Please help me make an important decision!

Started by Monette
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry I missed your post earlier.

Orthodoc40 said:
Some of it comes with age. A lot of it comes from relentlessly beating myself up about stuff so many times, not letting things go so many times, having friends try to get me to let things go & move on so many times...that it's almost like life or death to figure out how to just STOP!! Ha ha.. umm.

Wow, you've essentially outlined my tendency for perpetual dwelling, a tendency which continues to haunt me (as evidenced by this thread) despite some sincere efforts to overcome it and/or minimize its effects. It really feels like death to just stop. Absolute torture of the most acute kind imaginable. Totally hear you on that one. 🙁

Orthodoc40 said:
So - be firm, draw the line with yourself - know your reasons. Be clear about what your reasons are for doing it - write those down too - if you forget them, it's easy to lose sanity! Please let us know what you decide & how it goes!! Good luck, either way! You'll clearly succeed, whatever path you take. :luck:

You know, I should really make a donation to SDN. It would no longer qualify as a donation per se – it would be more as the price for what has turned into a rather lengthy therapy session. And a darn good one at that. And yes, I will most certainly let you guys know what I decide (when that is remains to be determined) – it’s the least I could do after making you guys endure reading through my mumbo jumbo (which has been erroneously perceived as hifalutin mumbo jumbo).

And again, thanks for the vote of confidence, the well wishes and the advice. 🙂
 
the brown note said:
I think that was her second application cycle--I guess she hasn't updated it since January 2006. As far as I can tell, here's her first cycle (2005): http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=3359

Thanks for the links - awfully strange that she only decided to apply to a single school after deferring. But many would argue that what I'm contemplating isn't only awfully strange, but bordering on hallucination and insanity. 🙄
 
Law2Doc said:
We're cool; I just think you've got a warped and misguided take on things. 🙂

Awesome - that we're still cool that is. And a part of me feels that this is a tad silly, hence my starting this thread. I just don't think I'm *as* misguided as you perceive me to be. But apparently, all the Canadians agree with you. Most fervently: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=295689

Monette
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accept the offer.

I guess it's too much to ask where you got accepted?

I'm taking account that you're Canadian and would like to do your residency in canada.

Here's the deal: The canadian med school that you will attend will NOT stop you from getting a great residency spot, great research opportunity and become a great doctor.

What will stop you from doing all that, is yourself and yourself only.

Okay, some schools are more 'laid back' and others are filled with nervous freaks, but in the end it's all the same. I went to a 'laid back' med school and loved it. Even if my med school has a strong focus in family medicine, I got my first choice in a residency program that rarely takes someone outside of their med school. How? Well I worked my ass off, as an individual. So did many of my friends that got a residency spot in ENT, radiology, ophtalmo, neuropediatrics (2 spots in canada, i believe). And my med school is laid back, focused on family medicine, party animals, whatever....

You will soon learn that it's not all about a school's reputation, but about how you, as an individual, can accomplish what you want.

I'm very happy I got accepted to my med school....it wasn't my first choice 4 years ago, but they accepted me and I went. Looking back, it was a great ride to be able to learn in an environment where fellow students are helpful (i.e. Non-competitive), don't think they're God and just plain fun.

Accept your offer, start a new life, and have some fun while you can.
 
Monette said:
You know I've heard this mentioned before on these boards and it usually turns hostile when the Harvard-teers jump in with defensive rebuttals. Do you think it holds true for all the top schools? And why do people continue to attend said schools if they aren't representative of the excellence that students generally pursue them for in the first place?

Mostly because students don't know any better. Harvard tops rankings such as the US News and World Reports ranking so students think that it must be good. However those rankings are based heavily on research funding (not even really the quality of the research—just the funding) and on the GPA of entering students (a self-fulfilling prophecy—the best students go to Harvard so it tops the rankings, so the best students go there!).

I don't think Harvard is a bad school; I'm sure its quite good. But there are many equally good schools that don't have the reputation it does. And there may be some schools better than it that don't get ther reputation they deserver.

Simply, people go to Harvard because of the reputation. However, the reputation isn't based on any hard evidence. It's mostly "common knowledge" that's stuck for various reasons.
 
Monette said:
SO... Kids, learn from me! Make sure you apply once and only once. Apply when you feel your app is as good as you want it to be. And only apply somewhere you are 1000% you'd be abso-flippin-lutely dancing-on-every-surface-in-your-place-happy to go there.

Monette

Are you serious? This is the worst advice I've ever seen. You want to be a doctor or you want to be accepted at a specific school? From what I gather the later option is what you're looking for. I personally want to be a doctor and I would go to any of the three french schools here (Montreal, Laval or Sherbrooke), even if that means going to my second or third choice (but they're all great imo).
 
Surgeon24 said:
Accept the offer.

I guess it's too much to ask where you got accepted?

At this point, I'm afraid so. I've already revealed more than I would have liked.

Surgeon24 said:
I'm taking account that you're Canadian and would like to do your residency in canada.

Actually, I'm not 100% sure I want to practice in Canada. I'm currently leaning towards moving south but I don't really know.

Surgeon24 said:
Here's the deal: The canadian med school that you will attend will NOT stop you from getting a great residency spot, great research opportunity and become a great doctor.

What will stop you from doing all that, is yourself and yourself only.

Okay, some schools are more 'laid back' and others are filled with nervous freaks, but in the end it's all the same. I went to a 'laid back' med school and loved it. Even if my med school has a strong focus in family medicine, I got my first choice in a residency program that rarely takes someone outside of their med school. How? Well I worked my ass off, as an individual. So did many of my friends that got a residency spot in ENT, radiology, ophtalmo, neuropediatrics (2 spots in canada, i believe). And my med school is laid back, focused on family medicine, party animals, whatever....

You will soon learn that it's not all about a school's reputation, but about how you, as an individual, can accomplish what you want.

I'm very happy I got accepted to my med school....it wasn't my first choice 4 years ago, but they accepted me and I went. Looking back, it was a great ride to be able to learn in an environment where fellow students are helpful (i.e. Non-competitive), don't think they're God and just plain fun.

Accept your offer, start a new life, and have some fun while you can.

Thanks for the advice and I agree with the fact that you do chart your own course - I just feel that being happy at a school will put you in a better mind frame and will better enable you to achieve your best. Just one question: you said it wasn't your top choice, but did you feel like it wasn't a good fit for you on interview day? I think those are two separate issues. Thanks again for your input 🙂

Monette
 
Who M.D. said:
Mostly because students don't know any better. Harvard tops rankings such as the US News and World Reports ranking so students think that it must be good. However those rankings are based heavily on research funding (not even really the quality of the research—just the funding) and on the GPA of entering students (a self-fulfilling prophecy—the best students go to Harvard so it tops the rankings, so the best students go there!).

I don't think Harvard is a bad school; I'm sure its quite good. But there are many equally good schools that don't have the reputation it does. And there may be some schools better than it that don't get ther reputation they deserver.

Absolutely. I just want to point out that I used Harvard as an example because it is so commonly and widely associated with excellence. By no means did I imply that it is the *only* excellent school or that it is *more* excellent than all other schools. If I were to reapply, Harvard would not be the only school I apply to.

Who M.D. said:
Simply, people go to Harvard because of the reputation. However, the reputation isn't based on any hard evidence. It's mostly "common knowledge" that's stuck for various reasons.

Fair enough. But the reputation that Harvard and other top schools enjoy seems to help their students secure the most competitive residency matches. Seriously, Harvard and other top schools have sweet match lists. And maybe it is because the top students go there. But I think the reputation must help out, even if just by a little. It can't hurt, now can it?

Monette
 
boulux said:
Are you serious? This is the worst advice I've ever seen. You want to be a doctor or you want to be accepted at a specific school? From what I gather the later option is what you're looking for. I personally want to be a doctor and I would go to any of the three french schools here (Montreal, Laval or Sherbrooke), even if that means going to my second or third choice (but they're all great imo).

You really think so? It would ensure that one doesn't find themselves in such a predicament as I find myself. And really, I have seen that piece of advice touted around these boards many times. When coming up with a list of schools to apply to, it is best to only include those you'd be thrilled to attend. I don't understand why that is such bad advice. Seems like common sense to me.

Monette

EDIT: Oh, with regards to your other concern, please refer to post #40 - I believe I addressed the same issue there. And thank you for your feedback 🙂
 
Monette said:
Absolutely. I just want to point out that I used Harvard as an example because it is so commonly and widely associated with excellence. By no means did I imply that it is the *only* excellent school or that it is *more* excellent than all other schools. If I were to reapply, Harvard would not be the only school I apply to.

I assumed as much. I used Harvard for the same reason that you did—it's a convenient example that everyone agrees has a good reputation.

Fair enough. But the reputation that Harvard and other top schools enjoy seems to help their students secure the most competitive residency matches. Seriously, Harvard and other top schools have sweet match lists. And maybe it is because the top students go there. But I think the reputation must help out, even if just by a little. It can't hurt, now can it?

I'm certain that it doesn't hurt. And it may help a little bit. However, I think your performance during medical school, your references, your extracurricular activities, and, most importantly, your interview will all be much more important in determining whether you get a specific residency. I am quite sure that the strength of Harvard's match list is mostly the product of it already having a the best students. Of course, I have no proof of that.

Above, you write that you want to go to a school at which you'll be "thrilled to attend". I think that's the most important detail. As I advised in my PM to you a few days ago, if you aren't happy with the school to which you've been accepted, and you want to defer it while you try to gain admission somewhere in the U.S. where you would be "thrilled", I think that's fine—there's not much risk since your deferred spot will still be here next year. However, don't focus on the Top 15 schools then. Look through all the schools, examine their visions, their curriculums, and their extracurricular opportunities, and then apply to those schools which you would be "thrilled" to attend. If the Top 15 all thrill you, great. Apply there. But don't use Top 15 status as your determinant of where you'll apply; apply anywhere that you would be thrilled to attend whether it is a Top 15 or not. The school's vision, curriculum, and opportunities should be what exite you at some basic level, not their status as a Top 15 school.
 
Monette,
Your post is very popular. The evolution of the thread has dissected out many fine points, especially by WHO.MD.
I think I understand your point. Even perceived prestige/excellence can be powerful motivator. This is true for many acutally. To be in an environment where everyone feels they are held to a higher standard can be conducive to achievement. To think this way is not foolish or superficial. It's smart to put yourself in such environment if you think it will give you that extra push or opportunity to do better. Many chose places like Harvard because of the wealth of opportunity and the rigorous, stimulating learning environment. There is something to be said about being around the brightest and most creative minds, even if you are not the brightest or the most creative. Often, by association, you can learn to think like them.
In my years of student life, I have been in both prestigious and little-known schools. Looking back, I don't think my school's reputation significantly altered the course of my career one way or another. What did, was finding great mentors who taught me how to think and opened doors for me. How to find these mentors, should probably be your focus when you look for another school to attend next year. If you are interested in research, you should have a general direction in mind and start looking for mentors in that direction.
 
Who M.D. said:
I assumed as much. I used Harvard for the same reason that you did—it's a convenient example that everyone agrees has a good reputation.
Ms. Harvard was definitely the most popular girl in high school 😎

Who M.D. said:
I'm certain that it doesn't hurt. And it may help a little bit. However, I think your performance during medical school, your references, your extracurricular activities, and, most importantly, your interview will all be much more important in determining whether you get a specific residency. I am quite sure that the strength of Harvard's match list is mostly the product of it already having a the best students. Of course, I have no proof of that.
That is what I keep hearing which is why I started the other thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=297242

EDIT: Aaand, you already posted there! Seriously, thanks for all your input.

Who M.D. said:
Above, you write that you want to go to a school at which you'll be "thrilled to attend". I think that's the most important detail. As I advised in my PM to you a few days ago, if you aren't happy with the school to which you've been accepted, and you want to defer it while you try to gain admission somewhere in the U.S. where you would be "thrilled", I think that's fine—there's not much risk since your deferred spot will still be here next year. However, don't focus on the Top 15 schools then. Look through all the schools, examine their visions, their curriculums, and their extracurricular opportunities, and then apply to those schools which you would be "thrilled" to attend. If the Top 15 all thrill you, great. Apply there. But don't use Top 15 status as your determinant of where you'll apply; apply anywhere that you would be thrilled to attend whether it is a Top 15 or not. The school's vision, curriculum, and opportunities should be what exite you at some basic level, not their status as a Top 15 school.
Someone else already mentioned this. I think I already gave my likely misguided reasons of why only top 15. But yes med school would be more thrilling if I am at a school I am thrilled about attending. And dude, I am thrilled by how many times you used the word thrilled above. I find it thrilling to be able to repeat a word as many times as possible without it losing its thrill 😛

P.S. OH, and I still owe you a response to that incredibly informative PM. Sorry, life has been insane. 😳
 
Astrocyte said:
Monette,
Your post is very popular. The evolution of the thread has dissected out many fine points, especially by WHO.MD.
Yes, yes it has. A big thank you to everyone who has posted in this thread is definitely in order. So thank you – you guys have been incredibly helpful! 😉

Astrocyte said:
I think I understand your point. Even perceived prestige/excellence can be powerful motivator. This is true for many acutally. To be in an environment where everyone feels they are held to a higher standard can be conducive to achievement. To think this way is not foolish or superficial. It's smart to put yourself in such environment if you think it will give you that extra push or opportunity to do better. Many chose places like Harvard because of the wealth of opportunity and the rigorous, stimulating learning environment. There is something to be said about being around the brightest and most creative minds, even if you are not the brightest or the most creative. Often, by association, you can learn to think like them.
This is essentially what I have been saying, less the bolded part.

Astrocyte said:
In my years of student life, I have been in both prestigious and little-known schools. Looking back, I don't think my school's reputation significantly altered the course of my career one way or another. What did, was finding great mentors who taught me how to think and opened doors for me. How to find these mentors, should probably be your focus when you look for another school to attend next year. If you are interested in research, you should have a general direction in mind and start looking for mentors in that direction.
Thanks for the great advice. 🙂
 
From the Canadian forum (but you asked why we don't post in pre-allo... for me, it's cuz I don't come in here cuz I only found this site after I was accepted, but anywho... I'm posting it here to add to the rather ginormous thread)

Monette said:
Yes I am well aware there are no guarantees which is why I am DEBATING deferring. And I've addressed my reasons for wanting to defer in the other thread. And I am only talking about deferring. Not rescinding. I didn't really consider that a "gamble" but OK.

I'm not really familiar with the rest of the Canadian med schools since I only applied to UBC, but I thought a) you have to defer when you apply (ie, you can't defer after you've been accepted) and b) you have to have a really good reason. Perhaps this isn't true with all schools, but I'm pretty sure it's the case at UBC, unless something's changed that I'm not aware of. Have you checked that you can defer at your school this late in the game?

Also, it sounds to me like you've already got your mind made up to reapply, and you're just looking for validation. Which is fine... just don't be surprised when most people (especially people who've applied and been rejected and who would literally do just about anything to have an acceptance in hand) tell you to take what you've been given and thank God or your lucky stars or whom/whatever for this incredible opportunity.

If you're willing to take a year off to apply to the US, part of me wonders why you wouldn't reject your acceptance (I know, I know) if you *really* don't want to go there. You've advised people not to apply before they think they can get in, or to schools they don't want to go to. If you refuse your acceptance, you'd be in the same position you would have been if you hadn't applied, except that a) you know you have a DANG good chance of getting in at this same school as a last resort and b) you can apply to your dream Canadian school (as well as all the US schools you want to). If you're really so concerned about which school you want to go to and/or you don't think you'd be happy at the one you got into, then that's what I'd do. Plus you can take this year and do everything you can't do while you're in med school. I travelled, did the "volunteer in Africa" thing (which was PHENOMENAL and I think everyone should do it!), learned to rock climb and scuba dive, got my motorcycle license, etc. all in the 2 years between U-grad and med school. Taking a year isn't the end of the world.

In the end, forget about everything else, look deep into your heart and ask yourself this question: "Right now, at this moment, would I be happy going to X med school?" (X=the school you've been accepted at). Now, stick with this "gut response" and don't look back. And chances are, if you've been accepted at one Canadian school already, you've got great odds for the next round. Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do 🙂
 
tiger_lily said:
From the Canadian forum (but you asked why we don't post in pre-allo... for me, it's cuz I don't come in here cuz I only found this site after I was accepted, but anywho... I'm posting it here to add to the rather ginormous thread)
Welcome to my party! And man, I apparently suck at throwing one and am rather skilful at killing the mood 🙄 . And rather quickly… And yes it is a ginormous thread, but I have made (an apparently feeble) attempt to inject some humour to keep it a somewhat fun read. 🙂


tiger_lily said:
I'm not really familiar with the rest of the Canadian med schools since I only applied to UBC, but I thought a) you have to defer when you apply (ie, you can't defer after you've been accepted) and b) you have to have a really good reason. Perhaps this isn't true with all schools, but I'm pretty sure it's the case at UBC, unless something's changed that I'm not aware of. Have you checked that you can defer at your school this late in the game?
For this particular school, you have to defer once you have been accepted. In fact, I’ve never heard of it being the way you describe.

tiger_lily said:
Also, it sounds to me like you've already got your mind made up to reapply, and you're just looking for validation. Which is fine... just don't be surprised when most people (especially people who've applied and been rejected and who would literally do just about anything to have an acceptance in hand) tell you to take what you've been given and thank God or your lucky stars or whom/whatever for this incredible opportunity.
Not really. It’s just that most people are against the idea of deferring and listed the cons for following said course of action so I had to give my reasons for considering it. I guess I was hoping to have a few people who have gone through a somewhat similar situation share their story but apparently not many schools allow you to reapply once a deferral has been granted. And yes I anticipated negative comments and in fact requested that people not flame me. But in all fairness, people have been extremely positive and helpful and have only used constructive comments to illuminate both sides of the issue. So while I came in prepared for Jerky McJerkisons, I have only encountered Lovely McLovelisons… 😍

tiger_lily said:
If you're willing to take a year off to apply to the US, part of me wonders why you wouldn't reject your acceptance (I know, I know) if you *really* don't want to go there. You've advised people not to apply before they think they can get in, or to schools they don't want to go to. If you refuse your acceptance, you'd be in the same position you would have been if you hadn't applied, except that a) you know you have a DANG good chance of getting in at this same school as a last resort and b) you can apply to your dream Canadian school (as well as all the US schools you want to). If you're really so concerned about which school you want to go to and/or you don't think you'd be happy at the one you got into, then that's what I'd do. Plus you can take this year and do everything you can't do while you're in med school. I travelled, did the "volunteer in Africa" thing (which was PHENOMENAL and I think everyone should do it!), learned to rock climb and scuba dive, got my motorcycle license, etc. all in the 2 years between U-grad and med school. Taking a year isn't the end of the world.
Alright, I wasn’t going to say this, but… My family is pushing for me to either go or rescind so that I can apply to my dream schools in Canada because they really don’t want me to go to the States. I’ve also had a few people express similar views vis-a-vis PMs – they probably avoided posting for fear of getting flamed… 😱

tiger_lily said:
In the end, forget about everything else, look deep into your heart and ask yourself this question: "Right now, at this moment, would I be happy going to X med school?" (X=the school you've been accepted at). Now, stick with this "gut response" and don't look back. And chances are, if you've been accepted at one Canadian school already, you've got great odds for the next round. Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do 🙂

I have been doing a lot of soul searching but I keep finding myself back at square one. In fact, I just finished reading over my posts in this thread in an attempt to psychoanalyze myself by trying to objectively decipher what I subconsciously want and which may be elucidated by reading between the lines, Freudian style (I know I am insane 😉 ). And to be quite honest, from what I’ve written, I get the sense that I will have more regrets if I don’t give it a shot. Yeah I realize how self-centred that sounded and I am starting to scare myself :scared: .

But thanks for the vote of confidence and the feedback 🙂 !
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am going to post about the meanest thing I've ever posted, but I really think you need to maybe get some counseling and get over the fact that you didn't go to a prestigious ugrad. It sounds like that is holding you back from thinking rationally here (and no, it's not an excuse to say you're an idealist). Frankly, you remind me of myself many years ago, but I've since grown up. Also, I really am questioning your desire to be a doctor. If your primary motivation is prestige (and I honestly believe it is), acknowledge that before making career decisions.
 
Go to the school you have been accepted to and make some really good friends there. All you need are 1 or 2 good friends to hang out with and/or study with. Make sure you find some nice bookstores or coffee shops to study at and make sure the apt you're in is a place you like. Once you are there and have fun at orientation week you'll start liking it. Remember, you're going to be in med school, which is miserable no matter where you go. All of us want prestige, you're gonna get the MD no matter what, so just go to the school and make the best of it.
 
Monette said:
To all the Canadian Sherlock Holmes detectives-turned-pre-meds, could you please refrain from announcing the school that you think accepted me? Although I got a few very encouraging and informative PMs, I got one yesterday from someone who apparently found this so intriguing that they decided it warranted becoming a member of SDN just so they can PM me to ask me what the school was! They hadn't even made a single post at that point. I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they were just really really curious and not particularly in tune with e-etiquette but that really came across as an anonymous cyber freak being uber creeptacular! Why is SDN a public forum again?
Fer cryin' out loud. Do you really think that someone from your ick school (I'm guessing NOSM, but it's definitely one of the less impressive Ontario ones, anyway) is going to be trolling SDN and say "aha! let's rescind this girl's acceptance right now!" and then do so? No, they won't. Relax. No need to shout.

This thread (which I am embarrassed to say I read in its entirety, throwing good minutes after bad) is clearly a desperate attempt to validate the stupid course of action upon which you have already decided, quite firmly, in your head. Stop whining because others aren't endorsing your desires - just do what you're going to do, already! If it will make you feel that much better, who cares what anyone else thinks?

As one poster said, it would be more admirable to actually refuse your acceptance and try again for all your dream schools including the Canadian one (UofT, I presume, what with the prestige and all) and let some other Canadian, who dreams of your ick school, go there. (Heck, apply to the ick school as a safety, you know they'll probably accept you again anyway if you make up some dreck about needing an extra year to find yourself.) But I know you won't do that, even though you might have gotten into your cheaper, awesome, Canadian dream school along with the U.S. ones. How's that for regret?

If you don't get in, I can guarantee it won't be because of your stats.

Note: I am not flaming you because of your intended course of action. I am flaming you for your behaviour on this thread. And for starting an identical thread in the gentle Canadian forum, then having the gall to instruct people to post here instead of responding there. Stop trying to stir up as much of a tizzy as you possibly can with this. There are better ways to get the attention you crave - start an affirmative action thread, for instance.
 
Congrats on getting into med school!

I've skimmed through this thread and personally, based on my own experience I think you should just go to the med school you got into. Going to a prestigious means nothing at the end of the day. Trust me I've learned this. When I chose my undergrad school I totally based it on the fact that I wanted to go to a presitgious school and I ended up going to one of the top schools in Canada. Honestly it has done nothing for me. It hasn't made me a better person and it definitely hasn't made me a better candidate for med school. And now when I'm trying to decide where to apply to med school I'm not basing it on factors of how good is this going to look on my resume case at the end of the day no one cares where you went to med school as long as its an accredited school. It's not going to make you a better doctor. I'm pretty sure (and someone tell if i'm wrong on this) but I doubt there's a study out there that says that doctors who go to a top tier-school vs. a low-tier school do better in their careers. Going to a presitigious school isn't going to make you a better doctor. Plus no patient is going to be "I need to know where your credentials are from before I will let you treat me"...they don't care where you went to med school. I'm not trying to be mean in this post but I really think you should go to that school cause you don't know if you're going to get this same opportunity next round...you can't guarantee an acceptance next year if you reapply.
 
Think about it. Who cares where you went to med school at? Many patients I have talked to had doctors who graduated from Caribbean schools, and they love their docs. Just make the best of it. Congrats on getting in 🙂
 
Sounds like you got into Northern Ontario. Not bad, any canadian school is good. But its reputation is to produce GPs for Northern Rural communities. If thats not your cup of tea (and it isnt mine cause i def didnt apply there for that reason), then i dont know if i would go there either. Remember, deferring your acceptance wont default your place there, you can still go.

Whatever you decide, good luck.
 
Go out and have a beer with the peeps. You're gonna be a doctor, so party your @$$ of your last summer of freedom before the misery starts.
 
IF you are accepted at a Canadian school then go there! It is LCME accredited and you will earn your MD. Plus you won't have a lot of hoops to jump through to attend school in the US (unless you also hold US citizenship.)

Btw, what "bad" Canadian med school are you talking about? (I didn't read all 5 pages of posts, so if it has already been stated don't yell at me.)

I am going to SLU and I am Canadian. Having to deal with all the student visa issues, having to pay 4 years tuition up front, the currency differences, etc etc is a big pain. If I was able to stay in Canada to do my schooling it would be SO MUCH EASIER. But I can't. Why? Canadian schools are ridiculously hard to get accepted to. Even if you are going to the worst school in the country (ahem *Saskatchewan* ahem) you are still going to med school and don't have to pay exorbitant amounts for tuition.

You are in a good situation now. I wouldn't mind having your problem. No need to cause more problems by declining your acceptance to TRY applying to US schools. My advice might be a little different if you were actually accepted at a US school.

Stay in Canada, save your money, save yourself headaches, and save yourself from the constant questions of "Where in Canada are you from? Oh is that near Toronto? Do you know Bob?"
 
Why are you going into medicine? I think that if you were interested in medicine for the "right" reasons, rank and status might not be as important to you. I know there are many, many reasons for chosing medicine, and although it may sound like it, I do not mean to bash anyone's reasoning or choices. However, I feel that medicine may not end up being as fulfilling as you think it will be, if you are seeking status or money. This is just what I have gathered after really getting to know a variety of doctors in a variety of fields. Please do not be offended. I am not criticizing you AT ALL. I am just suggesting that you seem driven towards things that would be much more easily rewarded in a business related field.