Can you chance me please if you can spare the time.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobatee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the dat today and here are my scores.

PAT: 20
QR: 19
RC: 17
Bio: 17
GC: 18
OC: 18
TS: 17
AA: 18

My gpa is 3.34 for overall and science both are damn close. I have 88 hours of volunteering and 108 hours of volunteering.

I was wondering if I should apply this year schedule for a retake or just wait until next year.

Here is my school list so far and I'm very limited on funds..but who isn't.

Howard University College of Dentistry
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine School of Dental Medicine
New York University College of Dentistry
Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine
Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry
Roseman University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry

I'm asian if anyone is wondering and I am a VA resident.

Members don't see this ad.

You are either slightly below average or have average stats and shadow/volunteer hours.
You might land an interview and if you do, you better impress them with your personality and character and get accepted that way.

If no acceptance this cycle, I would retake the DAT and try to get like a 20 across

My gpa is 3.34 for overall and science both are damn close. I have 88 hours of volunteering and 108 hours of volunteering.

I was wondering if I should apply this year schedule for a retake or just wait until next year.

you need to apply to 20+ schools. I have 19 aa/ts and applied to 18 schools

Members don't see this ad :)

Your DAT and GPA are both below average. Compared to others on this forum, your volunteering hours are not great. Your ethnicity doesn't help either. Try to find something that stands out for you, something unique and really try to stress that in some way (personal statement, secondaries, etc). Worse case scenario, retake the DAT. Aim for 22+

Save the money. Live better.

So just apply next year after a retake would be better?

I would take out Howard

Actually, I would keep Howard and take out Meharry. Meharry is historically black. While that is true for Howard as well, they do typically tend to accept a decent amount of Asians as well (compared to other ethnicity). If you were short on funds, though, I would actually take out both Meharry and Howard and add more expensive, private, newer schools. Ones that come to mind are Western, Midwestern, NYU.

GPa looks fine in my opinion. Extracurricular is good. But DAT looks like it needs a retake, since average is about a 20 nowadays and trends seem to be upward every year. U might want to apply to just the huge privates this year if any, like NYU, if u really want to give this year a shot. Goodluck

If you are URM, then you are good to go, otherwise, chances are pretty low.

Members don't see this ad :)
GPa looks fine in my opinion. Extracurricular is good. But DAT looks like it needs a retake, since average is about a 20 nowadays and trends seem to be upward every year. U might want to apply to just the huge privates this year if any, like NYU, if u really want to give this year a shot. Goodluck

Is the average really 20 (I'm assuming you mean for acceptance)? Have seen a fair amount of people with 19s get interviews.

Is the average really 20 (I'm assuming you mean for acceptance)? Have seen a fair amount of people with 19s get interviews.

Interviews =/= acceptance. Also, average means that a good amount of people with scores below and above get accepted.

Your call. It's not my money.

BTW, It's 196. I hope I've just helped you increase your QR a few points the next time around.;)

No you did not; you just made it worse.:mad:

I meant volunteering then shadowing I don't know why I said that twice

I think you for you to have a good chance you will need to spend the money necessary to do the shotgun approach (apply to all the big privates and the OOS friendly schools). If you don't want to spend the upfront money for applying to 20+ schools, I think you might be better off improving your app for next cycle. Applying to 8 or so schools is still expensive and you are cutting your chances of being accepted big time.

Yea that was what I was thinking. Any advice on what schools to add to the list. For volunteering I'm continuing it.:thumbup:

So just apply next year after a retake would be better?:thumbup:

I meant volunteering then shadowing I don't know why I said that twice See below

Yes lol sorry I posted this right after my DAT.See below
Whoo! Back at my cubicle.

It's quite clear the OP has selected his/her d-schools based on numerical statistics provided by published sources. This is my personal advice, meaning do as you please, to you: since you've declared that you are "limited on funds" and the tonality of your post does not indicate a shred of enthusiasm; I do not recommend exhausting these "limited funds" you currently possess. Assuming your transcripts are already validated, your fees are already made to AADSAS, and say you e-submit tomorrow; then the earliest batch you will get is the 7th batch. And as I've recalled searching through this forum, many of the other post made by other users do not seem enthusiastic at about being in those particular/subsequent batches either. What I do recommend you do is that you should wisely use those "limited funds" to finance extra studying aid or a personal tutor, so that your DAT score may hopefully improve earnestly. There's not that much else I can say other than, culturally speaking, I personally believe my advice would not be that much different; probably presented in a different way/manner. If you are adamant to have an application in for this cycle, then I, once again, personally recommend you applying to one school so that you can gain experience in this application process.

Sorry about the 'one-liners,' as I was on my short break. I can totally understand your parapraxis now that you've clearly addressed it; it was definitely taxing by the end of the test and you've just posted. I understand now and likewise. Also, make sure that majority of those shadowing hours are primarily allocated to a single-general dentist (e.g. Tufts is essentially uncompromising on this). And also enhance your nonacademic credentials at the same time, while taking advantage of the abundance of resources available; be it, SDN, pre-health adviser(s), peers, and etc.

Good luck.

Whoo! Back at my cubicle.

It's quite clear the OP has selected his/her d-schools based on numerical statistics provided by published sources. This is my personal advice, meaning do as you please, to you: since you've declared that you are "limited on funds" and the tonality of your post does not indicate a shred of enthusiasm; I do not recommend exhausting these "limited funds" you currently possess. Assuming your transcripts are already validated, your fees are already made to AADSAS, and say you e-submit tomorrow; then the earliest batch you will get is the 7th batch. And as I've recalled searching through this forum, many of the other post made by other users do not seem enthusiastic at about being in those particular/subsequent batches either. What I do recommend you do is that you should wisely use those "limited funds" to finance extra studying aid or a personal tutor, so that your DAT score may hopefully improve earnestly. There's not that much else I can say other than, culturally speaking, I personally believe my advice would not be that much different; probably presented in a different way/manner. If you are adamant to have an application in for this cycle, then I, once again, personally recommend you applying to one school so that you can gain experience in this application process.

Sorry about the 'one-liners,' as I was on my short break. I can totally understand your parapraxis now that you've clearly addressed it; it was definitely taxing by the end of the test and you've just posted. I understand now and likewise. Also, make sure that majority of those shadowing hours are primarily allocated to a single-general dentist (e.g. Tufts is essentially uncompromising on this). And also enhance your nonacademic credentials at the same time, while taking advantage of the abundance of resources available; be it, SDN, pre-health adviser(s), peers, and etc.

Good luck.

I think that's what I will probably do thank you for the responses.

So...I got my gpa uploaded by AADSAS and they said my BCP and science went down to 3.24 and non as 3.55. Someone told me my chances went down would that be the case?