Dental School Ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EHA DDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where one could find information on dental school rankings? (clinical, teaching, etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

There are no rankings for dental schools, do a search. As for you, NYU should be number one, and that's all that matters ;)

i second that.....you should definately do a search on that and see what you come up with ;) most likely, you'll come up with really pissed off people answering the same question over and over again...there are no rankings..:)

best of luck...:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Zurik5 said:
There are no rankings for dental schools, do a search. As for you, NYU should be number one, and that's all that matters ;)

there are no dental school rankings?

thats the 1st time of have heard that. :laugh: :laugh:

just kidding.

I swear to god if I see another list of schools on here spouted off by some pre-dent with Harvard at the top I'm going to puke.

Not that I want you to puke or anything, but Harvard is at the top of my list! :D

Bcat said:
Not that I want you to puke or anything, but Harvard is at the top of my list! :D

Masshole :cool:

Dont worry, you are going to NYU like me, it has a good name and teaching in Dental Schools is always in demand. :D

Harvard is 5 years, maybe that's why ppl think it's better...NY'u is pretty good clinically...almost a quarter of a million patients

Harvard is 5 years????? Are you sure?

toothcaries said:
ohio state was #1 in 2002.

in what? clinical, research? where'd u get your info?

Members don't see this ad :)
EHA DDS said:
in what? clinical, research? where'd u get your info?

He meant in Football EHA DDS. They were 14-0. Yeah in football Ohio State was most definitely #1 in 2002!

Like I've said before....DON'T listen to what people say about schools they don't attend. Harvard is a 4 year school!! Check your facts before you post.

Bcat said:
Like I've said before....DON'T listen to what people say about schools they don't attend. Harvard is a 4 year school!! Check your facts before you post.

Thats what I thought. This eha guy has MANY of his facts messed up. ie the DMD/DDS thing

EHA DDS said:
Harvard is 5 years, maybe that's why ppl think it's better...NY'u is pretty good clinically...almost a quarter of a million patients

Please avoid posting inaccurate info. so many students depend on information garnered through the forum, Harvard abandoned the Five year program that requred a year of policy nearly 20 years ago. They have a 4 year PBL system that has the fist 2 years in collab with their med school counterparts. Like most dental schools utilizing this system the dents cover as much as the meds and also take a few extra classes. Harvard has a small class size of 35 per year and has for numerous years been ranked first in NBDE 1, this is not the case with NBDE 2.

Are you sure Harvard is number one? Last I heard U Conn was number one when it came to NBDE scores (#1 on NBDE II, and #2 on NBDE I in 2003). Harvard is just a name when it comes to dentistry, no offense. Harvard likes to teach students who want to teach later, they are awesome for that, but the clinical isn't better than other programs necessarily. In other words, you might be smarter coming from Harvard, but that doesn't mean you will be better clinically. If you want a good school, look for one that provides what you are looking for. Personally I didn't go to my NYU interview when I learned how huge the class was. I also didn't choose Michigan (even though they accepted me) because it was just too dang cold for me for four years. If you want to do general dentistry, you go to a school with a good clinical reputation and a large patient pool. If you want to specialize, go to a school with a big name such as U Penn, U Conn, Harvard, ect... This info comes from talking with people who have attended many of these schools and from research on how many people specialize from each school (U Penn is incredible for their ability to get students into specialty programs).

Harvard is a top name in many areas, especially law and medicine, where the respective schools are constantly ranked #1 or #2. Such is NOT the case in dentistry. While Harvard dental school will still afford a good education, the facilities are grossly outdated and underfunded when compared to many other schools around the nation.

Solid and superior board scores can be obtained by any student from any school in the nation, regardless of what school they attend.

My comments were not meant to culture a ranking war, naturally most students would be inclined to rank their dental school a first my post mentioned two documented facts
1. Harvard has a 4 year program
2. Harvard has "consistently" ranked first in NBDE 1 results , and yes this does not extrapolate to a #1 rank by whatever hypothetical system you may choose to utilize. I also went far in pointing out that Harvard does not rank #1 in NBDE II which tests clinical skills. Although a great school it was not my intention to catapault harvard up a phantom ranking system

I got my Harvard fact from "Barron's Guide to Medical and Dental Schools"....they mentioned that Harvard was 5 years, Pacific was 3 and the rest were 4. The book is from 2003.

UNLV is now the #1 school.

Its his opinion! Whatever school you go to should be the #1 school to you, if not I feel sorry for you.

In that case, NYUCD ranked #1 in the 2004 EHA DDS Dental School Survey :)

templedentist said:
If you want to specialize, go to a school with a big name such as U Penn, U Conn, Harvard, ect... This info comes from talking with people who have attended many of these schools and from research on how many people specialize from each school (U Penn is incredible for their ability to get students into specialty programs).

Too bad the stats dont correlate to the things that you've heard. According to UPenn's website, the only impressive specialty stat they have is in OMS....all other specialities are nothing impressive....same with all the other "big" name schools....going to a big name school to specialize is just a myth like all dentists committing suicide....

However, I would have to disagree with Gavin on Harvard....Harvard is the exception to what Ive stated above...although Harvard might be all about name, dont they have like a 100% specialty matching rate? Even if its a name, thats pretty damn impressive.

Haha..nice...

By the way, when I went to interview at Temple the recruiting guy was like a slick businessman trying to sell me a used car. And in the literature they gave out, they were advertising how if you go to Templel you can work as soon as you graduate and basically be rich...it was a bit tacky (but the 10% annual income increase did kind of make me feel good, I'll admit).

EHA DDS said:
Haha..nice...

By the way, when I went to interview at Temple the recruiting guy was like a slick businessman trying to sell me a used car. And in the literature they gave out, they were advertising how if you go to Templel you can work as soon as you graduate and basically be rich...it was a bit tacky (but the 10% annual income increase did kind of make me feel good, I'll admit).

Well, I went to 5 interviews, and I hate to tell you, they were all like slick businessmen trying to sell a used car....sorry, but its true....and when they were telling you that you could work as soon as you graduate from Temple, why wouldnt you believe that?

and not to bash you cause you are going to NYU, but I said this right after my NYU interview on these forums, that Amy Knowles is probably the fakest person I have ever met....she reminds me of the corporate woman they always make fun of on the Simpsons....

"sorry can't cry, botched facelift"......HAHHA....you know the one Im talking about, right?

Hey, i am not dissing Temple...it's just the impression I got. And you know what, I am not naive, but I think Amy Knowles really IS like that. At first we were all like "is she for real?"...but after many phone calls/e-mails, I think she is sincere. Anyway, maybe we should be flattered that they are trying so hard to get us...they want the best at their schools.

Amy Knowles is ridiculously happy... to the point that it's unhealthy. I don't think ANYONE can "really be like that". I completely agree with Templedentist and that wonderful Simpson's reference!

Tennisgirl said:
Amy Knowles is ridiculously happy... to the point that it's unhealthy. I don't think ANYONE can "really be like that". I completely agree with Templedentist and that wonderful Simpson's reference!

hey!!! that was my simpsons reference....cmon, credit given where due, please! :D

I apologize from the bottom of my heart not giving you credit for the WONDERFUL Simpson's reference. It's soo right, and she is sooo strange, it still blows my mind. I don't remember too much about my interview or the tour or anything, but she sticks out like a sore thumb in my memories. Haha :) So once again, so sorry Dr. Badvibes