3.67 sGPA/ 3.63 cGPA/ 31 MCAT(11,11,9)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCX1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have the fortune of being a Texas resident so I am focusing on Texas schools of course. I will also apply to out of state schools since I qualified for FAP so I might as well do it. My stats are listed in the title.

EC:

1) 4+ years as a private swim instructors
2) Some experience as a master swim coach and youth swim coach
3) 2 years in a cell signaling/redox lab that focused on DGC and muscular dystrophy
4) Elementary school tutor for 2+ years, mainly working with special ed kids (paid). I also did some volunteering hours doing this also ~ 15 hours
5) 2 years volunteering at a hospital ~ 100+ hours
6) Shadowed a family practitioner ~ 10 hours
7) Peer tutor at my school (mostly tutoring in science classes) this past semester
8) Kinesiology class TA for a semester
9) My leisure time activities are doing cross fit workouts and training during the spring semesters for intramural swim meets.

My out of state schools are:
Albany
Albert Einstein
Drexel
George Washington
Georgetown
Medical College of Wisconsin
Keck
Penn State
Tulane
University of Miami
Virginia Tech

Like I said, I am mainly focusing on Texas schools, but is this list of out of state schools reasonable? Should I add/ delete some? Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Looks like a good list. Keck may be a bit of a reach since their average MCAT is ~34. I'd consider adding a SUNY school or two (upstate and stony brook perhaps?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Any publications for the research? This could be a big deciding factor. Your app looks really good though.
I think you would get in pretty easily to mid tier schools.

Any publications for the research? This could be a big deciding factor. Your app looks really good though.
I think you would get in pretty easily to mid tier schools.

Unfortunately no...I did do an article presentation at a lab meeting though

That might take you out of any school that has a strong research initiative within their medical school or correlates tightly with graduate biomedical sciences. Unless you can really show you had an impact within that lab. But other than that your application looks great.

That might take you out of any school that has a strong research initiative within their medical school or correlates tightly with graduate biomedical sciences. Unless you can really show you had an impact within that lab. But other than that your application looks great.

Thank you for your input!

I was wondering about my shot at Baylor or UTSW? Any medical student there or sdn regular adcom users wanna chime in?

Thank you for your input!

I was wondering about my shot at Baylor or UTSW? Any medical student there or sdn regular adcom users wanna chime in?

My stats are almost identical to yours.
TMDSAS cGPA and sGPA of 3.68 and MCAT of 32 (12/10/10). I think we're good candidates for most schools in Texas, but both our MCAT and GPA are below UTSW and Baylor's averages, so I think we have a low shot at those. Our GPA might keep us out of schools like UTMB and UT-Houston, but I think we still have a shot at those.

Oh hey! I actually saw your thread earlier lol. Actually with UTMB, I am 2 points above average with my MCAT and about .1 below in GPA compared to the students from my school that got in UTMB so I think I have a good shot. UTH, Baylor, and UTSW averages are all above mine lol, but my premed advisor (who is awsome) told me I should have a shot since my ECs are pretty good? Who knows...haha

Oh hey! I actually saw your thread earlier lol. Actually with UTMB, I am 2 points above average with my MCAT and about .1 below in GPA compared to the students from my school that got in UTMB so I think I have a good shot. UTH, Baylor, and UTSW averages are all above mine lol, but my premed advisor (who is awsome) told me I should have a shot since my ECs are pretty good? Who knows...haha

According to the MSAR, UTMB has a median of 32 (11/10/11) and a median GPA of 3.85. Don't listen to advisors by the way, they don't know anything. But don't worry, you'll have great success this upcoming cycle :)

According to the MSAR, UTMB has a median of 32 (11/10/11) and a median GPA of 3.85. Don't listen to advisors by the way, they don't know anything. But don't worry, you'll have great success this upcoming cycle :)

Well I am talking about stats of the students from my school, not the stats nationwide. When it come to Texas schools, I look at the stats of the students from my school that got it. For out of state, I used the MSAR.

In regards to my advisor, I am a long-time lurker here at this forum and everything she advised match up really well to what is being said here. In fact, her name was mentioned a couple times here and those users said she is great also.

Anyway, I think we do have a good shot at most schools like you said so we will see how it turns out. Best of luck to you!

Where didya get in? How come no one ever asks that?

Why do u revive year old dead threads? Everyone should be asking that

Why do u revive year old dead threads? Everyone should be asking that

Because it's exactly a year later - and they would have gotten into medical school by now.

If you go through the journey with someone (in which I did, vicariously through reading these posts) it's only natural for me to wonder if the student made it.

Because it's exactly a year later - and they would have gotten into medical school by now.

If you go through the journey with someone (in which I did, vicariously through reading these posts) it's only natural for me to wonder if the student made it.

Understandable...but u could DM the person instead of reviving a necro thread