Any Programs paying for anything?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Uncle Rico

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you had a program offer to pick up the cost of hotel/meals yet? My friends that are applying in Anesthesia seem to think that this is the norm. How sweet if it were?

I just wanted to to see what you were hearing........maybe I just applied to all of the wrong progams.

Quinn DID say that he would show me a good time when I came to Tampa, but I don't really know what he meant.

Members don't see this ad.

(You're up to date on all your shots, right?)

3/10 programs I have received interviews from have offered to pay for a hotel the night before. It definitely helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo puts you up in a hotel

Short Bus said:
3/10 programs I have received interviews from have offered to pay for a hotel the night before. It definitely helps.

Short Bus said:

Which programs?

SUNY Downstate - Kings County is the only program of the 13 i've been invited to that has offered to pay for accomodation.

scott and white in Temple,tx is puttting us up at the holiday inn.

Last year - Wright State, Kalamazoo, Mayo, and Akron General all paid for hotel and dinner the night before. AG has been known in the past for good gifts (last year it was a nice bag). Kalamazoo has a gift bag of local products. I know there were others, but I can't remember.

- H

I've gotten offers for accomodations and dinner the night before from:

Akron General

St Vincent-Mercy

York

I'm looking forward to my gift from Akron.

Uncle Rico said:
My friends that are applying in Anesthesia seem to think that this is the norm.

It IS pretty much the norm, especially for folks coming in from WAY out of town. I remember one place even paid for part of the flight to come out there. But that is no guarantee of how the program will be in the future. They are trying to sell a product and they know they have fierce competition. Just keep that in mind. Of course the flip side is the [unnamed] hospital that had several programs with the same attitude: not only didn't they give the group waiting for the interviews lunch or coffee they expected you to wait six or seven hours in the waiting area, without a break to go get food. So what if they are the highest paid residencies in the US if they treat their housestaff like so many indentured servants? The interviews were a real eye-opener. And it is to my understanding that nothing has changed since I learned of the place.

Caveat emptor,

Nu

suny-brooklyn is the only one i have that pays for anything... i also was talking to an anesthesia friend recently and he said nearly all of his paid for hotels. he was pretty surprised to hear that EM programs didn't - it does seem weird since anesthesia is also a competitive specialty. wouldn't think they'd have trouble w/ applicants....?

AMBinNC said:
suny-brooklyn is the only one i have that pays for anything... i also was talking to an anesthesia friend recently and he said nearly all of his paid for hotels. he was pretty surprised to hear that EM programs didn't - it does seem weird since anesthesia is also a competitive specialty. wouldn't think they'd have trouble w/ applicants....?

I will be interviewing at SUNY Brooklyn too. Do you know much about this program? Thanks!

It IS pretty much the norm, especially for folks coming in from WAY out of town.

I respectfully disagree, and maybe this is more of an East coast thing or something, but in discussions with friends last season it seemed that the more competitive a specialty (or program) is the less they offer in the way of freebies.

Members don't see this ad :)
York, Geisinger, St. Vincent's, Akron are the places off the top of my head that paid for hotel and/or dinner the night before.

My program, USF, has a few residents and/or attendings who are offering up their place to crash the night before the interview. Yes, my condo will be available for any interviewers. I gots the Xbox, Playstation 2, and Gamecube, not to mention a PC with Unreal Tournamnet 2003 if anyone is interested. :)

Q

QuinnNSU said:
York, Geisinger, St. Vincent's, Akron are the places off the top of my head that paid for hotel and/or dinner the night before.

My program, USF, has a few residents and/or attendings who are offering up their place to crash the night before the interview. Yes, my condo will be available for any interviewers. I gots the Xbox, Playstation 2, and Gamecube, not to mention a PC with Unreal Tournamnet 2003 if anyone is interested. :)

Q

But do you have that girl, QuinnNSU? You know, the girl who used to be your avatar back in the glory days of December '02? If you have her in the flesh, then I'll reapply for residency and come hang out at your place in Tampa.

(Too bad the Bucs suck again this year. Wish Dungy had never left.)

Hornet871 said:
But do you have that girl, QuinnNSU? You know, the girl who used to be your avatar back in the glory days of December '02? If you have her in the flesh, then I'll reapply for residency and come hang out at your place in Tampa.

(Too bad the Bucs suck again this year. Wish Dungy had never left.)

She's the background on my desktop. I also have her locked up in my closet in four point soft restraints. I'm waiting for her to turn 18...

Q

dchristismi said:
Also Peoria (U of IL) = hotel

Peoria puts you up in a nice hotel and takes you out for a nice dinner the night before.

When I interviewed there my plane leaving town that evening was cancelled due to weather. The PD offered to put me up for the night again and also invited me out to dinner again with the next day's candidates.

That was very kind and appreciated. I ranked them highly.

I would say at least half of the places I interviewed at took us out for nice dinners, wife included on the couple of interview trips she came along on.

Case Western takes you on a limo ride around the town after your interview.

Baton Rouge takes you to dinner, then to a strip club, gets you drunk, and then laid. On the way out they hand you a nice cigar, a bottle of Crown and a crisp new $100 bill.

That also happens to be where I'm in residency. No connection of course.

Not sure if it was mentioned -- but Maine Med pays for a hotel or bed and breakfast (your choice) the night before.

Rochester pays for hotel, too.

FoughtFyr said:
Not anymore, they use a van now. :mad:

- H

Hey, I thought the limo was a stupid idea. I thought it would be better to do the usual dinner the night before and they're doing that this year every Monday night.

The problem is that we interview T & W. We have conference on Weds. Therefore, the people that interview on Tuesdays typically meet just by chance less residents during the day and at the lunch. So, we're having a dinner on Monday nights to give those people a chance.

mike

st johns in detroit is putting us up at the holiday inn express

DUDE. The Ohio State interview had the BEST food.

Henry Ford provides a hotel room at the Detroit Marriott in the downtown Renaissance Center for the night before or night of your interview. They also have an optional complimentary dinner the night before. :thumbup:

Cincinnati is paying for two nights in hotel right by the hospital. I don't know if that's new this year or not. :thumbup:

UCSF is offering to pay half the cost of a hotel room.