truly unbelievable score!

Your individual scores and composite score
Composite 44S

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE GREAT SCORE!!! :thumbup:

I read in the MCAT Verbal Reasoning Mastery Book that some medical school consider an R,S, or T on the writing section as an additional point to your numerical score... if that is the case, you are at 45!!! WOW !!! Great Job!!!

i feel like puking from the lack of tbr testimonials

That's... extreme. There's a lack of TBR testimonials because they're a small company. However, I know of only one case where someone used TBR and it didn't turn out well (rocketbooster) and he was still a pretty big fan of TBR. I've never read a post where someone used TBR and claimed it didn't help/wasn't useful. Look up Malayna for one example of a TBR testimonial.

34 O (11 PS, 10 VR, 13 BS)

PS, BS: went through prep books (EK), took notes on everything I didn't know perfectly. Then studied off those and made a new note sheet of stuff off that sheet that I thought was really important but didn't know yet.
VR: practiced some. When I was practicing, it was my best section so I didn't worry as much as I should have.
WS: wrote one or two practice essays from AAMC prompts.

Went through EK first (I think my order was bio, Verbal/strategies, physics, gen chem, organic). Then read through TPR Cracking the MCAT CBT.
Writing, I used the Princeton Review method...may not have worked for me, or my writing just sucked...
I listened to some of the EK Audio Osmosis tracks, but often just tuned them out accidentally. Didn't work for me. I'd borrowed the CDs from a friend, so no loss to me.

The 30-minute ones at the end of the EK books, the short 10-12 question ones at the end of TPR chapters, and AAMC 3, 8, and 5 (don't ask why I picked those ones, I just did.). I did AAMC3 before finishing gen chem review and before starting organic review, but the other two were in the 2 weeks before my MCAT. Then I went through afterwards and read through all the ones I got wrong (and right, for that matter) and their explanations.

Chemistry!

Take the AAMC practice tests. I personally don't think you have to go crazy and take all of them, but I've always been pretty good at standardized tests and didn't feel like shelling out $$ for all of them. These tests were the reason I didn't freak out at the testing center during the actual one.

I also recommend really thinking through whether or not you want to take a review course. I think if you got a good background on the subjects from your classes AND you can push yourself to do it alone, you probably don't need one. I know I'd have just been bored in one, because that's not how I study best. You don't have to do one, you can still do well.

& Take an easy courseload the semester of your MCAT, if you can. I took 15 credits but they were all pretty easy. In theory I was going to study way more than I did, but I definitely did study more than if I'd taken it while taking microbio and physiology and physical chemistry, for example.

If you need motivation, get on one of those websites that counts down the number of days til the event you put in, and then drag it to your hotbar. Or make it your homepage. Definitely kicked my butt into high gear.

Signed up for a late-May test. I opened my books for the first time in January, then kinda left them alone until March. Then I probably did 8 hrs/week until May 10th. Once school let out, it was 8 am-10 pm for about 2 weeks (minus a small amount of playtime and time for meals).

Good luck kiddos. Keep your nerves under control, study smart, and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
That's... extreme. There's a lack of TBR testimonials because they're a small company. However, I know of only one case where someone used TBR and it didn't turn out well (rocketbooster) and he was still a pretty big fan of TBR. I've never read a post where someone used TBR and claimed it didn't help/wasn't useful. Look up Malayna for one example of a TBR testimonial.
haha sorry. yea i was being dramatic but it's so odd that there arent more tbr testimonials when sdn seems like it is mostly california premeds and so many people on this forum love the prep.

Just wondering, has anyone use Schaum's outlines to study for the MCAT at all? I'm not taking it until next april/may and I'm going to take a EK review course through my school from october to april, but was wondering if these might be a good suplement for sections I'm not solid on. If not, what suggestions would those who've used EK have as a suplement? I haven't kept any of my txt books. Thanks for any replys.

Composite 44S

I downloaded and skimmed the EK books, and borrowed old science textbooks to review concepts I wasn't good at.
I mainly studied PS because i've always hated physics and I had not taken gen chem since grade 11 (I took the MCAT after my 3rd year university). I bought some cheap notebooks and wrote down my own notes for major sections with emphasis on the important formulas and concepts I wasn't great with.
I procrastinated studing for the writing sample. I read a few sample essays and, three days before the MCAT, printed out a bunch of sample prompts and just went down the list making up an example and a counterexample for each. It's very helpful to familiarize yourself with a few 'multipurpose' examples beforehand that could be used for a variety of prompts. And, of course, you can make stuff up. As a Canadian writing the exam in the US, I threw in some current Canadian examples I wasn't so sure of on the assumption that any American scorer wouldn't have a clue whether I was telling the truth. :D Even if you're American, you can probably use this trick to mask fabricated stories.

EK and and old textbooks I had lying around or could borrow. Textbooks are MUCH better than wikipedia or even MCAT prep books for detailed explanations of topics. I found that EK just wasn't enough when I didn't understand something, especially in physics. The books I went to most were first-year physics and genchem textbooks from the 80s (i borrowed them from a family friend), and Vander's Physiology.
For practise, Kaplan tests and AAMCs.

in the order i took them: (PS/VR/BS)
Kaplan 6 13/12/13 38
Kaplan 7 12/12/12 36
Kaplan 5 12/11/11 34
AAMC 3 12/12/14 38
Kaplan 8 11/11/10 32
AAMC 5 13/12/14 39
AAMC 6 15/12/12 39
Kaplan 9 12/11/12 35
AAMC 7 15/13/12 40
Kaplan 4 13/13/12 38
AAMC 8 14/13/13 40
AAMC 9 14/11/14 39
Kaplan 3 14/11/13 38
AAMC 10 13/11/15 39

Major in Microbiology and Immunology
Minor in Pharmacology

Study SMART and efficiently. I know it sounds obvious, but devote more time to concepts you're not comfortable with because those are the ones that will pop up and haunt you during test day. PS started out as my worst fear. I studied it so hard that it became my best section. (And then I promptly forgot it all again after writing the test.)
Be thorough - I printed out the AAMC list of MCAT topics and went through each one, crossing it off once I was totally comfortable with it.
I also did a variation on the hat trick - I had all the EK sectional tests and torrented the Kaplan package of tests. I wrote all these down on tokens and stuck them in a box. (I called them my minitests. Like minigames! But a little less fun..) Whenever I got bored of studying I would pull out a token and do the test written on it. I ended up doing all of them. Keep meticulous records of your scores to track your progress and indicate what you need to work on. I used a spreadsheet from Vihsadas to track my FLs, and a variation on it to track my minitests. It makes entering your scores fun and colourful!

About two months before the test, I started reading and doing the questions for 1 or 2 EK chapters a day. (No notes, no rereading, just once through quickly since I was in school at the time. Time spent was about 15 minutes a day.) I did this for a month, until I had finished the whole set and summer break began. I then hard-core studied for 2 weeks, maybe 10 hours a day, focussing on the subjects I hated most and doing an FL every 2 or 3 days. The last two weeks I did an FL every 1-3 days and pretty much nothing else (I was going to study more.. but I was really sick of studying after 2 weeks so I got lazy and slept in instead.)
To everyone out there like me with a really short attention span - you don't need to devote 3 months of your life to conquer this exam. If you have a strong foundation, all you need to do is recognize your weaknesses and turn them into your strengths.

Best of luck to everyone still studying. Feel free to PM me, and I will do my best to help out.

HOLY **** you've got to be kidding me. like omg holy ****. like wow.

It's all mental. I plateaued at 12s for my sciences even though I knew all the material covered. I just told myself that I will not get any Q wrong, taking an extra 2 seconds per question to just to a mental re-check, and from then on they were consistently 14-15. I know I'm coming off as a bit flippant, but really the MCAT is HEAVILY dependent on your own state of mind. Keep it positive.

3 months as a full time job. No hanging with friends. No nothing. But as a general tip, do try to take a break day once a week.

Last edited:
34 Q (11 PS, 11 VR, 12 BS)

PS, BS and VR: Kaplan Course material + Audio Osmosis. No other outside materials were utilized.

I found audio osmosis to be of great help. Certainly it lacks in its ability to prep a test taker for VR, but the silly mnemonics for BS and PS helped me immensely on test day. There were at least 6-8 questions where I heard Jordan and John's voice in my head.

The kaplan material was sufficient, the course seemed like a good use of my time. My VR was really lacking in my first few practice tests, however, extensive practice through Kaplan's online resources really helped raise my score (8 ish -> 11)

AAMC official tests 3-10
Kaplan Tests

Biotechnology: Food science / chemistry minors

Take the AAMC practice tests. For the love of god, take as many practice tests as possible. I sincerely think I would have scored higher if I had spent more time on practicing the test, and less time on the material.

The MCAT is a basic science test. Aside from your undergraduate education, you really need to know HOW to take the test. Don't be fooled into thinking the test is all about what you know. It isn't. The test is about using what you know and what they give you. Being able to read and understand the passage will get you really far.

I signed up for May 22nd. I began listening to audio osmosis sometime in October (for fun!) but didn't study at all until mid February. I spent about 2 hours a day studying in February and March, and 4 hours a day in April and May. I always had my flash cards with me at school and work. And to those of you that think you need to take a quarter/semester off school and work just to study, don't be silly. If a meat head butcher with a full load of classes and work can score decently on his MCAT, I'm positive any one of you could do better.

The MCAT experience is such a mind game. I studied so hard and put so much material into my head, only to realize that most of the material counted for crap on test day. Feel comfortable with the material, get the big picture, and feel good about taking the test. If you can do that, I guarantee you'll score favorably. Be confident, you can rock it!

34 O (12 PS, 11 VR, 11 BS)

Used my brothers kaplan book from 3 years ago to study all the sections.

AAMC official tests (not all but most of them)

biology

Take the practice exams and go over all the mistakes. Practice exams are by far the best way to prepare for this exam. Also, don't panic on the exam day. I suggest taking the afternoon exam, i myself had a horrible time falling asleep that night but thankfully had the afternoon exam.

about a month, started studying around May 20th, took exam on June 18th

Status
Not open for further replies.