Rush in Chicago - any opinion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wendyk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read a couple of posts where Rush had rubbed people the wrong way, and I feel no different. I too feel my interviewers were brash and arrogant. No wonder their program director told me that they had openings at advance level. When I asked why, he could not give me good reason. I smell something wrong here.

Any thoughts? Anyone from Rush on this website?

W.

Members don't see this ad.

wendyk said:
I have read a couple of posts where Rush had rubbed people the wrong way, and I feel no different. I too feel my interviewers were brash and arrogant. No wonder their program director told me that they had openings at advance level. When I asked why, he could not give me good reason. I smell something wrong here.

W.

I recently graduated form Rush and really loved the experience. Obviously, if a program "rubs you the wrong way" then it is not for you. That is the whole point in interviewing; to see if you are an apt fit for a particular program. Honestly, not everyone could handle the intensity that Rush offers. You do a high volume of cases in a variety of settings. You WILL be prepared to do ANY case when you finish your residency however. I and all of my friends have had no trouble whatsoever obtaining excellent jobs in both private practice and prestigious academic medical centers upon completion of our residency.

Check the place out and see what you think. Ask VentDependent as he will be a resident there as of next year. I for one am infinitely pleased with the training I received there.

Best of luck to you!

wendyk said:

W.
I had interview there but I didn't feel anything like this.
All interviewers were very nice and answered all my questions. Beside very borrowing presentation by vice-chair it was very pleasant experience for me.
The only thing confusing for me was that we didn't meet many residents - just two of them (one - chief). But, as I understand, they work REALLY HARD, probably one of the most hard working program I've seen. As result they receive excellent well-balanced training (except of trauma).
Also didactic is not as good as it should be, but residents said that it is improving comparing to last years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also interviewd at Rush. Did not think interviewers were arrogant at all. In fact I really enjoyed the interviews with them. Thought that training was likely to be top notch. Ultimately did not go to Rush because of Chicago cost of living and the fact that hardworking to that extreme would have made me awful miserable.

I'll chime in.

Rush is definitely a clinical program. You're going to work your tail off and thats something they don't try and hide. On interview day I didn't feel any arrogance but I didn't exactly feel big friendly wide open warm arms either. I knew what I was getting myself into before match day rolled around and I think the interviews sort of reflected the work environment. No B.S.

Its a place where you are going to have force yourself to do your reading. However I feel any good resident must do this at any program. Thats what seperates the competent from the guy you want to learn from...at least thats what I think. No hand holding there and thats fine with me.

I had solid interviews and offers throughout the country. Ultimately I wanted to stay in Chicago more than anything so I ranked my hometown programs highly. No regrets matching Rush. Its a solid and very well respected program which I believe has a superior caseload both in numbers and in quality/difficulty to other local programs. They have busiest OR's in the city which says something considering the sheer number of academic hospitals in Chicago. Its a "surgical hospital" which bodes well for anesthesiology training. I think NWU has better didactics but those guys are in the OR's all day as well. UofC has the best didactics in my mind, more humane hours, and from what I understand an awsome ICU experience. UIC is laid back with the most sociable folks I met on the trail. Loyola is its own entity with plenty of trauma to go around.

Yes, I'll be more burnt out than my buddies at other places in chitown but I know when I leave Rush I'll be confident in my abilities to handle any onerous complication/case. Plus Chicago rocks.

Hope this is of some use. Back to my admits. Man I can't wait till this month is over.

Rush sound like a real cool gig, especially being in Chitown and all. Why has it not filled the last few years?

If the program is so cool, why didn't they fill in this competitive match?

Induc(junc)tion said:
Rush sound like a real cool gig, especially being in Chitown and all. Why has it not filled the last few years?

Because people don't want to be used as cheap labor.

DrRobert said:
Because people don't want to be used as cheap labor.

Exact feeling I had after I left my interview there.

i got news for everyone. no matter where you go you are cheap labor. the trade off is that (hopefully) you'll get an education in between naps and feeling like a used piece of meat.

The tour guide on my Rush interview looked like he was going to kill himself. I saw plenty of hard-working programs on the interview trail that didn't have suicidal residents. They have less ancillary staff than other places. Facilities are average at best. But most importantly, they just do a lousy job of selling themselves on the interview day.

I met Rush residents who were rotating at Children's who told me flat-out to go elsewhere. I met Rush grads doing fellowships elsewhere who told me flat-out to avoid Rush. They get sweet jobs but who isn't these days? So I went elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how the place is for a 4th year rotation at least?

Induc(junc)tion said:
Anyone know how the place is for a 4th year rotation at least?

Unless that is your parent school, I wouldnt do a rotation anywhere unless that is where you would really like to go.

My experience interviewing at rush was good. They seemed to put their best forward so to speak. I ultimately looked elsewhere for three reasons. No trauma, poor didactics compared to other programs I looked at, and more scutwork due to fewer ancillary staff which results in more work hours(per the chief that toured me around.)

The only problem is, that it may be my only option for the month of June. A lot of places, especially in chicago wont take students in June or July. If I do register, is it considered a faux pas to cancel later if I do find another rotation?

Induc(junc)tion said:
The only problem is, that it may be my only option for the month of June. A lot of places, especially in chicago wont take students in June or July. If I do register, is it considered a faux pas to cancel later if I do find another rotation?

I wouldnt register then cancel. But regardless of what people say It is not imperative that you do the an anesthesia rotation in June/july. You could wait till Aug.

I just want to be clear. Im not saying dont do a rotation there. Besides, If you are already in Chicago then its not a big deal. I just think you have options so dont feel pressured into a decision.

That sounds like an ad for safe sex or Just say no. lol

A lot of programs have to devote a lot of time and energy getting the CA-1s up to speed in June/July. 1:1 supervision in the ORs, daily lectures on the basics. That might be why some programs don't want students then.

I did anesthesia rotations in August and September, ICU in October. I turned out OK. :) PM me if you want info about doing an away at Northwestern.

Not trying to hate on your program Vent because any fan of Prince is a friend of mine.....

I have to be bitter towards Rush because they didn't offer me an interview. I was peeved because I really like Chi-Town. Life found a way though. I guess the only thing I can say about Rush is that it seems to be in a decent part of town.

Soon2BENT said:
Not trying to hate on your program Vent because any fan of Prince is a friend of mine.....

I have to be bitter towards Rush because they didn't offer me an interview. I was peeved because I really like Chi-Town. Life found a way though. I guess the only thing I can say about Rush is that it seems to be in a decent part of town.

Decent part of town? Walk a couple blocks south, past the UIC campus to Roosevelt Rd, or North past I-290 and you might change your oppinion. The inside of Rush looks like it belongs in a very nice neighborhood, where as the inside of UIC, Cook, and the VA all look more fitting. I don't think what's left of the old itallian Taylor Street is enough to make anyone choose Rush for location. People more impressed with how pretty a hospital is or its location will probably be easly drawn towards NWU over Rush.

Rush seems to have a rep of being a stereotypical work-horse program- have no oppinion on this btw, just stating what everyone in chicago says - and they seem to be very choosey when selecting candidates - and I hear (don't know) that board scores are a major factor in this.

Another strange thing to report about Rush....a friend of mine, very smart guy, did not end up matching into a very competitive surgical specialty (I won't say to protect his identity) was contacted by them AFTER the match to fill a PGY-2 spot for next year. He didn't take it, and I thought it was interesting especially since so many people (myself included) got rejected almost as soon as ERAS was submitted, and now Rush is scrambling to fill. Just a little weird, I thought.

yes, i agree with teh above. I matched and itnerviewed at some decent programs. Got denied an interview from Rush. I think it's because Venty purposely told them not to interview me :(

:laugh:
having said that. I think rush is great hospital. Dont know too much about the anesthesiology program aside from teh stuff thats been said on here. The hospital itself is great. THe nurses apparently won this 'magnet' award and their anxillary staff is unparalleled. also when i interviewd there for prelim they told us that if u order something, it gets done super fast (dont know how much benefit that is except when you area pgy1, but thats that.).

residency is prolly hard anywhere. just got to suck it up i guess.

ThinkFast007 said:
yes, i agree with teh above. I matched and itnerviewed at some decent programs. Got denied an interview from Rush. I think it's because Venty purposely told them not to interview me :(

:laugh:
having said that. I think rush is great hospital. Dont know too much about the anesthesiology program aside from teh stuff thats been said on here. The hospital itself is great. THe nurses apparently won this 'magnet' award and their anxillary staff is unparalleled. also when i interviewd there for prelim they told us that if u order something, it gets done super fast (dont know how much benefit that is except when you area pgy1, but thats that.).

residency is prolly hard anywhere. just got to suck it up i guess.

put down the bottle, think.