Pay of MD or an DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MK017

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read plenty of posts of the positive and negative of DO vs. MD and talked to some MD and DO's that insist that once you get out in the "real world" nobody cares where you went to school, if your an MD or a DO, but more about how you practice medicine and how you get along with the people you work with.

Of an MD and an DO in the same hospital, with the same experience and case load, specialty ect. Is there a pay difference?

Members don't see this ad.

Same billing codes = Same Pay. Some MD's have taken CME credits recently for mini-courses on OMM & of course, "How to Properly Bill for OMT." There is no difference in pay.

I was recently talking to a third year DO student and asked them if he had experiences any biases towards allopathic students. He said that actually, most DO students have a lot more biases towards allopathic students. I found this weird, and this may only be in this one person's head, so, who knows. I did find it extremely amusing though!

Members don't see this ad :)
MK017 said:
I've read plenty of posts of the positive and negative of DO vs. MD and talked to some MD and DO's that insist that once you get out in the "real world" nobody cares where you went to school, if your an MD or a DO, but more about how you practice medicine and how you get along with the people you work with.

Of an MD and an DO in the same hospital, with the same experience and case load, specialty ect. Is there a pay difference?

No, you are hired for the same job. It is like having a B.A. or B.S.

There is no difference in the field.

They do the same work, granted they are in same speciality, thus the pay has to be the same. However, the number of referrals should also have an impact on doctor's salary, correct me if I am wrong.

Sam212 said:
They do the same work, granted they are in same speciality, thus the pay has to be the same. However, the number of referrals should also have an impact on doctor's salary, correct me if I am wrong.
As long as you are a good doc you will get referrals. DO, MD, it doesn't matter its all about being a good doc.

DO's do get reimbursed the same for the work they do, but their average incomes are lower because they typically get less volume than MD's.

homealone3 said:
DO's do get reimbursed the same for the work they do, but their average incomes are lower because they typically get less volume than MD's.

:thumbdown:

Not true. Let's see some statistical data that involves a controlled study.

D.O.'s & M.D.'s working in the same clinic/hospital will have the same volume & pay.

If you compare an M.D. neurosurgeon in an urban area compared to a family practice D.O. in a small town, then you could argue that M.D.'s and D.O.'s are paid differently.

But you would just look stupid. We could switch the positions, and we could make the opposite conclusion.

In order to make the comparison, you would need an M.D. and a D.O. that share the same clinic---you would see the pay is the same. The M.D. in this case wouldn't get a higher patient volume---they would share it equally.

You're right about physicians employed by hospitals; DO's and MD's of the same specialty generally get paid the same salary in that case. I was referring to physicians of the same specialty in private practice. And notice I said average incomes, there are ofcourse exceptions. Sorry I failed to clarify.

homealone3 said:
You're right about physicians employed by hospitals; DO's and MD's of the same specialty generally get paid the same salary in that case. I was referring to physicians of the same specialty in private practice. And notice I said average incomes, there are ofcourse exceptions. Sorry I failed to clarify.

Physicians of the same specialty in private practice:

There is not a statistically significant difference in incomes of M.D.'s vs. D.O.'s.

If you continue to be convinced of this fact, however untrue it may be, perhaps you should submit to us some statistics on the matter.

OSUdoc08 said:
If you compare an M.D. neurosurgeon in an urban area compared to a family practice D.O. in a small town, then you could argue that M.D.'s and D.O.'s are paid differently.

But you would just look stupid. We could switch the positions, and we could make the opposite conclusion.

D.O.s make up a very small percentage of neurosurgeons.. (a smaller proportion of neurosurgery spots go to DOs than the proportion of DOs to MDs)

to answer the OP, DOs and MDs make the same amount of money within the same specialty. However, if you are deeply concerned with specializing in a high paying field, you may have an easier time as an allopath.

U4iA said:
D.O.s make up a very small percentage of neurosurgeons.. (a smaller proportion of neurosurgery spots go to DOs than the proportion of DOs to MDs)

to answer the OP, DOs and MDs make the same amount of money within the same specialty. However, if you are deeply concerned with specializing in a high paying field, you may have an easier time as an allopath.

:thumbup: Agreed.

You can make youself competitive with good clinical grades and a high USMLE/COMLEX score.

It doesn't matter in the less competitive specialties, where you can apply to both residency types.

U4iA said:

I once asked a DO that I work with if she experianced any biases. She said it was harder as a DO to get some kinds of fellowships, and the preference is for MD's. So with that said it might be harder to get into a higher paying field as a DO, of course once you get there the pay is the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
aegis said:
I once asked a DO that I work with if she experianced any biases. She said it was harder as a DO to get some kinds of fellowships, and the preference is for MD's. So with that said it might be harder to get into a higher paying field as a DO, of course once you get there the pay is the same.

Yeah, but let's not get greedy. You will pretty much be highly paid in any specialty. You don't have to be in a super-subspecialty to be successful.

I know fp D.O.s making 250k a year and I know M.D. Plastic surgeons who wish they were sheetmetal workers!! Just do what makes you happy. D.O.s make the same money it all depends on how you run your business! The only advantage a D.O. has is OMT and some choose not to even practice OMT. I know D.O. cardiologist who make 500k and work in a group practice with M.D.s

but to an individual who is hellbent on ophtho, derm, oto, or some of the more competitive IM sub-specialties (regardless of whether money is a factor or not), the MD may be the path of least resistance..

U4iA said:
but to an individual who is hellbent on ophtho, derm, oto, or some of the more competitive IM sub-specialties (regardless of whether money is a factor or not), the MD may be the path of least resistance..

Most of those IM specialties are abundant as AOA residencies however, so it shouldn't matter.

The more difficult ones would be the surgical subspecialties.

We have an ENT/Facial Plastic Surgery residency at our school hospital, and down in Texas, the D.O. school is starting a Cardiothoracic surgery next year, however.

Who wants to dig on skin or eyes all day long!! You can get anything you want if you have what it takes. People are constanly on this forum stating that things are out of reach for D.O.s not quite!! We can get anything we want; granted there are still some narrow minded individuals that think we are beneath them b/c we did'nt have tons of research in undergrad and did'nt kiss profs a$$es to get all A's. Oh yeah and daddy did'nt pay for undergrad so I worked 50 hrs a week and still graduated with honors! I did'nt think I would fit in anyway!! :D

OSUdoc08 said:
Most of those IM specialties are abundant as AOA residencies however, so it shouldn't matter.

The more difficult ones would be the surgical subspecialties.

Not really sure what you mean. Cards and GI fellowships are very tough to come by.

Yes they are tough to come by for anyone trying to land a spot not just D.O.s

allendo said:
Who wants to dig on skin or eyes all day long!! You can get anything you want if you have what it takes. People are constanly on this forum stating that things are out of reach for D.O.s not quite!! We can get anything we want; granted there are still some narrow minded individuals that think we are beneath them b/c we did'nt have tons of research in undergrad and did'nt kiss profs a$$es to get all A's. Oh yeah and daddy did'nt pay for undergrad so I worked 50 hrs a week and still graduated with honors! I did'nt think I would fit in anyway!! :D
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Bravo!

allendo said:

i am not belittling osteopathy in any way. i am just trying to inform a potential student that certain highly competitive specialties are in some cases more difficult for osteopaths to attain because of the way the system is set up. the deck is stacked in the favor of the allopathic majority. if you disagree with this fact, talk to a forth year who is aiming for a highly competitive spot or some current residents who are in one.

i understand if you are sensitive or even upset because people do not give osteopathy the respect it deserves. however, there are some differences between the post-grad opportunities for osteopaths and allopaths; instead of being blissfully ignorant, you should become aware of these differences.

U4iA said:
i understand if you are sensitive or even upset because people do not give osteopathy the respect it deserves. however, there are some differences between the post-grad opportunities for osteopaths and allopaths; instead of being blissfully ignorant, you should become aware of these differences.

We're not blissfully ignorant. It's that most people are ignorant of the post-graduate opportunities open to DO graduates.

Competitive residencies are competitive for everyone. The degree the applicant holds is most likely the least critical of all factors. I doubt you'll hear a PD say "Well...this DO has excellent board scores and after interviewing him seems to be an outstanding clinician. However, I think I'll take this average guy simply because he's got an MD."

The reason many DO students belittle their "chances" at competitive residencies isn't due to blissful ignorance but optimism. After all, DOs can apply to very juicy residencies (optho, derm, neurosurg, ortho) that are open only to DO graduates.

For example, if you look at the Ohio CORE system of osteopathic hospitals, there are several residencies that are considered "competitive" and very desirable. The programs make it very clear (you can even read it in their websites) that they are only open to DOs and that preference is given to applicants that graduated from CORE hospitals. How cool is that? That reduces the level of competition significantly. If I'm interested in orthopedics or neurosurgery and I complete all my rotations and internship at a CORE hospital (which I will), as long as I perform well in my rotations and do well on the Boards I have a decent chance of matching into those programs. An applicant competing with me for one of those spots that comes from a system outside the CORE will have to be superior to me in order to be considered over me (very possible, but still better than having the entire nation competing for my spot, as is the case with ACGME residencies).

Anyway, sorry for the wordiness. Bottom line: Every DO student is aware of how difficult it is to match into competitive residencies (whether MD or DO residencies). It's just conforting to know that we have access to the MD match as well as our own DO-exclusive match. The number of graduates from all the DO schools in the country don't provide the same brutal competition than the huge number of grads from MD schools, not to mention that only a small percent of DO grads are actually interested in sub-specialties. Most of us are interested in primary care, which decreases the competition even more.

Shinken said:
We're not blissfully ignorant. It's that most people are ignorant of the post-graduate opportunities open to DO graduates.

Competitive residencies are competitive for everyone. The degree the applicant holds is most likely the least critical of all factors. I doubt you'll hear a PD say "Well...this DO has excellent board scores and after interviewing him seems to be an outstanding clinician. However, I think I'll take this average guy simply because he's got an MD."

The reason many DO students belittle their "chances" at competitive residencies isn't due to blissful ignorance but optimism. After all, DOs can apply to very juicy residencies (optho, derm, neurosurg, ortho) that are open only to DO graduates.

For example, if you look at the Ohio CORE system of osteopathic hospitals, there are several residencies that are considered "competitive" and very desirable. The programs make it very clear (you can even read it in their websites) that they are only open to DOs and that preference is given to applicants that graduated from CORE hospitals. How cool is that? That reduces the level of competition significantly. If I'm interested in orthopedics or neurosurgery and I complete all my rotations and internship at a CORE hospital (which I will), as long as I perform well in my rotations and do well on the Boards I have a decent chance of matching into those programs. An applicant competing with me for one of those spots that comes from a system outside the CORE will have to be superior to me in order to be considered over me (very possible, but still better than having the entire nation competing for my spot, as is the case with ACGME residencies).

Anyway, sorry for the wordiness. Bottom line: Every DO student is aware of how difficult it is to match into competitive residencies (whether MD or DO residencies). It's just conforting to know that we have access to the MD match as well as our own DO-exclusive match. The number of graduates from all the DO schools in the country don't provide the same brutal competition than the huge number of grads from MD schools, not to mention that only a small percent of DO grads are actually interested in sub-specialties. Most of us are interested in primary care, which decreases the competition even more.

Check out this post about the problems that you might have getting a competitive fellowship if you do an AOA IM residency. Also see this post about the difficulties a DO student is having on the allopathic surgical trail. Realize that DO residencies are extremely geographically limited and they don't even exist for certain specialties.

bobo, DO

homealone3 said:
Oooh...risky assumption :eek: You have to provide some data to back that one up. :scared:

To U41A,
I'm not sensetive to the subject!! I just hate the fact that the M.D. world keeps trying to tell us b/c we have different letters behind our name we are unable to enter the majical M.D. realm of medicine. Plenty of D.O.s match into allo programs. Check out Vanderbilt or Dartmouth residency programs Oh Oh whats that D.O. behind that guys name! They have infiltrated our stone walls call in the reinforcements, put the IMG's on the front lines. Lets see the list could go on. U of Kansas, Mercy in Pitt, Penn State Hershey, Suncoast hospital Largo, Fl, Rush, Stony Brook Univ, UT Galveston, UMDNJ-RWJ, Univ of Maryland, Temple, Univ of Rochester, Umass, Einstein, Lahey clinic TUFTS Program, Brown, Cleveland Clinic, IU, U of Minn, M.D. Anderson. Do you want me to list more. Keep believing that we are below you and that we are not allowed in your world. Not crying just have confidence in myself that I will be a kick a$$ student, resident, maybe fellow if I decide and Doctor!! Any questions???? :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

homealone3 said:

well, specifically, since you spoke generally...

1) the average DO does get paid slightly less since most DOs go into primary care where the ave salary for the specialty is 130k-190k, however since they do go into primary care, their ave salary may be higher than the average MD since DOs can also perform OMM.
2) the average DO sees a HIGHER volume of patients because, most DOs go into primary care.

also would like to point out that there are DOs in every field and specialty. There are DOs who are heading up the departments in nearly every specialty, and I would also like to wager, that since there are about 5% of all docs are DOs and those 5% see about 10% of all patients, that:
1) DOs actually see a higher volume
2) DOs know DOs, so the specialized DOs get more referals.

i know, lets argue about how students who graduated from school a will earn more money (since money is all that matters) than students who graduated from school b? that seems just as plausable and it is really what is going on here. we could be more generalized, such as all southern schools will get you a job paying 10000 per year and all nothern schools will get you a job paying 100000 per year.

yay, more pointless, mindnumbing, unfounded arguing... that is what sdn is all about right? i think we are all entertaining a troll. personally i dont care about the monetary reward because there are a ton of rewards to me besides that. the money is there in the field, and in every other endeavor you may try. if you want the money, you can get it if you work for it, MD or DO, it wont just be handed to you.

allendo said:
To U41A,
I'm not sensetive to the subject!! I just hate the fact that the M.D. world keeps trying to tell us b/c we have different letters behind our name we are unable to enter the majical M.D. realm of medicine. Plenty of D.O.s match into allo programs. Check out Vanderbilt or Dartmouth residency programs Oh Oh whats that D.O. behind that guys name! They have infiltrated our stone walls call in the reinforcements, put the IMG's on the front lines. Lets see the list could go on. U of Kansas, Mercy in Pitt, Penn State Hershey, Suncoast hospital Largo, Fl, Rush, Stony Brook Univ, UT Galveston, UMDNJ-RWJ, Univ of Maryland, Temple, Univ of Rochester, Umass, Einstein, Lahey clinic TUFTS Program, Brown, Cleveland Clinic, IU, U of Minn, M.D. Anderson. Do you want me to list more. Keep believing that we are below you and that we are not allowed in your world. Not crying just have confidence in myself that I will be a kick a$$ student, resident, maybe fellow if I decide and Doctor!! Any questions???? :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

you are totally missing my point. i know that any DO can get an allopathic residency at a good allopathic institution. but there are certain SPECIALTIES that are extremely competitive and because of the competition MDs tend to be chosen over DOs. i love osteopathy, i just wish the post-grad opportunities were equal for MDs and DOs with comparable backgrounds and achievements. they are not. MDs tend to have an advantage when it comes to very competitive SPECIALTIES. i hope this time i was clear enough that you will understand what i'm trying to say.

also, there is a geographic limitation to the DO degree. of course i know DOs can practice legally in all US states, and you can disagree with me all you want, but in certain states DOs do not fair as well as in others.

U4iA said:
you are totally missing my point. i know that any DO can get an allopathic residency at a good allopathic institution. but there are certain SPECIALTIES that are extremely competitive and because of the competition MDs tend to be chosen over DOs. i love osteopathy, i just wish the post-grad opportunities were equal for MDs and DOs with comparable backgrounds and achievements. they are not. MDs tend to have an advantage when it comes to very competitive SPECIALTIES. i hope this time i was clear enough that you will understand what i'm trying to say.

also, there is a geographic limitation to the DO degree. of course i know DOs can practice legally in all US states, and you can disagree with me all you want, but in certain states DOs do not fair as well as in others.

certain states eh? like??? maybe those super smart big city folk hate us? wait a minute, there is a DO school close to nearly all of the big cities in the country... hmm well maybe the hick country folk? even though they cannot read "DO" or "MD" surely they will still hate us right? odd that DOs tend to go into primary care in rural areas moreso that MD's on average. you have a lot to try to prove with these statements you just gave.

all you have to your story here is ramblings...

Yes,
I understand the tough specialties are are almost impossible for a D.O. to penetrate, I was speaking of Im, Cardio, Anesth, Peds, OBGYN, Onc, GI. I understand that Derm, neursurg, ortho, cardiovasc and so on are very rare for a D.O. to get in. Yes some staes D.O. dont fare as well. I'm from south Texas and they do very well here. Yes the salaries are usually on average lower b/c most are in primary care. This arises from the fact that most D.O. are on their second career and had families when entering school and did not want a long tenure residency. But yes I agree your not going to see a D.O. cheif resident at Mayo. No hard feelings!! I just like the nature of debate! :D

allendo said:
Yes,
I understand the tough specialties are are almost impossible for a D.O. to penetrate, I was speaking of Im, Cardio, Anesth, Peds, OBGYN, Onc, GI. I understand that Derm, neursurg, ortho, cardiovasc and so on are very rare for a D.O. to get in. Yes some staes D.O. dont fare as well. I'm from south Texas and they do very well here. Yes the salaries are usually on average lower b/c most are in primary care. This arises from the fact that most D.O. are on their second career and had families when entering school and did not want a long tenure residency. But yes I agree your not going to see a D.O. cheif resident at Mayo. No hard feelings!! I just like the nature of debate! :D

this is a thread you should all read...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=172388

cooldreams said:
all you have to your story here is ramblings...

as you embark on your medical school journey, it may benefit you to realize that you don't know everything. medical school is a humbling experience and you must embrace the idea that other people may have validity in their claims and that these people may be able to introduce you to alternate points of view. you prevent your own growth by attacking people for presenting their point of view which may be supported by more experience than you have.

cooldreams said:
you have a lot to try to prove with these statements you just gave.

i said "in certain states DOs do not fair as well as in others". Unless you think that DOs fair EQUALLY well in all states (which has a probability of 0) i need not provide any further proof. maybe you live in a state where DOs do very well, but not all of us do. I am just saying that one should understand that the MD degree has a little more flexibility in terms of practicing in the US and abroad than the DO.

U4iA said:
i said "in certain states DOs do not fair as well as in others". Unless you think that DOs fair EQUALLY well in all states (which has a probability of 0) i need not provide any further proof. maybe you live in a state where DOs do very well, but not all of us do. I am just saying that one should understand that the MD degree has a little more flexibility in terms of practicing in the US and abroad than the DO.

M.D.'s can't treat Somatic Dysfunction. Therefore, how can they be "flexible?"

U4iA said:

wait wait wait... what you said was lets see....

"also, there is a geographic limitation to the DO degree. of course i know DOs can practice legally in all US states, and you can disagree with me all you want, but in certain states DOs do not fair as well as in others"

your statement is not as simple as state x does not equal state z, but rather is attempting to allude to the notion that DOs cannot practice in some states. i.e. "geographic limitation" maybe we should repeat what you said a 1000 more times? nah...too boring...

if infact you did not mean "geographic limitation" but rather "EQUALLY well in all" in its place. that is a completely different subject, and you would need to clarify your ENTIRE statement as such. :sleep:

U4iA said:
as you embark on your medical school journey, it may benefit you to realize that you don't know everything. medical school is a humbling experience and you must embrace the idea that other people may have validity in their claims and that these people may be able to introduce you to alternate points of view. you prevent your own growth by attacking people for presenting their point of view which may be supported by more experience than you have.

oh yea, i am sure it is such an experience. but the FACTS still remain, that quite simply, you have none. ;)

We have all read the thread about getting into allo surgery. Not every applicant is as qualified as others so we cant take this story and apply it broadly. Also, remember surgery is still closed minded toward D.O.s coming in. And the list could also include Rads, neurosurg, and on..... Yes when you apply for something as competetive as gen surg alllo then yes doors will be shut. I want to know what limits are placed on D.O. practice in states. We take national exams and go to accredited schools. Havent heard anything this!! But a D.O. is licensed for every state in the U.S. and can practice in most provinces in Canada without restriction. There is a thread about D.O. practicing abroad, most countries will allow you to practice and recognize the degree. I think England and Ireland will not b/c their osteopaths function like chiropractors. So the thing about our license is crap it is being recognized and will continue to grow. People make it sound like were IMG's PS: the cayman islands recognizes us why would you want to practice anywhere else!

allendo said:
We have all read the thread about getting into allo surgery. Not every applicant is as qualified as others so we cant take this story and apply it broadly. Also, remember surgery is still closed minded toward D.O.s coming in. And the list could also include Rads, neurosurg, and on..... Yes when you apply for something as competetive as gen surg alllo then yes doors will be shut. I want to know what limits are placed on D.O. practice in states. We take national exams and go to accredited schools. Havent heard anything this!! But a D.O. is licensed for every state in the U.S. and can practice in most provinces in Canada without restriction. There is a thread about D.O. practicing abroad, most countries will allow you to practice and recognize the degree. I think England and Ireland will not b/c their osteopaths function like chiropractors. So the thing about our license is crap it is being recognized and will continue to grow. People make it sound like were IMG's PS: the cayman islands recognizes us why would you want to practice anywhere else!

worse, they are trying to make us sound like 1st graders in a world of phd's... what in the world man....

if you guys want to keep on saying unfounded things about osteopathy, i cant stop you. you could say everything, and then mix that mess with itself and keep spewing messes all over the place. whatever makes you happy i guess. show facts. show proof positive of your statements. i know you cant, becuase it does not exist. you base everything on your personal opinion and limited experiences. if i were to do the same, then i could say ALL MDs HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DIAGNOS A FLU. that was great wasnt it? there is my opinion based on my limited experiences. proof? who needs proof? i will just say what i want because my experineces and opinions tell me it is true.

furthermore, i know some residencies will make it harder for DOs to get into the specialty they want. thats fine, i dont care, and it is changing. you should all know that:
1) this has all been discussed only about MD residencies.
2) there exists a large number of DO residencies that will close their doors to MDs, just because of their title as well.
3) the competitive specialties are named as such because they are competitive. if you want to get into one, you need to be competitive as well.
4) if you decide, as a DO, that the world is out to get you and you will never be able to get into any residency becauise of the simple fact you are a DO, then you have already lost the race. if you want to get to a residency, prepare yourself to get into it. read up on what they want, what stats you need, who you need to talk to, etc etc etc. if you want to get it, then work for it. there ARE DOs in all specialties because THEY WANTED TO GET THERE AND THEY WORKED FOR IT.

you will get out of it what you put in...

Yeah surgery at D.O. schools is taught using the operation game. That's probably the latest rumor. :cool: Essentially we are all incompetent mongoloids in the eyes of the allmighty, uptight, research oriented, poindexter M.D.'s. Forgive us allmight ones for being so dumb and realizing there is more to medicine than medicine. Those who just place their faith in human creations are missing the whole point.

This thread has gone beyond the original purpose of being "informative", to the useless purpose of being argumentative.

Seriously, to both sides... how will the average salary of MDs or DOs affect you? Will you feel better, if you happen to be making $100k as a MD, knowing that other MDs are doing better? Will you feel worse, if you're making $800k as a DO, knowing that other DOs are earning less?

Prospective DOs should understand that in some specialties (like surgery), they will be at a severe disadvantage. And that in competing for some residencies, they will be at a disadvantage. And yet in most residencies, DOs will have an "equal" shot to MDs. That's really all we need to know. The decisions and actions we take from here on out with that in mind is all that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.