Anesthesiology (or any) residency from a pass/fail & rank-less dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thelazyvaca

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I am about to attend a dental school that uses P/F in addition to being rank-less. I understand it is early to think about this, but what is the process with matching into a program without those two metrics? Is taking the ADAT a must for schools like that?

I am super interested in the anesthesia residencies, so if anybody knows anything specific to that, I would love to hear!

Thanks!

edit: I can not find a lot of detailed threads, so please excuse my ignorance! Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

research, extracurriculars, LORs etc.

kind of like anything else. Anyways don’t worry too much about it right now. You can ask for 4th years who matched what they did to stand out. Also if your school has home residencies you can ask them what you can do.

if you want to do anesthesia expect to do a GPR beforehand

Reactions: 1 users
research, extracurriculars, LORs etc.

kind of like anything else. Anyways don’t worry too much about it right now. You can ask for 4th years who matched what they did to stand out. Also if your school has home residencies you can ask them what you can do.

if you want to do anesthesia expect to do a GPR beforehand
Thank you for the advice! Are GPR's quite common for that residency or something? Sort of like an intern year I am assuming?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely don’t have to do a GPR for Dental Anesthesia. The 3 people I know who got in last year did not do a GPR.

Definitely don’t have to do a GPR for Dental Anesthesia. The 3 people I know who got in last year did not do a GPR.
were they new grads?

must just be my experience, I've seen everyone who got in to DA do one.

But I have also seen that for all the endo residents who have not practiced

I think the GPR just adds value to show commitment to post graduate studies and exposure in a hospital setting. I think there’s not much else you can do to show that. The Indiana dental anesthesia “fellowship” was the only post graduate opportunity that made sense for anesthesia applicants. Unfortunately that program is done after this year.

With only 28 spots in the country any edge counts.