Good Neonatology/NICU books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tazmaniac

2 min. from a nice nap
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any input on good Neonatology/NICU textbooks and/or handbooks on an intern/resident level? It's time to use my holiday gift certificates to good use.

-Todd MSIV USC

Members don't see this ad.

I generally recommend that residents who want a book look at:

Neonatology : Management, Procedures, On-Call Problems, Diseases, Drugs (LANGE Clinical Science)
by Tricia, Lacy Gomella (Editor), M. Douglas Cunningham, Fabien G. Eyal, as a pocketbook that is very complete for resident use.

Care of the High-risk neonate by Klaus and Fanaroff is a more classic textbook but I think most residents will do better with the other book.

Regards

oldbearprofessor

I'm going to be doing a sub-internship in the NICU this summer - would you also recommend this text (or perhaps others?) for a 4th year student?

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me also give my props to the Gomella book. Very solid book. Also, a "Red Book " for infectious disease is a must but DON'T BUY IT, every NICU has one.

Has anyone used "Fetal and Neonatal Secrets"? It presents info in a queston/answer format so may not be as useful as a study text, but may be good for reading during down-time. ? Any comments would be appreciated.

Originally posted by Cameron
Has anyone used "Fetal and Neonatal Secrets"? It presents info in a queston/answer format so may not be as useful as a study text, but may be good for reading during down-time. ? Any comments would be appreciated.

by Polan?

yes it's an interesting read. I used it as one of my review books for my neonatal boards actually.

dittos to the recommendation for Gomella's book. Very concise

I hafta hand it to you Neonatologists...I couldnt handle being around sick and dying babies all day....sick and dying patients is bad enough....but innocent babies?