Do letters from Engineering Professors count as Science letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neha4000

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Do schools accept letters from Engineering professors as science letters? I plan on getting letters from my chemical engineering professors, but I am not sure if this is acceptable or if they require a strictly science letter, like chem, o-chem, bio, etc..

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Neha4000 said:
Hi Everyone,

Do schools accept letters from Engineering professors as science letters? I plan on getting letters from my chemical engineering professors, but I am not sure if this is acceptable or if they require a strictly science letter, like chem, o-chem, bio, etc..

Thanks

depends on school and content of engineering class. But in general, you should get a Bio/chem letter for AMCAS schools, while texas schools generally allow more flexibility for "science" letters

Does your school have a committee letter? If so, i think getting chem-e letters are ok. All my science recs are from engineering professors and my pre-med advisor gave me the ok :) I don't think it really matters that much. Or at least at Hopkins, the advisors don't have any problem with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm having the same problem. i just decided to be premed about a year ago, so when i was taking all the basic science classes i never bothered to get to know my professors well enough to feel comfortable asking them for a letter now. the only science class i've taken recently is orgo, so i'm definitely getting a letter from my orgo professor, but i'm hoping an engineering letter will count for my second science letter or i'm going to have a problem.

if you can get two strictly science letters definitely do it, but if not, an engineering one should be fine as long as the content is similiar to a bio/chem/physics type of class as the above poster said.

-laura

I've always thought engeneering is one of those fake sciences. Like economics and psychiatry.

I forgot my [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] bars. My bad.

My school, which is cerb's school, doesn't have a committee letter. I used my engineering professor's for science letters and not one school complained.

Good luck getting non-science letters, that sucked for me.

i agree, i used a chemEng professor for my science letter...no one even mentioned anything about it and i applied to 18 schools

All of my science letters were from engineering profs. No one cared, not even the ones who were incredibly specific as to what they wanted in their directions (like Mt. Sinai).

Anka

Anka said:
All of my science letters were from engineering profs. No one cared, not even the ones who were incredibly specific as to what they wanted in their directions (like Mt. Sinai).

Anka

Same for me... all my science letters were from engr profs, and no one said anything about it. You shouldn't have a problem or even worry about doing the same.

bosco said:
Same for me... all my science letters were from engr profs, and no one said anything about it. You shouldn't have a problem or even worry about doing the same.
i got screwed NYMC didn't except an engineering letter for me and so I lose the money and I can't apply there.