TEXAS Med Schools Entering Class *2005* Applicant Thread part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AsianDoc816 said:
Yah, I've heard that the Chem/Biochem majors at UT have it REALLY bad as far as lab and required classes go. I feel sorry for you guys, but respect your ability to do well despite the difficulties! Oh, and as a double major in Bio and Psy (with a little taste of Chem and Physics), I can say with accuracy/validity that liberal arts classes are about 1000 times easier than science ones (though many of the LA classes are more interesting and engaging)!

I know! My roommate never quite understood the 1:3 ratio for credit hours earned : physical hours put in for UT science labs. Silly liberal arts major! Hahaha..but she had to write lots of 20 page papers. Serves her right.

p.s. CH210C was not that bad.

Members don't see this ad.

AsianDoc816 said:
Yah, I've heard that the Chem/Biochem majors at UT have it REALLY bad as far as lab and required classes go. I feel sorry for you guys, but respect your ability to do well despite the difficulties! Oh, and as a double major in Bio and Psy (with a little taste of Chem and Physics), I can say with accuracy/validity that liberal arts classes are about 1000 times easier than science ones (though many of the LA classes are more interesting and engaging)!

Let's not open up that can of worms about what was harder - science vs liberal arts and so on. Both types of college courses are enriching and use different parts of the brain, and your experiences (of taking a bunch of easy LA classes, evidently) are not everyone else's.

I am glad I took challenging classes from all over the course catalogue at UT Austin. It was a great school for me. :)

Stitch626 said:
I know! My roommate never quite understood the 1:3 ratio for credit hours earned : physical hours put in for UT science labs. Silly liberal arts major! Hahaha..but she had to write lots of 20 page papers. Serves her right.

Some people like writing too.

Now that I think about it, you're talking organic chem lab, and I was thinking GENERAL chem lab, so I see where the miscommunication came from. I actually was refering to intro chem lab, which I just remembered was 204, not 210c (it's been a few years). In *204* I had the trollish grad student who stood on a stool and yelled into my ear at 8 o'clock in the morning, while I tried to figure out why my "stainless steel" sample was rusted to hell. And THAT was the worst 4 hrs of MY life every week for a semester.

Yeah, organic lab wasn't so bad & I am glad that I got chemical lab exposure *beyond* my intro chem class, because now I actually like chemistry (especially when you go to the store and check the labels and realize that women are paying $40 a jar for "wrinkle cream" that really only has *baby oil* :laugh: ).

Members don't see this ad :)
neoncandle said:
I applied without all my pre-reqs done.. in fact, I am finishing up calculus now just so I can go to UT-H. Woohoo!
I'm with you. Trying to do a distance learning calculus class is up there with the less enjoyable things I've ever done.

I had the luxury of declining a med school interview. I was invited to USUHS, the military school in Bethesda, MD. It came in on Thursday before I even had a chance to withdraw. This school started out as my first choice, but then I interviewed and matched in my hometown of Houston. Anybody else get any post-match interview invites, or is everybody just withdrawing apps? A couple of people (parents) are saying to just let the other apps stay out there (non-Texas schools), but I don't think they understand that I got into a place I want to go and just want the process to be over.

DeepCowboy said:
I had the luxury of declining a med school interview. I was invited to USUHS, the military school in Bethesda, MD. It came in on Thursday before I even had a chance to withdraw. This school started out as my first choice, but then I interviewed and matched in my hometown of Houston. Anybody else get any post-match interview invites, or is everybody just withdrawing apps? A couple of people (parents) are saying to just let the other apps stay out there (non-Texas schools), but I don't think they understand that I got into a place I want to go and just want the process to be over.
So I received a Creighton interview invite on Tuesday. I declined the interview but it was kind of hard. Even though I have no intention of going now that I got into UTHSCSA, it still felt weird to say "no."

I'm waiting until UT receives my confirmation of acceptance letter before I w/draw from the school I"m accepted to, as well as my other apps.

BTW, I love that quote: "You never heard me coming." :smuggrin: Got to love the Silent Service. :thumbup:

EvoDevo said:
So I received a Creighton interview invite on Tuesday. I declined the interview but it was kind of hard. Even though I have no intention of going now that I got into UTHSCSA, it still felt weird to say "no."

I'm waiting until UT receives my confirmation of acceptance letter before I w/draw from the school I"m accepted to, as well as my other apps.

BTW, I love that quote: "You never heard me coming." :smuggrin: Got to love the Silent Service. :thumbup:

Yah, declining my Tulane interview was really tough. I went back and forth on my decision multiple times. BTW, all of this pondering occured right before the match! I'm gonna feel sorta sad giving up my acceptance to SLU as well. I know it sounds selfish, but, I really liked the school, and would consider it more serioiusly if it were closer to home and not quite so expensive!

EvoDevo said:

ditto.

I just want my acceptance to be "official" at UTHSCSA before I withdraw from my out-of-state acceptances. :oops:

-tx

Stitch626 said:

hey now...

ease up on us liberal arts majors... we may not have to take a lot of labs but a lot of us have to write an 80 pages thesis this semester...now try doing that once you've been accepted into med school...trust me its hard!

congrats to everyone that got in this year!

P.S. Where's the option to put where you're going to medical school underneath your messages?

Have you received any correspondence from the schools? I haven't heard anything yet. :oops:

true blue said:
Have you received any correspondence from the schools? I haven't heard anything yet. :oops:

I haven't received anything either. I guess everyone is still getting their stuff together.

true blue said:

Nothing either. I just hope I made it to a list to any school. :(

I just wanted to say that I wish you all the best of luck. It sucks that you have to sit around and wait, but I have a feeling that some good news will hit for you all in no time at all. No matter what, you're going to become a doctor, this is just one more bump in the road. Stay positive, you'll get there :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
coomassie said:
Nothing either. I just hope I made it to a list to any school. :(

I've received notification of wait list from TCOM, and rejection letters from most of the schools that did not invite me for an interview - San Antonio, TAMU, and Galveston. I'm still waiting to hear from Houston.

cluelesspremed said:
hey now...

ease up on us liberal arts majors... we may not have to take a lot of labs but a lot of us have to write an 80 pages thesis this semester...now try doing that once you've been accepted into med school...trust me its hard!

congrats to everyone that got in this year!

P.S. Where's the option to put where you're going to medical school underneath your messages?

As a liberal arts and science double major, writing 30 page papers does suck at times....but in a way, I prefer that to memorizing the twenty amino acids and all of their functions....or better yet, spending 10 hours a week on a 1 or 2 hour credit lab!

You can "input" where you are going to medical school by clicking on "User CP" and then on "Edit Signature."

ajnak182 said:
I just wanted to say that I wish you all the best of luck. It sucks that you have to sit around and wait, but I have a feeling that some good news will hit for you all in no time at all. No matter what, you're going to become a doctor, this is just one more bump in the road. Stay positive, you'll get there :thumbup:
Thank you.

Congrats on your acceptance and good luck to you! :luck:

true blue said:
Thank you.

Congrats on your acceptance and good luck to you! :luck:

Thank you TB, best of luck to you as well, though I doubt you'll need it :thumbup:

My UTSW status says "Application no longer being considered". Does that mean I'm rejected? Sounds like it said waitlist for others. Did anyone else get that status?

Ranger47 said:
My UTSW status says "Application no longer being considered". Does that mean I'm rejected? Sounds like it said waitlist for others. Did anyone else get that status?

Did you rank it higher than UT-Houston? If not, it's no longer being considered b/c you matched at a higher ranked school.

eralza said:
I'm with you. Trying to do a distance learning calculus class is up there with the less enjoyable things I've ever done.

Yeup...did that too. I was so happy when I could finally answer the question of "so, what did you do this weekend?" with something OTHER than "Calculus."

On the plus side, I did know a lot of engineering majors who gladly took alcohol in exchange for calculus tutoring.

MadameLULU said:
Did you rank it higher than UT-Houston? If not, it's no longer being considered b/c you matched at a higher ranked school.
I am an out of stater and only interviewed at UTSW.

Ranger47 said:
I am an out of stater and only interviewed at UTSW.

Interesting....maybe you should call them and ask about your status. Did you get the e-mail about being on the waitlist from Scott Wright?

so you guys from other colleges, do you guys know alot of people that will drop out of texas schools so maybe the acceptance will go to people on waitlist. approx. how many would you say will go out of state or baylor.

AsianDoc816 said:
As a liberal arts and science double major, writing 30 page papers does suck at times....but in a way, I prefer that to memorizing the twenty amino acids and all of their functions....or better yet, spending 10 hours a week on a 1 or 2 hour credit lab!

You can "input" where you are going to medical school by clicking on "User CP" and then on "Edit Signature."

Oh definitely...I'll take paper writing over rote memorization or taking the premed labs anyday...i still shiver at the thought of CH210C..

thanks for the signature info

Just spoke with the registrar's office. The alternate pool is still being finalized. It will consist of 50-60 people, who all will be re-evaluated whenever a spot becomes available. Letters will be sent early next week.

AsianDoc816 said:
Interesting....maybe you should call them and ask about your status. Did you get the e-mail about being on the waitlist from Scott Wright?
I didn't get that email so assume that is a bad sign. I sent him an email asking what is up so we'll see.

I ranked TCOM 2nd out of two, and I got a letter from them saying I was waitlisted at TCOM after matching to UTH. What's up with that?

dizzydog said:
Just got an acceptance letter today from USUHS. Hmmm, tempting but no thanks...I am San Antonio bound! :thumbup:

Congrats dizzy! :)

Anyone have any last master file updates dated after 2/1? What about validation dates?

LFMU - 2/7
No Validation
Matched A&M

dizzydog said:
Just got an acceptance letter today from USUHS. Hmmm, tempting but no thanks...I am San Antonio bound! :thumbup:
Congrats and good decision, my man! :thumbup:

LMFU: 020605
Matched to UTMB

RTQPCR said:
Anyone have any last master file updates dated after 2/1? What about validation dates?
LMFU: 020705
Matched to TAMU

Must not mean anything since True Blue didn't match and hers changed.

Good luck True Blue...I hope you are able to get accepted off of a waitlist!! :luck:

Hi Everyone,

I will be leaving my job as a research technician in the Baylor College of Medicine Neonatology Department at Texas Children's Hospital. We are looking for someone to replace me in May 2005 and I wanted to see if there are any interested pre-meds/or otherwise interested candidates in the Houston area who might want some research experience. This may be an excellent opportunity for reapplicants to enhance their resume.

The position is in a microbiology/immunology lab working with rat and mouse models to test various means to treat/prevent various types of bacterial infections. I've had many opportunities to shadow teams of neonatologists in the NICU, which has given me incredible perspective on the field I hope to eventually enter. I've had vivid and meaningful experiences to share during interviews as a result of being exposed firsthand to some of the issues we are working on in our lab. Also, I have been invited to attend countless pediatrics lectures at Baylor and have learned a great deal.

Availability: Starting in May 2005
Hours: 40/wk
Employer: Baylor College of Medicine
Salary: ~$22,000/year
Requirements: No prior knowledge/experience necessary.

I have really enjoyed this job and would highly recommend it to anyone interested in going to medical school. If you're interested, please either send me a private message on SDN or email me at [email protected].

Thanks!

-MLewis

SFAJess said:
Matched to TAMU

Good luck True Blue...I hope you are able to get accepted off of a waitlist!! :luck:
I thought we killed the LMFU theory! :laugh:

Thanks again, Jess and congrats on getting your first choice!

SFAJess said:
Matched to TAMU

Are we still analyzing LMFU?? :confused: :scared: :confused:

And good luck True Blue--I am pulling for you to get in off of the waitlist :thumbup:

-tx

7 Medical Schools @ Univ. of Houston 2-14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For all of you in the Houston area:

On Feb. 14th from 10am-3pm, UH is hosting a health career fair. Admissions officials from 7 of the TX programs (all but UT-H) will be attending. There will also be booths for grad schools, and other pre-health related careers.

Just thought it might be of special interest for anyone applying next year, or looking for waitlist movement this year.

It is in the Houston Room in the University Center.

Details: http://ppb.uh.edu/health_fair.htm

map: http://www.uh.edu/campus_map/buildings/UC.html

txguy said:
Are we still analyzing LMFU?? :confused: :scared: :confused:

And good luck True Blue--I am pulling for you to get in off of the waitlist :thumbup:

-tx
Thanks, txguy! I am hoping for a miracle at this point. :)

Congratulations on your acceptance and good luck!

I'm trying to figure out the attachment thing. Somebody let me know if you can hear the heartbeat on either file. Listen closely for the slight arrythmia at second 6.

DeepCowboy said:
I'm trying to figure out the attachment thing. Somebody let me know if you can hear the heartbeat on either file. Listen closely for the slight arrythmia at second 6.

Awesome! Your baby sounds like a helicoptor Deep Cowboy! :) Congrats!

If you're a texas resident applying to texas medschools, what kind of Gpa and MCAT scores would be considered competitive?