What's the deal with Cornell?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How soon after AMCAS did you get their secondary; and how about interviews after being completed?

Members don't see this ad.

I got their secondary less than a week after my AMCAS went in. I submitted my secondary and LORs sometime during the middle of August. I read somewhere that they would let us know once we were complete, but I haven't heard anything.

Cornell is being one wench of school. There's no love for their applicants, not even their undergrads. Anyway, I received the secondary in late June, submitted in late July, and they confirmed that my file was complete by email a few weeks ago. It looks like they just sent out the first invites to interview today by email, so hold on to your butts, here they come.

Members don't see this ad :)
Psycho Doctor said:
How soon after AMCAS did you get their secondary; and how about interviews after being completed?

i don't think you are cornell material......just being honest here

Active: 8/24, processed: 9/1, secondary: 9/8.

I sent in my secondary and LORs (received 7/19) and got the complete email 7/22. I got an interview invite today :)

Treg

firebody said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: hmmm..if only you knew how funny that comment is. When i decide to give up my anonymity, i'll let you in on a little secret. :D

and by the way i did a search on your previous posts and found in every instance you were causing trouble. If you'd like to be a member of this community perhaps you can look to contribute in more beneficial ways.

Psycho Doctor said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: hmmm..if only you knew how funny that comment is. When i decide to give up my anonymity, i'll let you in on a little secret. :D

ohhh.... Psycho Doc has a secret :) How long are you going to keep us in suspense?

Congrats on the interview invite Treg! Hmm... so it looks like it takes them over a month to review files. At least I won't be seeing a rejection letter anytime soon :laugh:

firebody said:
That's uncalled for :thumbdown:

Treg said:
I sent in my secondary and LORs (received 7/19) and got the complete email 7/22. I got an interview invite today :)

Treg

awesome!! congrats!!
care to list your stats?

tinkerbelle said:
Congrats on the interview invite Treg! Hmm... so it looks like it takes them over a month to review files. At least I won't be seeing a rejection letter anytime soon :laugh:

Yeah, last year they didn't reject me until christmas time.

For anyone who is wondering my stats, click the link in my signature.

:)

Treg

Members don't see this ad :)
Treg said:
Yeah, last year they didn't reject me until christmas time.

Treg

Great. What a wonderful Christmas present.... How nice of them :rolleyes:

secondary received 7/9, submitted 8/12, complete 8/23, email interview invite 9/13....hang in there!

bidster said:
secondary received 7/9, submitted 8/12, complete 8/23, email interview invite 9/13....hang in there!

congrats.
is anyone else getting nervous having not gotten cornell (and many others)...
i am compulsively checking email now!

Can you please post your stats>???

GPA/MCAT/Major..

Thanks!! :luck:

firebody said:

Hey, me and the ol' PD don't see eye-to-eye on, well, anything, but the dude is pretty smart. He was getting 36's on practice tests. So back the **** up off him, yo.

stinkycheese said:
Hey, me and the ol' PD don't see eye-to-eye on, well, anything, but the dude is pretty smart. He was getting 36's on practice tests. So back the **** up off him, yo.

wow, that's the nicest thing you ever said about me..thanks!! :)

hey psycho doc did u get that log out thing cleared out?

DoctorMalki said:
hey psycho doc did u get that log out thing cleared out?

nope but Dr Mom is working on it...i have faith that she'll resolve it :love:

Psycho Doctor said:
wow, that's the nicest thing you ever said about me..thanks!! :)

I'm a bitch, but I'm a pretty fair bitch. You're all right, dude.

stinkycheese said:
I'm a bitch, but I'm a pretty fair bitch. You're all right, dude.

:laugh: :laugh: i'm not sure how to respond to that; you sorta left me speechless

Psycho Doctor said:
:laugh: :laugh: i'm not sure how to respond to that; you sorta left me speechless

Heh. I am tough. But once I know that someone has good intentions, I eventually come around. You know, kid, this could be the beginning of a beeyooootiful friendship.

stinkycheese said:
Heh. I am tough. But once I know that someone has good intentions, I eventually come around. You know, kid, this could be the beginning of a beeyooootiful friendship.

:laugh: :laugh:

:love: :love:

stinkycheese said:

i have a feeling there are going to be a lot of interviewers like you.

constructor said:

i'm sure you are right :eek:

constructor said:

Put on your poker faces, kids.

Psycho Doctor said:

and by the way i did a search on your previous posts and found in every instance you were causing trouble. If you'd like to be a member of this community perhaps you can look to contribute in more beneficial ways.

Psycho, when you put it like that, there's only so much it could be. I don't think I'm giving anything away if I speculate like others are sure to...

Hmmm... Psycho finds it incredibly funny to be told he's not Cornell material. Maybe he's doing his undergrad there, that would be funny! :laugh: :laugh:

If not that, then maybe he's going to a school considered even better than Cornell, which narrows it down some. That would be funny, too (although less funny, I think). :laugh:

Anyway, enough musings. :thumbup:

MoosePilot said:
Psycho, when you put it like that, there's only so much it could be. I don't think I'm giving anything away if I speculate like others are sure to...

Hmmm... Psycho finds it incredibly funny to be told he's not Cornell material. Maybe he's doing his undergrad there, that would be funny! :laugh: :laugh:

If not that, then maybe he's going to a school considered even better than Cornell, which narrows it down some. That would be funny, too (although less funny, I think). :laugh:

Anyway, enough musings. :thumbup:

ok let's leave the speculation out of this. I WILL remain anonymous! :D

Or maybe's he's in high school and has never taken the MCAT, or maybe he's a middle aged woman who's career has nothing to do with health

who knows, heh

Not to randomly resurrect this thread, but what IS the deal with Cornell? They seem to be handing out like one interview per week. I've been complete for a couple months now...

firebody said:

Hey now. There's nothing elitist about Cornell. Take it somewhere else.

I can't be sure, but just to guess from what firebody was referring to, I would guess his assumption that you are not cornell med material would be judging from the amount of useless posts you were infamous for between your MCAT test and score release. I would imagine that someone with aspirations of attending a top 10 (or 11)school such as cornell should have their act together a little more than to freak out as you seemed to be doing for months on end. That is especially true if you were expecting to score in the mid 30's, so you screw up and score what, a 31? Get what saying?

I would like to think any future doctor attending or hoping to attend a high caliber school is not the type of person who needlessly looses their cool. Being a doctor is all about remaining calm and graceful under intense pressure.

YzIa said:
I can't be sure, but just to guess from what firebody was referring to, I would guess his assumption that you are not cornell med material would be judging from the amount of useless posts you were infamous for between your MCAT test and score release. I would imagine that someone with aspirations of attending a top 10 (or 11)school such as cornell should have their act together a little more than to freak out as you seemed to be doing for months on end. That is especially true if you were expecting to score in the mid 30's, so you screw up and score what, a 31? Get what saying?

I would like to think any future doctor attending or hoping to attend a high caliber school is not the type of person who needlessly looses their cool. Being a doctor is all about remaining calm and graceful under intense pressure.

what? i believe you have me all wrong. reread my posts; i wa snot even around right after the MCAT; then expressed my opinions for about 2 days and then did not discuss it again until just before scores were due out. Who said i was expecting a score in the mid 30s? and I did not get a 31 + or - a few points. So no i don't get what you are trying to say....

success is a journey..i'm not there yet and neither are you; we both have a lot to learn until we get our MDs; i intend to work at my weaknesses..are you planning on working on yours? :rolleyes: then fine, we both have the potential of becoming terrific doctors.

Psycho Doctor said:
what? i believe you have me all wrong. reread my posts; i wa snot even around right after the MCAT; then expressed my opinions for about 2 days and then did not discuss it again until just before scores were due out. Who said i was expecting a score in the mid 30s? and I did not get a 31 + or - a few points. So no i don't get what you are trying to say....

success is a journey..i'm not there yet and neither are you; we both have a lot to learn until we get our MDs; i intend to work at my weaknesses..are you planning on working on yours? :rolleyes: then fine, we both have the potential of becoming terrific doctors.

psycho, i don't mean to rat you out or anything but aren't you at cornell as an undergrad? that was my understanding from reading your posts.
good luck with your apps!! you will get in somewhere :) and when you do, please tell us about it!!!

wendywellesley said:
psycho, i don't mean to rat you out or anything but aren't you at cornell as an undergrad? that was my understanding from reading your posts.
good luck with your apps!! you will get in somewhere :) and when you do, please tell us about it!!!

well if i was, then firebody should not be saying i'm not Cornell caliber...therefore i guess i couldn't possibly go there. :rolleyes:

and thanks

You're at MIT, right, Psycho? ;)

Psycho Doctor said:

Psycho, buddy... if you're not going to say what you got, don't respond to the people that criticize you for the scores they assume you got. It seems deceptive to say you didn't get 31 +/- a few points, when I'm assuming you got significantly higher.

As far as whether you expected mid 30s, you might not have, but I did based on your practice tests. I think you were getting mid 30s on those, from which I always assumed you'd get the same on the actual (incidentally, I'd say mid 30s include about 33 to 37. High 30s would be 38,39. 40s are their own world...

Again, not trying to be critical, but since you don't want to talk about your scores, just blow this guy off. He doesn't know you and it's not worth your time.

BTW, most of psycho's posts were in the lead up to his MCAT. He really didn't post nearly as much between the test and score release.

Not that I am hell-bent on steering this thread back to the OP's question or anything, but anyone have any idea as to why Cornell isn't handing out interview invites as frequently as other schools?

MoosePilot said:
BTW, most of psycho's posts were in the lead up to his MCAT. He really didn't post nearly as much between the test and score release.

I stand corrected, change that to the posts leading up to the MCAT. Otherwise I stand by my statement of why I believe Firebody has that opinion of you. Then again, speaking for someone else only leads to trouble, and I don't want to be a troublemaker ;)

KNightInBlue said:
Not that I am hell-bent on steering this thread back to the OP's question or anything, but anyone have any idea as to why Cornell isn't handing out interview invites as frequently as other schools?
Yeah, I probably should have started a new thread on the same topic, to get fresh responses. :( I'm coming to the conclusion that Cornell is just very very slow... or about to reject me. :laugh: