avoiding glide year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krichan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
which postbac/masters programs are linked to med schools so that one can avoid the glide year?
alternately, can anyone comment on the pros and cons of doing a 2-year masters program but applying after the 1st year? i heard some med schools require you to finish your degree before attending but will they be satisfied with plans to finish?
if this info has been posted before, please direct me to that thread. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Johns Hopkins, Bryn Mawr, Scripps, Tufts, Drexel, Penn, Goucher for regular(standard). I don't know about Master's programs except for Georgetown which has a linkage with.. Georgetown. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey whats up

i found some schools with the linkage for academic record enhancers
UCONN---deadline is up april
UPENN
GEORGETOWN
is there any more???? The ones i've seen on student doctor like Goucher, Mills, UCSF etc are for career changers!

DOes anyone know anything about UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI post-bacc????
let me know

Duquesne has linkeage with a couple schools, both MD and DO I think, and LECOM has one with itself.

Here's a link that's on AAMC believe it or not. And all you do is click search and the stairway to post bac heaven opens. http://services.aamc.org/postbac/ It lists at least 98 schools with post bac programs and Special Masters Programs with links to their websites. Some of them list the requirements straight up but others, you have to actually go to the websites and search for the programs. It took me about a week to fully research them all.

Hope this helps :D

krichan said:
which postbac/masters programs are linked to med schools so that one can avoid the glide year?
alternately, can anyone comment on the pros and cons of doing a 2-year masters program but applying after the 1st year? i heard some med schools require you to finish your degree before attending but will they be satisfied with plans to finish?
if this info has been posted before, please direct me to that thread. thanks!

The UMDNJ master's program is essentially linked to New Jersey Medical School, but success in the program doesn't necessarily guarantee admission to NJMS. However, a good portion of students doing well in the program get accepted to both NJ medical schools.

I posted several times in the I do not recommend the umdnj masters program thread describing some of my experiences there. I completed the program in 1.5 years, and have a "glide semester" before I start at NJMS this fall, which I'm occupying with independent research.

I applied after having a full year of coursework in my amcas application (i.e., skipping an application cycle), as I think this made me more competitive versus people that tried to finish the program in 1 year (to avoid the glide semester/year) that applied without any master's coursework in amcas. If those people are accepted, yes, they avoid any "gliding," but I do know of several people that tried this approach, weren't accepted, and ended up having a glide year anyway because they had to reapply. After much debate, I decided the best option was to skip an application cycle to hopefully avoid reapplying. To your last question, as long as you have an intention to finish the master's program, the two NJ medical schools don't care when you apply.

Let me know if you have any other questions. have a good one,

abbeacon