TEXAS Med Schools Entering Class *2005* Applicant Thread part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EvoDevo

Forging a Different Path
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Props to TexasRose!)

Welcome everyone! Have a question about the TX system process? Wanna keep track of everyone's progress? Share war stories? Here's your thread. :D

Let's get this party started, eh?

** Reading the Runes: The Match and reading your status page.**

Info kindly supplied by Lane and summarized by JDAD. Could be wrong. Use at your own risk.

So on your status page, look at the "Last action date" and follow this guide.

• Aparently, if your date keeps changing up until Feb 1st, you didn't match.
  • If your date changes and then stops. That means you matched.
  • If your date changes, then stops, then changes again, that means you matched a a higher school that you did the first time.
  • If your date doesn't change at all, that means you matched at your #1.

~~Countdown to TX Match Day~~

1. The link to last year's thread.

2. MCAT & GPA's for the schools, minus Baylor (Thanks, STAC!):

http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/stats_EY04.htm

http://www8.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/cda/dept21170/files/65445.html

http://www.med.uth.tmc.edu/admissions/faq.htm#three

http://medicine.tamu.edu/studentaffairs/admiss01.htm#profile

http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/tcom/enteringclassstats.cfm

http://www.ttuhsc.edu/SOM/admissions/statistics.asp

http://www.utmb.edu/somstudentaffairs/faqs/faqs.htm

http://som.uthscsa.edu/WelcomeAdmiss.html

Good :luck: to everyone!

**EDIT: Adding application processing and interview contact information **

:horns: How each school rec/proc your primary app materials :horns:

Houston: electronic download, avail. immediately. [very fast review process]
San Antonio:electronic download, avail. immediately [very fast review]
Southwestern: e-download, uncertain review speed.
Galveston: assumed e-download.
Tech: snail mail [though they can view that TMDSAS is complete, they are maile a weekly packet]
TAMU: snail mail

:hardy: How each school contacts you for interviews :hardy:

UTH: email (they respond really early) then snail mail
TCOM: phone call then email after setting up date
A&M: email
Tech: email
UTSW: email then snail mail
UTSA: snail mail
UTMB: snail mail

-txguy

:thumbup: Which days each school interviews :thumbup:

UTH-Fridays
UTMB-Fridays
UTSW-Every other Saturday
Baylor-Every other Fridays
A&M interviews on Thursdays
San Antonio interviews on Mondays
TCOM interviews on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays (with smaller groups--about 10 each)

--Thanks to runner1979 and AsianDoc816

:cool: Visit UTMB and stay with a Med Frat! :cool:

Year2utmbBETA said:
Hey Ya'll,
Hope Interviews are going well. My name is George Alsop and I'm a MS2 at UTMB.
I'm President of The Phi Beta Pi Fraternity and a friend of mine who was applying this year told me about this site and asked me to put up a post telling ya'll that you can have a free night's stay at the Fraternity House before your interview at UTMB. We've already had a few guys stay with us and it'll give you a unique insight to UTMB and Med School life in general. The Fraternity System at UTMB is unique and is almost the opposite of what fraternities were like in college (Think more like the movie Nerds). We've got guys in the house that are in all phases of Med School and even a guy who's doing his Residency at UTMB so there will be lots of people to answer your questions. Our Fraternity usually places well in the various residencies and having guys right across the hall to study with helps out.
You should receive something in your interview packet with our contact info but my e-mail is [email protected] if you need to contact me. We're a block away from the school and right across from the Fieldhouse (rec center), and you can snag a free dinner if you make it to the house by 6.
Good luck on your interviews.
Back to Studying....

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck, everyone. This is gonna be fun.

My letter writers have turned in my stuff, but I'm still waiting on my health professions office to organize those and send them out. Should be good to go by the end of the week though.

I submitted all my stuff and I'm just waiting for my LORs to come in and I'll be good to go.

EvoDevo - Some of the links don't work cause of the ... in the middle..Could you repost the links?

Members don't see this ad :)
Bright Star said:
I submitted all my stuff and I'm just waiting for my LORs to come in and I'll be good to go.

EvoDevo - Some of the links don't work cause of the ... in the middle..Could you repost the links?
All fixed.

Interesting note: Apparently UTSW's entering class had a gpa range from 3.03 - 4.0, and an MCAT range of 23 to 40. Wow.

For the UTSW ranges....sounds fishy to me. I guess its URM or extreme circumstances (saved the farm while curing cancer during the weekends, no time to study for mcat)

Honestly...i haven't applied to UTSW cuz I figure I have no chance in hell.

Submitted: 6/25
NO SENT TO SCHOOLS YET AHHHHHH

secondaries sent!

wait wait wait

Fun thread!!

My app fee, photos, cert page, were received on June 21st--my app is still not transmitted. :confused: :confused:

My committee letter is supposedly in the mail.

Lastly, my secondaries are sent!

Good luck guys... :thumbup: :thumbup:

-tx

txguy said:
Fun thread!!

My app fee, photos, cert page, were received on June 21st--my app is still not transmitted. :confused: :confused:

My committee letter is supposedly in the mail.

Lastly, my secondaries are sent!

Good luck guys... :thumbup: :thumbup:

-tx
the committee letter is what is holding it up i think

Keberson said:
For the UTSW ranges....sounds fishy to me. I guess its URM or extreme circumstances (saved the farm while curing cancer during the weekends, no time to study for mcat)

Submitted: 6/25
NO SENT TO SCHOOLS YET AHHHHHH

secondaries sent!

wait wait wait
If you are applying in TX you might as well do all the schools.

jpro said:
If you are applying in TX you might as well do all the schools.

i guess you are right...and i did..just not the secondary yet. I'm not to pumped about getting a rejection letter though (which I will from them)

Keberson said:

The ranges can reflect someone with a low GPA who kicked butt on the MCAT and had a good ps/experiences. Likewise, a low MCAT can be supported with a stellar GPA and app. Don't assume it's URM or that it couldn't be you!

If anyone has questions about the application experience, feel free to ask, or PM. :)

how much time did yall spend on the secondary essays?

not long, those secondaries were very easy.

latinfridley said:
how much time did yall spend on the secondary essays?

About 3 weeks on all of them....but I am a very slow writer :(

-tx

Members don't see this ad :)
TexasRose said:
The ranges can reflect someone with a low GPA who kicked butt on the MCAT and had a good ps/experiences. Likewise, a low MCAT can be supported with a stellar GPA and app. Don't assume it's URM or that it couldn't be you!

If anyone has questions about the application experience, feel free to ask, or PM. :)
Well said. Please, let us avoid the cranky "It musta been a URM" talk. K? :)

Cheers!

I didn't say that it must have a been a URM...i said it could have been or some other extreme circumstance ( like amazing mcat and mediocre GPA,save the farm, cure cancer, ect)

haha...anyway. I just thought that UTSW was really hard to get into based on the numbers from my university. Nobody below a 29 mcat got in from my school so I guess that's why I'm scared to apply....

but i did anyway just now, finished that secondary (since it was free and didn't require any mailing cert page or what not)

but the UNT secondary???? Geeze...i don't know much about osteopathic medicine so how can I write about how badly I want to pursue it?

SO....when did ya'll submit and when did it get sent!!!

I'm honestly rooting for either UTH or UTMB...anybody else?

Keberson said:
I'm honestly rooting for either UTH or UTMB...anybody else?
I'd love to stay in Houston (so UTH or Baylor), personally. :thumbup:

keberson, it's all good, mate. Just trying to stave off any hatred in this thead (not necessarily from you).

Glad to see that you applied to UTSW. :)

I want to stay here in Dallas so UTSW would be great but Houston is nice too so (UTH or Baylor)..but I think I could go anywhere in TX and be happy since I'll just be a short plane ride away from home.

Bright Star said:
I want to stay here in Dallas so UTSW would be great but Houston is nice too so (UTH or Baylor)..but I think I could go anywhere in TX and be happy since I'll just be a short plane ride away from home.

You'll also save about 100 grand because you got to stay in Texas! :D

-tx

txguy said:
You'll also save about 100 grand because you got to stay in Texas! :D

-tx
Well of course that is another plus of being a resident of the great state of TX ;)

just a note:

this is the last year UTHSCSA is doing the CIC class in july. next year it will begin classes around the same time as the other texas schools.

:)

what is CIC?

lane said:
just a note:

this is the last year UTHSCSA is doing the CIC class in july. next year it will begin classes around the same time as the other texas schools.

:)
Sux for those in the class now, eh? :smuggrin:

well, i just filled out the secondary for UTSW and UNT.
I wasn't planning on applying to these two because 1) i have no chance in hell getting into UTSW and 2) do I really want to be a D.O?

here goes...

Keberson said:
well, i just filled out the secondary for UTSW and UNT.
I wasn't planning on applying to these two because 1) i have no chance in hell getting into UTSW and 2) do I really want to be a D.O?

here goes...
Way to be brave, keberson!! Nothing ventured, nothing gained! :thumbup:

Hi,
I was going to start a new thread on Texas schools but then i saw this one.

My question is whether it is worth it for me to apply to the UT system schools. I'm a CA resident 3.9 GPA, 30 MCAT, and i've already filed AMCAS.

I've seen that the number of out of state applicants is really low, but the percent accepted is higher. is there some trend i might be missing, or do i have a good shot of getting in?

Thanks

only 10% of the class is filled with out of staters

actually 10% isn't that bad of a figure

10% is bad.

From the UT site:

Texas residents (matriculated/applied) - 1215/2651
non-Texas residents (matriculated/applied) - 142/679

Thats roughly a 46% acceptance rate for Texas residents and 21% for non-Texas residents.

and if you get out your MSAR and compare just the numbers of accepted v. applied for outta staters you'll find texas is more favorable than most.

Texas schools are very into the Texas resident thing. Plus, if you're out of state, I've heard that your stats have got to shine. It's good being a Texas resident :D .

alrightythen. so recommendations? should i go for it?

superunknown said:
alrightythen. so recommendations? should i go for it?
Yep. Go for it. You seem to have great numbers. What does it hurt? Truthfully, it's cheaper than applying to AMCAS schools !

well, you dont have the great numbers that youd probably need for an OOSer, but i think you should do it anyway if you want to come to tx.

1) the TMDSAS application is simple
2) the secondaries are simple
3) its not that expensive

i am trying to write my ps on tmdsas but my tab key doesnt allow to indent. is there where i can just skip a line and leave it blank? to make it seem like a paragraph?

superunknown said:
Hi,
I was going to start a new thread on Texas schools but then i saw this one.

My question is whether it is worth it for me to apply to the UT system schools. I'm a CA resident 3.9 GPA, 30 MCAT, and i've already filed AMCAS.

I've seen that the number of out of state applicants is really low, but the percent accepted is higher. is there some trend i might be missing, or do i have a good shot of getting in?

Thanks
superunknown, I hope you sent that AMCAS to Baylor. We're do give slight preference to Texas residents, but it's not as stringent as it is for the public Texas schools.

Your numbers are very good, especially the GPA. The MCAT is probably on the low-end for an out-of-stater, but it's not going to knock you out of the game. Remember that a lot of those out-of-staters will only be applying to UTSW, so apply to all of our schools if you are interested in Texas medicine - by the way, if you can get into UTSW, the deal is great. They give you a special Perot funded scholarship so your tuition is actually CHEAPER than that of the in-state students.

EvoDevo said:
Way to be brave, keberson!! Nothing ventured, nothing gained! :thumbup:
i try
thanks

Keberson said:
what is CIC?

Clinical Integration Course

we started school yesterday (already :oops:) and will spend the next month learning basic clinical skills, like taking a history, interviewing the patient, doing a physical exam, learning basic life support, etc. so we can hit the wards during our first 2 years (which is rare in most med schools). a lot of people call it summer camp since it's fairly easy and it gives us a great chance to find our way around campus and meet everyone before the stressful classes begin in august. but alas, future classes won't have to get here a month early ;)

thats cool that you get to meet everyone in a low stress environment...

though some schools seem to market it that way, early clinical integration is not a big selling point for me. im not ready to look at a patient that early. id have no confidence (whether false or not) in myself.

IndyZX said:
thats cool that you get to meet everyone in a low stress environment...

though some schools seem to market it that way, early clinical integration is not a big selling point for me. im not ready to look at a patient that early. id have no confidence (whether false or not) in myself.

Its not like you will be doing anything major with these patients...something like histories, vitals, or something non-complex. You can't be afraid to do just that? I think the main idea is to get comfortable with patient interaction...the social aspects of it. Are you comfortable talking to people that are not like you and can you handle possibly uncomfortable situations like sombody crying or angry? That's the main point of early clinical integration. I think its a great idea because so many people go into med school not feeling completely comfortable with patients so its a good idea to start getting those patient contacts as soon as possible.

Just waiting for reviewers to edit PS, so I can type up the final, otherwise ready to submit.

Applying only to TCOM and Houston, in that order of preference, /Ph.D for both. I need to stay close to DFW, and I believe Baylor and UTSW are out my league.

LOR's in the works....

Incidentally, the DO essay was the easiest to write. :thumbup:

UNTlabrat said:
Just waiting for reviewers to edit PS, so I can type up the final, otherwise ready to submit.

Applying only to TCOM and Houston, in that order of preference, /Ph.D for both. I need to stay close to DFW, and I believe Baylor and UTSW are out my league.

LOR's in the works....

I say apply to UTSW (since you are already filling out TMDSAS) and Baylor (if you are already applying via AMCAS to other schools--maybe not since you want to stay close to home).

Its definitely worth a shot.....to repeat another poster,

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Good luck! :thumbup: :thumbup:

-tx

UNTlabrat said:

LOR's in the works....

UNTlabrat, I agree with txguy... you never know what could happen.

believe me, my stats are crap and im not very interesting at all, yet UTSW surprised the hell outta me with an interview and a waitlist spot... not that it matters at this point anymore :laugh:

Keberson said:
Its not like you will be doing anything major with these patients...something like histories, vitals, or something non-complex. You can't be afraid to do just that? I think the main idea is to get comfortable with patient interaction...the social aspects of it. Are you comfortable talking to people that are not like you and can you handle possibly uncomfortable situations like sombody crying or angry? That's the main point of early clinical integration. I think its a great idea because so many people go into med school not feeling completely comfortable with patients so its a good idea to start getting those patient contacts as soon as possible.

I work in the Surgery Dept. and Recovery as a Clinical Assistant, and I get to do all that on a daily basis.. I agree, it is important to get clinical exp. (i.e. patient interxn) before entering Med School to get a feeling.

page 5? no way... back to the top!

how are you guys doing on secondaries? i finally finished that baylor essay and am done till this wkend. hopefully i can finish yale and hopkins then, since those are pretty short and i have already started throwing thoughts together.

Hi guys....i am having a great deal of trouble with one of the secondary questions for Texas A & M and was hoping you all could give me some direction....I have posted the question below.....

Could some please give me some direction by shedding some light on the question?

What are some of the key points that you would bring up if you had to answer this question?

"One of the essential qualities of the clinician is interest in humanity, for the
secret of the care of the patient is in caring for the patient." Discuss briefly
how you would fulfill this commitment as a physician. (500 words)

HELP ME PLEASE!!.......THANK YOU!!

EvoDevo said:
Let's get this party started, eh?
psycho!!!!!! its only July!!!!!!! :scared:

:p ;) :p