Oregon State 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnyeyedme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Who all is applying to Oregon State school of Pharmacy?? I'm from California so I don't know very much about the school/area. From what I've read and heard so far it seems like a great school. What do you guys think of the school? I submitted my supplemental about a month ago but I still haven't heard back.. Has anyone heard back about interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope not yet. I guess my gpa sucks, so that's why nothing is heard yet.

Hey everyone! Who all is applying to Oregon State school of Pharmacy?? I'm from California so I don't know very much about the school/area. From what I've read and heard so far it seems like a great school. What do you guys think of the school? I submitted my supplemental about a month ago but I still haven't heard back.. Has anyone heard back about interviews?

I am from CA too and was accepted to OSU for class of 2013, but gave up my spot in favor of the other school.

OSU is an amazing school, I fell in love with it completely when visited.
The school is great, campus is amazing ( the library and sports complex blew my mind away), and people seem to be very kind and friendly.

If you are from the big city, it may be slightly challenging to adapt as this is definitely a college town with a cozy little community feel. Not that it's a bad thing - just somewhat different. If you are outdorsy too, this is a place to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to UC Santa Cruz which is outdoorsy and has a small town/college town feel. I loved it there. I love Oregon in general so I think I would like the school. Hope I get an interview so I can check it out myself. :D Do you remember how soon you heard back from OSU?

I went to UC Santa Cruz which is outdoorsy and has a small town/college town feel. I loved it there. I love Oregon in general so I think I would like the school. Hope I get an interview so I can check it out myself. :D Do you remember how soon you heard back from OSU?

After I turned in the apps, I don't remember how fast I heard till the interview ~ a month or so.

After I had an interview, I was accepted the next day, letter arived by express mail.

When I was interviewing out of 12 people, 1 was from Oregon, 1 from some other state and 10 were from California, so they love us, californians, there. People are really really kind too, I went for three days to explore the town and determine if I wanted to live there and I was astounded by how friendly every was.

Has anyone heard from Oregon State?

Did you guys all took pcat? I wanted to apply to Oregon state but was too lazy to take the pcat just for one single school

Did you guys all took pcat? I wanted to apply to Oregon state but was too lazy to take the pcat just for one single school

I did take Pcat because I wanted to apply to schools out of state that were tailored to my professional interest in research, but Oregon State does not require PCAT. :) And their supplemental application is nice and short. :love: Plus the admissions stuff is awesome.

Thanks for the reply Cheb. :)Now I remember why I didn't apply to Oregon State, I think they require A&P to be taken out of 4-year college only. My school doesn't offer Anatomy, so I had to take it at a community college.

Nope. ... :lame:

I would not despair. You will most likely start hearing from Oregon State around mid/late-December for January interviews. Some students do not hear anything until January/February.

I am a a 3rd year pharmacy student from Oregon State/OHSU, if you have any questions about the program let me know.

I wish I knew about this website when I was applying to pharm schools!

I need to send my AP scores, but I'm not sure which college code to use. If anyone has sent them already, would you mind letting me know which code you used (and if you had any specific reason to use that one)? On the collegeboard website it has 4900 for Oregon Health and Science University and 4586 for Oregon State University. If it is one of these, which one? And if it's completely separate (like UCSF has one for their pharmacy school), does anyone what it is? Thanks!

Hi BMadjuster, how do you like OSU? It the program very research focused? hopefully not...how are the schedule like, and do you like the curriculum they offer? thank you!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi BMadjuster, how do you like OSU? It the program very research focused? hopefully not...how are the schedule like, and do you like the curriculum they offer? thank you!!! :)

The program is not research focused but several professors have very interesting projects going on in their labs, so the opportunity is there for those who want it.

The curriculum is pretty standard: therapeutics, med chem, kinetics, management, drug lit, pharmacy practice, pharmacy law, pharmacoeconomics and so on. They are starting to offer more electives now though in the 1st and 2nd years, I am not sure what all they have to offer but there is a good variety.

The schedule works out well for most students, they do their best to make your classes back to back or in close proximity so students can come to campus, attend class and then go study/work/whatever they need to do. Personally I think the faculty are great, they work with the students and want to see you succeed. There are a few profs that are not everyone's cup of tea but you will find that at any university.

Overall I have enjoyed my time at OSU and would recommend it to friends pursuing pharmacy. Some students find the split campus to be a negative but personally I like it.

If you have any other questions feel free to message me or post in the thread.

I need to send my AP scores, but I'm not sure which college code to use. If anyone has sent them already, would you mind letting me know which code you used (and if you had any specific reason to use that one)? On the collegeboard website it has 4900 for Oregon Health and Science University and 4586 for Oregon State University. If it is one of these, which one? And if it's completely separate (like UCSF has one for their pharmacy school), does anyone what it is? Thanks!

I can't tell if you're a high school student or an undergrad, but if you're a HS student applying to the EAP program, definitely send them to OSU, and if not, I'm guessing your AP credits are on your transcript already, so probably no need to send them to OSU, but I'd double check with an advisor (at OSU COP, not OHSU). You don't deal with OHSU at all until around the end of your P2 year, and when we're at OSU, we usually say we're from OSU College of Pharmacy. You don't get your OHSU ID, email, and whatnot until your P3 year, so until then, you're not really a OHSU student.

I can't tell if you're a high school student or an undergrad, but if you're a HS student applying to the EAP program, definitely send them to OSU, and if not, I'm guessing your AP credits are on your transcript already, so probably no need to send them to OSU, but I'd double check with an advisor (at OSU COP, not OHSU). You don't deal with OHSU at all until around the end of your P2 year, and when we're at OSU, we usually say we're from OSU College of Pharmacy. You don't get your OHSU ID, email, and whatnot until your P3 year, so until then, you're not really a OHSU student.

Thanks so much for the advice. Also, your explanation about OHSU is really helpful.
I'm an undergrad, and the AP credits are on my unofficial transcript, but not my official one..[strange, right?] I guess I'll send the AP scores in then :) Thanks again!

Hey, this is my first time posting but I have been browsing this site for a few months now. I actually just heard back from OSU today about an interview on Dec 4th! I submitted my application on Sept 2nd and it took about two months to hear back. I hope that you guys have the same luck!

I'm sure there are other threads on this that I haven't seen yet but thought I would reply for current updates. Good luck everyone!

Is it strictly enforced by OSU that we have to take Anatomy, Physiology, and microbiology at a 4-year university? I applied without looking at this requirement, and now I'm not sure if I should send in my supplemental application. I don't want to waste another $50 if they're going to reject my application.

Is it strictly enforced by OSU that we have to take Anatomy, Physiology, and microbiology at a 4-year university? I applied without looking at this requirement, and now I'm not sure if I should send in my supplemental application. I don't want to waste another $50 if they're going to reject my application.

I've heard that they're pretty adamant about it. Those prereqs are upper division classes at OSU, so if you took them at a community college, it's just not the same.

I had the same problem, e-mailed and called them. Filed a petition and they accepted it.

My school doesn't even offer those classes (anatomy, speech..), the only option i got is to take them from community college

If you are unsure about this you can contact Nicole Kent in the admissions office. It may say that you need to have all the pre-reqs done before the end of your spring term before matriculation but there was someone in my class that did take Anatomy over the summer. If they like you as a candidate they may be willing to work something out. Nicole is very friendly and welcoming, so don't hesitate to call and ask questions (not to mention she then knows who you are when she sees your application).

I got an invitation for an interview today. I am really excited by the offer, but I'm not sure if I want to spend the money to travel there and stay in a hotel and everything. I am from California and have already been accepted to two schools here. I want to give the school a chance but I'm really not sure if it is worth it.

Anyone one else get their invites today? Anyone in a similar situation?

I got an invitation for an interview today. I am really excited by the offer, but I'm not sure if I want to spend the money to travel there and stay in a hotel and everything. I am from California and have already been accepted to two schools here. I want to give the school a chance but I'm really not sure if it is worth it.

Anyone one else get their invites today? Anyone in a similar situation?

Yep, I'm in the same situation. I'm already accepted to a program. Also, due to scheduling conflicts, I couldn't fulfill the microbiology requirement of 5 units. I was forced to take the 4 unit micro course. So I don't even know if I am still eligible to go through this process.

I'm honored that OSU gave me an interview invitation and it saddens me that I have to decline it.

I've got nothing but positive things to say about the OSU program. Pacific and OSU students run into each other quite a bit - especially at conferences and large hospitals (such as OHSU, Providence, Legacy, Kaiser, etc.).

Going with OSU would certainly be a good choice.. :thumbup:

Good luck :luck:

thanks so much for posting the pics! Honestly, I am blown away by the school, it looks so pretty. I am very conflicted right now. I got accepted to Western U which is close to my family and friends, it is a smaller school but has a great rep. Its small and doesn't have the facilities of Oregon State. There is certainly no comparison as far as the beauty of the campus. Oregon wins hands down.

I am also recently engaged (as of Christmas) and I know he would support me if I decided to move us to Oregon but I don't know if could do that. I also have some extended family in portland but I think i have to consider my fiance first.

I would be happy at both schools, but I think I have to think of the happiness of my family and fiance first and chose to stay close to home.

Good luck to everyone!

my interview is on Friday! Anyone else get invited to this interview?!?!

Really wish I met the deadline to apply there! School looks amazing!

Stupid waiting for LORs! Didn't even realize I could submit without them!

OSU not only require you to take physiology and anatomy and microbiology at a 4 yrs state/university but it also has to be an UPPER DIVISION level, 300+ level courses. I wanted to clarify that to everyone whose applying to OSU. It's a very good school. They didn't accept my 200+ level phys and anatomy like most of the other schools. I don't have time to finish those two courses in time. I withdrawn my application plus lost $50. :eek: that can buy me some big red lobsters.

anyone else have an interview this friday afternoon??!

anyone else have an interview this friday afternoon??!

I had mine two months ago, but wanted to respond to wish you luck. OSU is a great school. And don't worry--everyone's really very nice and easygoing.

I had mine two months ago, but wanted to respond to wish you luck. OSU is a great school. And don't worry--everyone's really very nice and easygoing.

I had mine two weeks ago.. and was wondering if everyone hears back in April? or soon after the interview?

I had mine two weeks ago.. and was wondering if everyone hears back in April? or soon after the interview?

No idea. I heard back on Jan. 14 (about a month after my interview), but I think it just depends on when the AdCom meets. Did they give you any idea during your interview session? They told us it'd be the end of Jan., and they were pretty accurate.

No idea. I heard back on Jan. 14 (about a month after my interview), but I think it just depends on when the AdCom meets. Did they give you any idea during your interview session? They told us it'd be the end of Jan., and they were pretty accurate.

I see. I don't remember if they gave us a time frame during my interview session. I'll assume that we hear back around March-April. Did you find out through snail mail or e-mail? Sorry for asking so many questions.. I just want to have an idea.. OSU is a great school.. I'd love to go there. However, they heavily favor in-state applicants so that's a bummer for me.

I see. I don't remember if they gave us a time frame during my interview session. I'll assume that we hear back around March-April. Did you find out through snail mail or e-mail? Sorry for asking so many questions.. I just want to have an idea.. OSU is a great school.. I'd love to go there. However, they heavily favor in-state applicants so that's a bummer for me.

I honestly hadn't heard they favor in-staters, or at least not heavily. If you're accepted, you'll hear first via e-mail, then you'll receive a letter; rejections are sent via snail mail only.

Good luck!

I honestly hadn't heard they favor in-staters, or at least not heavily. If you're accepted, you'll hear first via e-mail, then you'll receive a letter; rejections are sent via snail mail only.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info!

I interview on February 26th! Can anyone elaborate on their interview experience? Are the interviewers friendly? Are the questions asked the typical ones that you would expect? How soon are decisions made if you were accepted/rejected?

I'd appreciate it.

yes, you need to take all the science courses at 4-year university. If you didn't, you would have to retake the course at 4-year university.

I interview on February 26th! Can anyone elaborate on their interview experience? Are the interviewers friendly? Are the questions asked the typical ones that you would expect? How soon are decisions made if you were accepted/rejected?

I'd appreciate it.

The interview day was nice and short. First, you will be welcomed by the dean. Then, they will go over the program. Afterwords, you will get to sit with a current pharm. D student and ask him/her questions you may have. The last two things in the interview day are the interview and the writing sample. Half of the group will interview first and do the writing sample at the end of the day and the other half will do these two things in the opposite order. At the end of the day, they do an optional tour of the building and campus. I loved OSU. Good luck with your interview!

Thanks for the help! The interview went pretty well. The entire process for me (skipping the tour) only took about 2 and a half hours. Way shorter day than Pacific's process. The dean wasn't able to speak. He was on a plane to Hawaii, haha. I found it weird that the writing portion came after the interview (at least in my case), and nothing could be asked about how you handled the given situation. I wonder how this is factored into their decision-making process...

The interview day was nice and short. First, you will be welcomed by the dean. Then, they will go over the program. Afterwords, you will get to sit with a current pharm. D student and ask him/her questions you may have. The last two things in the interview day are the interview and the writing sample. Half of the group will interview first and do the writing sample at the end of the day and the other half will do these two things in the opposite order. At the end of the day, they do an optional tour of the building and campus. I loved OSU. Good luck with your interview!

Has anyone interviewing on 2/5 heard back from the school?

My interview was February 26th. I heard we should know by spring break (March 26-ish). How was your interview? Did you apply to Pacific as well?

My interview went well,it was very conversational. No, I didn't apply to Pacific. I guess we have to wait to hear back soon.

My interview was February 26th. I heard we should know by spring break (March 26-ish). How was your interview? Did you apply to Pacific as well?

I interviewed with you I think. Were you in the 8am group? Did you apply/interview at any other schools? IF so, how would you compare them to OSU? I will be interviewing at one other school (march 26th) and don't really have a way to compare OSU to others, even though I think pretty highly of them.

Thanks

I interviewed with you I think. Were you in the 8am group? Did you apply/interview at any other schools? IF so, how would you compare them to OSU? I will be interviewing at one other school (march 26th) and don't really have a way to compare OSU to others, even though I think pretty highly of them.

Thanks

Yeah, I was in the 8 am group! That's funny. I only interviewed with one other school, and that was the other Oregon one, Pacific. I'm doing undergrad classes at OSU, so I can speak for that. It's great in that there are a ton of resources available to students, like extra help with classes, workout facility, and extracurricular activities (like the sporting events). I have 2 cousins who completed pharmacy school hear, and from what they said it sounds like many professors are just there for a paycheck. They also say it was pretty tough in that you may have multiple exams from many classes in the same week and other professors don't care.

Pacific on the other hand is not trying to weed anybody out. It seems they really want you to succeed. And all the staff have a great attitude. The program is newer, but it seems more like my learning style. With the modified block system, you take an exam over few subjects every other friday. You always know when your exams are. But it is accelerated, and it will be nice getting done in 3 years instead of 4.

OSU seems great. It is definitely a solid program. Although I just got my letter of denial yesterday. I guess I'll be moving this summer to attend Pacific, where I was accepted. At least I get to stay in Oregon :rolleyes:

What's your status with OSU? Did you get an e-mail too?

I have 2 cousins who completed pharmacy school hear, and from what they said it sounds like many professors are just there for a paycheck. They also say it was pretty tough in that you may have multiple exams from many classes in the same week and other professors don't care.

I'm not sure when they graduated, but I have to say that this isn't the case anymore. They now coordinate exam times as best as they can so that you don't get multiple midterms in one week, although sometimes there will be assignments for one class due the same day as an exam for another class. Also, they will contact those who fail an exam for a one-on-one meeting with the course coordinator and/or an advisor.

I'm sorry you didn't make it into OSU, but congrats on being the newest Pacific student!

Yeah, they did graduate at least a decade or so ago. So I can imagine it is quite different. And thanks! It's unfortunate I didn't get into OSU, since I am already here. I like the school and have already adjusted to everything. I would definitely apply again next year had I not got into another program. Though given the competitiveness, I figure I better take my shot at Pacific. I'm gonna miss this school :( And the football games.

I interviewed 1/22 and still haven't heard from OSU. Is anyone else in the same situation?