Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HotSteamingTurd

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what kind of letters you all got when applying for path residency (like how many and how many specifically from path and from other fields). Simple survey question I'm putting out just out of curiosity.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I hope other people will answer because I am curious...I had all 3 from pathologists (plus my deans letter). That was basically because I did a post soph fellowship and the physicians who knew me best were pathologists. I thought about getting an LOR from either a surgeon I knew pretty well or an IM person who seemed to like me so much I thought he was going to kidnap me and give me the Clockwork Orange treatment until I agreed to go into IM. He was one of the folks who told me I was "wasting a talent" by not doing an IM residency. (My talent is that old people like me). Unfortunately, which I did not tell him, having old people like you does not really help pay the bills unless you are in the religion business, because old people do not spend money on anything unless it is grandchildren or god. Not to say that I am in this for the money, it's because IM involves too much peripheral stuff for me. If it was all challenging diagnoses and being nice to old people, well sign me up. Instead it's paperwork, avoiding diagnostic tests, and arguing with people over appointments or costs. That and sticking your finger up someone's butt to look for the cancer.

But anyway, to be back on topic I had 2 letters from pathologists at my home institution, where I did the PSF. One was the residency PD and the other was the director of AP, both of whom had lots of contacts, etc. The other was a bigwig at an away institution where I did a rotation.

The consensus seems to be that you need at least one letter from a pathologist who can specifically attest to your ability and motivation to do pathology. If you have done lots of research, probably a letter from there. But if you have an IM or pediatrician who knows you really well and can write you a letter, go for it. ERAS allows you to send usually 3 letters + deans letter to each program, but they don't have to be the same letter. Thus you can send different letters to different programs if you think it would be helpful.

Yaah,
The waste of your talent is not in escaping IM, but in not writing a book-er, you haven't, have you?
BTW, why the quote from Rickey?

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha no book yet. Perhaps someday. I took a creative writing course when I was a senior in high school and the instructor said that he foresaw that would one day be publishing novels with a humorous and disturbing bent. In that class I wrote lots of stories about childhood and some strange events, supernatural stuff, all that. Creative. I have a bit of an eye for detail so it's kind of fun to pick up on. But anyway, maybe someday I will become an author. Not much time yet though.

The Rickey quote I just love. I get a kick out of someone sliding into 3rd base to become the all time stolen base leader, then immediately ripping the base out of the ground, parading around with it over their head, and then making a speech where all he says is, "Today, I am the greatest of all time, thank you." What a character. I like Rickey because he is about 45 years old now and loves baseball so much that every year he signs a new minor league contract and plays single A ball hoping someone will call him up to the majors. He's not the greatest of all time though. Teddy Ballgame was the greatest of all time.

Rickey is definitely a piece of work. Still upset he beat out my beloved Lou Brock, but I can't argue with his talent (neither can he).
Can't argue much with you re: the Splinter. Reading some of his comments on his approach to hitting is fascinating. While Bonds has captivated everyone's attention these days, he seems to be so one-dimensional, though before the last 2-3 years, he really was known for being a complete player. Sadly, 'roids are going to probably stain his legacy forever.

I had 4 letters, 1 from a pathologist, the others from internal medicine, family practice and peds.