question about Missouri-Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dalynn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to UMC and was absolutely appalled at the number (and type) of negative comments on the interview feedback. However, everything from this year so far has been pretty well positive (granted, there haven't been too many interviews yet...)
I was just wondering what y'all think about this school (especially those of you who have interviewed/attend UMC now). There are a lot of things that impress me, but I'm still concerned about the comments from previous years.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I cannot answer your post, but I share your concerns and I am seeking the same information. I am a MO resident and thus, have a 50% chance of being granted an interview. I will watch eagerly with you for replies from our fellow SDNers.

I go to UMC, and will matriculate there for med school. I think someone got ticked off last year and posted a whole bunch of bad comments by himself. None of the stuff he or she was saying in the interview feedback seems to be justified.

The school doesn't control what specialty you go into, nor did they ask me during interviews.

The hospital's financial problems are behind them. I work for the hospital. We've been having congratulatory events regarding our financial status.

Someone complained about the interviewer being mean. I don't know any mean physicians in the city of Columbia, let alone that are on the adcom. I could be wrong, but it seems suspicious considering the family nature of the town and school.

Someone else complained about how simple the interview experience was, and decided to post negative feedback because of it. The guy says in his feedback, "They make you feel right at home," and yet still posted this as a negative thing. I don't have anything else to say about this comment. Interviewing at mizzou is the picture of simplicity. You arrive, you get a tour, you talk to the financial aid guru, and you get two interviews with members of the adcom. That's it. No lunch or any other talks, lectures, etc.

Others seemed to be concerned with why they were asked about their love of Missouri. The school's a state school that wants to produce Missouri physicians. That's why the taxpayers are footing part of the bill. That's why it's virtually impossible for out of state residents to get in. The ones who DO get in are the ones who are from neighboring states in the most literal sense.

I love their curriculum. They have the happiest students I have ever seen. The hospital is a great place to work, very few malignant personalities, etc.

PM me for more, I'm out of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at mizzou a couple weeks ago and was having trouble comparing it to other schools I've been to... I know somewhat of their financial problems and their curriculum seems great... would you mind helping someoen struggling to differenciate between schools why you thought it was great?

-thanks to whoever replies-

ribbi_j

maybe it would be better to know who you're trying to compare it to. if you'd like to pm me or post on here, i can provide some advice probably.

dalynn said:
I applied to UMC and was absolutely appalled at the number (and type) of negative comments on the interview feedback. However, everything from this year so far has been pretty well positive (granted, there haven't been too many interviews yet...)
I was just wondering what y'all think about this school (especially those of you who have interviewed/attend UMC now). There are a lot of things that impress me, but I'm still concerned about the comments from previous years.

Thanks!

The best thing about UM-C is they have the shortest anatomy lab in the nation. In fact, its so short, University of Grenada offers more classroom hours in dissection....

JH

The financial trouble they were in was somewhat overblown by the media, at least so I heard. Also they have plans to build a new med school, according to a friend of mine who was on the adcom last year. And no it's NOT in Kansas City!!!

The only additional input I have is, as GutureEMSdoc has said, even if there were/are financial problems, they probably won't materialize in the curriculum.

The beauty of the school lies in the PBL curriculum. It is set up to be simple and effective. They encourage teamwork - sometimes at all costs. Two separate students stated that one is more likely to get a bad grade for not participating in the team than not knowing the material. You also get a decent amount of free time (as far as med schools go).

The amount of anatomy in the curriculum has varied enormously over the last few years. The trick is that each year's class has an enormous amount of feedback on how the curriculum will be run the following year. One recent class didn't have anatomy at all, and they recommended that at least a little be reinstated. The following class still didn't have much, and recommended more. The two first year students doing my tour said that this year they added a whole bunch of anatomy to be completed in the old timeframe. They were a little stressed about it, and recommended either increasing the amount of time in the lab or decreasing the amount of material. Who knows what will happen next year?

The weaknesses as I see them: This is not a high tech school. If you don't like working in small groups this curriculum would be a nightmare. Tuition is high for a state school. Columbia is an isolated town with a huge school in it - it can be hard to get away from the college. What nightlife there is is dominated by undergraduates. The weather can be described as varying degrees of miserable for at least half of the calendar year. The very beginning and very ending of the academic year are tolerable, but the middle is hell. For example, tomorrow's forcast is 37 degrees with 3-6 inches of snow.

Hey folks

Now what is this that i hear about financial troubles? Sorry to bring up old news but I am not from Missouri (Texas girl) and I was just accepted into UMissouri-Columbia. I guess I did not do my research but I have never heard of any past financial troubles...not that it really matters but.....what happened in the past?

Oh yeah, and since I am an outsider, what is there to do in Columbia?

dalynn said:

Thanks!

I didn't apply to MU but I think that I may know where some of the negative flack is coming from. I also attended MU for a couple of semesters as an undergrad before I returned to UMR. Transfering courses from MU to UMR did wonders for my GPA.

What I am about to say will probably cause a backlash, but here goes... I called and spoke with an admissions rep for MU. I told her my numbers and my major. She told me (without hesitation mind you) that since I was an engineering major and didn't have a 30 on my MCAT, there would be virtually no hope for me to get an interview. "Why?" I asked. I was told that biochemical engineering was an easy major. The lady had a rather snotty attitude. Maybe the individuals conducting the interviews had their own opinions of what an ideal candidate should be, maybe the person giving the feed back did not like the manner in which he was interviewed. All you see is what the person put down, not what is going on in their head. So I didn't put too much stock into the ratings, just the questions that were posted.

MU's med school is a good one. I know several doctors that went there and they are all fine practicioners of their art. One of them did an emergency C-section on my wife and everything went very smoothly. Going to med school there would not be a bad idea. It just depends on what you as an individual are looking for in a med school.

Hope that helped. Best of luck to you.

Anyone planning on attending MU School of Medicine for the fall 05?

Well, I will attend, if they accept me. :D What about you?

I interviewed on 1/11, loved the school and program! Still waiting to hear back. They gave us a memo that says status letters are sent out the third week of each month. This is the third week of Jan; no letter as of yet. I was accepted to an out of state school in Dec. and was planning to matriculate there, but my husband might get a big promotion in the next month, in which case we will not want to move. Every time I think things are falling into place and that I will FINALLY get to start med school, some complication like this occurs. Oh well, just another bump in the road. We'll figure something out.

Does anyone know whether this monthly letter notification system actually works as described? On which day of the third week each month are the letters mailed? Thanks for any info!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi again. Well, I received the anticipated letter today, via email, based upon today's adcom meeting. I'm pretty impressed by the school's professionalism and immediate notification. Rather than leave us hanging for months like many institutions, they provide post interview candidates with a monthly update on the good, bad & ugly. Unfortunately, my news is not good, but it's not ugly, either. I have been deemed to be an "acceptable candidate" and thus, have not been rejected (yet :rolleyes: ), but I will have to wait another month and hope I am accepted at that meeting. If the committee meets each month on the 3rd Thursday, then I should hear something on 2/17, which is one day before my 2nd deposit is due to school #1. And that is why we have credit cards and telephones, right? Apparently, all decisions are made by 3/15, with 96 acceptances issued and 96 candidates waitlisted.

Hope this information provides some insight to others on how the MU admissions process works.

They really do mail out acceptances during that third week like they say. Also, big envelope is good; small is not.

vr4nut said:
They really do mail out acceptances during that third week like they say. Also, big envelope is good; small is not.

Does this mean you were accepted? I have not received the ominus e-mail saying I wasn't accepted, but I also didn't get a letter in the mail yet. Any thoughts?

I went to Mizzou (obviously) and may go there for med. school as well. The students really are laid back and help each other out as much as possible. It is possible to get into a competitive specialty after going to Mizzou, but it is a little bit more difficult to get research experience etc. A great school for primary care and rural medicine.

iatrosB said:
Does this mean you were accepted? I have not received the ominus e-mail saying I wasn't accepted, but I also didn't get a letter in the mail yet. Any thoughts?

Nevermind! I got the letter in the mail today, they accepted me!! :thumbup: Now I have a decision to make though :confused: I have been accepted at MU and KCUMB (formerly UHS), but I don't know which one to choose. Oh, well, I guess this is a good possition to be in :)

iatrosB: Congratulations on your MU acceptance!!!

Good luck in your decision making process. I have also applied to MD and DO programs, so I may soon be in a similar situation, deciding between MU and CCOM. My top choice going in to this process was CCOM and I have the acceptance in hand, so it will really just be less complicated if MU rejects me. Problem is, I really liked MU after interviewing there and now I can't stop imagining life as a student there. Curses!

As for your choice btwn MU and KCUMB, what are the variables for you? I interviewed there as well, but liked that school better on paper than in person. If it were me and I were comparing just the schools, their programs and their pricetags (not personal issues like proximity to family/friends, etc), I would choose MU hands down over KCUMB. Let us know what you decide.

Manifesting said:
iatrosB: Congratulations on your MU acceptance!!!

Good luck in your decision making process. I have also applied to MD and DO programs, so I may soon be in a similar situation, deciding between MU and CCOM. My top choice going in to this process was CCOM and I have the acceptance in hand, so it will really just be less complicated if MU rejects me. Problem is, I really liked MU after interviewing there and now I can't stop imagining life as a student there. Curses!

As for your choice btwn MU and KCUMB, what are the variables for you? I interviewed there as well, but liked that school better on paper than in person. If it were me and I were comparing just the schools, their programs and their pricetags (not personal issues like proximity to family/friends, etc), I would choose MU hands down over KCUMB. Let us know what you decide.

Your thoughts pretty much epitomize my struggles. At first I wanted to go to KCUMB because of proximity to family/friends etc. I almost didn't even accept my interview at MU because I didn't want to uproot (I am married with a child on the way). We decided to interview there for the heck of it and fell in love. I absolutely love MU and will probably go there. If it weren't for the proximity issue (KCUMB is twenty miles from my house) and family support (both of our families are in the Kansas City area) it wouldn't even be a contest. I cannot say enough good about MU. I am sure that is what I will finaly choose. Good luck in your process and application.

vr4nut said:

I don't think that the "big envelope is good" thoery is true. I am not sure if you got a large envelope but I got an early acceptance on Jan. 3rd and they sent me one letter in a simple business envelope. No email notification. Just a "congratulations" and more to come letter. Then a second envelope two days later that asked for a deposit.

fytnowl05 said:
I don't think that the "big envelope is good" thoery is true. I am not sure if you got a large envelope but I got an early acceptance on Jan. 3rd and they sent me one letter in a simple business envelope. No email notification. Just a "congratulations" and more to come letter. Then a second envelope two days later that asked for a deposit.

Same here. Small envolope that says "you're awesome, we want you, we will contact you soon." and that's it. Also no e-mail notificiation, which had me freaked out.

I don't know how much my two cents counts for here since I'm not applying yet, but I have toured KCUMB twice and I attended MU for part of my undergrad and I have to say that personally I do like MU a little better than KCUMB. KCUMB is a great school, and it's in the KC area (where I'm from, yay KC people!) but I think I just enjoy MU a little better, and I think their med students (first years specifically) are a little less bogged down than KCUMB's. From talking to students at KCUMB, their curriculum is pretty brutal (not that any school's is easy). Ultimately it's your decision though, and having a family and a new baby coming definately doesnt make it easy. Best of luck!

MizzouDrWannabe said:
I don't know how much my two cents counts for here since I'm not applying yet, but I have toured KCUMB twice and I attended MU for part of my undergrad and I have to say that personally I do like MU a little better than KCUMB. KCUMB is a great school, and it's in the KC area (where I'm from, yay KC people!) but I think I just enjoy MU a little better, and I think their med students (first years specifically) are a little less bogged down than KCUMB's. From talking to students at KCUMB, their curriculum is pretty brutal (not that any school's is easy). Ultimately it's your decision though, and having a family and a new baby coming definately doesnt make it easy. Best of luck!

Yeah, I think the students are what is ultimately going to make my decision. The students seemed happier and more laid back at MU. KCUMB also has a dress code and they expect you to wear a shirt and tie which doesn't really mesh with me. I think the students at MU have a lot more fun and I am more of a fun-loving guy than a serious shirt and tie guy. KCUMB seems more of a business/serious atmosphere and I feel unease at a place like that. It is still a great school, just maybe not the best fit for me.

Hello all,

Just got notice that I received a scholarship at MU. Not sure what it's worth yet can anyone help? It states "this scholarship will cover any of your tuition and fees not covered by an educational fee reduction for a dependent for your first year of medical school." Not sure what an educational fee reduction is? I am still learning about what FAFSA is....yeah not so good with the financial/tax info. PM me if you might have a clue....otherwise I will find out on Monday and post an answer.

fytnowl05 said:
Hello all,

Just got notice that I received a scholarship at MU. Not sure what it's worth yet can anyone help? It states "this scholarship will cover any of your tuition and fees not covered by an educational fee reduction for a dependent for your first year of medical school." Not sure what an educational fee reduction is? I am still learning about what FAFSA is....yeah not so good with the financial/tax info. PM me if you might have a clue....otherwise I will find out on Monday and post an answer.

How did you get it? Did you have to apply for it? Cool, good for you :thumbup:

Congratulations, fytnowl05!!! Very cool! I'm happy for you. :D

fytnowl05 said:
Hello all,

Okay so I figured this out. My father is employed by the MU system, which means I am entitled to receive half-price medical school education. At least that is what the educational fee reduction for a dependent is. As long as I don't marry anyone, I will continue to be listed as a dependent on my father. The scholarship I received will cover the other half of tuition and fees that are not covered by the "discount." So as long as I stay single, my medical education will be taken care of....had to break the news slowly to my long-time boyfriend though...I'm much more interested in keeping myself out of debt than marriage in this situation.

fytnowl05 said:
Okay so I figured this out. My father is employed by the MU system, which means I am entitled to receive half-price medical school education. At least that is what the educational fee reduction for a dependent is. As long as I don't marry anyone, I will continue to be listed as a dependent on my father. The scholarship I received will cover the other half of tuition and fees that are not covered by the "discount." So as long as I stay single, my medical education will be taken care of....had to break the news slowly to my long-time boyfriend though...I'm much more interested in keeping myself out of debt than marriage in this situation.

Awesome, sounds like a good decision :thumbup: He will thank you later for it!