Where I did my MPH...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dlung

Postprelim intern oranges
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Perhaps to avoid redundancy and twenty-billion threads, we should just run a thread on where people here did their MPH + characteristics, requirements, admissions info.

School: Northwest Ohio Consortium of Public Health (Bowling Green State, Medical College of Ohio, Univ Toledo)
Majors: Env and Occ Health, Admin, Epi, Health Ed, and something else
How Long: 1-2 years
Thesis/Internship?: One or the other depending on major
Admissions: Easy
Notable Stuff: Good program for dept of health jobs, community-level work, sanitarian/occupational health work, epi/stats jobs

Members don't see this ad.

School & Majors: Mercer University (BS Environmental Science)
Mercer University School of Medicine (MPH concentraion in community based health)

How long?: MPH 2 years

Practicum: HIV Prevention Community Planning Evaluation Project at CDC

Admissions: Easy

Notable stuff: A good program to get an overall application of public health...not just in a specified concentration.

School: Boston Universty School of Public Health
Majors: All areas of Public Health, but I chose International Health
How Long: 1-2 years, but I finished in 1
Thesis/Internship?: both
Admissions: medium
Notable Stuff: Great program, lots of international students, fantastic professors, on same campus as medical, P.h.D and dental schools
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm sure there are more mph students???

AwaPremed said:
i'm sure there are more mph students???

Yes there are. I'm currently at Emory University and in the middle of the med school app process. I graduate in May 2005 and am doing my thesis at the CDC Division of Tuberculosis Elimination.

School: UCLA (undergrad & MPH)
Majors: Community Health Science, Biostatistics, Health Services, Environmental health sciences, Epidemology
Specializations: MS in different culture studies, like Asian American Studies, African American Studies and Latin American Studies
How Long: 1-2 years, most people do 2
Internships: Mandatory in summer between first and second year. Not mandatory for epidemology students and I think not mandatory for biostat students as well.
Admissions: Moderate
Notable Stuff: Very community oriented, with policy emphasis. Epi is not as strong as other private schools like Yale, Harvard or John Hopkins. There are quite a handful of international students. Community Health Science (CHS) is very broard, unlike other schools where they have specific categories within CHS. Great school and program. I recommend you all, if interested to check it out. www.ph.ucla.edu :)

UMDNJ - Combined MD/MPH Program

only one additional year to the traditional MD track

Epidemiology, Public Policy, Health Administration, Health Education.

As long as you're in the MD program MPH tuition is guaranteed

Thesis: Required/ No internship