Curriculum Vitae

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnDO

MS III
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
AZCOM and CCOM request one, but I've never written one.

Basically they're looking for employment, education, college ECs/leadership, community ECs/leadership, clinical experience, and hobbies.

Am I suppose to describe each thing I list right under it:

COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES AND LEADERSHIP
1997-2002 Church of the Lost and Found, Youth Leadership Team
blah blah description

Or is it:

1997-2002 Church of the Lost and Found, Youth Leadership Team

Also, do clubs I'm active in constitute "College ECs"?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I remember correctly, I think you can make it in resume format too. So if you have a resume, you could tweak it to include all the other stuff that they want which you don't have.

I made one for AZCOM too. If you open up Microsoft word, they usually have good templates for CVs and resumes.

Thanks Dr. Mom,
But most of us probably don't have much to put in those categories (I wish I was waiting on publications and teaching at the hospital :D but not quite yet!)
Thanks for the template!!

No, you only use the categories that fit. That template is just really complete. ;)

BTW: it is a good idea to have a CV that you update regularly, even during med school. When you're a physician being credentialed (kinda like a background check...done whenever you join a clinic to practice, ask for privileges at a hospital, make a contract with an insurance company...and all of this is re-done on a smaller scale regularly--usually every 2 years) you'll have to account for all of your time & accomplishments from the day you start med school. If you have a CV that is up-to-date, then it's pretty easy to add things on as they apply.

Just do what I did if you're not sure -- steal someone else's and use it as a template. :D

I'm sure you have a few professors at your college who have their CV's online.

I just used CCOM's letter of what they want it to include as a template:

EDUCATION
EMPLOYMENT
COLLEGE EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
COLLEGE LEADERSHIP RESPONSIBILITIES
COLLEGE HONORS/AWARDS
CLINICAL EXPERIENCE
HOBBIES AND INTERESTS

JohnDO said:
I just used CCOM's letter of what they want it to include as a template:

EDUCATION
EMPLOYMENT
COLLEGE EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
COLLEGE LEADERSHIP RESPONSIBILITIES
COLLEGE HONORS/AWARDS
CLINICAL EXPERIENCE
HOBBIES AND INTERESTS

yeah that seems to work better. i wasnt sure if i should include a mission statement in mine cuz i was going to say, "I want to be a bad ass ninja" but people might take that the wrong way.

Is there a specific length that the curriculum vitae should be? I had someone tell me that it was supposed to be on 2 pages, and I was wondering if this is accurate at all.

It depends on what you're using it for. For most purposes 1-2 pgs is ideal. It's probably a good idea to keep 2 CVs going...a 1-2 pager with all the most impt info & a longer one with absolutely everything on it.

I've seen CVs of research Drs that are over 100 pgs long, but that's just ridiculous. :rolleyes:

I am working on one specifically to submit to AZCOM...I was looking for an appropriate length for that one.