How dressy does everyone get for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JawBreakerGTP

Bionic Mouth Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm am trying to decide whether or not to wear a suit. I'm not sure if its common for dental students to wear a nice suit or will dress pants, shirt, tie and sweater (or not) cut it.

Members don't see this ad.

JawBreakerGTP said:
I'm am trying to decide whether or not to wear a suit. I'm not sure if its common for dental students to wear a nice suit or will dress pants, shirt, tie and sweater (or not) cut it.

"You will need to dress in a conservative, professional style. That means a suit for men, and a dress suit for women. "

I have also heard that if you didn't want to do the suit, you could wear slacks, dress shirt, tie and a sports jacket... but might as well be wearing a suit...

I usually wear the slacks, shirt, and tie. But, I throw in a twist. I go with a white fur coat and a jazz/blues hat.

Seriously, you should wear a suit jawbreaker. I think it would be better.

Members don't see this ad :)
JawBreakerGTP said:
Very. This is a professional situation, and equates to a job interview. Wear a suit.

Definitely go with the suit - you'll probably feel out of place or underdressed if you don't. In Maryland on Tuesday, every guy was dressed in a suit.

I walked into the interview conference room, saw people dressed in nice suits, and then one dude with a dress shirt and pants, he stuck out like a sour thumb, A TACKY SOUR THUMB . Even dental students pointed out to me as well, why is this dude at interview not wearing a suit. Professionalism all the way. Go get your self a suit.

HD

Don't just wear any suit. One guy at one of my interviews was wearing looked like a cast member of 'Reservoir Dogs.' You don't want to look like a gangster at this important step in the admissions process!

but as a female do you have to buy a suit, you know the girl kind? they are not my favorite!!

denty said:
but as a female do you have to buy a suit, you know the girl kind? they are not my favorite!!

I know at my Arizona interview there was a girl who wore a skirt. We had some down time together and she confessed that she regretted her choice of attire as the skirt kept riding up. I think she was going to go to her next one in a nice pant suit instead. I don't think skirts are inappropriate at all (of course if they are tasteful). Presenting a professional image to the adcoms is the most important thing. If you feel more comfortable in a skirt then wear one. :)

Shave, get your hair cut and WEAR A SUIT. Dentistry is an ultra-conservative profession and most of your interviewers will be old fogeys. They are not going to be impressed by anything faddish or "cool". You want to look like those Mormon missionaries who come knocking on your door.

Girls have a little more leeway; just make it look professional. I personally think girls look more professional in a skirt and a nice blouse than a pantsuit, and I would imagine most older dentists - the people who will be interviewing you - will see it that way, too. You'll just have to decide that for yourselves, ladies. :D

Dr.SpongeBobDDS said:
They are not going to be impressed by anything faddish or "cool". You want to look like those Mormon missionaries who come knocking on your door.

Heh, since half your interview group will likely BE former Mormon missionaries :D

But SpongeBob brings up excellent points. Don't lose your personalities and what makes you unique, but don't be drastic or annoying. It's a fine line to walk.

Members don't see this ad :)
hockeydentist said:
I walked into the interview conference room, saw people dressed in nice suits, and then one dude with a dress shirt and pants, he stuck out like a sour thumb, A TACKY SOUR THUMB . Even dental students pointed out to me as well, why is this dude at interview not wearing a suit. Professionalism all the way. Go get your self a suit.

HD
I think I know the guy you're talking about. The dental students really commented on it to you? That's hilarious -- poor guy! I would have hated to be him!

ItsGavinC said:
Heh, since half your interview group will likely BE former Mormon missionaries :D

:laugh:

I wouldn't have thought that possible until I spent time sitting in on admission interviews last year. Yowza, Gavin, you Mormons must multiply like rabbits out west!

Definately wear a suit. Also, take out your ear and nose rings if you're a dude. Or a chick for that matter. It's makes them wonder what else you've pierced. These are old-school faculty you are interviewing with. Pretend it's your grandparents you're interviewing with.

Sprgrover said:
I know at my Arizona interview there was a girl who wore a skirt. We had some down time together and she confessed that she regretted her choice of attire as the skirt kept riding up. I think she was going to go to her next one in a nice pant suit instead. I don't think skirts are inappropriate at all (of course if they are tasteful). Presenting a professional image to the adcoms is the most important thing. If you feel more comfortable in a skirt then wear one. :)

For the ladys: ;)

I wore a long dress with matching jacket to my AZ interview. And I think I stood out because half of my group were Mormon's from UT all in DARK suites. So my light lavendar (very classy dress) was a contrast from all that black and navy blue. There was one young man who wore a tan suit. But out of the 7 of us that day (hey, I think I saw Gavin walk by too, Dr. S pointed him out.) the look was very professional and boderline funeral looking.

I did not wear all my earing's (the older generation has an issue with to many piercing's, once you get in though, if that is you, then you should be yourself. The key here is to GET in!)

I wore dress pant's with stripes and bright red blouse to Penn interview. I looked like I would applying for a hygiene postion back home. Same deal there as well. Lot's of blue/black (even on the female's) with a couple of the international student's wearing white blouses. (16 people on that one.) So again I didn't look like a cookie cutter, but I did look professional. I think that is the ticket. Look good, be yourself, and try not too look to much like everyone else because you have to be accepted on what you have to offer.

I was wondering that same thing. I went out and got a red long skirt suit because my mom made me (and she paid for it ...) HA HA. But I was wondering if I should have gotten a different one...like grey or black because I was not for certain if the red would make me look unprofessional. Do you think a red suit is okay? TIA.

ATX04UT said:
I was wondering that same thing. I went out and got a red long skirt suit because my mom made me (and she paid for it ...) HA HA. But I was wondering if I should have gotten a different one...like grey or black because I was not for certain if the red would make me look unprofessional. Do you think a red suit is okay? TIA.

I think we should have a thread devoted entirely to pictures of all the hot women... ummm... posters yes, posters in their interview attire and we can all provide thoughtful critique. :)

Dr.SpongeBobDDS said:
I think we should have a thread devoted entirely to pictures of all the hot women... ummm... posters yes, posters in their interview attire and we can all provide thoughtful critique. :)

I am laughing so hard right now I can't type. :D

And about the red skirt, if it flatter's you and you look like you could apply to a business environment position. Wear it! You need to be noticed because like I have said in so many post to date, you are applying with people who are mainly men and everyone is qualified to be there. So making yourself stand apart in a positive way is good!

a ******* came to my school for interview and right after the interview he changed into a baseball cap and jeans on the hallway. then they went on a tour around the school. LOL
he dressed like a high schooler, and probably acts like one, no matter how he got a 27 on DAT. he looks pretty arrogant anyway.
clinical faculty saw him that day, made sure that his file gonna be "carefully reviewed" again before Dec. 1st.

Darksunshine said:
you are applying with people who are mainly men

That doesn't seem to be the trend anymore these days. At the last DS I went to, the dean couldn't stop talking about how more women now enter dentistry than men.

HA HA I am so laughing right now too! Thanks for the advice Darksunshine. I am happy that more of us want to enter the field! HURRAY!

DMD_hopeful said:
That doesn't seem to be the trend anymore these days. At the last DS I went to, the dean couldn't stop talking about how more women now enter dentistry than men.

Well I can tell you about the interview situation's I have been in and you can look up the stat's. Most school's (80%) have a pre-dominantly male class. Female are NO where near half of all applicant's admitted into dental school. Hopefully they will be. I believe the dean is commenting on the recent trend (past several year's) that more and more women are applying AND getting in. The only school I applied to last year:
Stats from their school: Twice the number or men admitted as women. Easily 2:1
A little testimonial evidence now:
AZ interview: I was the only female out of 7 men.
U of Penn Interview: 4 women and 12 men.

You shouldn't be offend by the facts. Dentistry has been a primarily Male occupation. Just like the field I have practiced in was primarily Female. This is reality not prejudice. More and more women are believing they can become Dr.'s, and it is great more are get accepted. But don't fool yourself into thinking that it is 50/50 yet. Although I do think some school's are trying to make a more balanced class, trend's don't make what you said true.

Maryland interview: 7 women, 5 men
Nova interview: 5 women, 1 man

My experience is that women to men is about 1 to 1 in dental schools.

I wore a very nice, professional and also stylish black pants suit with a white silk blouse and very high pointed-toe black suede stiletto shoes. :cool:

What about bringing some sort of folder/binder to hold papers and pencils? Anyone know of any good ones to get?

Darksunshine said:
Well I can tell you about the interview situation's I have been in and you can look up the stat's. Most school's (80%) have a pre-dominantly male class. Female are NO where near half of all applicant's admitted into dental school. Hopefully they will be. I believe the dean is commenting on the recent trend (past several year's) that more and more women are applying AND getting in. The only school I applied to last year:
Stats from their school: Twice the number or men admitted as women. Easily 2:1
A little testimonial evidence now:
AZ interview: I was the only female out of 7 men.
U of Penn Interview: 4 women and 12 men.

You shouldn't be offend by the facts. Dentistry has been a primarily Male occupation. Just like the field I have practiced in was primarily Female. This is reality not prejudice. More and more women are believing they can become Dr.'s, and it is great more are get accepted. But don't fool yourself into thinking that it is 50/50 yet. Although I do think some school's are trying to make a more balanced class, trend's don't make what you said true.

I am not offended. I would love to see more women enter dentistry as I feel it is a wonderful career. However, here are some facts that I picked up on some of the schools' websites.

From U Maryland:
The entering fall 2002 predoctoral class has a mean grade point average of 3.37. Of these, 42 percent are female;

NYU:
Applicants total 2,040, Male 1,045 and Female 995

UPenn:

From ADA website
Female students represented 44.0% of the 2002/03 first-year class, compared to 36.7% during the 1993/94 school year

Also, the last interview I was on consisted of 7 women and 3 men.

JesseBrad3 said:
What about bringing some sort of folder/binder to hold papers and pencils? Anyone know of any good ones to get?

trypmo said:
Also you can get professional-looking "pad-folio" folders that hold a letter-size note pad on one side and usually have a pocket on the facing side, are solid like a hardcover book so you can write on your lap or whatever, and the cover material is smooth vinyl, usually black or another toned-down professional color - some are fancy (leather, with extra compartments, with a zipper along the side, etc.) but a decent one can be had for under $10. It seems pretty common for ppl to carry them around on interview days: one guy who didn't bring one even asked the rest of the group if the school gave them out to us and he missed it. :D You can choose from a wide selection at office supply stores, but I've even found them in the school supplies aisle at a pharmacy.

Got the above quote from this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=151605&highlight=interview

DMD_hopeful said:
I am not offended. I would love to see more women enter dentistry as I feel it is a wonderful career. However, here are some facts that I picked up on some of the schools' websites.

From U Maryland:
The entering fall 2002 predoctoral class has a mean grade point average of 3.37. Of these, 42 percent are female;

NYU:
Applicants total 2,040, Male 1,045 and Female 995

UPenn:

From ADA website
Female students represented 44.0% of the 2002/03 first-year class, compared to 36.7% during the 1993/94 school year

Also, the last interview I was on consisted of 7 women and 3 men.

Javidi mentioned a simaliar high female interview class for Maryland. That is really cool. I can only tell you what I have seen and there aren't that many school's (Considering the large number of dental school's.) that are at the 50/50 ratio. Also, being a hygienist for 6 year's, female dentist's to work for and at professional function's like CE credit's and national session are definetly in the minority.

I had a different experience at OSU, I think it's because they interviewed a lot of applicants from Utah and Idaho (which don't traditionally produce many female applicants). I saw one girl in my group of 30 applicants at OSU.

quakinator said:
I had a different experience at OSU, I think it's because they interviewed a lot of applicants from Utah and Idaho (which don't traditionally produce many female applicants). I saw one girl in my group of 30 applicants at OSU.

OSU is Ohio? Right? Not OHSU, which is OR. I was born in ID lived there most of my life. I lived in UT for a short time, and have spent the rest of it here in OR. But the dental hygiene program I graduated from is in ID.

I know this is a bit insignificant, but how should a shirt be worn underneath a suit? Especially for ladies.

63119_WT0002_HOL04_m.jpg
br259423-00v.jpg

Just a blouse.

66108_WC1642_HOL04_m.jpg

Collar tucked in.

br5979218v.jpg

Collar flipped out.

Thanks.

I love the white suit! But white and I are a bad combo. (Kids, dog, husband, and me hahaha.)

Nice pictures though. I think they are good.

Personally, I think that a collared shirt beneath a pant suit jacket looks more professional on a female than the tee or bowed top (like the one in the upper left picture).